Gaming Forums > Nintendo Gaming

Top 10 retro, or retro inspired games for the Switch?

(1/3) > >>

segagamersteph:
Rule one, no ROMS, but ports, remakes or homages are acceptable. Please list your top five, or ten, or 20 if there are that many, retro, retro themed or retro inspired games available for purchase right now or coming soon to the Switch.

Please no ROMS, like arcade archives but collections of roms or collections of games, like Mega Man, are okay.

All I have right now is Shovel Knight for retro-inspired, Wonderboy and Blastermaster for actual retro-ish. I like both games but am looking for more. Once I get moved I will be ready to start buying Switch games again. I already have Kirby and Mario Odyssey on my to get list but would like some good, smaller retro type games in the meantime.

Thanks.

lolmonade:
Question - by retro, are you referring to games largely within the span of 8-bit/16-bit?  Or anything prior to a certain year?

pokepal148:
Owlboy is amazing although it's retroness is mostly in the aesthetic

Dasmos:
Oh man, here's plenty of retro-style games.

Sonic Mania is a very intentional love-letter to the Mega Drive/Genesis Sonic games, but unlike those games Sonic Mania is actually a really good game.

Axiom Verge is a well-crafted Metroidvania in a 16-bit style. The art-style is a bit too drab for my liking, but I did have a good time with the game overall.

Stardew Valley owes a lot to the early Harvest Moon games, both in art-style and gameplay. Though, Stardew expands on the Harvest Moon formula exponentially, and I suppose adds a lot of elements from the HM spin-off Rune Factory series, like crafting and combat.

Thimbleweed Park is another very clear throwback by Ron Gilbert to the old LucasArts click'n'point adventure games like Monkey Island and Maniac Mansion. It has been described as a "spiritual successor" of sorts. I haven't played a lot of Thimbleweed just yet, but I'm excited to dive in further as I'm a massive SCUMM-boy.

lolmonade:
Off the top of my head, ones that haven't been mentioned:

Blaster Master Zero - I have not played it, but from what I've heard it's a pretty faithful remake of the original game.

Tumbleseed - Not necessarily retro in that it has ever been a video game, but there is an OLD arcade game called "Ice Cold Beer" that the gameplay is based off of.

FAST RMX - Not quite 8-bit/16-bit retro, but it harkens back similary to games like the N64/Gamecube F-Zero Games

Bomberman R - Konami has done a good job fixing a lot of the launch issues with this game, and I'd now say it's a fairly good version of Bomberman.  That said, my experience lately is that the online is dead, you'll be waiting minutes for at least 2 people to join a game.  For a discount, if you're looking for a local multiplayer option, I could recommend this game.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version