Author Topic: 3D Space Harrier Review  (Read 2478 times)

Offline Daan

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
3D Space Harrier Review
« on: January 17, 2013, 07:14:06 PM »

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone... in 3D!

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/review/33034

This Space Harrier remake is based on the game’s arcade version, in which digitized voices greet you with classic lines such as ''Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!'' The game takes place in the Fantasy Zone, a weird wasteland that you guide your character through. Space Harrier is a third-person shooter at heart, with the player following a strict path in every level. The player tries to defeat an array of enemies, like gigantic dragons, old prehistoric creatures, and various invading aliens. At the end of every stage, a boss tests your skills to see if you can handle the next brightly colored world. Even with age, the gameplay style holds up, and is quite a spectacle.

The 3DS version duplicates the precise control of the arcade classic. Players can use the Circle pad and buttons, or use the touch screen to move the character around and have him automatically fire on enemies. The latter option should allow newcomers to ease into the game’s difficulty, and give veterans a new way to experience the game. Players can also tweak various settings to get the difficulty, screen size, and audio levels to their liking.

The game comes with added features, including the ability to select a starting level, and to save your progress at any time. The only notable gameplay omission of this version is that of any shared leaderboards. The game’s original aesthetic lends itself well to the addition 3D, and does a splendid job of presenting the depth of each plane. There used to be an arcade cabinet that would move alongside the movement of the joystick, and the 3DS version duplicates that feel exactly. You can even add button sound effects to relive those good old days.

It seemed like a risk for Sega to take the 3D Classics approach, but this version of Space Harrier excels in every way. Its iconic gameplay remains intact, complemented by smooth controls and crisp 3D visuals, and the array of options makes it a more worthwhile version of the classic than any of its other releases.

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
Re: 3D Space Harrier Review
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 08:29:18 PM »
wooh they made this?! Awesome.  :cool;  Love this game ever since I played it on Shenmue.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline vids

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 07:46:57 AM »
I'd love to see Out Run, After Burner, and Thunder Blade make a 3D appearance from SEGA as well. Pretty much any game on the z-plane should do (Tempest, Roadblasters, Chase HQ and STUN Runner come to mind as well)

Offline fcbully

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 07:45:39 PM »
Why can I not find any reference to this game in eshop?

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 07:47:54 PM »

Because the game is only out in Japan (hence why the article has the Japanese flag next to the review).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline fcbully

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 07:54:03 PM »

Never Mind... Just noticed its only for Japan :p thats BS!!!

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2013, 08:08:31 PM »
The game was rated by the Australian Classification Board in January, so it could come here eventually.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline StrikerObi

• BanEditLockDelete Podcast Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
    • Pixel du Jour
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2013, 02:31:56 PM »
Update for Americans: this game is now available in the US eShop. My review of it will be posted soon (spoiler: I liked it).