Author Topic: Switchmas Eve Rumors and Speculations Thread  (Read 663868 times)

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Switch Rumors and Speculation Thread (Mighty Switch Force Edition)
« Reply #2625 on: November 24, 2016, 12:22:20 AM »
It's interesting how times changes.  How many ports from the previous gen did the SNES, N64 or Gamecube have?  If they had launched the N64 with a bunch of SNES ports they would have been laughed at.  Of course back then the jump to a new generation was so drastic that last gen games would have looked really out of a place.  These days the differences are subtle.  Though everyone does it so I wouldn't single out Nintendo for criticism and new games back then weren't so expensive to make.

There is going to be a dynamic of what ports will appeal to certain kinds of customers that I hope publishers will realize that.  Something like Skyrim is only going to sell to Nintendo-only gamers.  If you wanted that game and had access to any recent non-Nintendo console or a capable gaming PC you would have bought it already.  At the same time Wii U owners will be less interested in Wii U ports.  Those games are for those that skipped the Wii U and want to experience some of its notable games.  And if you're someone who owned a Wii U and another console then NONE of those ports are of interest to you and you're only going to be interested in new titles.

Offline Agent-X-

• I speak Gibberish
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2626 on: November 24, 2016, 12:30:12 AM »
So I'm confused. I post news that the creator of Skyrim thinks the Switch was "one of the best demos", if not "the best demo" he's ever seen and confirms support for the system, but no one seems to care.

Bethesda is going to release a game on Switch that will be almost 5 months old on other consoles. I say the level of excitement here seems appropriate.

In the case of Skryim, that point is exceedingly irrelevant. Skyrim has been around on other consoles for years, and if you're talking about the Enhanced Edition [they gave it away for free] to those of us who bought all the DLC on PC.

The draw of Skyrim on Switch is the ability to play it anywhere and everywhere. It's a fantastic pick-up-and-play game. The moment I saw it on the Switch, I realized my adventures across Skyrim need no longer wait for me to get home!

Offline Agent-X-

• I speak Gibberish
    • View Profile
« Reply #2627 on: November 24, 2016, 12:45:20 AM »
So I'm confused. I post news that the creator of Skyrim thinks the Switch was "one of the best demos", if not "the best demo" he's ever seen and confirms support for the system, but no one seems to care.

A Switch with enhanced ports favors me, someone who didn't jump on the Wii U train. And there's a lot of us. From my point of view, I get a year one only a fanboy can dream of. If the line-up is true, I'm buying a Switch day one. The last time I bought a console on day one was the gamecube, so you see why this strategy might work.

I think the others are missing the point of Todd's comments. There's obviously a bigger hardware detail than what we've been shown, and it seems to have him excited. It is obviously something more than just the portable function of the console (so it can output to different HD screens, big whoop).

And then just today, the CEO of Gamestop really had a mouthful to say regarding the Switch during their investor call.

"The Nintendo Switch, which I played at Nintendo a few weeks ago--we believe could be another game-changer that will expand the audience for gaming."

"The Switch is a very interesting device.... A movement-related game is more fun for kids, you know, taking those [Joy-con controllers off] and then the master controller, you can really do a lot of interesting things with that in gameplay."

"I think it has tremendous potential as a game-changer. We'll have to wait and see. Like everything else in this industry, the consumers will vote with their dollars."

WHAT??

Up till now, no one had confirmed anything about motion controls! It seems he may have just confirmed something that Nintendo wasn't even letting slip through their "unofficial" rumor sources (aka Rogers, Dale, etc). That would seem a pretty significant detail to not leak out, no?

Personally, I don't care much for motion controls. However... if you're gonna do VR you sort of need them.  ;)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 12:50:40 AM by Agent-X- »

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #2628 on: November 24, 2016, 08:42:15 PM »
I don't doubt that there is some sort of motion control with the Switch.  Nintendo has been leading the way for motion gaming for years now. 

However, I do not think you can take the above quotes to mean that motion control is confirmed.  I read his statements as just talking about the break away controllers.  That the regular controller or main controller is a full fledged controller either in the controller dock, or connected to the Switch for portable play. 

However, the motion comments sound like the ability to just break away the controller for instance multiplayer games on the go.  For simple games this is a pretty amazing feature that will allow for playing simple multiplayer games on the go easily. 

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #2629 on: November 24, 2016, 08:54:34 PM »
I wonder if the Switch screen itself has motion controls or if it will just mooch off of the joycons.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #2630 on: November 24, 2016, 09:35:46 PM »
I wonder if the Switch screen itself has motion controls or if it will just mooch off of the joycons.

Interesting question.  I would assume that if anything the joycons would mooch off the screen, not the other way around. 

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #2631 on: November 24, 2016, 11:28:22 PM »
The joycons supposedly have some basic pointer functionality though.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2632 on: November 25, 2016, 02:06:13 AM »

Interesting question.  I would assume that if anything the joycons would mooch off the screen, not the other way around. 

it would make more sense for the joycons to have the motion controls inside, rather than the screen, IF only 1 were to have it.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #2633 on: November 25, 2016, 03:53:02 AM »
Black and Mild:  I dunno.  If you want to possibly play games on the screen that are just touch screen and motion without the Joycons it would make since to have it in the screen.  Also you could have motion controls in the Joycon main controller.

« Reply #2634 on: November 25, 2016, 09:35:08 AM »
Black and Mild:  I dunno.  If you want to possibly play games on the screen that are just touch screen and motion without the Joycons it would make since to have it in the screen.  Also you could have motion controls in the Joycon main controller.

How do you propose to hold the screen without the JoyCons in that scenario?
I am NOT MysticGohan.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2635 on: November 25, 2016, 11:19:05 AM »

The joycons being motion controllers when attached and especially when unattached makes a lot more sense than just having motion in just the tablet. being able to use the joycons as 2 separate motion controls, like 2 wiimotes, is infinitely more valuable in play-options than only having motion in just the tablet.

You can always attach the controllers to the tablet do do some tabletop motion marble puzzle maze game, but you would make games like Just Dance, Wii Motion Sports, Zelda Archery, drum master, two handed sword combat, etc etc etc an imposibility, as the controllers would need to be attached to the screen.

Not to mention of when you were trying to play these exact same games on the TV.... how would that work? hint: it wouldn't. You need the motion controls in the joycons, as that is the only way to use motion when playing on the tablet and/or the TV.

So if you only had to choose 1 part to put motion controls in, it wouldn't make sense to put it in just the tablet instead both of the joycons.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 11:22:35 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2636 on: November 25, 2016, 01:40:27 PM »

Bethesda is going to release a game on Switch that will be almost 5 months old on other consoles. I say the level of excitement here seems appropriate.

In the case of Skryim, that point is exceedingly irrelevant. Skyrim has been around on other consoles for years, and if you're talking about the Enhanced Edition [they gave it away for free] to those of us who bought all the DLC on PC.

The draw of Skyrim on Switch is the ability to play it anywhere and everywhere. It's a fantastic pick-up-and-play game. The moment I saw it on the Switch, I realized my adventures across Skyrim need no longer wait for me to get home!

One thing I'm concerned about if Skyrim does make it to the Switch is that its sales will be the judge for all future Bethesda titles; for instance, if it only sells moderately well then a port of Fallout 4 is more likely than their next output in the series.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #2637 on: November 25, 2016, 08:34:23 PM »
BlackNMild:  Yes I see your points, and agree.  Hopefully Nintendo will implement it's 3rd iteration of motions controls and pointer controls, and it will be even better then the Wii motion Plus.

One thing I'm concerned about if Skyrim does make it to the Switch is that its sales will be the judge for all future Bethesda titles; for instance, if it only sells moderately well then a port of Fallout 4 is more likely than their next output in the series.

I have a big fear of this as well.  1st party ports are not a problem for me, because Nintendo understands they will sell less, and it is not like Nintendo will stop making games for the Switch if ports don't sell.  However, 3rd parties sometimes want the same high return on their investment for ports as the original release and use poor port sales as an indicator of lower reception to their software on the platform.  This just isn't fair.  You can't expect that, because people have several other places to play the game and perhaps cheaper. 

Offline Agent-X-

• I speak Gibberish
    • View Profile
« Reply #2638 on: November 27, 2016, 12:45:40 PM »
BlackNMild:  Yes I see your points, and agree.  Hopefully Nintendo will implement it's 3rd iteration of motions controls and pointer controls, and it will be even better then the Wii motion Plus.

I have a big fear of this as well.  1st party ports are not a problem for me, because Nintendo understands they will sell less, and it is not like Nintendo will stop making games for the Switch if ports don't sell.  However, 3rd parties sometimes want the same high return on their investment for ports as the original release and use poor port sales as an indicator of lower reception to their software on the platform.  This just isn't fair.  You can't expect that, because people have several other places to play the game and perhaps cheaper.

There has to be some amount of tempered expectations with this Special Edition release. I doubt it's a million seller on Xb1 or PS4 considering most who will buy this likely already own a copy of it for console. Frankly, I'm even shocked a little that they're selling it for more than $30 and the best price I could find for it on Black Friday was $25. It's going to sell to hardcore fans of the game and anyone who has been waiting for the right time to try the game.

I think this game, with ample promotion, will sell reasonably well on Switch -- I'm thinking 400,000 copies. I think people who've already played Skyrim could be interested in playing it on a portable/console. What I think could also really help this game is if Bethesda (or Nintendo) added some additional content in the form of custom items, maybe a few new side quests, and just really added some Nintendo polish.

I'm not saying put Zelda in Skyrim, but put Zelda in Skyrim.

UPDATED to respond to Ian Sane, Soren, etc:
BUT you guys are all absolutely right that if this fails to sell more than 200,000 copies we will likely never see another Bethesda game for Switch. I think the general lukewarm response from a few of you is the bigger cause for concern. As though the anticipated sales of the game tempers your own anticipation for one of the best games of all time? GMAFB. If Nintendo simply upscaled Ocarina of Time and sold it for $60, why do I suspect you'd be chomping at the bit, yet this other all-time great game gets a "Eh. It's been out for 5 years everywhere else." response.

This is the perfect game to test the Nintendo waters. If it flounders, I'd be scared.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 01:02:09 PM by Agent-X- »

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #2639 on: November 27, 2016, 01:24:44 PM »
UPDATED to respond to Ian Sane, Soren, etc: ... If Nintendo simply upscaled Ocarina of Time and sold it for $60, why do I suspect you'd be chomping at the bit, yet this other all-time great game gets a "Eh. It's been out for 5 years everywhere else." response.

You must be new here.

The wasting resources is less of concern to me (though it really does bugs me when someone like Retro is being wasted on it) than how Nintendo will typically use re-releases as a replacement for a new game.  It isn't usually like they just release it willy nilly in the release schedule as a compliment to the new titles.  They slot these things quite clearly in the gaps like it's supposed to "count" as a new release.  Like if I complain that they released nothing in the last three months they can point at some re-release "Yeah we did! See?!"

The best example is the GBA back in 2002.  Metroid Fusion was literally the only new first party release in the ENTIRE YEAR.  The rest of the year they shoved SNES ports in my face.  It isn't like Nintendo has some new 3DS Zelda coming out shortly after this port.  No.  They will likely re-release Majora's Mask first and OoT 3D will plop down right in the middle of a big gap in the release schedule as if this is a big new title instead of a re-release of a game that every Nintendo fan probably owns two copies of.

We never got a new Mario on the GBA and that's because suckers were content to buy the same old Mario games they already played a million times.  When Nintendo was going hog wild with NPC games on the Wii it was during a time where NOTHING ELSE was being released.  Nintendo uses these as a cheap easy way to avoid giving us new content.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #2640 on: November 27, 2016, 04:59:35 PM »
"UPDATED to respond to Ian Sane, Soren, etc:
BUT you guys are all absolutely right that if this fails to sell more than 200,000 copies we will likely never see another Bethesda game for Switch. I think the general lukewarm response from a few of you is the bigger cause for concern. As though the anticipated sales of the game tempers your own anticipation for one of the best games of all time? GMAFB. If Nintendo simply upscaled Ocarina of Time and sold it for $60, why do I suspect you'd be chomping at the bit, yet this other all-time great game gets a "Eh. It's been out for 5 years everywhere else." response."

This isn't the same comparison.  Ocarina of Time is a game that is several years old and only had one portable upgrade, that didn't add much to the game for the 3DS.  You basically only had 2 systems to play the game on, and it was still exclusive to Nintendo systems.

When Skyrim for the Nintendo Switch comes out, players will have 3 current generation consoles to play the game on, and 2 of those current generation consoles will have the game for cheaper, because it is an older game.  Yes it is a great game, but you just said the new version is only selling to fans, so the question is...will there be 400,000 fans of the game, that will buy a Switch and Skyrim?  Probably gamers that don't have another console?  Probably not.  Unless there is new content...even then the content has to be compelling adding Link to Skyrim as a skin is not compelling. 

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #2641 on: November 27, 2016, 08:52:43 PM »
The biggest problem with Skyrim is it is basically the same issue as Mass Effect. It's a game that's been out for a while that Nintendo fans are not familiar with, that might be seeing diminishing returns from people who already own it on other consoles. If it doesn't sell well, then that actually doesn't mean ****, but Bathesda like EA may not realize this. Sales on Nintendo systems are often misread.

Nintendo's audience is a fluctuating group like any console owner. If this was Skyrim than who is going to buy it. If this was a new Elder Scrolls game and it doesn't sell than that's Nintendo's audience fault.

With Mass Effect 3. I bought it from Target for $8 after the game flopped on Wii U. Ultimately, I didn't even like the game. Perhaps if I had played Mass Effect 1 and 2 it would make sense to me?
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #2642 on: November 27, 2016, 11:22:39 PM »
I think the general lukewarm response from a few of you is the bigger cause for concern. As though the anticipated sales of the game tempers your own anticipation for one of the best games of all time? GMAFB.

I really don't care for Elder Scrolls games so that might be the reason for my particular tepid response. I like more games for the Switch though, so it's a positive.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2643 on: November 28, 2016, 03:16:32 PM »
Who said Skyrim was one of the greatest games of all time? WHO SAID IT?
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #2644 on: November 28, 2016, 05:40:13 PM »
Who said Skyrim was one of the greatest games of all time? WHO SAID IT?

IGN?  ??? Bethseda?  :-\  You?  ;)
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2645 on: November 28, 2016, 08:10:56 PM »
http://bindingofisaac.com/post/153791362179/tyrone-not-again :

Expect Afterbirth+ on PlayStation 4, Xbox One and one more console. Sorry no PS Vita or Wii U versions. Date? Spring 2017–we’re already working on the console versions.

Afterbirth+ is second content update over Binding of Isaac: Rebirth.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline rygar

• NWR's #1 soccer fan!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2646 on: November 29, 2016, 12:36:26 PM »
I think the general lukewarm response from a few of you is the bigger cause for concern. As though the anticipated sales of the game tempers your own anticipation for one of the best games of all time? GMAFB.

I really don't care for Elder Scrolls games so that might be the reason for my particular tepid response. I like more games for the Switch though, so it's a positive.

I'm sorry to read that. Morrowind is my favorite video game and one of my favorite pieces of media overall. For me it provided the best single player table-top role playing experience I've found (I haven't played any WRPGs since Oblivion). There was so much flexibility in character creation, and the four regions and expansion areas so aesthetically distinct and well developed, that it gave you the narrative tools to create your own tabletop like stories.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #2647 on: November 29, 2016, 02:41:00 PM »
If Nintendo simply upscaled Ocarina of Time and sold it for $60, why do I suspect you'd be chomping at the bit, yet this other all-time great game gets a "Eh. It's been out for 5 years everywhere else." response.

Also, just to add my 2 cents that this is not a good argument, in a way Nintendo has done this with Wind Waker and Twilight Princess by upscaling them for the Wii U with maybe a few tweaks but no major overhaul or redesign of the game. I was not chomping at the bit for them. Despite Wind Waker being an all-time favorite game of mine, I only just picked up the Wii U version this past weekend because it was free. And even then, I'd have taken a different game I'd never played before over it if that possibility had existed. I have no desire to play the game anytime soon because I've played it so much already.

As for Ocarina of Time, I remember when Twilight Princess was finally released, the common criticism levied at the game as people beat it was its similarity to Ocarina of Time in many ways. Twilight Princess is almost a remake/remastering of Ocarina of Time and now that game has been put into HD. I played Ocarina of Time on the GameCube with the special Ocarina of Time/Master Quest disc that Nintendo released. I've got a second GameCube copy on the Zelda Collectors Disc. I've never bought the game on the Wii or Wii U Virtual Console but I did pick up the 3DS version since I got a good bargain on it and playing it in 3D was appealing enough to purchase it again. However, I have yet to still open its packaging and play it. If Nintendo were to announce an upscaled $60.00 version for Switch, I would positively not buy it. It's a fine game but it's been around so long and available on many consoles for people to play that I don't see it being a major draw for the vast majority of gamers. Heck, I can't think of anyone here ever posting that they wished Nintendo would re-release of OoT in HD at any time. It's like Rayman 2. Who here want's an upscaled version of the game? It's been around so long and available on many consoles that a $60 upscaled version isn't suddenly going to revitalize sales and demand for more copies of that game.

So, yes, I think the tepid response by users is the feeling of the majority of gamers by the announcement of Skyrim on Switch. It's great to see a major 3rd Party game like that on a Nintendo system. No one is against that. But I think the time where releasing Skyrim on a Nintendo console could have an impact has come and gone. At this point, a new Elder Scrolls game releasing on a Nintendo system alongside the competition would be a far bigger cause for excitement and positivity and be a true test of whether a 3rd Party game like that could sell on Nintendo hardware. Unfortunately, right now, releasing Skyrim just feels like it is going to be the same failed pattern of 3rd parties to release an old game that has already tapped into the majority of its market sales and will thus sell a small modest amount because of that on the new Nintendo hardware leading to the claim of 3rd party games being unable to sell on Nintendo hardware.

Has this tactic of selling 3 - 5 year old games on a new Nintendo system at full price while the competition has them available at 50% or less ever been successful for any 3rd Party? And yet, they keep doing it. The only one that may have been successful was Batman: Arkham City and I only say that because Batman: Arkham Origins was later released on the Wii U so I'm guessing sales were enough that they considered it was worth it to release that game also. Compare that to Rayman Legends. It was held back so that it could be released on the Wii U, PS3, and Xbox 360 at the same time and yet, from what I recall hearing, it sold the best on Wii U showing that when a 3rd Party does release a brand new game on a Nintendo console alongside the competition, it can still sell unlike releasing the third game of a trilogy in which the first two games are available only on other systems and you release a package with all 3 games on it at the same time on those other systems while trying to sell the 3rd game only to the market that hasn't had any of them before. Why not sell the complete trilogy also on the system/market that has never had any of the games on it before?  The Mass Effect 3 release was one of the all-time boneheaded release choices by a 3rd Party absolutely designed to fail like it did.

Anyways, I've gone on about this long enough. It wasn't my intention to turn this into a long rant as to why Billy and the Clonosaurus is such a bad idea but once one gets started on this subject, it is hard to stop. Thank you! Come again.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2648 on: November 29, 2016, 04:15:39 PM »
I plan on buying almost all first party Wii U ports but definitely not for $60. That can get right the **** out of my face.

Bethesda hasn't had a strong (any?) presence on Nintendo platforms. It should use Skyrim as its Trojan Horse into Nintendo fans' homes. I think the magic number is $30. The price of entry should be lower to encourage people to bite. I would even try Skyrim at $30. Selling lower at launch (window), giving people a taste of Bethesda content makes it easier to justify a brand new $60 game in the future. We already know how the alternative will shake out. The goodwill of selling a six year old game at fair perceived value should go a long way. If it doesn't, well, that supports if not at least partially validates the notion that third party games, particularly Western third party games, generally do not sell well on Nintendo platforms.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #2649 on: November 29, 2016, 04:52:49 PM »
I think I want to buy SKyrim:it must have been a big deal for a reason, I enjoyed what little I played of fallout 4, I never played the original, action rpg fantasy appeals to me(if i like zelda then I might like this).

Honestly, I'm probably the perfect audience for this.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post