Author Topic: How should I pick up Chrono Trigger and FF:IV  (Read 18406 times)

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
How should I pick up Chrono Trigger and FF:IV
« on: April 17, 2011, 09:07:28 AM »
It seems that Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy IV is considered the best games ever by a lot of people I haven't played them yet.  Trying to figure which version to get.

Wait for them on VC.

Get the DS Versions: http://www.amazon.com/Final-Fantasy-IV-Nintendo-DS/dp/B00184219U/ref=sr_1_2?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1303045039&sr=1-2 and http://www.amazon.com/Chrono-Trigger-Nintendo-DS/dp/B001E27DLM/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1303045349&sr=1-1

Get the PS Compilation Disc: http://www.amazon.com/Final-Fantasy-Chronicles-Chrono-Trigger-Playstation/dp/B00005LOXE/ref=sr_1_2?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1303045482&sr=1-2

Get his uber collection: http://www.amazon.com/Final-Fantasy-Classic-Collection-Trigger-Playstation/dp/B000F7W916/ref=sr_1_6?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1303045536&sr=1-6

I'm leaning towards the DS game because of the time it will take to complete these games be easier to carve out on a portable with only 1 Viable TV in the house.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 11:40:47 AM by Ceric »
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
Re: How should I pick up Chrono Trigger and FF:IV
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 02:51:48 PM »
Waiting for the VC release of Chrono Trigger would probably be the cheapest option. The DS version looks pretty solid, but one of the best parts of the game is the music which would take a huge hit in sound quality coming out of the pitiful DS speakers.

If you have a PSP then the Final Fantasy IV Complete Collection is the way to go. Otherwise, the PlayStation version is a better choice, as I believe it received a better translation than the original SNES version. Though I think the GBA version has a similar translation, so it may be the choice for you if you want a portable version.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 02:52:24 PM »
There's really nothing wrong with the original version of Chrono Trigger, and it's the version I would recommend picking up if you can wait for it.  Now, Chrono Trigger had minor translation issues that got tightened up in later retranslations, but they were so minor that it doesn't matter all that much IMO.  And hey, you can enjoy Crono passing out from "eating too much soup" instead of "getting totally smashed on Sake".   :P: : : :

Looking at the DS port of Chrono Trigger, honestly the things they added didn't really improve the game much.  You have 2 new dungeons (including one cut from the original game), but neither of them are altogether well-done and one of them is a pure chore to work through due to constant backtracking.  There's a new ending as well that tries again to make Chrono Cross relevant, but it's nothing special really.  There's a new monster arena mini-game added for the DS version, but it sucks so it's not worth bothering with.  The DS version also adds the anime FMVs from the Playstation version, which are kind of neat but the problem is that they play alongside their original SNES cutscenes (so you see the same scenes twice in a row).  Finally, I don't know why (and you would only even notice or care that this was changed if you were a huge Chrono Trigger fan) but there was this one audio effect removed from the game for the Playstation and DS versions of the game.  It was this little "WOOSH!" sound and visual effect that would always play when you had a screen wipe during a dramatic moment (such as in the attract mode demo and the Rainbow Shell quest), and it was replaced with no sound effect and just the screen fading out.  Little things like that bug me about the DS version.

So yeah, wait for the VC version for CT.  It's cheaper, you can play it on a big TV with a Classic Controller (Pro), and I pretty much prefer the original versions of that game.  As for FF IV, I would probably recommend the GBA version if you can find it, or get the PSP collection that just released.  The original version of FF IV just has major localization issues, some from Nintendo's inane censorship policies at the time and some from the then-Japan view on America not being able to handle difficult games.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 03:00:30 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 06:45:39 PM »
For Chrono Trigger it doesn't matter which version you play as long as you play it.  The game's pretty much the same on SNES/VC and DS so play whatever's more convenient for you.  If you do a lot of gaming on the go or if you play in short bursts the DS version might be your best bet.  If you sit down on your couch to play for an hour at a time the VC/SNES version would probably be preferable.

For FF IV, it really depends on how much you like classic SNES RPGS.  If you like them in their original version, get either the VC release or the GBA port.  They're both good, but since they were released at the beginning of the SNES' life they're a touch more antiquated than Chrono Trigger.  If you prefer a modern coat of paint on your classic RPG the DS version is going to suit you better.  Are you planning on playing the games back-to-back (or in tandem)?  If so, you might want to opt for the DS version of FF IV just so you don't burn out on classic RPGS.

And while you're at it, don't forget Dragon Quest V!
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 07:08:22 PM »
For what it's worth in regards to FFIV, the PSP version has the GBA features/content and has the sequel built in, so that's probably the better value for money.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 08:22:44 PM »
For Chrono Trigger it doesn't matter which version you play as long as you play it.  The game's pretty much the same on SNES/VC and DS so play whatever's more convenient for you.  If you do a lot of gaming on the go or if you play in short bursts the DS version might be your best bet.  If you sit down on your couch to play for an hour at a time the VC/SNES version would probably be preferable.

For FF IV, it really depends on how much you like classic SNES RPGS.  If you like them in their original version, get either the VC release or the GBA port.  They're both good, but since they were released at the beginning of the SNES' life they're a touch more antiquated than Chrono Trigger.  If you prefer a modern coat of paint on your classic RPG the DS version is going to suit you better.  Are you planning on playing the games back-to-back (or in tandem)?  If so, you might want to opt for the DS version of FF IV just so you don't burn out on classic RPGS.

And while you're at it, don't forget Dragon Quest V!

Oh lord I'll need to tackle the Dragon Quest series but my dirty secret is I hate Toriyama's art style even though I own most of Dr. Slump, Sand Land, and parts of Dragon Ball Z all on Manga.  I enjoy his writing in Manga form (though I do like his gas mask robot self and the Slimes.  Long Live Rocket slime :P.)

Probably play them one at a time is the DS version of FF:IV that different?  I haven't really seen anyone recommend it.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2011, 10:19:54 PM »
Probably play them one at a time is the DS version of FF:IV that different?  I haven't really seen anyone recommend it.

I can't say I care for the ugly polygonal graphic style of FF IV DS.  The FF III DS engine is just too bad on so many levels to make anything look good.  On top of that, going with the DS version you lose the bonus dungeons and party customization options from the GBA/PSP versions.  In return, you gain mediocre voice acting and the ability to give your party members certain skills that belong to other party members.  Whatever.  Definitely go with either the PSP or GBA versions, as they're the best versions of that game.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2011, 10:33:44 PM »

I can't say I care for the ugly polygonal graphic style of FF IV DS.  The FF III DS engine is just too bad on so many levels to make anything look good.  On top of that, going with the DS version you lose the bonus dungeons and party customization options from the GBA/PSP versions.  In return, you gain mediocre voice acting and the ability to give your party members certain skills that belong to other party members.  Whatever.  Definitely go with either the PSP or GBA versions, as they're the best versions of that game.
$70 Bucks new or $36 dollars used... Wow...
It was FF2 on the US SNES right?  There are used SNES copies going for $25...

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2011, 12:46:12 AM »

$70 Bucks new or $36 dollars used... Wow...
It was FF2 on the US SNES right?  There are used SNES copies going for $25...

If you really want the SNES version, just buy the Virtual Console version for $8.  I don't recommend it, though, when there are far superior versions on the market.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2011, 12:51:12 AM »
Wait for the 3DS version.
is your sanity...

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2011, 08:22:39 AM »
Is there one announced?

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2011, 08:59:08 AM »
For the old Final Fantasy games (IV through VI) my favorite way to play by far is with the GBA remakes and a Game Boy Micro.  You get a great conversion of the originals, a few minor extras, and absolutely the most portable package possible.  That might not be an option for you though.

I do strongly recommend portable versions because the games become extremely easy to carry with you and play whenever you've got a break.  Classic RPGs are great this way.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2011, 09:15:18 AM »
Ok I just put in a bid for the GBA version of FF:IV for $20.  Chrono Trigger only had the DS remake right?  Might just wait till VC, or better yet 3DS VC Make it happen Nintendo.  The auction of FF:IV only has 4 hrs left on it so I feel good about winning it.  Now I just need to find my DS light, I could just play it on me DS Phat too (the touch screen went kaputt)  Even better yet go old school and pull out my original Indigo GBA.  That would probably be the best way I just have to find it.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2011, 01:36:16 PM »
Ok FF:IV GBA is on its way.  Lets see how long it takes.  I found after I bidded I could get it cheaper at Amazon...

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2011, 04:32:46 PM »
Is there one announced?

Not that I'm aware of. But there's a strong possibility there will be one somewhere down the road.
is your sanity...

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2011, 05:50:48 PM »
Sure, but with the Square tax it will cost $50, so there's no reason to wait when there are already perfectly fine versions out there.

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2011, 07:50:04 PM »
One slight word of caution about the Final Fantasy GBA games...those Square Enix GBA carts have been heavily pirated.  Don't let too much time go by before playing it and trying to store some save data.  I almost got burned by an ebay seller who gave me pirated copy of a Final Fantasy VI; I put in about 30-45 minutes into it before I discovered that I couldn't save.  Grrr...   I argued with the guy for a while, but finally got my money back after letting him know that I could show proof that it was a pirated cartridge.
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2011, 07:57:38 PM »
Though they added some cool FMV, the PlayStation versions have terrible battle load times that ruin the experience.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2011, 08:23:41 PM »
One slight word of caution about the Final Fantasy GBA games...those Square Enix GBA carts have been heavily pirated.  Don't let too much time go by before playing it and trying to store some save data.  I almost got burned by an ebay seller who gave me pirated copy of a Final Fantasy VI; I put in about 30-45 minutes into it before I discovered that I couldn't save.  Grrr...   I argued with the guy for a while, but finally got my money back after letting him know that I could show proof that it was a pirated cartridge.

That's what happened to me when I ordered Super Mario Galaxy on ebay. Someone on there was selling a bunch of copies and I got a fairly good deal. What I received was obviously some burned/pirated piece of crap with some mario stuff printed on it which was obviously done on someone's printer or something and there was no case or manual. I was so pissed. I reported him to ebay and also to Nintendo and I also gave him negative feedback and warned others. Apparently other people he sold too were pissed off as well because he got similar feedback from others.

On the bright side, I did get a full refund though. He told me to just "throw it in the trash" which I did. There was no way I was paying shipping to ship it back. My advice if you get pirated stuff off ebay is at least report it to ebay and that way you will get your money back. Ebay doesn't tolerate that **** and will come down hard on sellers guilty of it. You should also report it to Nintendo because they will investigate it further.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 08:26:47 PM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2011, 08:45:58 PM »
Its suppose to be sealed in the box.  So hopefully its legit.  I'll try it when I get to it.  Is the first Save point far?

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2011, 08:47:09 PM »
You can save anywhere on the world map, and if I remember rightly, you'll get out to the map pretty quickly.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2011, 10:58:13 PM »
If you have a PSP, you might want to look into Final Fantasy IV: The Complete Collections aka the 958367280936 time FFIV has been remade. It's the original FFIV, the After Years, and an quasi-interquel scenario that bridges the gap between the 2. PSP game prices drop pretty quickly or if you want to be a jerkass, you can always pirate it since that's the only reason 99% of people who have PSP even own one.

I would get the DS version of Chrono Trigger. It's $20 new now and has extra stuff, none of it is terribly great but extra is extra. And you won't have to bother yourself with replacing the SNES cart battery which you should probably do if you win a bid on a 16 year old cartridge so you don't risk losing your save data.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2011, 08:58:47 AM »
I don't have aPSP or I probably get thtat.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2011, 02:39:20 PM »
FF IV for GBA is a pretty good port.  The only real problem with it is there'a  bug that sometimes lets characters (both yours and enemies) attack twice in a row without any wait time.  It's not game breaking, but it can be annoying.

If you have any problems with the copy of the game you bought let know because I have a complete copy I'd be willing to part with.  ;)
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2011, 02:45:49 PM »
I've been trying to get a hold of the Euro version since they fixed a bunch of bugs.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report