Author Topic: Duke Nukem Forever  (Read 39059 times)

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Re: Duke Nukem Forever
« Reply #75 on: June 12, 2011, 10:36:32 AM »
Just show him Commando. It will be all the fathering you will ever need to do.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #76 on: June 12, 2011, 11:30:26 AM »
I'm jealous...
You can still see the stream on justin.tv.  Is it worth your time?  No. The game was miserable. The first half hour or hour was decent, funny, or something like that. The rest? Very dull, unintuitive FPS without any of the humor everyone was expecting.

What Jason said. This game is pretty bad. We almost finished it yesterday morning and it really doesn't get any better. It could've succeeded had it kept its humorous undertones, but once they disappear, so does the fun because the actual gameplay is weak.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 12, 2011, 11:36:31 AM »
Dunno, the gameplay seemed to get a bit better after the first parts.

Also multiplayer actually has lag compensation, that's rare these days as everybody just uses the awful Unreal Engine.

Offline Traveller

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 12, 2011, 11:37:07 PM »
I got the 360 version. The game runs pretty well overall for me. There has been a tiny amount of screen tearing, and sometimes the frame rate sputters for a couple of seconds when there are a lot of explosions and enemies of screen.

Gameplay wise, I have to say its better than what I was expecting. I was a little worried after reading peoples thoughts on the demo, but I have found that the demo seems to be far worse than the finished product. Its fun interacting with different objects in the enviroment, and so far has had good variety locations of the levels themselves. The Hive level, reminds you of something from a Metroid game possibly, in terms of looks.

Its not all just shooting over and over again either, the game is broken up with small platforming areas, aswell as some basic puzzle solving. It is also fun to drive the remote controlled cars. I havnt touched the multiplayer yet, but im hearing it is good fun. Controls are fine aswell, I dropped the sensitivity down one notch and has felt pretty good overall.

Btw I wasnt a Duke fan before getting the game, so I have no real nostalgia for the character or Duke 3D. Yes its crude humour and at times over the top, but if it doesnt bother you or you can chuckle at such things every now and then, you will find a fun, colourful FPS, that is in ways a throwback to a time when shooters werent all completely serious and actually offered more to the player than simply killing lots of enemies.

Some elements of the game may seem a little dated, but overall it is enjoyable so far. Try it out, it wont be as bad as many are making it out to be. I may even go download Duke 3D later on.

EDIT: Forgot a major thing that is really bad, and that are the load times. The game takes ages to load the levels, im talking PS1 levels of load times here.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 11:57:05 PM by Traveller »
Nicholas Bray - Australian Correspondent

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 13, 2011, 03:01:08 AM »
These 360 players...

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 13, 2011, 10:04:18 AM »
EDIT: Forgot a major thing that is really bad, and that are the load times. The game takes ages to load the levels, im talking PS1 levels of load times here.

Ditch the 360. The levels load too quick for me to go get a refill on my PC.

I'm liking it so far. I really, really wish they hadn't given it consolitis though. Having to hide behind objects like a coward to regain health is lame. Likewise, being limited to two guns at a time just means that I never get to have fun simply "playing" with the weapons.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 13, 2011, 12:25:46 PM »
I heard talk of a PC mod that will allow more than two weapons. One of the devs did a sly tweet about it.

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 13, 2011, 01:55:03 PM »
I wouldn't doubt it. Assuming the game is still based on the Unreal 2 Engine, it shouldn't take much to mod around some of the dumber design decisions. The real question is whether or not there's enough community interest to make it happen.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 14, 2011, 03:24:17 AM »
I like it so far!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 14, 2011, 12:43:24 PM »

Ditch the 360. The levels load too quick for me to go get a refill on my PC.

That's why they ask you to press a key after the loading is done :P: . But yeah, the PC version is by far the best as confirmed by Digital Foundry. The console ports are botched, especially the 360 one.

I'm liking it so far. I really, really wish they hadn't given it consolitis though. Having to hide behind objects like a coward to regain health is lame. Likewise, being limited to two guns at a time just means that I never get to have fun simply "playing" with the weapons.

Yeah, while I can understand the regenerating ego I don't like the 2 weapon inventory, that's complete crap for a game so heavily connected to the original FPS days (though it was pretty predictable that the level design wouldn't be as non-linear as it was back in those days). I only played the original EGA Duke Nukum and the GBA game much so I don't really know DN3D but even the GBA had a full weapon inventory.

Also since I mention it in every other DNF thread I've posted in: I dug up Necrovision from the dark corners of my Steam games list, it's pretty much what I was hoping to get from DNF (well, minus the whole occult angle Necrovision has going on). Rushing in faster than the Doom marine, shooting a ton of dudes with dual heavy machine guns while clobbering others in melee with my fist and boot and throwing out one liners. Especially liked it when my character went "dead or alive, you're coming with me" after turning a dead enemy into a zombie slave.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 12:49:39 PM by KDR_11k »

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 14, 2011, 02:02:47 PM »
Yeah, its amazing how much slower FPS games are nowadays versus back in the 90's. Another thing that has change is the perspective, it seemed wider back then.

My favorite part of Forever, just like DN3D, is the interaction with the environments. The cool thing is you can increase your life bar by doing certain things. For example, if can sink all the pool balls without scratching the cue ball, you get an ego (life bar) boost. Same with shooting a basket.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 14, 2011, 02:13:57 PM »
I've been watching the Giant Bomb Quick Look for this game out of morbid curiosity.  It's nice to see that it turned out just as terrible as I always thought it would, and the Quick Look is pretty hilarious (all the sighing at the lame Duke lines is great).
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 14, 2011, 04:23:37 PM »
It's nice to see that it turned out just as terrible as I always thought it would

This sums it up.

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 14, 2011, 06:02:31 PM »
Another thing that has change is the perspective, it seemed wider back then.

It was. Your general FOV is terrible nowadays, especially since widescreen displays are so common place. You can usually fix this with a quick config file tweak, but the fact that you even have to is a sad testament to just how much the console gamer is catered to.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 16, 2011, 01:48:49 AM »
Remember that old picture of the tattered gamestop preorder for Duke Nukem Forever?

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 16, 2011, 12:15:12 PM »
I just finished the game last night on the hardest difficulty. There's plenty of action, loads of humor, and everything works out pretty well. Duke is completely over the top, and as far as the personality goes, the Duke absolutely delivers. The game takes a funny, if not ironic, shot at Halo in one scene. There's even an updated reference to the old "That's one Doomed space marine" joke, which was pretty funny.

The weapons all felt pretty decent. The two-weapon system, surprisingly enough, doesn't seem to be as bad as I thought. Usually there's another gun laying around that's appropriate for the situation, and I have run out of ammo once where I was down to just fists and no pipe bombs, wondering if I was going to get killed. The lack of health kits has been replaced a bit with ammo management in some spots. The weapon limit seemed to steer me away from simply "playing with" the weapons, as I routinely passed over more specialized tools like the Freeze Ray and Shrinking Gun. Trip mines seem to work best for me tossed like a grenade so an enemy can do something stupid or for extra bang in a fight when set off by a pipe bomb. What's great is that anything that can be picked up can be used as a thrown weapon. I've killed aliens with some pretty odd stuff.

Enemies are downright groovy. The troopers and assault captains are visually a lot more developed than in DN3D and the special effects on the captains' teleport and jetpack effects are very well done. Pigs are nastier than ever. They're not as comical as in DN3D. They're vicious, tough, and all-around mean. Yes, the assault commanders still poop rockets at you. If you thought bird poop was dangerous, stay away from those guys.

If I have to peg the game on one thing it's lack of quicksave and the old-style slot-based save system. If they had included that on the PC version it would have been huge. I can deal with the checkpoints but I've never been a fan of that system. Consolitis there, but I don't consider it game-breaking. There are some slower spots in the game play, but hell, wandering around looking for secrets in DN3D could be pretty slow too, and they don't feel like the break anything to me. DNF is a lot more linear in that regard however.

As for the "mature" content, there is a lot of sexual humor present. There's a lot of... what is the word for it... similarities in some things and resemblance to anatomical structures as well for lack of a better description. There is no option to disable nudity as with DN3D either. It is definitely not a kid's game nor does it pretend to be, and there's also severe language. I don't have a problem with this as I expected it.

I would not say there's anything particularly ground-breaking about the game. There's nothing that hasn't been done before as far as basic game play elements. You do get a lot of fun stuff in the world to play with, and you're rewarded for looking for secrets. I don't think anyone should be expecting this to be "the best game ever made". If the question is, as I think it should be, "Is this a good sequel to DN3D?"  The answer to that is YES.  It has almost everything I'd want to see in a Duke Nukem game, except for quicksave and maybe being able to carry a few extra guns. I'm pretty pleased with what I've played. It's not perfect, but pretty darn fun.  I have no regrets about pre-ordering. Vaporware no more, baby!

Edit: I haven't tried the multiplayer yet, but it looks like it should be a blast. Things like the Holoduke and Jetpack will be particularly interesting. You also get to rack of points in order to decorate your Duke Mansion with funny paintings, statues, and even NPC babes.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 02:51:40 PM by Morari »

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #91 on: June 16, 2011, 12:37:22 PM »
I'm pleased to hear at least somebody is enjoying this game. I haven't played it yet but I feel like I would enjoy it since I liked Duke3D and don't really buy into game reviews at large.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 16, 2011, 12:47:56 PM »
I like the slow parts of the game, refreshing compared to the "Go!Go!Go!" mentality of the COD series. Heck, I'd play a whole game of Duke Walking around, talking to people, solving puzzles and playing pinball.

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 16, 2011, 02:47:45 PM »
Yeah. I think the slower parts were actually among my favorite. The beginning in Duke Tower, and later at Titty City, were both great levels. The interactivity present during the slower levels are great if nothing else. I was actually pretty fond of the "mini-man" styled levels as well. The one in Duke Burger, that has you rescuing an employee from an electrified floor in particular. It was so drastically different in tone, going as far as being more a platforming level than a shooter.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 10, 2011, 06:14:40 PM »
Finally finished the game, pretty good. Not great, but pretty good. Duke Nukem Forever has made me finally swear off game reviews and game reviewers. They are by-and-large bad at their job.

Halfway through playing this I played some co-op Halo 3: ODST at my cousin's place. Man, the single player of that game SUCKS in comparison to Duke Nukem Forever. Bad story telling, bland art direction, poorly structured boring levels. Yet the game reviews slobbered all over it.

I've been enjoying the multiplayer as well, I like the trophy room.

The unlocked screens and videos of the Duke Nukem Forever development was a nice bonus too.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 10, 2011, 09:45:29 PM »
I agree with ShyGuy, people who work for game sites and write game reviews are awful and should be ignored completely.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #96 on: July 10, 2011, 09:48:44 PM »
So upon further review, the only good thing to come out of Duke Nukem Forever is this video.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 10, 2011, 10:17:43 PM »
You no longer deserve a tag line.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 10, 2011, 10:18:35 PM »
I agree with ShyGuy, people who work for game sites and write game reviews are awful and should be ignored completely.

Oh your fine for news, previews and editorials, but when it comes to reviews, you are all worthless.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 10, 2011, 11:23:41 PM »
I have a rule for myself that I don't read reviews for games I already know I want. There are plenty of games where I disagree with the consensus of the press, and I let myself make up my own mind. I get burned once in a while, but just as often find something I really like that most reviewers didn't.

On the other hand, reviews can be pretty handy when I'm on the edge on something, and have at times convinced me something I wasn't interested in was worth my time and I ended up falling in love with it.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent