Author Topic: Radio Free Nintendo: Episode 144  (Read 8536 times)

Offline Yoshidious

• Silent Partner
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
Radio Free Nintendo: Episode 144
« on: May 03, 2009, 04:50:46 PM »
Neal Ronaghan gives us his hands-on impressions of EA's Wii MotionPlus titles, and RetroActive gets evil as Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts finally takes its turn.
 http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/podcastArt.cfm?artid=18354

Episode 144: The Punishment is Death    

Download in AAC Format           Subscribe to AAC Feed    

Download in MP3 Format           Subscribe to MP3 Feed    

Subscribe via iTunes (Please rate and review, too!)    

Unfortunately, Jonny once again could not sit in the RFN host's chair, but Greg, James, and Jon were delighted to have NWR News Editor Neal Ronaghan call in and share his impressions from a recent EA event in New York City. After going through his (MotionPlus enhanced!) hands-on time with Grand Slam Tennis and Tiger Woods 10, Neal has plenty of portable goodness to discuss, including Peggle DS and Dr. Mario Express for DSiWare.    

Little King's Story, GTA Chinatown Wars, and a unique conversation about Army of Two make up the rest of our New Business this week. Afterwards we get into your Listener Mail, where we give our picks for those WiiWare/VC games that used to be too big for the fridge, and take a trip back in time to the great cheat hoaxes of the past.    

The show comes to a close with the highly anticipated/dreaded arrival of our RetroActive discussion for the much loved/hated Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts. Luckily, we have three of the game's big admirers/Stockholm syndrome-sufferers on hand to stress the merits of Capcom's polarising Super NES platformer, but there's plenty of strong feelings to discuss on both sides as the crew opens up the old battle scars and reads from your forum comments. Just be thankful we don't make you listen through the show twice to get to the end!          

Credits:    

This podcast was edited by Greg Leahy.    

Music for this episode of Radio Free Nintendo is used with permission from Jason Ricci & New Blood. You can purchase their new album, Rocket Number 9, directly from the record label, or download it from iTunes, or call your local record store and ask for it!    

Additional music for this episode of Radio Free Nintendo is copyrighted to Nintendo and Capcom, and is included under fair use protection.  

Greg Leahy
Former RFN Editor

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
Re: Radio Free Nintendo: Episode 144
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 01:48:00 AM »
you guys mentioned the excellent music in Super Ghouls and Goblins.

iTunes store has a fantastic remix:

Title: Ghosts N' Goblins (La Dolce Mix)
Artist: Cripple Camp

Easily worthy of $1

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 03:07:09 AM »
Just wanted to thank Greg for working so hard on getting these out each week. It is a TON of work but to be so consistent is a really great achievement. So thanks Greg for your hard work!
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 03:22:45 AM »
Just wanted to thank Greg for working so hard on getting these out each week. It is a TON of work but to be so consistent is a really great achievement. So thanks Greg for your hard work!

Indeed.  I've spent much of the weekend (when I haven't been finishing up Alone in the Dark and my replay of Bioshock) trying to catch up on my backlog of podcasts.  Just listening from 140 to 142 I've really been appreciating how smoothly these episodes have flowed.  That they actually come out on time every week like clockwork is just icing on the cake.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 06:19:56 AM »
I concur.

The real icing on the e-cake had to be KARL SUCKS.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009, 09:28:17 AM »
Greg I expect to hear about your adventures in the game of mafia in the next podcast.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Yoshidious

• Silent Partner
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2009, 01:46:53 PM »
Thanks for the kind words everyone. The way our show is put together can present some significant challenges to getting it done in a timely fashion and thus keep a regular schedule (this episode being no exception), but as someone who listens to a lot of other podcasts I know how important it is for the show to come out on time consistently. It is something I've made a priority, and I find the appreciation for it very gratifying, so thanks again.
Greg Leahy
Former RFN Editor

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2009, 01:52:41 PM »
You guys do a great, great job.  RFN has been a priority listen for me for over two years, and what you said in your post is exactly why, Greg. 
Your conversational partner has disconnected.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2009, 03:00:32 PM »
Also Greg I am so glad you are the replacement host when Jonny is gone, you put on a really good show with really open discussions.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2009, 05:58:30 PM »
Yay, I'm back from traveling and ready to hear more ragging on me and factual errors in the latest RFN!

I heard that Greg had some major trouble editing this one, so all the kind comments must be especially heartening!
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2009, 11:35:53 PM »
We left you alone.

We forgot about you.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2009, 11:54:19 PM »
I'm sorry my audio sucked. I hate college.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2009, 08:08:56 AM »

I noticed that! It sounded like there were people talking behind you only when you said anything.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2009, 12:55:40 PM »

I thought you were scuba diving. Here I was thinking that was SOOOO cool.

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2009, 03:05:23 PM »
Thank you for the episode. Always fun to have someone different on.  Now where's my Radio Trivia?
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2009, 04:42:43 PM »
I actually bought a pristine copy of GTA 4 at Blockbuster too for $15.  But for some odd reason, I just couldn't help myself, I had to defecate all over the manual, Gamestop style.  Just felt too good to be true.
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2009, 06:03:01 PM »
It's only GameStop style if you remove the shrinkwrap and then pay full price.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2009, 06:23:05 PM »
It's only Gamestop style if you paid for it 3 months ago.
Your conversational partner has disconnected.

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2009, 05:11:53 PM »

I have to add my praise to the chorus of voices.  Greg is doing an awesome job; so did Crimm when he was carrying the bulk of the editing duties.  My own experiences with audio and video editing gives me at least some idea of the effort that must go into these things; I know that it's got to be a labor of love that is alternately enjoyable and painful.

In general, I've loved RFN since the switch to the new crew sometime last year.  Over the last few months, it's become one of my favorite podcasts.  Kudos to all of you!

I hope that you can fill us in on more details of Little King's Story in the coming weeks, Greg.  Despite it's apparent weirdness, I've been interested in the title for quite a long time. 
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 05:32:00 PM by Sundoulos »
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2009, 06:15:57 PM »
Yeah, much appreciated on the quick turnaround lately, well done!
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline yoshi1001

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • PIRN-Pokemon Radio
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2009, 07:34:46 PM »
Thanks for the kind words everyone. The way our show is put together can present some significant challenges to getting it done in a timely fashion and thus keep a regular schedule (this episode being no exception), but as someone who listens to a lot of other podcasts I know how important it is for the show to come out on time consistently. It is something I've made a priority, and I find the appreciation for it very gratifying, so thanks again.

You guys are lucky in that you have a large pool of people to call on if one or two of your regulars can't make the show.
For Pokemon news and interviews, check us out at:

http://pokepress.blogspot.com/

Offline NovaQ

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
    • dudeldopp
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2009, 08:55:01 PM »
I too have to say that y'all are doing a bang-up job with the podcasts. It's always a joy to listen - just as much so with Greg's great hosting - and the fact that they're released on a now-regular schedule makes it even better.

That's too bad about Little King's Story not having any pointer controls. I suppose as long as the game works well without them, it should be fine. I'm looking forward to hearing what Greg thinks of it as he progresses. And man, do I have a craving for Die Hard now...

Goeman's Great Adventure was a lot of fun. I'd love to see it on VC - Mystical Ninja, too, as I never got to play it.

The SGnG discussion was great. I love the discussion of the jumping, difficulty, malicious (but not impossible) game design, everything. I didn't bother joining in with this edition of RetroActive, both due to time limitations and, mostly, the game's difficulty. Hearing the crew discuss it has me rethinking that choice, though. I wussed out in the face of Mega Man 8, but I've stuck with difficult games in the past. I may bite the bullet and download this one.

I noticed that! It sounded like there were people talking behind you only when you said anything.

I could hear Mario Kart at the beginning of the podcast...
I like to do drawings.
Blaarg
Wii: 7332 2646 9948 9927

Hello new job, goodbye life...

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2009, 08:59:30 PM »
Hearing the crew discuss it has me rethinking that choice, though. I wussed out in the face of Mega Man 8, but I've stuck with difficult games in the past. I may bite the bullet and download this one.

MM8 (Saturn/PSone) is probably the easiest in the series.  It's on Mega Man Anniversary Collection, too.  It was the first game to use bolts and the upgrade shop found in MM9.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline NovaQ

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
    • dudeldopp
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2009, 09:08:24 PM »
Hearing the crew discuss it has me rethinking that choice, though. I wussed out in the face of Mega Man 8, but I've stuck with difficult games in the past. I may bite the bullet and download this one.

MM8 (Saturn/PSone) is probably the easiest in the series.  It's on Mega Man Anniversary Collection, too.  It was the first game to use bolts and the upgrade shop found in MM9.

Whoops, I meant 9. I avoided 8...
I like to do drawings.
Blaarg
Wii: 7332 2646 9948 9927

Hello new job, goodbye life...

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2009, 11:29:19 PM »
Actually, I'm pretty sure that Mega Man 7 was the first to use the bolt/shop system, not that it really matters.
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost