Author Topic: SNES Classic thread  (Read 35158 times)

Online Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Re: SNES Classic thread
« Reply #100 on: September 30, 2017, 02:57:18 PM »
Wooo-eee. Just checked Craigslist. There are about 250 ads of people trying to scalp the SNES Classic. Yowza. That said, I think the glut on the market of people trying to make a quick buck selling one is keeping the scalping price down. Yeah some people want $300 or more but most seem to be sticking around the $200 mark which isn't bad per se (it's under $10 a game) but I have a feeling that if people wait it out, a lot of these consoles could be returned within a month and a half if no one is buying them (or the scalping prices may go lower. I've seen a couple at $150 which I might have considered if I hadn't got one. Otherwise, after 45 days, people can't return the item to the store for their money back. (At least, not with Toys R Us according to their receipt) With Nintendo promising not to cease manufacturing right away on this and more stock coming, the scalping bubble may burst early on this one and maybe scare off people from trying to do this again in the future.

Frankly, from this thread, it does seem like a lot of people are getting their hands on a console with a lot less fuss (sorry Stratos and Fatty) than the NES Mini so the target market may be getting pretty saturated already. It definitely seems like Nintendo is improving in getting out product so good job at the moment. Guess we'll see how it all plays out.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 30, 2017, 03:03:25 PM »
Thank god for the long HDMI cable that came with my Xbone. With it, I was able to extend the cables on my SNES classic far enough that I can play it while lying down in bed.  :D

Dipped into a handful of games last night after work, and I'm kind of surprised at how much I got into Super Castlevania IV. It's a game I've purchased on both Virtual Consoles & I've never felt the drive to get beyond the 2nd or 3rd stage. On the SNES Classic with a proper SNES controller, though, I got all the way to the treasure room stage before wanting to get to other things. The power of the right controller, I suppose.

Also, is it just me or does the music in these games sound better on the SNES C than they did on the Wii or Wii U VCs?

I REALLY wish you didn't have to press the reset button to switch games or change options, because that gets really annoying.

Next, I played some Star Fox, and IMO that game holds up very well from a gameplay standpoint & some stages (I.e. the Space Armada) are still amazing. The low framerate's unfortunate, but I kind of enjoy the abstract look of the game and there's still a great sense of speed to the game I haven't really felt from the later Star Fox games. Plus, that soundtrack is still amazing & iconic.

Star Fox 2, though? Eh...I think Miyamoto was right to shelve that one, as it kind of sucks. Yeah, the changes to the gameplay are theoretically interesting, but they significantly slow the game to a crawl & there isn't anything in the game particularly exciting or memorable. The game REALLY needed some on-rails gameplay, and the final boss is just lame.

Looking forward to finally playing Terranigma & Lufia 2 on this thing once the modders are done with it
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 30, 2017, 06:33:08 PM »
Thank god for the long HDMI cable that came with my Xbone. With it, I was able to extend the cables on my SNES classic far enough that I can play it while lying down in bed.  :D

I REALLY wish you didn't have to press the reset button to switch games or change options, because that gets really annoying.
I pre-ordered a couple 8bitdo controllers on Amazon yesterday (one SNES colored, the other SFC). They’re $25 each for the controller and Bluetooth receiver though they use a 2.4 GHz wireless connection so apparently, they’ll only work on the SNES Classic which isn’t a problem for me since I’m not going to use them for anything else. I’m mainly buying them for wireless, but they support the Down+Select homescreen shortcut.

The regular 8bitdo SNES/SFC controllers for iOS, Android, and PC/Mac such as this one work as well, but they’re $35 and the receiver is $18. You can use it with more things, but the cost of one controller and receiver is more than the cost of a single SNES Classic exclusive one.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 30, 2017, 07:59:34 PM »
Install hakchi when it's updates for SNES, not to add more games, but just to add reset by pressing Down + Select.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 30, 2017, 08:42:38 PM »
Install hakchi when it's updates for SNES, not to add more games, but just to add reset by pressing Down + Select.

That alone is a worthy enough reason to use hakchi when they update it to support SNES classic.  it's a game changer.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: September 30, 2017, 08:44:45 PM »
Also, is it just me or does the music in these games sound better on the SNES C than they did on the Wii or Wii U VCs?

Besides the two games I encountered sound issues with (Super Mario World, Yoshi's Island), I DO recall a few games sounding oddly more robust than I recall on the virtual consoles.  Namely, F-Zero and Legend of Zelda, where I was hearing certain notes I didn't hear on virtual console, and the sound is just more full, the basslines deeper, etc.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 01, 2017, 03:33:26 PM »
I'll bet the VC versions had some compression going on to minimize space taken up. Today space is cheap and they probably had them all uncompressed. Also remember VC games had that funky encryption going on too.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 01, 2017, 05:33:39 PM »
I haven't had a chance to play mine yet - can you plug a Wii Classic Controller in and use the home button to access the main menu as you could the NES Classic?
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 01, 2017, 09:06:58 PM »
Thats what people are reporting online. Pity we didn't get an option for going back to home on the standard controller.
My Game Collection

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 01, 2017, 10:19:39 PM »
I haven't had a chance to play mine yet - can you plug a Wii Classic Controller in and use the home button to access the main menu as you could the NES Classic?

Yes. I have been using the Classic Controller Pro with an extension cable. It works perfectly.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 02, 2017, 03:53:52 PM »
Funnily enough, based on how many people commented on the SNES Classic system itself being very tiny, it actually ended up being larger than what I was expecting!

I feel like the main thing which ages the two Star Fox games is the low framerate, which can make them difficult to play at times. The gameplay itself is solid, and the graphics could be passed off as having an abstract style that somehow works. Having no nostalgia for Star Fox, I like 2 better than 1, but they're certainly different experiences and fun in their own way.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 02, 2017, 06:01:51 PM »
Mine has shipped!  So now it's up to Canada Post.  Please, please, please, please, PLEASE do not leave this high demand collectable item on my front step in clear view of potential thieves if no one is home when you arrive.

Online Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 02, 2017, 06:08:48 PM »
Hmmmm. Time to find out where Ian Sane lives, I suppose.

Offline lolmonade

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 03, 2017, 08:53:23 AM »
Feel like I'm taking crazy pills here.  No one else is hearing the weird music glitch/hiccup in Super Mario World and Yoshi's Story?

Online Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 03, 2017, 01:42:09 PM »
So, I says to him, you see, I says, Hey!, I says and....

Feel like I'm taking crazy pills here.  No one else is hearing the weird music glitch/hiccup in Super Mario World and Yoshi's Story?

Did you hear sumthin'? No? Could sworn I thought I heard a voice or sumthin'.

So where was I? Oh yeah! So, he says to me, get this, he says, Hey!, he says. Yeah! That what he says. So, then, I says to him,

[End Scene]

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 03, 2017, 09:36:54 PM »
I havent played Mario World or Yoshi's Island on it yet

Offline Wanderlei

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 04, 2017, 07:44:08 AM »
Not heard anything wrong playing Yoshi' Island.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 04, 2017, 04:39:05 PM »
Hmmmm. Time to find out where Ian Sane lives, I suppose.

Did you figure it out and successfully make the steal...?

Online Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 04, 2017, 05:48:59 PM »
Well, I don't know how much I can say without legally getting into trouble or doxing a person but let's just say that Ian Sane has left a nice trail of breadcrumbs on the internet to be able to track him down. My hope is that he'll post on here when Canada Post has been by his place to save me the time from having to wait around his home for them to show up all day but he seems to have clammed up a bit after I tipped my hand in regards to my intentions of "safeguarding" his package for him.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 04, 2017, 05:56:44 PM »
Well, I don't know how much I can say without legally getting into trouble or doxing a person but let's just say that Ian Sane has left a nice trail of breadcrumbs on the internet to be able to track him down. My hope is that he'll post on here when Canada Post has been by his place to save me the time from having to wait around his home for them to show up all day but he seems to have clammed up a bit after I tipped my hand in regards to my intentions of "safeguarding" his package for him.

Why it's, uh, there right now.  Yep, it's a nice SNES Classic waiting on my doorstep and I'm certainly not waiting in the bushes with a baseball bat.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 11:50:58 AM by Ian Sane »

Online Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: October 04, 2017, 06:02:22 PM »
Woo-hoo! Well, let me make sure no one takes that from you by going to your place right now to "secure" it. I don't remember any bushes by your place when I drove by it last night but I guess we don't have a "Post Your Latest Landscaping Purchase" thread so you wouldn't have had anywhere to post that information since I last checked in on things so I see no reason to be suspicious about that. In fact, since it is such a nice day, I think I'm going to leave my security football helmet at home today and just enjoy the sun's rays on my head.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 04, 2017, 09:07:11 PM »
I'm certainly not me waiting in the bushes with a baseball bat.

Best quote of the day right there. Really made my evening.
My Game Collection

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 04, 2017, 09:26:17 PM »

Why it's, uh, there right now.  Yep, it's a nice SNES Classic waiting on my doorstep and I'm certainly not me waiting in the bushes with a baseball bat.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #123 on: October 04, 2017, 09:38:33 PM »
I think we can lock the thread now. It's not getting any better than this!
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Online Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 04, 2017, 11:49:00 PM »
I think we can lock the thread now. It's not getting any better than this!

Oh, really?

Because look what I just got!