Author Topic: MTV Launches Game Division  (Read 7216 times)

Offline Karl Castaneda #2

• Staff Clone
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
MTV Launches Game Division
« on: June 27, 2005, 11:38:08 AM »
MTV will now develop its own software.

MTV LAUNCHES NEW INTERACTIVE ENTERTAINMENT DIVISION: “MTV GAMES”     MTV’S INTERACTIVE ENTERTAINMENT STUDIO, “MTV GAMES”, TO INCUBATE & PRODUCE ORIGINAL GAME TITLES FOR THE MTV AUDIENCE;   PLUS CREATE INNOVATIVE STRATEGIC MARKETING PARTNERSHIPS WITH GAME PUBLISHERS

New York, NY (June 27, 2005) – MTV: Music Television today announced the launch of its newest division, “MTV Games.”  Dedicated to developing, producing and promoting unique and creative gaming experiences that resonate with MTV’s audience, MTV Games will work in-house through its newly created interactive entertainment studio, along with industry partners, to produce and market original video game titles.  MTV Games will incubate original game franchises in partnership with independent game developers.  In addition, the new division will forge strategic marketing partnerships with game publishers to connect with the MTV audience across multiple platforms.  MTV will work closely with publishers, leveraging its unique brand and marketing capabilities to maximize the success of each MTV Games release.

â€śIn 1996 we launched MTV Films with the hopes of discovering some risky and bold stories to tell.  Nine years later, I’m ecstatic about what we have accomplished, and today we launch MTV Games with a similar objective -- incubating breakthrough gaming concepts that embrace creative risk-taking, and push the boundaries of interactive entertainment,”   said Van Toffler, President, MTV Networks Music/Logo/Films Group.  

â€śTechnology, creativity and entertainment have continually adapted, expanded and melded together to create successful new industries,” said Jeff Yapp, EVP, MTV Networks Music and Logo Enterprise Group.  â€śMTV Games is an exciting new division with enormous possibilities within an ever-evolving industry.  We are forging into new territory and are enthusiastic about this unique and exciting new way of working with game publishers and independent game developers.”

As part of today’s announcement, MTV Games unveiled a strategic relationship with Midway Games Inc. (NYSE: MWY), a leading interactive entertainment publisher and developer, to market, jointly sell in-game advertising, and collaborate on soundtrack development for three upcoming games.  Under the deal, MTV and Midway will partner in a mutually beneficial royalty sharing structure.  The first release from this partnership will be “L.A. RUSH,” a high-octane, arcade racing game that allows users to fully embrace the car-tuning culture with creative design assistance from West Coast Customs, the automotive customization authority featured in the hit MTV series, “Pimp My Ride.”  MTV Games and Midway will announce the two other gaming titles to be released under the agreement at a later date.

MTV Games will also be a dedicated gaming laboratory and interactive studio for the creation, incubation, and development of new original game titles culturally relevant to MTV’s audience.  In addition, MTV will tap MTV Games as a new creative hub, extending game concepts into larger entertainment franchises that have the potential to transition into television, film and more.

In addition through strategic marketing partnerships, MTV Games will market a diverse slate of releases to core gamers and casual gamers alike, with unparalleled audience reach via broadcast platforms including MTV, MTV2, mtvU and others, online portals, wireless applications, outdoor platforms, MTV Films, and much more.  MTV Games will also partner with publishers to sell in-game advertising, collaborate on game soundtrack development, and develop complementary television programming.  In the coming months, MTV Games will announce additional publisher partnerships.

MTV Games is overseen by Jeff Yapp, EVP, MTV Networks Music and Logo Enterprise Group who reports to Rich Eigendorff, Chief Operating Officer of MTV Networks Music and Logo Group.  Tony Calandra, Sr. Director of MTV Interactive Products, will manage the new division and Joseph Varet, Director MTV Business Development & Strategy will oversee MTV Games’ business partnerships and strategic relationships.  Jamie Leece (formerly President of Gotham Games, a division of Take Two) will serve as MTV Games’ Executive Producer working with independent developers to identify new projects.  Marc Nesbitt, Sr. Producer of MTV Games will oversee all project production and creative.

I am Karl Castaneda's news-posting clone, also known as Karl Castaneda #2. I have an inferiority complex, thanks to my being a clone. Fear me!

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
RE: MTV Launches Game Division
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2005, 11:53:54 AM »
YES!
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2005, 11:58:34 AM »
At least I won't have to worry about this crap making it to a Nintendo system.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2005, 12:03:46 PM »
For every crappy developer that bites the dust, another takes its place! >=|
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my pokĂ©-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2005, 12:11:20 PM »
Just what we don't need...

-SB
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline darknight06

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2005, 12:24:43 PM »
Viacom objectives for the MTV brand:

Screw up the music industry forever, CHECK
Annihilate and stupify the video game industry more than it already is, WIP

OMG I was hoping I'd never see this day (moment of silence).  So I hear gardening is a cool, rewarding hobby these days.  Guess it's time to go to a hardware store to start on my new primary hobby.  j/k  But I got a feeling Acclaim's gonna look really good after these guys are through.  

Offline BigJim

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2005, 12:33:42 PM »
Oh boy. We'll get such quality titles as Road Rules vs. The Osbournes

Each game will only play for 30 seconds at a time, followed by 4 and a half minutes of advertising that targets image-conscious 11-year-olds. Xbox Live users will receive reglarly updated advertisements via downloaded streams. And they'll think it's innovative and cool. Because there will be advertisements devoted to telling them it's cool. So it must be cool!
"wow."

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2005, 01:57:55 PM »
This looks like a rare situation where I can claim something will suck without knowing anything about it and not have anyone give me crap over it.

So, um, this is going to suck.

Offline Shin Gallon

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2005, 02:06:03 PM »
"Game titles for the MTV audience" would consist of pushing a button once between 20 minute clips of "Pimp My Crib" or whatever it is they show instead of music these days...
"Friends don't let friends watch dubbed anime."

http://shingallon.com

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2005, 02:06:17 PM »
Ian I will still give you crap about it.

If you love "mature" gaming which means no story but lots of pointless violence and cussing and basically the american idea of mature gaming...then MTV Games will be for you.

Real Gamers can just umm.  Cry and take up gardening.  Its a hobby my wife can enjoy too...who knows maybe we can do more than gardening in the umm...garden.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE:MTV Launches Game Division
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2005, 02:09:35 PM »
Wow, this is just what I wanted. Who doesn't want a game that focuses on getting the most money possible by squeezing in advertisments, with the eventual goal of having no music on the station at all?
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline gally

• What 'chu talkin' 'bout Internet?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2005, 02:11:31 PM »
Coming soon...MTV Gardening!

Featuring, bikini-clad babes watering flowers! "Flower" metal music - real music, not for pansies! And all manner of badass advertising. Get your Pantera Petulias now!

Offline gally

• What 'chu talkin' 'bout Internet?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2005, 02:14:33 PM »

Originally posted by: Spak-SpangIf you love "mature" gaming which means no story but lots of pointless violence and cussing and basically the american idea of mature gaming...then MTV Games will be for you.

A story does not make a game mature, you know. Heck, people who want to prove how "mature" they are sometimes point to story specifically for that reason, even though games stories are often either just the "6 Ws" to set up theme, or a bunch of convoluted nonsense intended to sound "deep".

But I agree on everything else about this "maturity" nonsense. I love how MTV will actually develop in-house games, rather than just be a publisher who slaps their name on the box like the other big names. So if it sucks, you know they actually made it, not just published it.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2005, 05:47:07 PM »
Wow, another bunch of *ss-holes sticks their noses in the video game industry. This kind makes you wonder who's next.

I could make a gardening joke, but I won't.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2005, 06:31:20 PM »
I can't wait for the Britney and Kevin game! Maybe they'll make a game about making shows that are about making games.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2005, 06:51:34 PM »
I can see it now Martha Stewarts  Gardening party for the DS. This year ........with more new seeds!!
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline thepoga

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2005, 09:05:23 PM »
why is MTV even called MTV? Half the stuff isn't even about music at all.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2005, 09:19:30 PM »
I want a Pirates vs. RIAA game...

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2005, 08:43:41 AM »
I want a Sid Meier's Pirates vs. RIAA game...  
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2005, 09:32:33 AM »
"Hellp? Is this Speedie's Pizza?"
"Yeah."
"Good, 'cause I'd like to order two large peperonni pizzas."
"Well, uhhh, we don't sell pizza."
"What?!?"
"We sell raccoon hats and eyepatches. Call a bookstore if you're hungry."
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2005, 09:41:54 AM »
That reminds me of Pizza Connection:

"Is this the joke article shop?"
"Yes, what would you like?"
"I'd like vanilla ice."
"Ah, that'll be 1000$ a pece."

Next day:
"You have been arrested for illegal weapon possession".

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2005, 11:00:11 AM »
I thought Microsoft was already in the industry?

Oh burn.

><
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram