NWR Interactive > TalkBack

Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection DLC Doomsday To-Do List

(1/5) > >>

JusDBerube:
A list of titles that will be losing DLC, or other content, when Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection goes offline.http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/feature/37033/nintendo-wi-fi-connection-dlc-doomsday-to-do-listBy now, I'm sure you all know that the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection service will permanently be going offline on May 20, 2014. This means that many Wii and Nintendo DS titles will lose their ability to have functioning online multiplayer modes. Even worse, games that offered unpaid DLC, or had content blocked unless earned through some online means, will never be able to gain access to it again.In order to help you, and the world, preserve as much as possible before the deadline, we have come up with this handy list of Wii and DS titles that will be impacted by the loss of DLC, or other content. We hope that you are able to connect online to get this content before it is lost.Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection will forever live on in our hearts, and hopefully the downloaded content will live on in some form. It would be a shame if the DLC wasn't preserved for historical purposes, so definitely help out by doing what you can before it's too late.(Note: If you see a title missing from this list, feel free to contact us so we can add it.)WiiAnimal Crossing: City FolkGet all the DLC from friends and other players online before it's too late.(Note: It will still be possible to get the DLC after the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection service ends, but you will have to do it by traveling to other people's towns, who have the DLC, through the Nintendo DS Suitcase feature. This will be difficult for most players.)Excitebike: World RallyCertain bike colors are only available to those who earn points through online races.The Last StorySeveral items and gear and only available to those who play the online multiplayer mode.WarioWare D.I.Y. ShowcaseGet downloadable games from NinSoft. Includes some special levels made by big name game designers.(Note: There isn't enough space to save all the DLC to this game. It is, however, possible to split the DLC between this and WarioWare D.I.Y. on Nintendo DS.)Nintendo DS100 Classic BooksDownload extra books.Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry SkiesDownload special quests and guests.Final Fantasy IIISend letters to friends over Mognet in order to unlock the Onion Knight job class, Legendary Blacksmith items, and a secret dungeon.(Note: It may be possible to still unlock these at a later date though direct DS to DS communication with the title)Fire Emblem: Shadow DragonLast chance to visit the online shop for exclusive items such as the Brave Weapons and the Elysian Whip (the only way to access the Falcon Knight class).Fossil Fighters: ChampionsDownload exclusive fossils.Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown WarsUnlock special Missions.Jam with the BandDownload extra songs.(Note: If you have further information about how many songs there are, and how many game carts are needed, let us know.)Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2: March of the MinisDownload levels.Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Mini-Land Mayhem!Download levels.Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Minis March Again!Download levels.Picross DSDownload Puzzles.(Note: It will take 10 copies of the game to download all the official content.)Picross 3DDownload Puzzles.(Note: It will take two copies of the game to be able to store all the DLC.)Pokémon ConquestDownload Episodes.Pokémon Ranger: Guardian SignsDownload Missions.Pokémon Ranger: Shadows of AlmiaDownload Missions.Professor Layton and the Curious VillageDownload all the Weekly Puzzles.Professor Layton and the Diabolical BoxDownload all the Weekly Puzzles.Professor Layton and the Last SpecterDownload all the Weekly Puzzles.Professor Layton and the Unwound FutureDownload all the Weekly Puzzles.In London Life, send/receive enough gifts from friends in Segal's Social Club to unlock rare items and special visitors.Style SavvyDownload special clothing.WarioWare D.I.Y.Get downloadable games from NinSoft. Includes some special levels made by big name game designers.(Note: It will take an estimated two copies of the title to hold all the DLC games. It is also possible split the DLC between this and WarioWare D.I.Y. Showcase.)

MisterE13:
Glad to see something like this, I mentioned in another thread that I was hoping we could get this list written.

A few questions/comments:

The extra missions in both Pokémon Ranger games were limited-time offers and were finished a while ago. This may also be the case for most/all of the content from Conquest. I have nothing against mentioning it for people who see the games in the list of games losing features and wonder what they're missing out on but then you might have to mention events from the main Pokémon games or even the Guitar Hero DLC which have also been discontinued. If nothing else, I'm sure posterity would appreciate as complete a list of Wii/DS DLC.

Also, I think there was stuff you could unlock in Final Fantasy III by sending messages to other players. Is that not included because (I think) you can also get it through local wireless? Because that might be harder for people to organise.

Related to that, I thought I heard that the Dragon Quest stuff could also be unlocked through local interaction. Worth noting?

Chariblaze:
The puzzle DLC for the Laytons, and I think the books in 100 Classic Books, are all on cartridge, so if you're willing to cheat later on down the road they're not lost forever. Still, good enough reason for me to pick them up.

Sucks to hear that Picross DS/3D won't be able to hold all their DLC on one cartridge. :( Not sure if it's worth $5 to pick up another Picross 3D just for that...

Pokemon Conquest: The episode distribution ended long ago, but you can use an odd password system to unlock them now.

Pokemon Rangers: Both Shadows of Almia and Guardian Signs still have two missions each up for download. Like Layton, though, these are all on-cartridge, so you could cheat them in later.

Dragon Quest IX: Yeah, MisterE13 is right, if you connect locally with someone who's already downloaded the quests, you'll get them, too. I wouldn't risk the chances of that happening, but it is possible.

Also: GTA: Chinatown Wars. It took me a while to confirm this, but there are two missions that only be accessed by connecting to the Rockstar Social Club and playing some minigames. The missions are only going to last you 15 minutes or so compared to dearth of puzzles in Layton, though, so I wouldn't get the game NOW if that's all you want it for.

Last bit, Pokemon. There's not really much in Pokemon that could be considered DLC (not counting Mystery Gifts, but those are all over, anyway), but there are medals (achievements) in Black 2/White 2 that are fairly exclusive to online play: Do a trade with someone internationally so you can visit Union Tower, and fill up your Pal Pad. Trading "internationally" SHOULD be fairly easy down the road if you have two copies of the game--just register your location in one copy as being in a different country, and that should work. The Pal Pad one is also possible to get after the shutdown, but since Friend Codes won't be handed out after that date, I implore you to find 31 other copies of BW/BW2 that have connected to the Internet at some point. Good luck.

Also in Pokemon: Female Pokemon with their Hidden Abilities. Most of everybody who knows what that means has moved on to X/Y at this point, but there is still some reason to collect all the HAFs/DWFs in Black/White (RNG abuse, mainly). After the shutdown, the only way to legally get these Pokemon will be through local trading with someone who got them from somewhere else. If you have no idea what I'm talking about, then just ignore this part.

Cyrian:
How about Friend Vouchers in Metroid Prime 3 and Trilogy?
I still can't believe that they actually tied bonus content to those stupid things.

Chariblaze:

--- Quote from: Cyrian on April 16, 2014, 11:14:14 AM ---How about Friend Vouchers in Metroid Prime 3 and Trilogy?
I still can't believe that they actually tied bonus content to those stupid things.

--- End quote ---

I think that stuff became unavailable last June when the Wii Message Board was shutdown. Not as huge of a deal since saves are sort of easy to import on Wii; GameFAQs has a nice save file that has no progress, but all the necessary credits.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version