Author Topic: Your opinion about Splinter Cell?(GC)  (Read 2827 times)

Offline Fish

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Your opinion about Splinter Cell?(GC)
« on: June 18, 2003, 11:26:20 AM »
Has anyone played the GC version and if you have is it any good? I liked Metal Gear Solid on PS1 and MGS 2 on ps2 and this seems pretty much as the same type of game. I like sneaking games and there aint too much of them on GC and i dont want to wait until MGS:TS.

(not a poll, just opinions please, dont want this to get locked now.)

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
RE: Your opinion about Splinter Cell?(GC)
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2003, 12:43:50 PM »
Well, I have mixed feelings. I feel pretty much exactly like PGC's review tells it.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2003, 01:29:02 PM »
I haven't played too much Splinter Cell beyond the demo but one thing worth noting is that the game plays more like a puzzle game than a standard 3D spy game like Metal Gear.  In order to progress through the missions you pretty much have to do exactly what the developers want you to do in each situation.  It doesn't leave much room for improvisation or designing your own strategies.  As a result it's a lot of trial and error.  I say rent it and see if you like it.  I think it's pretty cool but it took a while to get used to it.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2003, 05:54:38 PM »
I rented it a while back.  I thought that the game was a little too serious to be really fun.  It's great if you like the realistic take on the super-spy concept, but I prefer the more lighthearted MGS myself.  (as long as you aren't talking about MGS2).  Some of the puzzles in the game are just stupid though.  (Such as finding this one plank in the level that leads where you are going, and it takes an hour to find the blasted thing.)

I would buy the game if I had the money though.  It is really fun in its own way.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline Darc Requiem

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2003, 06:23:50 PM »
Its not a bad game but I wouldn't have bought it knowing what I know now. The GC version is just a port of the PS2 version. My friend has the X-box version and while I'm not saying the GC version should have been identical graphically it should have been pretty damned close. Everthing scaled backed or missing in the PS2 version is missing in the GC version. The GC is a far more cable system than the PS2. As usual we get the shaft. So its not a bad game its just turns the GC into PS2 emulator.

Darc Requiem
"Fiery words fuel debate and debate yields understanding."

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2003, 07:01:31 PM »
Sam Fisher can only climb up things the developer tells him to.  What an idiot.

"Hey Sam, get to the embassy by entering the restaurant with the armed guards in it.  Don't climb up telephone poles, apartment ladders, overhangs, or use grappling hooks.  There's a world of options available to you."
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline aoi tsuki

• View Profile
RE: Your opinion about Splinter Cell?(GC)
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2003, 07:48:41 PM »
Funny; i didn't even know there was a PGC review until i read this thread. Don't know how that slipped by. And it was written by Tim Rogers. There's a first.

The linear nature turned me off quite a bit. At least in MGS you have your options on how to deal with enemies, each with it's own consequences. i do think the developer did a good job of porting it in the time they had. Granted, it's a slightly upgraded version of the PS2 game, but given the simultaneous release it holds up against the PS2 version, which runs at 30fps for starters. They simplified the level architecture to fit in the PS2's memory, which i don't mind, but as my cousin watched me play he commented how they simplified a lot of the areas, sometimes for the better, sometimes not. Can't say we got the shaft seeing as how there's Pro Logic support and GBA connectivity bonuses. Granted, there could've been more, and the graphics could've been closer to Xbox, but then the GC version woud've been pushed back months after the Xbox release, and we'd be complaining about how it's not selling because everyone got the Xbox/PC/PS2 version already.

i'm glad i didn't run out and buy it full price, but i'll definitely pick it up when i can get it for $30-$40.
"Snake felt a hunger for Meryl blossom within his loins."

Offline G3cyco

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2003, 09:07:58 PM »
If you had a option, get the PC version. Its much better. In controls and depending on your specs, graphics too. Its also cheaper (in cost) on the PC.
http://www.touchdownlakers.com
"When I die, tell the media I always had a smile on my face"

Offline Fish

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2003, 03:49:06 AM »
My PC is so crappy it cant run even older games. And in Finland there is no game renting shops(atleast that i know of). There used to be during NES days about 3 miles away from me but now i havent seen one in years. Maybe there might be one in capital but im not going to drive fifty miles to rent a game.

Offline Uncle Rich AiAi

• Abandoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2003, 04:29:43 AM »
I played the PC demo.  It ran nicely on my PC.  While it was fun, what I didn't like about it was the gameplay was mainly trial and error.

Offline egman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2003, 05:08:38 AM »
I like the game myself, though I don't find it as polished or as fun as the MGS series. I does take itself a little too serious at times. The game can also be frustrating because you might get stuck at points that are really trial and error. That's a really a blessing and a curse of the extremely subtle and open-minded design of the levels.

And as Darc Requiem pointed out, this is essentially a port of the PS2 game, which is fundemental different than the X-box and PC versions. Forget the graphics, we're talking about major level design changes here. While I didn't play the X-box version that much, I remeber it being more of a challenge, so if you value those kinds of differences you might want to hold on the GC version.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2003, 10:57:53 AM »

Funny; i didn't even know there was a PGC review until i read this thread. Don't know how that slipped by.

correct me if i'm wrong, but i believe it was posted during e3, when there were roughly 40 news topics each day.  probably got lost in there (or even scrolled off the page before you saw it).
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline NintendoFanGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2003, 11:39:00 AM »
I love Splinter Cell.  One of the best GC games out there.  I have also played the GBA version, which is actually pretty good too, not as good as the GC version by far, but fun.  Hook the two up and get 5 extra levels on the GBA version and the use of sticky bombs on the GC version.  You can get the GC/GBA set at ubisoft.com for $15 off and free 2-day shipping.  That's a good deal if you plan on getting both.
http://shopping.ubi.com/gameinfo.php?id=482

Offline Fish

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2003, 12:50:18 PM »
Do you need the GBA version of the splinter Cell to have Sticky bomb in GC version?