Author Topic: What's Old Is New - The GameCube  (Read 12192 times)

Offline Steel Diver

• Score: 12
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo Gamer Thoughts
What's Old Is New - The GameCube
« on: November 04, 2013, 10:19:03 AM »

As a new owner of a GameCube, Zack shares his thoughts on the little lunchbox of fun.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/feature/35865

The GameCube was Nintendo's first foray into the world of disc-based games and its era marked an interesting time for Nintendo. Unlike the days of the NES and SNES, or even the earlier years of the Wii, Nintendo was not at the top of the gaming food chain.

While it was by no means a failure, the GameCube never matched the install base or large library of titles Sony's colossal PlayStation 2 amassed. However, despite lower sales, the system has left a big mark on the industry. With titles like The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker seeing a new life on the Wii U, it has become apparent that the only gaming system with a handle boasts one of the best game libraries of any systems, Nintendo or otherwise.

Sadly, I never owned a GameCube. I was four years old when it was released, and I never owned the right accessories to play its games on the Wii. It wasn't until very recently that I picked up the system along with some games. As a new owner of the console in the year 2013, I've come to it with quite a different perspective then that of a Nintendo fan in 2001. In this ongoing Feature I will share my thoughts on the GameCube with you. Before I start writing about all the GameCube's great games, I'm going to share with you my thoughts on the hardware itself.

I'm a staff writer here at good ol' Nintendo World Report, but I also have a Nintendo website at www.nintendogamerthoughts.com

Offline DrHogie

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
Re: What's Old Is New - The GameCube
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 12:33:53 PM »
If you want to discuss the Gamecube hardware you really need to include the Wavebird.  IIRC, it was the initial 1st-party wireless controller, had an incredible battery life (due to no rumble pack) and was an absolute tank throughout the years.  I setup our Gamecube for the kids to play SSBB and Animal Crossing on -- the Wavebird works just as well as my 360 controllers do.
--DrH

Offline rlse9

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 07:31:40 PM »
That's true, the Wavebird was the first good wireless controller, back when it came out it was amazing to be able to play without cords running across the room and people tripping over them and systems almost breaking.  The controller was a little goofy looking but it worked great. 

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 07:47:05 PM »
Wavebirds are essential for heavy GC play. And if you play Pac-Man VS then you MUST have at least a few. I tried to do it with friends and every ten minutes or so we had to spend time 'de-tangling' the mess as we passed controllers to each other.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 08:02:38 PM »
I ended up buying a Gamecube when I was 18 because it came out with Legend of Zelda Collector's Edition (I couldn't pass-up a chance to play OoT again, and try out Zelda games I never played).  It was my gateway into countless hours of F-Zero GX, Sonic Mega Collection, and Super Smash Bros Melee (especially during college).

Gamecube was definitely a special little machine, and a durable little thing at that.  It travelled with me all over campus to friend's houses, and took it like a pro.

Offline StrawHousePig

• a tag
  • Score: -8
    • View Profile
    • Title available upon http request.
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 09:00:35 PM »
Sadly, I never owned a GameCube. I was four years old when it was released
:o

Check, please!

I need to retire from the interwebs, seriously.
Old gamers never die, we just run out of quarters.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2013, 12:36:21 PM »
The Gamecube seems to be the most fondly remembered console of that generation, depending on if you count the Dreamcast. The PS2 was a much bigger hit, but it seems to be taken for granted now.

I think part of the reason it is remembered more fondly than the Xbox or PS2 is because many of the popular titles on those machines are of the type  that get replaced by by subsequent releases. Madden '05 may have been huge, but who cares about it in 2013?

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2013, 12:57:19 PM »
You could probably judge the long term success of a system by the price of their games post-gen. Most quality SNES games are going to run you $15-30 unless you include the really rare ones. Same still for DS titles. I've noticed that most original XBox titles are $8-15. PS2 is about $15-20. This is just my casual observations while hunting for deals on old games on Amazon and eBay. Someone could probably do a full study on the price stability VS success/popularity of consoles.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2013, 02:41:24 PM »

I was four when the SNES came out, and that didn't stop me from playing NES and SNES games at that age! Stop making excuses!

:P:
Gouge away.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2013, 03:24:14 PM »

I was five when the NES came out, and that didn't stop me from playing Atari and Intellivision games at that age! Stop making excuses!

:P

Offline smallsharkbigbite

• Score: -7
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2013, 09:01:24 PM »
I love the Gamecube.  It is definitely in my top 3 consoles.  It was the first one I bought and I had so many great game nights through college.  I bought mine at launch.  The first thing me and my friend did was play Madden 2002 for multiple seasons taking the Browns to the super bowl.  This was my first 3d Madden since I came from the SNES to Gamecube era.  Then on Christmas I got Super Monkey Ball and my family and me played Monkey target for like 6 hours on Christmas.  Sure, their were better games and more experiences later but it was an awesome start to the generation for me and my love of the system has never wavered. 

Offline Agent-X-

• I speak Gibberish
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2013, 01:19:59 PM »
Super Mario Sunshine suffered in the same way the GameCube did in that the image perception didn't help sales. I actually rented the game around release and it didn't hook me, but about a year later I found myself strongly craving this game. I picked up a used copy and was hooked for good. I recall hearing a lot of remarks from Nintendo that this game was ultimately too challenging to have mass appeal, but I find that to be absurd. You can beat Bowser without attempting the more challenging levels, but then the real fun, for me, was getting all the shines. The level designs are both my favorite quality about this game but ultimately one of my few gripes.

I'll put it this way. I'm actually glad Nintendo has moved away from this style of Mario. While Sunshine is a masterpiece of level work, having players run through the same half dozen world levels a half dozen times can get burdensome and really rides on the quality of that level--that better be one stellar design or those stars/shines are gonna suck the fun away.

Super Mario Sunshine is a fantastic game though.

Offline Agent-X-

• I speak Gibberish
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2013, 01:27:15 PM »
GameCube is probably my 2nd favorite behind the SNES. I had an NES back in the day as well, but for some reason I just don't remember those games as fondly. What GameCube eventually managed to do, and the emerging modern day "hardcore gamer" will rarely ever admit this, is have more blockbuster AAA quality exclusive titles than either of its competitors. Eventually, GameCube became the best bang for the dollar ($100 console?!?!).

Don't we all wish Nintendo would return to their GameCube days? Back then, they more or less conceded that they would never catch the level of hype surrounding the PS2, and then they proceeded to just focus on making the best games ever.

I could be naive, but I think the GameCube would very modestly become the best selling machine today by being everybody's #2.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2013, 01:38:49 PM »
I buy Sunshine HD.  All they have to fix is the Camera in that one section of the railroad area.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2013, 03:17:18 PM »
I'd say Super Mario Sunshine's reputation as the worst 3D Mario is deserved.  But that doesn't mean it's a bad game.  Something HAS to be the worst 3D Mario.  It's a credit to Nintendo that the worst game in that series would probably be a high mark in other series.

I find that F.L.U.D.D feels rather forced and it hurts the game.  At the time Nintendo had a very impressive reputation for innovation and creativity.  They had taken almost all of their franchises from 2D to 3D and had pulled it off every time, usually with ground-breaking games that influenced the entire industry.  Such a reputation can be hard to live up to.  I find on the Gamecube, particularly with sequels, Nintendo suddenly found themselves with writer's block at the worst time.  This Mario game had to be bigger and better than the games that came before it and had to change the industry.  It could not just be a better polished take on Super Mario 64 because, dammit, Mario doesn't rest on its laurels like that!  F.L.U.D.D. was their innovative new idea that was supposed to make Sunshine unique and essential.  Hell they made out like it was some big top secret idea that everyone would copy.  They were probably hoping people would copy it because then it was the industry changing idea they needed it to be.  It wasn't.  Nintendo did this again with Mario Kart: Double Dash.  The double karts are the major unique element of that game but it also feels forced and like F.L.U.D.D. did not influence other games or appear again in later sequels.

I think it demonstrates the importance of creating new IP on a regular basis.  Early on in a series ideas for a sequel can be obvious as you can work in ideas that were left on the cutting room floor of the original game or address shortcomings in the earlier games.  But over time it becomes harder and harder to keep the originality up while keeping true to the general gameplay of the series that made it popular in the first place.  For every series there will come a time where the ideas just aren't there.

Nintendo started to hit that point on the Gamecube, which made sense because many of their franchises were clocking over 15 years at that point.  There was no such issues with games like Pikmin, which was brand new, or Metroid Prime, which did the switch to 3D that gave so many Nintendo franchises new life on the N64.  I think Nintendo has had trouble coming to terms with this as they've since become infatuated with gimmick control schemes, hoping in vain that such gimmicks will inspire new ideas.  Once they tried waterpacks, today they try tablet controllers.

What's interesting is that Mario bounced back.  Super Mario Galaxy felt legitimately innovative, not forced.  Nintendo also came up with a new take on 3D Mario with Super Mario 3D Land.  Sometimes the new idea is just not there today and will come tomorrow.  If Nintendo felt confident enough to take a break from their established series when the inspiration isn't there they wouldn't have to feel that gimmicks are necessary or that they need to force in some half-baked concept that doesn't gel.  There is a massive difference between sitting down and thinking "what game ideas do we have that we can develop on?" and "okay I've got to make a new Mario/Zelda/Metroid/PokĂ©mon game for this timeframe so what ideas can I think of for that?"

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2013, 03:45:33 PM »
I buy Sunshine HD.  All they have to fix is the Camera in that one section of the railroad area.
Roller Coaster*
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2013, 03:50:04 PM »
Ian I totally disagree with you on F.L.U.D.D and the Double Karts.  F.L.U.D.D I found to be a good solution to my major problem with 3D platformers and thats judging distances.  I'm fairly sure at some point of time or another in Super Mario 3D World I'm going to wish I had F.L.U.D.D.

On Mario Kart, every console Mario Kart that I have played since I've wanted a double Kart mode.  It is great for non-Game players and Kids.  My Son and I could race with him throwing items.  It was a clever idea that should have stayed in the series.  Much better then Bikes and Generic Karts they have now.

Offline smallsharkbigbite

• Score: -7
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2013, 06:27:33 PM »
I thought the Gamecube Mario Kart far exceeded the N64 version and was a worthy sequel.  The track design and physics were great.  It was the first Mario Kart with lan mode allowing for full screen for 2 players.  It mostly did away with drifting on straightaways that made the N64 version feel more like a chore.  The two players allowed a little customization and you could hold two items and switch between the two which hasn't been done since.  The graphics were much better.

In general I think the SNES - NES camparison is valid for the Gamecube - N64.  I feel like the N64 handled 3D very poorly.  It's hard for me to play most N64 games today because they look awful.  The Gamecube handled 3D well and these games still look decent attached to an HDTV today.  The other thing the Gamecube had going for it is the disc size being exponentially larger.  This meant no cutting this level or having crappy sound or having alot of the sacrifices that N64 games did.

I know alot of people are partial to the N64 and will disagree with me.  But the Gamecube was everything I wanted.  It did the things the N64 tried to do, but it did them very well instead of just being the 1st 3D console. 

Offline IssunZX

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2013, 08:25:55 PM »
I loved Super Mario Sunshine, and I don't understand the hate it gets either. I really loved the world and how much more connected the entirety of Isle Delfino was, compared to other games. And, unlike Peach's Castle in 64, it's not empty and lonely. While, I guess, that's sort of the point of 64 in a sense, it's still kind of dull compared to how lively and fun exploring just the main hub of Sunshine is. And, hell, FLUDD is actually fun and useful. It never felt clunky or tacked on (though its reappearance in Brawl is another story...).

Of course, the game isn't without its frustrating moments (but what platformer isn't?) and it baffles me that they never enabled Yoshi to swim, but Sunshine was fun from beginning to end for me.

Offline MetalMario2

• Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2013, 01:53:54 PM »
Super Mario Sunshine is also the most challenging 3D Mario game. If you want all 120 Shines, you're going to have to bleed for it.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2013, 10:06:17 AM »
I would never get all the shines because I wouldn't put up with the blue coin nonsense. I wish they would release an updated version along the lines of what they did with Super Mario 64 that replaced the blue coin shines with actual levels.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2013, 02:48:12 PM »
I have to say, I hate Double Dash's Dual-Kart mode.

I like the game play, but it's hard for first-timers to pick up.  Which makes LAN play even harder, since a lot of people just don't "get" the game. :(
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2013, 03:16:06 PM »
Don't we all wish Nintendo would return to their GameCube days?
NO! The GameCube era was dark days, I would probably quit gaming (or just Nintendo) if they were perpetually stuck with GameCube-type output. Many of their games were rushed to market (SSBMelee, Mario Sunshine, Zelda Wind Waker, etc) and definitely suffered from it, and like Ian Sane talked about, a lot of their games were based around some gimmick that usually didn't work very well (double karts, sailing). Plus it was the start of their over-saturation with Mario.

Metroid Prime was a rare beam of light for the generation, but it now has a superior Wii version so it takes a bit away from the system's legacy.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2013, 03:37:16 PM »
Don't we all wish Nintendo would return to their GameCube days?
NO! The GameCube era was dark days, I would probably quit gaming (or just Nintendo) if they were perpetually stuck with GameCube-type output. Many of their games were rushed to market (SSBMelee, Mario Sunshine, Zelda Wind Waker, etc) and definitely suffered from it, and like Ian Sane talked about, a lot of their games were based around some gimmick that usually didn't work very well (double karts, sailing). Plus it was the start of their over-saturation with Mario.

Metroid Prime was a rare beam of light for the generation, but it now has a superior Wii version so it takes a bit away from the system's legacy.

I miss the creativity and variety of the GameCube. There were some crazy concepts, stuff like Chibi Robo, that got released in that era, and Nintendo seems to have gotten a lot more conservative since then. I'll agree that they're more consistent in quality and less likely to rush things, and I wouldn't trade stuff like the Galaxy games or DKCR for anything, but I wish Nintendo were a little more adventurous in what they put out. Maybe the low sales of the Wii U will prompt them to get more outside the box.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2013, 03:50:51 PM »
I haven't played Chibi-Robo, I'm sad the Wii version never released outside Japan. I missed some of the latter-day GameCube stuff since I was disenchanted with the system, and I actually have come back to appreciate some more of the system's games after the fact. But it's still my least-favourite era (though actually not my least-fave system currently since I feel the NES has aged terribly).

Nintendo have still created some strange games on Wii like Captain Rainbow, and of course there are the Operation Rainfall trinity, it's more of a problem that these games have trouble leaving Japan. Wii U has Wonderful 101. The handheld front still has quirky games like Dillon and Pushmo, those these tend to be smaller games on the eShop instead of retail titles. Still, I'm not quite sure I agree they got more conservative... maybe a bit in NA, but not in Japan.