Author Topic: NWR Newscast: Episode 14  (Read 5512 times)

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 19
    • View Profile
NWR Newscast: Episode 14
« on: March 25, 2010, 06:41:28 PM »
All about Red Steel 2, 3D Handhelds, and what to expect at PAX East; all in this latest episode of NWR Newscast.
 http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/podcastArt.cfm?artid=22807

NWR Newscast Episode 14: That's Not What DIY Stands For    

AAC Feed    

MP3 Feed    

Download in AAC Format    

Download in MP3 Format            

View in iTunes Store    

It's Friday, which means it's time for another episode of the NWR Newscast, covering all the news and releases from March 10th through March 24th.      

This week on the Newscast, we discuss the recent announcement of the Nintendo 3DS, some details regarding Super Mario Galaxy 2, and the potential in a new Kid Icarus game.    

In Whatcha Reviewin, Neal and Zach tackle the latest in the Pokemon series, and Neal also gives his take on Red Steel 2.    

Email the NWR Newscast crew at newscast@nintendoworldreport.com    

Follow the Newscast on Twitter!    

Credits:    

This podcast was edited by Andy Goergen.    

Check out Zach's side project podcast, Dinorama.    

Music for this episode of NWR Newscast is used with permission from A Boy Named Earth and Jonathan Coulton via Creative Commons License.

Your conversational partner has disconnected.

Offline DmentD

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
Re: NWR Newscast: Episode 14
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 04:06:09 PM »
What 3DS games could look like.....The game in the video is a JAP DSi download game titled (Rittai Kakushi e Attakoreda)  they need to release this game in the USA, I would love to try it. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5QSclrIdlE&feature=player_embedded
keep on keepin' on!

Offline greybrick

• Up the Irons!
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010, 06:22:26 PM »
What 3DS games could look like.....The game in the video is a JAP DSi download game titled (Rittai Kakushi e Attakoreda)  they need to release this game in the USA, I would love to try it. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5QSclrIdlE&feature=player_embedded

"3d" like this does nothing for me.
Bless you, my child.
Please turn the power OFF.

And Jonny, you don't ride the giant Cheep-Cheep

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2010, 01:02:57 AM »
Great show, as usual. I listened to it in my hotel room while winding down from a day at PAX so you could technically and in the broadest sense of the word say that the Newscast was at PAX. 
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2010, 03:40:40 AM »
A super guide in 3D isn't more complicated than one in 2D. Emulators have recording abilities, that's based on the deterministic nature of the game (given the same input the game plays out the same though usually that means input from power-on, they'd probably force the PRNG into a specific state when the super guide is activated) so you only need to record the player inputs and the rest of the level will behave as it did when the playthrough was recorded.

Offline greybrick

• Up the Irons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2010, 04:27:10 PM »
A super guide in 3D isn't more complicated than one in 2D. Emulators have recording abilities, that's based on the deterministic nature of the game (given the same input the game plays out the same though usually that means input from power-on, they'd probably force the PRNG into a specific state when the super guide is activated) so you only need to record the player inputs and the rest of the level will behave as it did when the playthrough was recorded.

Since I haven't made use of the Superguide I have no idea whether it is dynamic or not. Is it really just the recorded information of a playthrough?
Bless you, my child.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2010, 04:21:46 AM »
I believe so, haven't activated it myself but that's what I heard.

Also motion plus on rage of the gladiator would still help differentiate between left and right or up and down, accelerometers see a spike when you start and when you stop the motion (one in the direction you're going, the other in the opposite) which can lead to mistaking up for down and left for right.

Offline greybrick

• Up the Irons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2010, 01:10:36 PM »
I know that some of the Newscast hosts are into DSi Ware (or so I believe). I just bought a new DSi XL and am loving it, but I am not sure what games to download. I have already downloaded the flipnote studio, which is great for a free application.

If you guys had to come up with a list to maximize a $20 card, what would you suggest? (Note: I like most kinds of games, but would not want to download a racing, sports or gambling/playing card game)
Bless you, my child.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2010, 02:16:56 PM »
If you guys had to come up with a list to maximize a $20 card, what would you suggest? (Note: I like most kinds of games, but would not want to download a racing, sports or gambling/playing card game)

If you like falling block puzzle games then Pictobits ($5) is a no-brainer.

There's a lot of Sudoku games available--my personal favorite is Brain Age Sudoku ($5) but there are cheaper ones if you're strapped for cash.

If you haven't played Mario vs. DK March of the Minis then you should pick up Minis March Again ($8)--well worth it.  If you're already played the cartridge game and had your fill you can probably skip this one.

Dark Void Zero ($5) is a fun, old-school 2D metroid-like game that's tough as balls; it's fun, but if you're short on points it can be skipped because it honestly doesn't offer much you haven't played elsewhere.

Don't forget FlipNote Studio--it's free but awesome!

This thread has some good suggestions.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2010, 04:02:00 PM »
Pop Island is good if you want multiplayer, Army Defender is very good for 200 points, Suujin Taisen Number Battles is probably the best value for money and I love Reflect Missile.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2010, 08:15:04 PM »
Spotto(!) is a great angle-based puzzle game.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2010, 08:25:25 PM »
I think Red Steel 2 is a buy now kinda game.

Offline greybrick

• Up the Irons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2010, 10:11:35 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions all. I wish there was more Nintendo content on DSiWare. I have plenty of games like most available DSiWare games on my iPod already, so there aren't really many things that stand out to me.
Bless you, my child.

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2010, 11:20:07 PM »
What? Nintendo content on WiiWare/DSiWare? You want them to support their download platforms?

You silly, silly man. ;-)
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline greybrick

• Up the Irons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2010, 12:39:17 AM »
What? Nintendo content on WiiWare/DSiWare? You want them to support their download platforms?

Nintendo is to most of us a bad lover. She abandons us at times for more casual affairs despite our long standing relationship, and even manages to disappoint us in areas that we would have expected to be impossible. She may not show up to a date that she herself set, or invite us over to her own home for dinner and expect us to have a third party cook the meal. Still, despite all of these shortcomings we stay by her side, because when she is good she is oh so good.
Bless you, my child.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2010, 07:04:18 AM »

Third parties always go "waaaaah we can't compete" when Nintendo releases a game so the download platforms aren't getting much to keep third parties happy.

Offline greybrick

• Up the Irons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2010, 09:42:11 AM »

Third parties always go "waaaaah we can't compete" when Nintendo releases a game so the download platforms aren't getting much to keep third parties happy.

That is a very optimistic view sir.
Bless you, my child.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2010, 12:13:36 PM »
Well, that and anything Nintendo could make in their major franchises and sell on the Wii Shop is something they can sell at retail. People kept saying NSMBW should have been download-only but hey, it's selling better than Galaxy.

Offline greybrick

• Up the Irons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2010, 01:28:08 AM »
I ended up spending all of my 2000 points on:

1. Dark Void Zero- Great bit of retro fun, with some new modern flourishes. Holding down to shoot down is going to take some getting used to, when I am in Metroid/Castlevania mode and my character is walking, holding down is always crouch, I bought it because of all the positive talk on the podcasts and Zach's review.

2. Art Style: Digidrive- A really fun and frantic puzzler by Q games, I got it because of the "Why Q games rocks my socks" article by Neal. I am looking to get starship defense and trajectile in my next round of   purchases.

3. Spotto!- Enjoyable, but it reminds me so much of beginner's dynamics lecture that I can see how it will drive me batty (in a good way). Thanks for the recommendation Zach.

4. Mario Vs. Donkey Kong: Minis March Again!- This feels like it is going to be a real treat, already I enjoy it more than Mario vs. DK for the GBA. Neal's review sold me on it

Thanks for the great recommendations everyone. I tried to mention who prompted me to get each title because I am enjoying them all and wanted to extend my thanks.
Bless you, my child.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2010, 09:48:03 AM »
greybrick - I'm glad to sell you on excellent games.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2010, 01:06:46 PM »
I'm glad I didn't steer you wrong, brother!

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2010, 01:14:50 PM »
You guys covered a lot of ground in this episode. Looking forward to the Cave Story talk!
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!