Author Topic: Rate the last TV show you've seen  (Read 1193443 times)

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last TV show you've seen
« Reply #3100 on: November 28, 2014, 03:22:52 PM »
I never thought much about when Gotham was taking place. Have they ever commented on this? I assumed any appearance of aged tech was connected to the city being extremely poor and in disrepair.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #3101 on: November 28, 2014, 04:02:01 PM »
Gotham is purposely ambiguous when it comes to time period. You're not supposed to know when exactly it is taking place, and it has absolutely no connection to Arrowverse.
They totally could connect them like you guys are suggesting, but I doubt that would ever happen.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3102 on: November 28, 2014, 05:08:52 PM »
I personally would prefer they did not outside of a "multiverse" reference. Because of DCs more disjointed approach to their shows and films they would botch the whole setup.

I like that the show is ambiguous with the era. It makes the show feel a bit more timeless and I believe that may cause it to stand up 50+ years from now versus some other shows. It could really take place any time in the last 20 years give or take a few things.
My Game Collection

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #3103 on: November 30, 2014, 11:59:13 PM »
The Walking Dead - Sad Face/10
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #3104 on: December 01, 2014, 12:46:54 AM »
Agreed.

:(

Gotham is purposely ambiguous when it comes to time period.

Yup.  And it's one of the things I like about it.  Old CRT monitors on the computers, but everyone's carrying cell phones.  Except for Bruce, who actually finds a pay phone.  There are LCD TVs, but everyone's driving around in a car from the 70's.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3105 on: December 01, 2014, 01:48:34 AM »

Why!? I don't understand... or should I say "i don't get it now".

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3106 on: December 01, 2014, 03:36:42 PM »
It was an awful choice for the story. Makes all of the build up be for nothing. May as well pretend season 5 hasn't started yet.

Though rethinking it this morning, I see how the character I predicted would die couldn't be the one because too many people accepted that death already.
My Game Collection

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3107 on: December 01, 2014, 03:49:39 PM »
but why would she do that? Did I miss something?

and who did you predict? Carol?

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3108 on: December 01, 2014, 04:11:14 PM »
but why would she do that? Did I miss something?

and who did you predict? Carol?

Yes, I predicted Carol at the beginning of the season. They have been building that character up and the director made a comment about how a character had to "earn" their death by being popular enough. I don't think that Beth had earned the right to die yet. Though it does make sense with the conversations held in previous episodes and earlier in that episode. I thought it would go down like this:

Daryl is forced to choose between Carol and Beth. Carol sacrifices herself so that Daryl is not forced to make the choice. Not that it doesn't hurt him any less. She would, of course, go out with a bang, maybe blowing up the hospital's bad cops or some such action.
My Game Collection

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #3109 on: December 02, 2014, 05:44:52 PM »
Finished the first season of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. yesterday. It's a good show to binge. I actually didn't mind the first half like most people did which I attribute to being able to move right into the next episode. There are some corny moments, but oddly, they didn't really bother me until the finale. Samuel L. Jackson sounded like he was phoning in his lines.

I thought the show could have used more tie-ins with the movies, namely Nick Fury and Maria Hill since they were S.H.I.E.L.D agents. I suppose the Project T.A.H.I.T.I. stuff wouldn't be as dramatic or secretive if Fury and Hill were around to answer questions. I liked most of the characters with the exception of May and Ward. May plays the straight-man and does so well, but I generally don't really like those characters because they're supposed to be boring. She had some good fight scenes. Ward was just lame before and after the big plot twist regarding his character. Brett Dalton isn't a very good actor which probably has a lot to do with it. I liked Skye even though I'm fully aware that she's that character who all the other characters have to explain things to so viewers know what's going on. She had some funny lines and her delivery is spot-on.

The special effects were surprisingly decent for a TV show. Sometimes, the greenscreen stuff was bad, but most of the stuff with The Bus looked good.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3110 on: December 02, 2014, 05:48:20 PM »
If you liked season 1, prepare yourself, because you will LOVE season 2.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #3111 on: December 02, 2014, 07:43:59 PM »
One of the problems with AOS season 1 was that every episode they felt that they had to remind you "New York" happened. It was really unnatural compared to Season 1.5 where they moved on from NYC to dealing with the fallout from the Winter Solider in an organic manner instead of name dropping it like it means something.

Another problem was that there wasn't enough material in the Project T.A.H.I.T.I arc to hold a season together. You can only drag something like that for so long before people get disinterested or disengage being dragged around for so long.

Ward and Skye were a real drag to the show with ward somewhat continuing to be so. On the other hand I am pissed they broke the relationship between Fritz and Simmons. There relationship had a really good flow to it. I don't mind Trip and Fritz hanging out being bros. But it went from cruising along then 100 miles an hour to nothing. The Man isn't dead Simmons, he got brain damaged and it wasn't your fault.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #3112 on: December 02, 2014, 09:06:34 PM »
Flash Vs Arrow

10/10
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3113 on: December 03, 2014, 04:05:15 AM »
Agents of SHIELD

MACK!!!? NOOOOOooooOooooOOooO!!!!!
did we just witness the birth of PowerMan? Will Mack become Luke Cage!?

another good episode from AoS. S2 is on a roll, like a good streak at the craps table. Next week is gonna be crazy, but now I need to find the preview for it so I can tease myself.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3114 on: December 03, 2014, 02:36:28 PM »
That was by far the best episode of Flash as far as I am concerned.

That is how Flash SHOULD be used.  He used his speed to his advantage rather than trying to bruteforce an obviously stronger opponent like he did in that trash from a couple of weeks ago.

Lets just hope that they continue using his speed and it wasn't just a thing that happened because he was insane.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3115 on: December 03, 2014, 07:19:33 PM »
Oh man, great episode of The Flash.

They handled the vs portion of it really well. Some good humor as well, they 2 crews mesh pretty well.
and I just about lost it when The Flash went all IP Man on Arrow. but he must hit like a girl, because Ollie didn't even look sore afterwards. Probably felt like a shiatsu massage. Too bad they didn't show the actual defeat and capture of the Meta. I'm kinda curious how they took him down and locked him up without permanently fixing some rose tinted goggles to his face.

edit: And Ollie is totally gonna bang Iris. The Arrow will strike again. Welcome to the New Age Barry. ;)
oh, and Wells is an ass. busting out Ollies secret identity infront of everyone like that. Not that he was any good at keeping anyway, but still.

edit2: and that baby momma drama. It's coming.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 07:47:08 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3116 on: December 04, 2014, 12:28:33 AM »
Best episode of Arrow so far this season.

But, The Flash did it better.
Cisco and Barry definitely lighten the grim dark mood of Arrow. The 2 crews really do mesh well together. I would actually like it if they crossover more often.

and I can't wait to see what toys Cisco comes up with for The Arrow.... hopefully it's an actual security system for The Quiver (aka Arrow Cave). Can anyone just walk up in there unannounced!? ridiculous. But I bet this is when Arrow starts getting all the crazy trick arrows... and maybe Cisco will give Diggle an outfit for when he's out in the field too.

edit
What kind of rift would be caused when the cast of both shows line up infront of each other?

Ollie / Barry
Quentin / Joe
Laurel / Iris

that alone is already gonna be kinda awkward
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 12:31:57 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3117 on: December 04, 2014, 02:10:05 AM »
It was good. I enjoyed myself but I do think it best to keep superpowers out of Arrow. It just creates logical nightmares.

The biggest glaring thing for me was Captain Boomerang is attacking Argus and he throws the two boomerangs at Oliver. Flash shows up and grabs the two boomerangs in the nick of time. Then Captain Boomerang throws some flash powder and "disappears" aka runs away. Meanwhile, Flash just stands there smiling at Oliver. Really? Not going to use your superspeed to chase down the bad guy or knock him unconscious? It's like at the end when they confront Captain Boomerang at the train station. The Flash grabs everyone off the platform for safety before he and Oliver confront the Captain. Why not just use the super speed to knock him out as he would clearly not be able to counterattack as shown by his reaction of just watching everyone disappear around him while Flash vacates them all. But no, they stand around talking to him allowing him to then activate the bombs.

I was also disappointed that a portion of the Arrow cast was relegated to the sidelines. Quinten, Laurel and Thea basically make cameos. No Ray Palmer. Nothing going on with Malcolm. Maybe he was hiding in some bushes watching Thea and I just didn't see him on a first watch.

Yes, The Flash did it better as it advanced The Flash storyline and even helped set things up with Arrow's storylines. Plus, The Flash involved all of its cast quite well. Even Singh finally started getting some screen time. I like to think the reason he approved the Flash taskforce is because the Flash stole his lunch. Way to be a hero, Barry. This episode had very little effect on The Flash show and even with Arrow's current season, it did very little with any of the moving pieces occurring right now. Worst of all, Felicity asks for help with looking into Sara's death by examining some DNA on The Flash but I guess she didn't bring the sample or files with her? So then Team S.T.A.R. labs shows up to help with the DNA except they are just there to pick it up and see how the Arrow lives? Finally, when they go, they say they will just call with the results. Thanks for dragging that thing to death.

For me, the best episodes of Arrow this season have been the first two episodes and Nyssa's return with that one being the best episode so far.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 02:12:00 AM by Khushrenada »
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3118 on: December 04, 2014, 09:19:12 AM »
You know the whole Flash episode of this could have been crap if it gets rid of the Virtual Incest junk they've been pushing like it indicates it might.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #3119 on: December 04, 2014, 09:00:32 PM »
Ceric:  If you read the comic you know Iris is Flash's Lois Lane.  They are forever meant to be together, and he always saves her, and if anybody or anything threatens her it is basically incurring the wrath of one of DC's most powerful Super Heroes...not smart.

I think both episodes were good.  I think the biggest problem with the Arrow episode was that all the interesting stuff happened in the first crossover.  The order should have been reversed...the Arrow episode dealing solely with Flash team and Barry learning to take crime fighting seriously...and learning that even with great power you must be smart.  Then the Flash episode should have been second and had the Flash vs. Arrow battle. 

I personally didn't mind that Arrow let some of its characters take a backseat that episode, but I wish they wouldn't have wasted time on the flashback episodes.  Spending valuable time exploring something that really didn't need to be explored.  I think this is a problem when you are a slave to your own formula.  Lost also had this problem.

Khush I get what you are saying about the last battle with Boomerang.  However, I liked how Barry was Barry...and thought of the people first.  I also think that is partly why he didn't just tie Boomerang up.  Flash wants to show (much like Superman) that crime in his city is futile.  He also wants to inspire people to be better...to use powers for good.  He sees the potential good in people even when they are bad. 

There is a reason the Rogue's although they hate Flash, respect him.  In the New 52 Forever Evil.  Captain Cold kills the "Evil Flash" and talks about how he would never kill the real Flash because of the mutual respect they have for each other. 

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #3120 on: December 04, 2014, 10:46:28 PM »
Well the supporting cast only getting cameos was intentonal since they'll all play into whats happening n the second half of the season. Laurel herself is getting a trilogy of episoides to show her become Black Canary and hopefully Ted into Wild Cat proper.

As for the episodes I thought Flash Vs Arrow was the better episode, but I think I enjoyed Brave and The Bold much more. I knew what we were getting once we knew the name of that particular story, which is par for course for superheroes for the most part. I enjoyed the Arrow episode more because we  saw Barry seeing how Oliver works first hand and we got to see three superheros team up to fight Captain Boomerrang. Yes we know logically that The Flash should have made it too ARGUS first and wiped the floor with Boomerang, but where would be the fun in that. Instead we got to see Boomerang do his thing, fight two archers, and than Barry comes in for the save grabbing the boomerangs. The biggest take away is Ollie needs to get his ass in gear about being Oliver Queen and getting his company back, but that probably won't be for sometime If what I think happens next week does.

How can anyone hate this.

3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3121 on: December 04, 2014, 10:55:48 PM »
Captain Boomerang? HAHAHAHha. Caan't take him seriously after watch the Batman: the Brave and the bold.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #3122 on: December 04, 2014, 11:59:11 PM »
Well actually I think the scene with the Argus fight makes sense.  Probably Barry was called by his team when the battle first started.  That means Barry has to travel from one city to the other, find out where the Arrow is...and wait to show boat to Ollie, because he did that to him the last time. 

Makes perfect timing since. 

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3123 on: December 05, 2014, 02:41:05 PM »
Evidently, Arrow has the ability to see, comprehend and move his head in Flash time.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3124 on: December 05, 2014, 02:45:59 PM »
How can anyone hate this.

At the time not really but now that I see it on loop it annoys me that Ollie looks to the side and doesn't immediately cock an arrow to counter attack.

@Spak-Spang:  In the comic did they grow up together? (Iris and Barry)

Now that I've seen both episodes it annoys me even more that they cut out where they captured the Meta.  There probably was a great see with him zapping the Arrow and not really doing anything to him.  It feels like that just cut it.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.