Author Topic: Pokémon Scarlet and Pokémon Violet  (Read 11341 times)

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Pokémon Scarlet and Pokémon Violet
« on: November 26, 2022, 12:37:44 AM »
Couldn't find the topic for this.

Anybody else playing? What stories have you gone through and how far? Any favorite parts? Do you find the glitches/bug distracting? How does everyone feel about the new direction?
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
Re: Pokémon Scarlet and Pokémon Violet
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2022, 12:11:16 PM »
I think asking a massive entertainment company to develop a stable product isn’t too much, but we have all been fine with the embarrassing state of Skyrim for over a decade and across different editions. The people demanding refunds for this game are a bit… detached from reality. Admittedly, I’m not going out of my way to try to break the game, but I’ve encountered two, maybe three weird bugs in my 50+ hours of playtime.

As the world’s biggest Pokémon skeptic, 2022 has surprised me in many ways. I enjoyed Arceus a great deal and am enjoying Scarlet as well. It’s still a bit bare bones and definitely not the prettiest/most stable Switch game, but the freedom to explore and avoid much of the flat writing is a big plus. I’m heading to take on the final bosses of each respective Path at the moment, and I’ve been pleased with the difficulty scaling. It’s not a huge difficult game but it often requires dedicated team building for some of its later-game challenges. Highlights have been the Normal Type Gym, the Fighting and Fairy Starfall Street challenges, and just, well, four and five star raids.

I can’t say enough how having Pokémon roam without random encounters has drastically increased my desire to catch them. No more running back and forth in tall grass, hoping for the right encounter. It’s so refreshing.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2022, 01:56:58 PM »
The performance is unfortunate, but the co-op adventure alone is already making this the most enjoyable Pokémon game, and in a number of ways it feels like what Sword and Shield should have been.

I've mainly been playing the game with my significant other, but through the launch weekend we also had two friends join us; it was a lot of fun to goof around in the early game as we figured out how everything works. We're taking our time playing through this one and focusing on exploring each area as we come to it, so we have only two total badges so far, the Bug gym and the first titan. We've filled out a lot of the PokéDex though, catching as many of the Monz as we can locate. We like how there's also lots of items scattered around the land to find.

When the four of us were playing, we tried making sandwiches together, which is a pretty funny minigame of sorts! Here's the first one we made, which definitely looks like something a group of kids would concoct:

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2022, 12:33:27 AM »
I’m barreling towards the end of the game. I completed Starfall Street and Path of Legends, and I only have the Elite Four left. I’ll admit that challenging the final bosses of a path while still in the middle of one path left me a bit under-leveled. But that just made for more challenging battles.

I tried to map out which story beats I would hit based on the descriptions on the map. I thought it would be exhausting bouncing around the map like that, but the game rewards you so much for exploring the different areas.

One thing I was surprised about was how much was going on at the academy. I was off on my treasure hunt for so long that I didn’t notice you can actually take classes at the school. Yo can even take midterms and final exams. And I can say Pokémon made taking a final exam entertaining. The one course I completed gave me some info on something I had been wondering about since I saw it on the map early on. It was a very organic way of giving the player more info.

The bugs and glitches are whatever; the camera pretty consistently clips through terrain when I battle on a slope; the slowdown can distracting at times. But I really don’t care. The game is just so much better than its technical shortcomings. I do wish the level scaling was better and that the gyms had more gym trainers. But I feel like those are minor changes compared to how much the franchise has moved in the right direction with this one.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2022, 05:01:22 PM »
I picked up Scarlet at launch and I am progressing nicely.  Yesterday I finished up the Normal gym to make 4 gyms beaten.Then had a row of Titans to beat and I now only one left. I haven't done anything with Team Star yet. 

I have my 6 pokemon team and just leveling up them. I do like the change of the gym badges and it going from pokemon won't obey if they are over a certain level to if you catch a pokemon at a certain level then even if they go over that level since you caught it below that level it will still obey you. You could in theory only have one badge and hatch an egg pokemon and level it to 100 and they will still obey you.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2022, 07:38:28 PM »

This was the path I took through the game. You can tell I scrambled to get some gyms done between the 4th and 5th titans so I could nab the Iron Treads that appears after you beat the 4th titan in Violet.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2022, 03:04:08 AM »
Wait, I didn't realize you could nab that. I might have to go back and look.

I still haven't taken on the Elite Four. I took a few more classes after getting a lot out of one. The history class gives you a lore dump and explains the spikes you may be coming across. I'm still hunting those down. But there was less to get out of the others so far. I'm actually kind of interested in seeing what the hell they do for the math class and if I get more sandwich recipes from the Home Ec course. The stories about the teachers are fun too and give them some depth

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2022, 11:22:42 AM »
So, the raid this weekend was… something.

I went from scraping by in the first night to absolutely steamrolling Charizards in the second- a pretty insane power creep. Flutter Mane is pretty nasty against Charizard, as it activates Protosynthesis when Charizard uses Sunny Day, and nulls his Dragon attacks. I had tried using a Dachbun and and Azumarill earlier, but the former lacks decent support options in spite of strong abilities and typing, while the latter’s ability causes the Raids to completely glitch and read incorrectly. It’s a shame, because Huge Power and Belly Drum make for an insane combo.

I like raiding very much, but the system Game Freak has created is pretty flawed. You can reset your system clock multiple times in order to get more raids during the scheduled period, so I have about 10-12 Charizards’ worth EXP candies, Large and Extra Large. This means I can level up a good 10-12 Raid-captured Pokémon with ease. Ah, well. I’m not much for competitive battling, so I can just start setting up new Pokémon for future raids.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2022, 04:02:28 AM »
Finished up all the gyms tonight. I had the Ghost and Ice gyms left and I used the team I was using for the Team Star battles.

I had Kanto Persian, Vivilion, Bronzong, Gardavior, Dredraw and Clodsire.

The Ghost one was fun with the double battle. The Ice one was rough to start as I got rushed down with TailWind, Blizzard and Liquidation.   I even used my Terra early on to gain some ground.   I will say that if you have a Levitate Bronzong with Sunny Day the Ice gym is pretty easy.   I was 2 out of 3 with those. 

Now I think I am going to work on the Team Star battles.   I only have 1 down. I also have the dragon Titan to face as my last one of those.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2022, 01:45:27 PM »
I finished up the Victory Road story and then I beat the last Titan at the lake.  Now with all them beat I can scale pretty much everywhere with my ride pokemon.

I beat the Elite 4 and champ with a team of Quaquaval. Meowscarada, Skuledirge, Tinkaton, Pawmot and Toedscruel.  Those 6 pokemon cover with their STAB Water, Fighting, Grass, Dark, Fire, Ghost, Fairy, Steel, Electic and Ground.

The same type attack moves of the pokemon cover all pokemon with 12 pokemon being normal effectiveness and the coverage moves covering those last 12 pokemon. 

I only have 2 more Team Star areas to finish and then I can work on exploring more of Paldea and playing with others.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2022, 04:40:13 PM »
Anybody do the Cinderace raids yet? I did one with my support Grimmsnarl, who I've been using since the Charizard raids (I actually have two now: one for physical, one for special).

I'll have to get a Slowbro together since that's the new hotness.

Also, what did everyone think of the post-game??

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2022, 08:23:47 AM »
Anybody do the Cinderace raids yet? I did one with my support Grimmsnarl, who I've been using since the Charizard raids (I actually have two now: one for physical, one for special).

I'll have to get a Slowbro together since that's the new hotness.

Also, what did everyone think of the post-game??
The post game was fine. More than most recent Pokémon titles, save Arceus. I did appreciate hunting the four treasures, even if the stake locations were a bit insane. The gym challenge felt like a pushover, even so, but going back to Area Zero to catch more Paradox Pokemon was rewarding. I still felt like the game could use a bit more.

The Cinderace raid is a marked enhancement in difficulty and demands proper team composition, which I have mixed feelings about. I was still able to use the current Slowbro build to solo it without online interaction. Online raid partners rarely account for how the Slowbro strategy is meant to work.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2023, 05:22:01 PM »
Finally beat the game and I am pleasantly surprised by the story. I was really getting into it by the end! This and Arceus aren't exactly what I want out of Pokemon but man it's getting close!

Also did I get banned recently? Or is some weird forum joke going around?
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2023, 05:25:10 PM »

There should not have been any ban on you nor was there any weird joke happening lately that I was aware of that would have resulted in users being banned temporarily. What issue did you experience to think that?
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2023, 11:41:27 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if a number of people have been banned for no reason and that is why it is just the most dead it has ever been. I can't have this place be dead, my 20th year since registration anniversary is coming up!
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2023, 03:28:17 AM »

There should not have been any ban on you nor was there any weird joke happening lately that I was aware of that would have resulted in users being banned temporarily. What issue did you experience to think that?

So I tried to log in today and it said “you are banned and can’t view this forum. This ban is not temporary.” Something like that. I’ll take a screen grab because its still happening but only in my Safari browser on my laptop. From my phone and opening a private/incognito window I was able to get in just fine. My laptop is old and jacked up, wouldn’t be surprised if it has all kinds of issues.

20 years Perm?! How the wheel slowly turns. 20 years ago I was 16. I was in and out this forum constantly. Where does the time go?

RomanceDawn

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2023, 03:41:12 AM »
I definitely didn't ban you, and Khush already said he didn't, and I don't think anyone else with the power to do so is actually paying attention to the forums, so maybe it's some kind of tech error.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2023, 10:19:07 AM »
I wouldn't be surprised if a number of people have been banned for no reason and that is why it is just the most dead it has ever been. I can't have this place be dead, my 20th year since registration anniversary is coming up!

If that is the case then hopefully a user would think to reach out to us on Discord to check the situation.

From Caterkiller's description, it sort of sounds more like some type of pop-up malware that is trying to fool a user. I just don't see why his account would be banned when using one computer and not another.

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2023, 12:37:00 PM »
Yeah it's gotta be some kind of malware. I know this isn't the place but if anyone can DM me of what I could get to rid myself of malware that would be appreciated. I don't know how to fix computers beyond buying a new one.

Edit!

Back on my normal Safari browser. I deleted all my cookies and cleared my cache!
Wow my Laptop feels brand new!!! What ever was blocking me ain't blocking no more!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2023, 01:15:24 PM by Caterkiller »

RomanceDawn

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2023, 01:15:45 PM »
Hmmm. That's not what I expected a malware screen to look like. That looks more legit than expected. I just went through the ban triggers to see if your username came up among all the banned spambots but there is nothing for Caterkiller.

EDIT: I see you edited while I was checking and typing on this. Glad things are good for you again.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2023, 05:34:19 PM »
I guess the anniversary of Sword/Shield DLC just passed. Anyone have any DLC expectations for SV?

Also, happy that Caterkiller isn't banned, lol.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2023, 08:52:46 PM »
I guess the anniversary of Sword/Shield DLC just passed. Anyone have any DLC expectations for SV?

Also, happy that Caterkiller isn't banned, lol.
I honestly think that we aren’t going to get new “regions” like in the Sword and Shield DLC, which iterated on the Wild Area design. Paldea’s open world is the game’s main draw and I doubt Game Freak was simultaneously cooking up some alternate island or something. If anything, we’re going to gain deeper access into Area Zero, and hopefully get some stuff that further enriches the open world exploration. But I would love to be proven wrong. I just think Paldea felt like a Herculean effort to create and it still isn’t perfect, so expecting some massive new expansion would be wishful thinking. But I think something like making meaningful changes to the overworld would be neat- seasons that rotate wild encounter types, or make certain surfaces harder to climb/navigate. I also think it would actually be nice to have some legitimate dungeon content, as Area Zero really felt like the only place where mobility was limited.

I’m out of steam.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2023, 01:49:16 AM »
I was actually kind of expecting something like the SwSh DLC. There's the blocked-off area in the northeast of the map that a lot of people think is going to be Kalos, and I do think something will come of it for DLC. However, it could be one of those things that GameFreak puts in the game and never come back to.

Expanding Area Zero would also be something I'd like to see. They could easily add more area or give us the chance to go through the time machine and see more paradox Pokémon. There's at least one new legendary the game has hinted at that we should see. Plus, even though SV gave us 4 more legendaries to go hunt down that SwSh, it still feels like we don't get as many as we used to.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2023, 10:04:23 AM »
The thing is, the third legendary and the rumored Scarlet and Violet DLC legendaries pretty much confirm that the Time Machine isn’t actually a Time Machine. I don’t want to get into narrative specifics, but the supplemental lore pretty much states that there are more dangerous parts of Area Zero that we have yet to explore, and that there is a reason we don’t actually get a glimpse into the past or future that these machines access.

We haven’t gained access to a part of another region since Gen 2, so I highly doubt that we’ll see a return to Kalos, or even a part of it- if you look at that part of the map, it’s tall and featureless, and would probably be pretty lame exploratory content. Even if we returned to Kalos in some format, it seems to conflict with the nature of Scarlet and Violet’s narrative and thematic concepts, unless we’re just considering “stones” (mega and tera) to be the connective tissue. I think the best we can hope for is maybe a small, island-sized open world similar in structure to Paldea, but I do think that Game Freak is going to experiment with the DLC model to see what works well for them. Sword and Shield was expanding on the idea of the Wild Zone, which was ultimately a failure, so I would assume Scarlet and Violet would expand on the open world concept.

But hey, I’m a person who likes to make connections and attempt to tie things together logically, and Game Freak has proven to very-much not-be that. So who knows?

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2023, 07:16:34 PM »
We haven’t gained access to a part of another region since Gen 2, so I highly doubt that we’ll see a return to Kalos, or even a part of it- if you look at that part of the map, it’s tall and featureless, and would probably be pretty lame exploratory content. Even if we returned to Kalos in some format, it seems to conflict with the nature of Scarlet and Violet’s narrative and thematic concepts, unless we’re just considering “stones” (mega and tera) to be the connective tissue.

There is the fact that Roaring Moon looks like Mega Salamence. It's Violet Pokedex entry references a "phenomenon" from "a certain region". Usually, other regions are referred to as "far away" regions. But otherwise, this is a fairly strong connection. This region is also the first time we've seen wild Gogoat since Kalos, which makes sense if they're close to each other.

But I do think expecting Kalos is expecting a lot. I just don't see it happening. I think we'd be more likely to get a Pokemon Legends game set in Kalos.

The thing is, the third legendary and the rumored Scarlet and Violet DLC legendaries pretty much confirm that the Time Machine isn’t actually a Time Machine. I don’t want to get into narrative specifics, but the supplemental lore pretty much states that there are more dangerous parts of Area Zero that we have yet to explore, and that there is a reason we don’t actually get a glimpse into the past or future that these machines access.

I do agree that the lore makes Area Zero seem like more than it is, but I think that's par for the course for most Pokemon games. The alleged DLC legendaries that we see sketches of, don't make me think we'll see those things, specifically. But maybe ancient versions of the legendary beasts and future versions of the swords of justice. They're explicitly stated to the work of an artist's imagination. But I do wholly expect a DLC pack centered around the third legendary. Something like the Crown Tundra.