Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*  (Read 3140917 times)

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL Wii rumor thread *bring your own salt*
« Reply #2625 on: July 08, 2010, 12:22:24 AM »
i still haven't got my virtual boy to work! It is a beautiful showpiece though!
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2626 on: July 08, 2010, 01:34:57 AM »
From a recent Interview with Sakurai on Wired.com:

Wired.com: Having now done a major console game for Nintendo and a major handheld game, where do you as a designer want to go next, home systems or handhelds?

Sakurai: I’ve never made a game for a high-definition platform. That’s definitely something I’m interested in.

For what it's worth, Sakurai has never designed a game for a non-Nintendo system.  ;)

And he never will, lest he wants his car to explode.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline decoyman

• is a raging alcoholic (and Moppy's #1 fan)
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2627 on: July 09, 2010, 10:14:01 AM »
Rachtman, I like the design, and I think Ian's concerns can be addressed fairly simply, actually.

1) Move the "seam" (breakaway point) next to the "remote" side. The controllers don't need to be symmetrical. Then you have one remote-shaped piece and one connector/add-on piece.

2) Change the button configuration so it's more like the Gamecube: one main button with some bean-buttons around.

Yeah… could work. :D

edit:mispeled naim lool
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 11:38:48 AM by decoyman »
Twitter
3DS Friend Code: 3067-7420-5671 (Aaronaut)

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #2628 on: July 09, 2010, 10:30:36 AM »
Rachtmann, I like the design, and I think Ian's concerns can be addressed fairly simply, actually.

1) Move the "seam" (breakaway point) next to the "remote" side. The controllers don't need to be symmetrical. Then you have one remote-shaped piece and one connector/add-on piece.

2) Change the button configuration so it's more like the Gamecube: one main button with some bean-buttons around.

Yeah… could work. :D
Hah, I actually thought about moving the "breakaway" point closer to the face button side, but I fought my inner graphic designer thinking and kept it symmetrical.  :P  But yeah, that could work.  And also, for those that are complaining about not having a directional pad on the "remote" side after separating the two...  um, do you NOT see the Slide pad on the right? It's actually designed to be more easily reached by the thumb unlike the D-pad on the Wii remote.

As far as GameCube style button layout? That's a touchy (literally, hah) subject... I do love the 'Cube button layout, but I long so much for Nintendo to return to their SNES style of buttons.  That controller's buttons were perfect. There's a reason why Sony has kept it's controller the same all of these years.  But unlike Sony's controller, the SNES pad had a distinct "feel" to its buttons -- the convex/concave shape of them.  And that made it super easy to feel your way around the controller so that you, as a gamer, always knew what button to push for whichever action.

I'm gonna try to redraw this again this weekend with a few updates -- such as a "Home" button, differently-shaped L and R buttons, and maybe move that breakaway seam over to the right. :P  I may even try to design a 3D polygon model of it, too. Who knows? :)
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2629 on: July 09, 2010, 05:42:08 PM »
But unlike Sony's controller, the SNES pad had a distinct "feel" to its buttons -- the convex/concave shape of them.  And that made it super easy to feel your way around the controller so that you, as a gamer, always knew what button to push for whichever action.
Kudos. I have been saying this for years. I think for most non-gamers/casual gamers, they're rarely ever going to need to press a button other than Start/+ or a trigger. Swinging the remote will always be the main method of command input for them. The convex/concave buttons were highly under-appreciated.

Offline Sarail

• View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #2630 on: July 09, 2010, 08:40:10 PM »
Hah, I just thought of something silly for an ad campaign.  Nintendo should call its next system the "Six".  The Nintendo Six.

Why?

Because six is better than three.  As in PS3 or 360. Hah.  Too much of a stretch? Yeah, I'm retarded. :P
Muh Backloggery!

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #2631 on: July 09, 2010, 11:05:00 PM »
One of the rumors was that Microsoft didn't call their system Xbox 2 was because they didn't want it to sound inferior to the PlayStation 3, so it's not such a crazy idea.

Maybe Nintendo would take a clue from the NES/SNES and call it Super Wii.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #2632 on: July 09, 2010, 11:12:01 PM »
One of the rumors was that Microsoft didn't call their system Xbox 2 was because they didn't want it to sound inferior to the PlayStation 3, so it's not such a crazy idea.

Maybe Nintendo would take a clue from the NES/SNES and call it Super Wii.

Wii 64? It could go back to cartridges.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 11:16:03 PM by Kytim89 »
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #2633 on: July 10, 2010, 01:29:12 AM »
I think Nintendo could have a tough time naming their next system, especially if they want to stick with the conventions of the Wii name. One thing they wanted was a name that wouldn't be abbreviated, and adding another word to "Wii" would break that. The Super Wii would be abbreviated SW. Maybe they will call it the Swii.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #2634 on: July 10, 2010, 01:54:23 AM »
If the next Wii will have 3D capability then it would make sense to name it Wii-D
is your sanity...

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2635 on: July 10, 2010, 01:59:56 AM »
Or maybe WiiDii?

ThriiDii?

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2636 on: July 10, 2010, 04:29:56 AM »
Thwii Dii

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #2637 on: July 15, 2010, 04:24:05 AM »
Both Munna and Musharna give off Dream Smoke, which is described to hold the dreams of Pokémon. By obtaining Dream Smoke, the player is able to use Game Sync to upload their Black and White save file to the Internet.
The High Link is a building in Isshu where the player is able to connect with other players. With this, multiple players may play Black and White together.

Live Caster is a feature where players are able to video chat which includes a pen and stamp to allow editing. This feature is also used by in-game characters from time to time.

Pokémon Global Link is the service that allows the uploading of Black and White save files and has 2 different modes. One mode allows the player's Pokémon to play in a dream, while the other allows the player to battle online. Access to the Global Link is gained by obtaining Musharna, the evolution of Munna.

Is this the first sign of Nintendo using 'cloud' technology for storing game saves and such online?

I'm hoping that this is a sign of what is to come.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 04:25:47 AM by Stratos »
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2638 on: July 15, 2010, 01:15:33 PM »
Considering that B&W will have some 3DS forward compatibility, and 3DS will be an influence on Wii2 like DS was on Wii, I think this is a glimpse at what Nintendo not only has planned for the future of the 3DS but the Wii2 as well.

I'm sure the full blown 3DS game to use this feature will be attached to an account and "Dream Smoke" (aka Cloud) computing could be a big part of the future for all 3 next-gen consoles (& the handhelds too)

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #2639 on: July 15, 2010, 01:20:17 PM »
All DS games have forwards compatibility with 3DS, I haven't seen anything in Black/White that will only work on the 3DS and not at least some DS systems (stuff like Dream Smoke will work on all DS systems, and Live Caster will work on the DSi and DSi XL too).

Still, I love the idea that Nintendo seems to be embracing cloud technology for at least some games. Knowing that you can have a back-up of your save with Nintendo is a great idea that I hope is used by other games.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2640 on: July 15, 2010, 01:35:05 PM »
All DS games have forwards compatibility with 3DS, I haven't seen anything in Black/White that will only work on the 3DS and not at least some DS systems (stuff like Dream Smoke will work on all DS systems, and Live Caster will work on the DSi and DSi XL too).

ummm..... yeah, I never said they weren't(edit: but they actually aren't), as far as 3DS enhancement, I was referring to an earlier post of mine stating how the Livecaster feature would probably be smoother on 3DS and here I was saying that the first 3DS (only) game to use this "Dream Smoke" will likely be account based since it would make more sense than to tie it to the cartridge or system.

But I also hope that moving forward, it has an autosave feature that will automatically cloud update whenever you get an active internet connection, this also goes for the "achievement" system that I hope Nintendo adopts.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 02:09:42 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #2641 on: July 15, 2010, 01:37:26 PM »
My comment was because your wording made it sound like it's unique to B/W about being compatible with 3DS.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2642 on: July 15, 2010, 01:47:28 PM »
And actually I should correct you because there is a difference between Forward Compatibility and Backwards Compatibility.

The 3DS is actually BC with every game the DSi is BC with (mostly excluding games that use the GBA port)
I'm sure all the details for B&W haven't been released yet, but if a game actually has added performance and Features that only work when put into the 3DS (video chat is smoother, SD card loading, maybe the 3D slider will work to some extent, widescreen output, etc etc), then that game is forward compatible.

Since 99.9% of DS games will not have added 3DS features, they are not actually FC with the 3DS, the 3DS is BC with them.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 01:48:59 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #2643 on: July 18, 2010, 02:21:19 PM »
What kind of signifcant boost in graphical quality would HD do for wii games?
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2644 on: July 18, 2010, 03:18:39 PM »
If the current Wii had HD and no other differences? It'd actually make things a whole lot worse. The Wii doesn't have the processing power to run at HD resolutions, so if it were somehow possible, it would come at a significantly reduced framerate (probably 1/3. So a 60fps game would run at 20fps, a 30fps game would run at 10fps, etc). A high resolution would also highlight jagged edges, blurry textures, and a host of other eyesores associated with standard definition graphics.

Offline Sarail

• View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #2645 on: July 18, 2010, 04:41:27 PM »

This. But yes, it would reduce the framerate drastically.  But the games would look so much better than they do now...at least, games developed by devs who give a rats arse about the Wii.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2646 on: July 18, 2010, 05:00:03 PM »
framerate is more important to me then screen resolution

Offline Sarail

• View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #2647 on: July 18, 2010, 05:08:52 PM »
Hey, as long as I can get a steady 30 fps, I'm good to go. 60 is what I would love all the time, but I'm perfectly content with 30.

I love seeing what the guys with the Dolphin emulator have been doing with Wii and GameCube games.  Amazing.  Makes me really wish the Wii was a bit beefier under the hood, because some of these Wii games (and 'Cube, too!) look astounding.

That said, once again, Nintendo better not skimp out on us next-gen. After all the money that they've made off casual gamers, we better be getting a beast of a system next go around.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #2648 on: July 19, 2010, 05:43:50 AM »
framerate is more important to me then screen resolution

Gameplay is more important to me than either. But hey, maybe that's just me...
is your sanity...

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2649 on: July 19, 2010, 05:51:32 AM »
cheap shot

gameplay is grossly effected by framerate, Banjo Tooie would be much more fun if it didn't make me nauseous.