Author Topic: Switchmas Eve Rumors and Speculations Thread  (Read 663926 times)

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
Or "NX is an operating system" and DQXI is releasing on two handhelds next year.

Officially, SE is only "considering" the NX: http://www.jp.square-enix.com/company/ja/news/2015/html/8e4134b8203fc226980d056951e0aac0.html
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
Well, the NX has to run on some piece of hardware. If it was only a regular handheld console, that would be underwhelming.

I was just about to write that the NX version is not set in stone. That might indicate that Square Enix doesn't know that much more about the NX than we do.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
Or "NX is an operating system" and DQXI is releasing on two handhelds next year.

My money is on the possible NX version of DQXI being a port of the PS4 version, regardless of whether its a handheld or a console. We'll get to see the "scaleability" of the new OS, and maybe see how much easier it is to port than Wii U/3DS.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
Anyone else think the NX could be a very slight incremental bump in specs to accommodate the ability to use 2 or more touch screen controllers.  This is what the Wii was compared to the GCN.  Nintendo even stated that they originally tried to get four wiimotes working on the Gamecube and it just wasn't powerful enough. So they created the Wii so it had enough power for that and that's pretty much all they added.

Could the NX just be a Wii U, but with enough power to stream to four touchscreens at once and possibly add multitouch?  I'm hoping it's more and it can have the PS4 version of DQXI ported to it with no problem.  But with the way Iwata mentioned that the NX would somehow absord the Wii U, they may look at what they did from GCN to Wii and think they could replicate that and have success.

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
SURPRISE! NX is a Nintendo branded line of shoes & bread.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
Anyone else think the NX could be a very slight incremental bump in specs to accommodate the ability to use 2 or more touch screen controllers.  This is what the Wii was compared to the GCN.  Nintendo even stated that they originally tried to get four wiimotes working on the Gamecube and it just wasn't powerful enough. So they created the Wii so it had enough power for that and that's pretty much all they added.

Could the NX just be a Wii U, but with enough power to stream to four touchscreens at once and possibly add multitouch?  I'm hoping it's more and it can have the PS4 version of DQXI ported to it with no problem.  But with the way Iwata mentioned that the NX would somehow absord the Wii U, they may look at what they did from GCN to Wii and think they could replicate that and have success.

Oh trust me, whatever NX turns out to be, it can't get anywhere close to the wild imaginations of NWR forum goers.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!

But would they really make that mistake AGAIN?  I mean, yeah, they would but. . .

Nevermind.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile

That seems like an idea that is 100% guaranteed to fail.  If the touchscreen was such a great idea I figure the Wii U wouldn't have flopped in the first place.  Plus how expensive would it be for someone to own four touchscreen controllers?

Of course it's Nintendo so while I don't think they'll do this, I wouldn't be shocked if they did.  My expectation of the NX is that it will not be what I think it should be.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
The only way I can see NX being an incremental bump is if its a literal hybrid. That's the sacrifice that has to be made for a product like that to be even remotely viable. Battery life and heat instantly limit handheld electronics. Again, Iwata has already said more than once that Nintendo isn't going the hybrid direction. Unless that's just misdirection, I believe it. Nintendo still wants to sell two pieces of hardware even if they play the same games. Why? Because schmucks like myself would totally still buy both.
Plus how expensive would it be for someone to own four touchscreen controllers?
Not much more expensive than it costs to own four controllers on the other consoles as long as Nintendo doesn't get too greedy. At launch, Nintendo was trying to make like $100 per replacement which can promptly get the **** out of my face. These companies make a killing on controllers because the console is worthless without them. Even with an upgraded GamePad, I still see Nintendo having the Pro Controller around which it will similarly make a killing on.

The Wii U Pro Controller probably costs Nintendo less than $10 in parts and manufacturing. I've always felt Nintendo set the price at $50 for profit margins and for parity. It wants the controller to seem on par with the others even if it's missing key pieces. It also makes the GamePad seem like a luxury item even it isn't. Such is life, I guess.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 12:57:55 PM by Adrock »

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
So much speculation here.  Ill be honest, the most I expect, and it's evidenced by some things that have already been written, is:

• New console AND new handheld.
  • Not a "hybrid", but running same software & similar enough architecture to "port" games between each other.

The wildest i'd be willing to speculate:
  • The handheld will be one screen, not two.  Capacitive touchscreen, but also have traditional inputs.
  • If you own both handheld & console, the handheld will sync to the NX console the same way the gamepad syncs to the Wii U.
  • You'll be able to sync either the Wii U gamepad or the NX handheld to the NX console to enable dual-screen funtionality in select games.
  • NX will be backwards compatible with Wii U - this'll act as an installed base of good Nintendo games to entice those who may have passed on the Wii U but would be interested in the NX.
  • NX console & handheld will share the same pool of games, with exception of a select number of games that are "NX console exclusive" that'd require the horsepower of the console proper. 

All together, that seems like pretty wild too, huh?  But I'm willing to wager at least one or two of those are accurate as it gets unveiled.

Offline sudoshuff

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
One of my guesses (and one for many people) is that they will expand on the idea of using the handheld as a controller for the console.  The 3DS works great as a smash controller.  This would allow them to do backwards compatibility for Wii U games. Instead of of bundling a gamepad with the new NX console, they could just say "if you buy the NX handheld, it will function as a gamepad." 

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
At first, I laughed at the possibility of the NX being a Wii U able to stream to multiple gamepads- but now that I think about it, it does make sense. They clearly spent a lot of development time on the streaming capabilities of the Wii U and while it didn't take off quite as well, if they dedicated themselves towards pushing that idea further and doing this "NX family" sort of idea, where the handheld streams to the home console, it might just work.

But how do they sell this sort of thing? I think telling people to buy two separate sets of hardware is a risky venture. Two SKUs, one for a handheld NX and one that has the console version isn't viable, especially if the console version is lacking features the handheld version has, or vice versa. Therefore, I believe that the console version will come with a disc drive/tv-connection device but also be a NX handheld as well.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
I'm hoping they bring the cost down of the gamepads to at max $70 as that would get it closer to the price of other controllers and still be considered a premium due to the screen.  That way it's more likely people would want this style of system.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
Multiple Gamepads is the same concept as games like Crystal Chronicles and Four Swords Adventures and, though I thought Four Swords is one of the best Cube games, the general reaction to those games was "meh".  The whole appeal is that everyone has their own screen... except that's like the norm these days with online multiplayer.  Even back in 2003 the concept seemed like a solution to a problem Nintendo invented, like the whole thing was some workaround for the online play Nintendo for some goofy reason refused to support.  Today when kids probably see local multiplayer as some archaic design from their parents' days it looks even sillier.  Online with voice chat offers essentially the same concept and Nintendo's idiotic anti-voice chat attitude doesn't change that.

So you take a concept that flopped over ten years ago that seems WAY less necessary today, paired up with the trademark concept of a console that was a bomb.  That's such a recipe for failure that it seems on purpose, like it's some weird insurance scam or something.  The Wii U was not some solid concept that was one or two little details away from being a hit.  It was completely the wrong product.

The only way I could MAYBE see such a concept work is if you have multiple Gamepads and all of them can do off-TV play at the same time with completely different games and sessions.  So the idea is that the family buys one system with multiple Gamepads, that are at a much lower price then separate handheld game systems would be, and all of them can use the console at the same time for different things in different parts of the house.  Someone is using Netflix in this room, two other people are playing a multiplayer game together in another, and another is playing a completely different game in another.  Of course that would require some impressive horsepower to pull that off.  That concept could possibly sell.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
Multiple Gamepads is the same concept as games like Crystal Chronicles and Four Swords Adventures and, though I thought Four Swords is one of the best Cube games, the general reaction to those games was "meh".  The whole appeal is that everyone has their own screen... except that's like the norm these days with online multiplayer.  Even back in 2003 the concept seemed like a solution to a problem Nintendo invented, like the whole thing was some workaround for the online play Nintendo for some goofy reason refused to support.  Today when kids probably see local multiplayer as some archaic design from their parents' days it looks even sillier.  Online with voice chat offers essentially the same concept and Nintendo's idiotic anti-voice chat attitude doesn't change that.

So you take a concept that flopped over ten years ago that seems WAY less necessary today, paired up with the trademark concept of a console that was a bomb.  That's such a recipe for failure that it seems on purpose, like it's some weird insurance scam or something.  The Wii U was not some solid concept that was one or two little details away from being a hit.  It was completely the wrong product.

The only way I could MAYBE see such a concept work is if you have multiple Gamepads and all of them can do off-TV play at the same time with completely different games and sessions.  So the idea is that the family buys one system with multiple Gamepads, that are at a much lower price then separate handheld game systems would be, and all of them can use the console at the same time for different things in different parts of the house.  Someone is using Netflix in this room, two other people are playing a multiplayer game together in another, and another is playing a completely different game in another.  Of course that would require some impressive horsepower to pull that off.  That concept could possibly sell.

I mean, I mostly buy this analysis, but I think they were more so gambling on local multiplayer still being the most enjoyable way to play videogames with other people. That was the Wii's big hook, and a huge awakening while it lasted, though the energy quickly went elsewhere. There's a reotroactively sad logic to them doubling down on unique/convenient local multiplayer experiences while integrating the tools of the previous iteration.

Offline Steven9wii

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
i think it's too early for another system.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Re: NX Rumors and Speculation Thread (July 2016 Release? $150? Third Parties?)
« Reply #141 on: August 01, 2015, 02:25:41 AM »

If it comes out holiday 2016 it'll have been 4 years, which seems reasonable considering how much of a flop the Wii U has been.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #142 on: August 01, 2015, 09:00:00 AM »

If it comes out holiday 2016 it'll have been nearly 6 years, which seems reasonable considering how much of a flop the 3DS was at launch.

FTFY
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 01, 2015, 12:42:28 PM »
Orginal Xbox had four years before the 360. GBA was three years before the DS came out.
Wii ran six years instead of the "typical" five, so a four year life cycle seems okay to me.

I speculate Nintendo could be replacing the typical console life cycle with a more frequent and incremental release schedule for successors, keeping the same basic software base. Something like the iPad has.

For example:
Fall 2016: NX portable
Spring 2017: NX home
Fall 2018: NX Lite
Summer 2019: NX home advanced

This was  hinted at by Iwata before: http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/nintendo-president-satoru-iwata-discusses-the-future-of-nintendo-hardware-beyond-wii-u-and-nintendo-3ds/

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 02, 2015, 02:45:01 AM »
I have a mock up/ prototype of what this system is and I'll post is 2maro.

The NX will play:

Two types of media Both Disc based and 3DS like cartridges on 1 singular system.

Have and advanced AR functionality (think that april fools gag from 2014 with both Google maps and Pokemon, my incredibly unreliable sources say Nintendo was most impressed with the response from consumers and have thought this to be the natural progression of gaming and NOT VR.

And whom ever said that the NX maybe a OS is really close to the mark. Think of the NEW 3DS XL with a docking station the makes it a home console.  Far more powerful than the 3DS but not quite a PS4.. DOCKING STATION is the Cloud, meaning the Home version of the game can be "paired" with the  "Go" version.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn NX port?

Yoshida says it's possible, depending on the release date and cross-platform gameplay. More importantly though, negotiations have not started yet.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2015/08/nintendo_nx_could_get_a_port_of_mmorpg_final_fantasy_xiv_a_realm_reborn

My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
That Final Fantasy 14 consideration... ah!
Negotiations not being started leaves some room that Square Enix doesn't know what the NX is in terms of technical specifications.

But what if Square Enix knows how much power the NX has? That these considerations of Dragon Quest 10, Dragon Quest 11, and now Final Fantasy 14 are not some carelessly spoken idle chatter but serious business?

This latest rumbling gives a bit of hope to the camps that want the NX or a component of the NX to have technical prowess on par with PlayStation 4 or Xbox One.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
One good thing to take away from this is that a third party like Square Enix is open to the idea of supporting the NX.  They haven't written it off as something they would never support because they would presume it would fail.  I fully expected somebody like EA or Ubisoft to have that attitude after they so quickly abandoned the Wii U.  Just somebody that actually matters not dismissing Nintendo outright is encouraging.

Though right now it's just talk so we shouldn't get our hopes up too high yet.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
Well it could be some developers dropped support of Wii U because they were already in the loop for NX. Square Enix is kinda a good canary when it comes to support. Generally, they are a well regarded studio that makes (currently mediocre) games, the games won't sell themselves so they rely on user-base and Square name recognition to keep themselves afloat. If they support wii u that usually means others will too.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
I would hope Square Enix knows what the NX is since it was allegedly shown to third parties at E3.