Author Topic: Everything Android - The Official Android Thread  (Read 317936 times)

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
Re: Everything Android - The Official Android Thread
« Reply #50 on: September 13, 2012, 01:13:03 AM »
Even those that don't officially have the Google Play store (because the manufacturer didn't want to include it), can still get access to it if you root the device.

Well yeah I know that. The OS is still technically Android, but Amazon purposefully removed most of it's core features to promote their own Appstore and content delivery services.

And I don't really care about rooting, jailbreaking, hacking, etc. I can enjoy my devices as they are, without any software modifications that may or may not break the device. I know people say "but you get so much more if you root/jailbreak/hack it", but frankly, I can live without all that stuff.
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 13, 2012, 02:22:18 AM »
Just the Galaxy S 3 is outselling the iPhone 4S, not Samsung phones in general...just a 1 model to 1 model comparison.

Yes, a new phone is outselling a phone that's been on the market for over a year and everyone knew was being replaced imminently.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 13, 2012, 02:49:21 AM »
The amazon series of tablets are forked versions of Android. There is deeper below-the-scenes changes in the OS itself which they made to make it more suitable to themselves. The aim really is similar to Apple in that they want their own "walled garden".

I might just get a Nexus 7, but I heard it has some hardware defects (screen popping out, buzzing speakers). Have those problems been fixed in the new models?[/size]

All launch products tend to have defects that get ironed out a few months after launch. Nintendo included. I think it's fair to say we're past the "launch period" now for the 7 so things should be settling down now.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 13, 2012, 02:53:13 AM »
The amazon series of tablets are forked versions of Android. There is deeper below-the-scenes changes in the OS itself which they made to make it more suitable to themselves. The aim really is similar to Apple in that they want their own "walled garden".

I might just get a Nexus 7, but I heard it has some hardware defects (screen popping out, buzzing speakers). Have those problems been fixed in the new models?

All launch products tend to have defects that get ironed out a few months after launch. Nintendo included. I think it's fair to say we're past the "launch period" now for the 7 so things should be settling down now.

Why didn't Amazon just design their own OS for the Kindle Fire then? I guess customizing Android to the point of no return was the cheaper route.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 13, 2012, 03:27:00 AM »
It's cheaper and they retain compatibility with the rest of the Android infrastructure.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 13, 2012, 04:10:40 AM »

I might just get a Nexus 7, but I heard it has some hardware defects (screen popping out, buzzing speakers). Have those problems been fixed in the new models?

Why didn't Amazon just design their own OS for the Kindle Fire then? I guess customizing Android to the point of no return was the cheaper route.
Cheaper and they don't have to worry about constantly fixing bugs as most of it was ironed out already by Google.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 13, 2012, 05:38:38 AM »
Android is a Linux. Linux is defined by the kernel because literally everything else is interchangeable although parts like the GNU stuff are fairly popular and almost always included. Linux already comes in dozens of distros that you'll sometimes even have trouble identifying as the same OS. It's perfectly legitimate to fork your own distro with whatever software you want. Hell, even the basic GUI comes in two major flavors (KDE and Gnome) plus dozens of minor ones. This runs on top of the X server which again is (or at least at times was) available in multiple implementations. Pretty much only the Kernel is developed as a single project and then there are all kinds of modules you can stick onto it to turn it e.g. into an RTOS. And then you can still see proprietary UIs and whatnot on Linux for embedded systems, many a router and set top box runs Linux. All that because reimplementing the core features of an operating system is a CRAPTON of work.

Since the Kindle can run the same software as other Android devices it's just a different distro, not a different OS. Amazon has an Android app store, actually making a new OS would make everything on that store useless to them.

Anyway, if you want to claim this to be the official thread:

What games are people here playing?

The ones among mine that I would recommend are:
- Dead Trigger
- Star Traders RPG
- Anything Kairosoft (although Game Dev Story is popular because of the subject the best of their games gameplay-wise are IMO Epic Astro Story and Kairobotica)
- Delver
- Dangerous
- Destroy Gunners II SP Operation Iceburn
- Triple Town

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 13, 2012, 07:44:02 AM »
Kindle Fire = runs Android = runs Android apps = an Android tablet. Keep in mind that it is NOT marketed as an Android tablet, so you're bitching about it for no reason.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 13, 2012, 05:27:11 PM »
Amazon has their own Appstore, they don't officially support the Google Play Store. So how does a Kindle Fire give you the same experience as a traditional Android tablet?

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 14, 2012, 02:44:06 AM »
Amazon has their own Appstore, they don't officially support the Google Play Store. So how does a Kindle Fire give you the same experience as a traditional Android tablet?

It doesn't "officially" support it. but Google Play can still work. It can be sideloaded, and all the content from there can be installed as normal. In no way is it blocked, except from being made invisible.

Otherwise the experiences is the same (barring Amazon's customisations, of course).
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 02:47:19 AM by Plugabugz »

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 14, 2012, 02:45:16 AM »
This thread is full of Paranoid Androids
is your sanity...

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 14, 2012, 06:21:17 AM »

You can install Amazon's appstore on any Android device. This is like saying a PC with Windows 8 preinstalled that has replaced the Windows marketplace with e.g. Steam is not running Windows 8.

Anyway, there's MUCH more to an OS than just the parts that you can see.

Given the talk in this thread I don't think the "Everything Android" thread title is justified.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 06:33:57 AM by KDR_11k »

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 15, 2012, 05:11:35 PM »

You can install Amazon's appstore on any Android device.

I meant the opposite of what you said.

Amazon doesn't want Kindle Fire users to have access to the Google Play Store, that's why they lock it out of OS. Amazon wants to be like Apple and have everything done through their services. The Kindle Fire is more like a gateway to the Amazon ecosystem than a tablet that's built around apps.

Since Android is owned and operated by Google, I'm surprised that they allowed Amazon to do this.

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 15, 2012, 05:20:32 PM »
Since Android is owned and operated by Google, I'm surprised that they allowed Amazon to do this.

What part of "open source" do you not understand? Amazon, and anyone else who feels like it, can do whatever they want to the OS before they release it.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 15, 2012, 05:33:16 PM »

What part of "open source" do you not understand? Amazon, and anyone else who feels like it, can do whatever they want to the OS before they release it.

Every single device listed on the official Android site has native access to the Google Play Store and Google apps built in, and those devices are all endorsed by Google as "official" Android devices.

Google doesn't endorse the Kindle Fire because Amazon blocks those things, so they must not consider it part of the Android family.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #65 on: September 15, 2012, 08:23:22 PM »
It's still an Android tablet though. And Google allows people to do whatever they want with the OS. Not having certain features only means that Google won't endorse it.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 15, 2012, 08:55:39 PM »
It's Google (and Amazon) that doesn't want (or let) the Kindle Fire to have access to the Google Play store (without modding). Amazon is not an official Android partner, so Google doesn't treat them as one. The thing is not all of the things on the Kindle Fire will work on all (or mostly all) Android devices, so they aren't an official partner, and they don't get Google Apps (or recognition) as a result.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 21, 2012, 11:57:36 AM »
Man android has the most boring hardware in the industry.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 21, 2012, 10:55:28 PM »
Your mom has the most boring hardware in the industry.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 22, 2012, 09:19:08 AM »
Well she uses a my touch 3G slide. Guess that backs up my statements.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 22, 2012, 12:32:26 PM »
Well she uses a my touch 3G slide. Guess that backs up my statements.

But you gotta love Samsung's new commercial where they parody the Apple fanatics who wait in line for the new iPhone every year.

If Apple wants to really tackle Android, why don't they just go after Google directly, instead of targeting a single Android manufacturer (Samsung)?

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #71 on: September 22, 2012, 12:35:04 PM »
Because Google doesn't really make Android devices, they just make the OS. Apple is also going after Motorola and HTC.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 22, 2012, 12:43:21 PM »
Because Google doesn't really make Android devices, they just make the OS. Apple is also going after Motorola and HTC.

Yeah, but Google is the reason those companies are making Android devices. So to cause the most damage, Apple could go after the source (Google).

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #73 on: September 22, 2012, 12:52:17 PM »
The thing is, Google isn't violating any Apple patents though, so Apple would have no justification to sue Google.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 22, 2012, 02:08:25 PM »
The only patent android infringes on is pinch to zoom and that won't hold up in court. All of the other things wrong with android are due to manufactur customizations.

Apple is going to eventually go after google in general. Expect it after the samsung cases has gone through appeals. Why do you think google has been uping its patent warchest.