Author Topic: F*CK EBGAMES  (Read 10621 times)

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
F*CK EBGAMES
« on: December 12, 2004, 11:37:31 AM »
To further prove to you why I hate these stores...

So my sister and her boyfriend walked into ebgames in syracuse, NY and picked up a ds and a game and brought it up to the counter....

The salesman then said, "That will be 280 dollars with our 2 year service plan, extra game, and solid case."

They then said, "No thank you, we will take just the system and this game"

The salesman then responded with "I'm sorry, we can't see it to you then."

after some arguing they were asked to leave the store...

What is wrong with the f*cking public....why do you all purchase these rip off service plans?  Just take care of your crap...I worked at circuit city and hated selling them...  THEY ONLY HURT THE CONSUMER!!

I'm never purchasing anything from ebgames again...EVER.  
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
RE: F*CK EBGAMES
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2004, 12:02:21 PM »
Ok, in a more calmed down version of myself, lets add another facet to this topic.  Where do you buy your games and do they pull crap like this?  Lets begin a search for the ultimate place to pick stuff up.  So far in my experience the best balance of selection and as*hole free salespeople seems to be the Game Crazy stores you find inside Hollywood video...  At least I'm sticking with them or a department store for now until I find something better.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2004, 12:16:21 PM »
My local GameStop tried to sell me a one year warranty, which I found hilarious when I read that Nintendo's warranty already covers it for one year.  Still, they run a good store, and I just saved like $70 the other day picking up some used games since they had a buy 2 get 1 free sale on top of the normal member discount.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline Hooboo

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:F*CK EBGAMES
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2004, 03:11:17 PM »
I shop at willow video everything there is cheaper and they dont have pesky sales people, plus they never try to sell you stupid deals like those.

Offline kirby_killer_dedede

• I SUK AT DIS ENTERNIT OK
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2004, 03:29:34 PM »
Places that nobody's ever heard of do tend to be cheaper, hooboo.

I use the Internet - that's where you find deals without rip-off service plans...
WHY HELLO THAR MR. ANDERSUN

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline joshnickerson

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE:F*CK EBGAMES
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2004, 03:32:57 PM »
The only time a store tried to wring more money out of me for games was Toys R' Us, offering me a replacement plan in case any of my games were "damaged". Dude, if my games are damaged when I open them, I'm getting a refund, no matter WHAT.
Oh, and Best Buy is famous for ramming you with service plans. I ended up paying 100 bucks extra for a monitor because of all the plans they added on. I really didn't realize it until I'd left the building.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
RE:EBGAMES & OTHER STUPID STORES
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2004, 05:49:38 PM »
When I bought a DS at Best Buy i just quickly grabed a DS box and Mario 64DS when they tried to sell me cases and useless crap I just proceded to the long cash register line.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
RE: EBGAMES & OTHER STUPID STORES
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2004, 01:41:56 AM »
I seem to remember this post with a different title.

Anywhoo, yeah, the crew at the local GameCrazy are great!  Highly reccomended!
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Caillan

• Token New Zealander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2004, 02:21:28 AM »
My local EBGames consistently try to rip me off with preorders and trade-ins. Pathetic things like adding $10 on to how much the initial deposit is. I normally wouldn't go there anyway, but because they get their games straight from Australia they can evade Monaco's peircing talons, sneaking reasonable quantities of Good Games past Monaco's disdainful eye. None of the employees know anything about the Cube (small talk: "have you played Metroid Prime? I heard that's good."), or really any other console, and they have a strange, unexplainable inclination towards curt and rude behaviour (one guy kicked out my friend because he kept on asking to buy the Zelda bonuc disc seperately.) I've seen a second hand game selling for more than four times what they payed for it, but they sold Skies of Arcadia (a very rare game indeed here in PAL land) second hand for only $80 (that's 55USD, most new games are 90USD.)

Normally, perhaps, the rise of another compeditor might have some positive effect in promoting competition by threatining to break the existing monopoly, but one must remember that matters are never quite normal when dealing Monaco Corps. You might at first suspect (expect, even) that  even the most standard of proceedures might be initiated to combat the competition - marking down old games, introducing player's choice, not selling GBA titles for over twice the US retail price - but nay, Monaco look down upon said tactics as their market shrinks ever more. As they typically only send about half the requested units to retail stores anyway, there'll most likely be a brief period in which the stores that haven't been run out of business by EB will recieve a larger proportion of their requests, but I'm sure Monaco will catch up sooner or later. At best, they'll drop the distribution contract, and no games at all will enter the country for a brief period until Atari picks it up, at worst they'll keep the contract but cull the distribution area to Auckland.

NOTE: I actually don't know how much of this is NAL and how of this is Monaco, but I was suffiently pissed off to to ignore this at the time of writing.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2004, 05:48:22 AM »
My only bad experience with EBGames so far was when I bought LoZ for the GBA, the idiot at the counter hands me the game, clearly rewrapped "See? It's even in the original packaging!". They even forgot to wipe their saves. I tend to avoid EB since they are on my list of "untrustworthy companies". Though that almost sounds like there are many EBs over here. I've seen two so far, both too far away to be of any interest to me. Generally, I try to go with Media Markt, though Karstadt has become really agressive lately (if I hadn't a DS, Wario Ware and Kururin Squash! on order from an importer already I'd have bought Prime 2 there today...). GBA games go for 35€ there, that's the same price as PC games (translation for US Americans: bargain)!

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2004, 07:35:08 AM »
"I shop at willow video everything there is cheaper and they dont have pesky sales people, plus they never try to sell you stupid deals like those."

Wow, someone else on this board shops there?  Cool.  It's easily the best place in my area to buy games but it doesn't really help anyone to recommend it if they don't live in the lower mainland of BC.

So PaleZer0 would EB actually NOT sell them the DS unless they purchased the service plan?  It pisses me off enough that they push it on you but it is unacceptable to force customers to purchase it.  Is that even legal?

I don't know who buys these things anyway.  Every time I'm in EB (though I really have to question why I'm in there in the first place) and I see someone buy a system they always turn down the service plan.  Why do you need a service plan for something as cheap as a videogame system?

"I'm never purchasing anything from ebgames again...EVER."

I've said that a lot but somehow there's always that one game that none of the other stores get and EB gets like one copy in (Midway Arcade Treasures I'm looking at YOU) and I have to go there.  I make sure to look really irritated when I go in there.

Fun fact: the above mentioned Willow Video not only has a more knowledgable staff than EB but they're better looking too.  The mainstream sh!t store has a bunch of fat losers working there while the hardcore gamer store doesn't!  Explain that.

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2004, 08:13:57 AM »
"Fun fact: the above mentioned Willow Video not only has a more knowledgable staff than EB but they're better looking too. The mainstream sh!t store has a bunch of fat losers working there while the hardcore gamer store doesn't! Explain that."

The people who buy Halo 2 and GTASA probably fell for McDonald's hype as well.

I've got 2 EB's near me... one is 5 minutes walking, the other is 5 minutes by bus. If the walking one gives me any sh!t I just go to the other one. Most of the people there know me by now though, so they don't try to give me any.
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2004, 11:20:26 AM »

My only bad experience with EBGames so far was when I bought LoZ for the GBA, the idiot at the counter hands me the game, clearly rewrapped "See? It's even in the original packaging!". They even forgot to wipe their saves.
I had a similar situation when I purchase a "new" copy of Sands of Time for GC from gamestop.com and they sent me a used copy that had been re-shrinkwrapped.  I was going to bitch and moan, but since it was only $19.99 w/ free shipping, I decided to let it slide.  However, in the future, if I can get the same price somewhere else, I'm going to avoid gamestop.com.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2004, 11:42:35 AM »
Yeah ian, they were told that the DS's were "only sold as part of our bundle"  And that bundle ran 130 dollars more..it included a 2 year service plan, 1 game, an extra pack of syli, and a case for the unit.
---------------------

Offline G3cyco

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2005, 07:33:13 PM »
dont blame the celrk at EB. I work at gamecrazy and I was told only to sell a DS if the costomer bought a MVP card (20 extra bucks). some old people got mad and left, but the next people in line had no problem with it.

I'm figuring they had to keep their IPT (items per transfer) high
http://www.touchdownlakers.com
"When I die, tell the media I always had a smile on my face"

Offline raptorspike

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2005, 02:17:20 AM »
Well, to answer the original question, I buy my games and stuff at walmart or amazon if I can't find it at walmart.

I have decided never to buy at Gamestop, because I had to spend 30 minutes arguing with them to return a item that was broken when I opened it.

G3cyco, I don't think that the deal Gamecrazy has is that bad. If the adults shop are going to shop there a lot for their kids, the MVP card will save them money.  

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2005, 03:09:55 AM »
Man, don't tell me that G3, now I have to start hating game crazy as well....
---------------------

Offline ib2kool4u912

• Prez Sez, SCHOOL IS FOR LOSERS
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2005, 02:04:16 PM »
That game crazy thing isnt that bad though. All you'd have to do is not a buy a game when you got the DS and the card the come back in and use the card to get your game. Thats a huge difference then paying $130 for something you don't want.

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
"But if that extra slot under the gamecube isn't for a hard drive then what the hell is it for?"

The Gamecube waffle iron.

"I have made this thread. It is mine. I call it. But I will share it with you."-KnowsNothing

Offline kirby_killer_dedede

• I SUK AT DIS ENTERNIT OK
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2005, 02:19:59 PM »
Yeah...I'm not sure how known this place is, but there're two FX: Special Video Game Exchange stores in my area.  Easily the best place to rent/trade/buy games around here.
WHY HELLO THAR MR. ANDERSUN

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2005, 02:24:58 PM »
I buy my games at Gamestop.com, EBGames.com, occasionally at Wal-Mart and occasionally at KB Toys.

I do all of my shopping on the Internet if I can (Amazon.com I love you).  I hate salespeople, and I certainly don't need any help for video game stuff.  The last time I bought something at EBGames it was my DS, and I never got any kind of hassle.  But then, I'm usually about 10 years older than the clerks.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline G3cyco

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2005, 09:47:21 PM »
oh, we only did it with that one DS. because we have to sell a certain amount of cards a day. plus, I get 4 dollars commision of each card I sell.
http://www.touchdownlakers.com
"When I die, tell the media I always had a smile on my face"

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2005, 10:23:17 PM »

The people who buy Halo 2 and GTASA probably fell for McDonald's hype as well.

making generalizations about people who buy popular games is genius

Offline Babyboy8100

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2005, 11:36:02 PM »
guys let me tell you my story of why i hate EB,Gamestop well right before the DS was launched here i went to gamestop to see a playable demo even though i was skeptical about going in there i still did a got to the DS played it and i liked it so when i asked the guy "excuse me when are you guys going to start selling the ds?" i asked, then he said to me have you seen the PSP? i then looked at him like if i wasn't interested IN A psp then i reply if i wanted one i would of ask you about it right? then he replies why are you getting a DS there's no good games out there and the graphics dont compare to the PSP plus you can play Movies&MP3's on it as well, then i felt the urge to bitch slapped him so he then could answer the question i had asked...then i felt like this idiot is just a drone like alot of people out there that need to be educated on what quality means, so then i said to him if i wanted to watch a movie i got a dvd player in my house, car ,office if i wanted to hear mp3's i got a dell jukebox with 40gig and all i need the DS to do is to play games i told him, he then came up with have you seen GT4 or MGS i said i have but i'm not impress why would i want to play straight ps2 ports of the same games with just little extras thrown in? then he looked confused thinking of what else to say, then he said you know its not to long before we see a portable GTA on the PSP! i just laugh i said when the PSP gets Zelda,Mario,Metroid or even Halo for that matter i will buy one but until then can you PLEASE!!!! answer MY F'N QUESTION?? then he told me the date,price and games then i said thank you cause i aint going to buy here thats for sure he looked at me upset cause he could'nt change my mind about it like they do to alot of people i think thats bad bussiness cause they and i mean they cause gamestop and Eb are bias sony is always perfect according to them, but the guy in discourages everybody trying to buy a DS man they should just be neutral and give you as much information on what you need as posible maybe if i ask for a differnt system or his opinion then i would nt have anything to complaint.
say no to GAMESTOP cause thats where my game buying stops.....
sorry for the long reply guys im bored its late and i felt like i needed to get this of my chest LOL....

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2005, 05:16:49 AM »
Sounds like buying games is becoming a quest in itself.

The EB guys in New Zealand are ok, but I wouldn't buy from them in the first place. Thier stuff in general is more expensive and any deal from them are rip-offs in one way or another.

The worse thing in New Zealand is that the exchange rate has shifted to 68 cents to the USD for like years (From 50 cents) and game prices across the board refuses to drop.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2005, 05:59:05 AM »
oohhhboy: That's the same it is in the entire non-American world.

Babyboy: I know I'd be VERY close to snapping if someone reacted to my question like that. You know, if I was considering a PSP at that point and he tried to get me with MGA, GT4 and GTA3.4 I would have lost all interest in the system.