Author Topic: Project Cars Wii U Officially Cancelled  (Read 2732 times)

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
Project Cars Wii U Officially Cancelled
« on: July 21, 2015, 04:10:23 AM »

"We're awaiting an announcement from Nintendo on new hardware."

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/40780/project-cars-wii-u-officially-cancelled

A report from NintendoLife has confirmed that Project Cars Wii U has been officially cancelled.

The realistic racer was originally slated to come out on Wii U later this year following the game's PC/Xbox One/PlayStation 4 releases, however developer Slighty Mad Studios were unable to get the game to run at a satisfactory framerate and resolution on the Wii U. Studio head Ian Bell indicated that they were looking at future Nintendo hardware and were hoping for an announcement soon.

The game has sold over a million units to date worldwide, and a sequel has been announced.

Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
Re: Project Cars Wii U Officially Cancelled
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 11:56:12 AM »
I'm bummed. I'll eventually play the game when I buy a PS4, but I was looking forward to having at least some kind of racing sim on Wii U.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 12:30:39 PM »
Mario Kart is life. Play Mario Kart Always.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 12:44:37 PM »
No surprises here. This was pretty much to be expected once the PS4 & Xbone versions released, allegedly sold well, and the devs started complaining that the Wii U was too weak to run the game.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 02:08:05 PM »
Here's Slightly Mad Studio's Ian Bell on the issue back in May:
We could reach a fairly solid 30FPS [on Wii U] but it might take a hell of a lot of work. On the other hand, about halfway through us finishing, Nintendo might announce a new console (I have zero knowledge on this BTW but I've heard 'rumours'). Our work might just be the best thing that ever hit that new console in the driving sim genre.
In light of that, I'm not sure I buy that Wii U is too weak to run the game. Rather, it sounds like the team could try to get it to work but was playing chicken with Nintendo announcing NX which obviously hasn't happened. Slightly Mad Studios probably doesn't think it's worth the effort when Wii U's successor will be announced in less than a year. That is certainly the team's prerogative, but let's not pretend that studio boss, Ian Bell, didn't basically admit as much. Coupled with the fact that Slightly Mad Studios already announced a new crowdfunding campaign for a sequel about a month ago, and it isn't that difficult to see why it wouldn't want to put the time and energy into a late port to a struggling platform when it can refocus its efforts on a sequel that can be ported to said platform's successor. Slightly Mad Studios isn't a large company. It has to do what's best for business. A Wii U port isn't, and blaming a struggling platform is better damage control than "We don't feel like it because we're already working on a sequel."

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015, 02:34:45 PM »
And my interest in this game is also Officially Cancelled.
These jagoffs yanked our chains for over 3 years! promising greatness for the WiiU. Way to stick the landing, boys. You are indeed slightly mad for thinking I would support you now.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2015, 02:43:59 PM »
Called it 3 years ago :).  Crowdfunding at it's best.  I wonder if anyone on this site funded the game?

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2015, 03:42:24 PM »
Not suprised, just scummy. Ian Bell can take his place alongside Randy Pitchford.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2015, 03:49:12 PM »
These jagoffs yanked our chains for over 3 years! promising greatness for the WiiU. Way to stick the landing, boys. You are indeed slightly mad for thinking I would support you now.

Welcome to the hell that Vita owners are in right now, where we've been seeing developers pulling their Vita ports at the last minute a lot recently.

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2015, 04:43:37 PM »
It was not meant to be :(

Offline tyto_alba

• Localization =/= Censorship
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2015, 05:09:40 PM »
bastards. i hope noone buys their sequel to their boring race-sim.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2015, 05:23:49 PM »
bastards. i hope noone buys their sequel to their boring race-sim.

And yet it wouldn't have been boring if they had released on Wii U?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2015, 05:35:55 PM »
I was interested for a while, but then was turned off by the way they designed the career mode, so I probably wouldn't have bought it anyway, but it's too bad for people who were looking forward to it.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2015, 06:11:59 PM »

Welcome to the hell that Vita owners are in right now, where we've been seeing developers pulling their Vita ports at the last minute a lot recently.
And the sad thing is the Wii U, to my knowledge doesn't even have double the number of units sold.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2015, 06:46:23 PM »
This has been one hilarious mess.

Offline leahsdad

• This title stolen by Rhythm Thief
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2015, 03:01:41 AM »
Eh.   Yeah, hard to compete with Mario Kart.   I haven't touched my copy of Sonic Transformed in a very long time, and Need For Speed?  I think it's still in shrinkwrap.

On another note, they say they've sold a million copies.  Does that mean they've actually turned a profit?   I get the feeling that it actually doesn't, which is sad in its own way.
[Showing off game collection]

Oh yeah, I know I have 2 sealed copies of that game.   1 is for trading.  But people who collect Amiibos?  They really have a problem!