Author Topic: Metroid Prime 3: Very Late Review  (Read 9941 times)

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
Metroid Prime 3: Very Late Review
« on: October 05, 2007, 11:38:21 AM »
The Metroid series was the brainchild of the late Gunpei Yokoi.  Mostly known for the GameBoy and the disastrous VirtualBoy, he bares the distinction of being the only designer of one of Nintendo’s “big 3” who isn’t Shigeru Miyamoto.  Even so, Mr. Yokoi owed a lot to Miyamoto’s previous designs.  The first three Metroid games played a bit like Zelda 2, in space, with more platforming.  One thing the Metroid series doesn’t owe to Zelda is the story.  Unlike the early Zelda games, “kill the evil guy and save the kingdom,” Metroid always had a more overarching story.

It seems appropriate that when the Nintendo handed over the Metroid reigns to Retro Studios they made a game not unlike Zelda: OoT.  Obviously, there were more guns and platforming, and the games were in space.  Both series had inventive puzzles that require the use of new tools, hidden treasures, and diverse environments.  Both OoT and Metroid Prime were met with trepidation, and yet both managed the move to 3D with success.  Metroid Prime put Retro Studios on the map, and may have put much of Nintendo’s other teams on notice.

In the interest of full disclosure I should point out that I never completed Metroid Prime or Echoes.  In both games I got stuck looking for some tool, and put it down in frustration.  Whenever I would try to go back I would have long since forgotten where I was.  The entire process just made me not want to play those games anymore.  So, the fact I beat Metroid Prime 3: Corruption should say something right away: it is really good.  Corruption is astoundingly good.  Corruption is better, in every regard, than Prime or Echoes.

The biggest change in Corruption is, appropriately for the Wii, the controls.  The game has you aim with the pointer and control the world with motion controls.  Unlike previous Wii FPS games, this feels much more natural.  In the center of the screen there is an invisible box, as long as you stay in that box you do not begin to scroll.  However, as you move out of that box you begin to turn and the further you get from it the faster you turn.  This made the whole thing feel much less disorienting than say Red Steel.  The Metroid series isn’t known for wave after wave of firefights, but when I needed it this system always gave me the dexterity to feel as if I were the universe’s greatest bounty hunter.  

Other control changes include integration of the motion controls to flip switches, break hatches, rip the shields off your enemies, grapple, and a handful of other interesting uses.  These generally work, but some feel a bit tacked on.  Even so, there was always something a bit satisfying in whipping the nunchuck forward and then yanking it back, in order to rip the shield from a foe.  Things like trying to press buttons, using the pointer, are sometimes less satisfying.  When in Samus’ ship, yes you get to actually use her ship this time, it felt like indicating the button I wanted was sometimes imprecise.

The second largest change was in the gameflow.  Gone is the painfully long, and confusing, backtracking of Prime and Echoes.  It was backtracking that killed those games for me, but in Corruption it isn’t an issue.  In fact, the first set of objectives are very linear.  Samus in on the bridge of a Federation ship that falls under attack, and she has to work her way through narrow corridors that offer no real way to get lost.  Not only does this give the game an opportunity for exposition, but it gives the player a chance to get familiar with the controls.  The game does open up quite a bit, but it never feels so disorienting as to become frustrating.  

There isn’t any need to worry; there are still plenty of puzzles that will leave you scratching your head.  There are still things you just don’t know how to use; things that make you say “well I guess I’ll have to come back with the right equipment.”  And yes, there are still plenty of inventive puzzles and hidden treasures lying about.  The game still rewards backtracking, but it is much less mandatory.  I found myself more willing to backtrack because even when it was required they do offer some hint in the form of a map indicator and small cutscene and communication from your friendly neighborhood giant brain.

The graphics aren’t “next-gen” in the conventional terms, but they are still quite beautiful.  The worlds are rendered in creative details that set not only each world apart, but each chamber.  The creatures are all distinct, and inspire their own appropriate amount of dread on sight.  Despite not looking “next-gen” there are still notable additions to the graphics.  With the addition of new characters, in the form of fellow hunters, Retro got to try their hand at another round of character design.  Each of the hunters looks distinct and is animated with a flair all their own.  The game runs in 16:9, which is nice, and 480p.

The story received a big upgrade over Prime and Echoes.  The addition of other hunters, and the more active role played by the Federation, gave more opportunities for Samus to interact with others.  The story feels more alive, with a heavier influence of scripted events, and a more substantial back story than any previous Prime game.  Visor scans give the player the chance to see historical entries of each planet’s native species, as well as the motivation of every faction that has become embroiled in the current war between the Federation and the Space Pirates.

This game is clearly the best game in the Prime series.  As a huge fan of Super Metroid I was always worried about the FPS move in Prime.  The new control scheme finally made me fully happy with the move to 3D.  The better use of backtracking and puzzles kept me hypnotized, giving me no reason to stop playing.  The inventive worlds made me stop and gaze in wonder; I wanted to scan everything.  The story was so well crafted that I wanted to know what was next, and it kept me up way past bed time.  At the moment, this is the definitive game for the Wii.

Graphics: 8.5

The graphics aren’t “next-gen” and I’m still not sure they’re all you can get from the Wii.  However, the inventive design more than makes up for it.  If you don’t find yourself just looking around at all the scenery and random creatures then you have no soul.  Many times just the architecture, the damaged terrain, or the debris from some random wreckage tells their own story.

Sound: 9.5

The music is still very moody and atmospheric.  From the menu theme to the credits nothing is left to be desired here.  The ambient sounds provide not only atmosphere, but often kept me wondering where the next attack was going to come from.  It was all intertwined so well with the world, the gameplay, and the story.

Control: 10

This is the biggest improvement in console FPS games ever.  I am not being overly dramatic; this game is a “revolution.”  No console FPS has ever played so smoothly, or given me such simple pleasure in ease of execution.  Analog sticks always felt disconnected from the action.  The point and shoot mentality behind Wii design always offered the promise of fantastic FPS play, but until now it was still only promise.  Red Steel made me feel like I would have almost preferred it be controlled conventionally.  Corruption, however, has made it impossible for me to ever enjoy a traditional console FPS the same way.  Beyond just the shooting, much of he gesture controls are executed in such a way as to further the feeling of BEING Samus.  The Wii remote isn’t just for mini-games anymore.

Gameplay: 9.5

What can I say?  The game is a blast.  The backtracking is much better.  The puzzles are inventive and solving them is its own reward.  It isn’t “easy” but it’s never too hard.  It’s not frustrating; its fun.  The plot moves much more smoothly than any Prime game before it.  The game is just awesome to play.

Lastability: 9.0

I finished the game in 14 hours.  If I had spent time looking for everything it could have gone easily into the 20s.  It may not seem long, but there isn’t a lot of filler time from Prime and Echoes.  It is pure, great, gameplay.  As good as it is complaining about its length would be petty, and it never overstays its welcome with needless backtracking.

Final Score: 9.5

This game is amazing.  It single-handedly may have redefined the FPS genre on consoles.  For now, it will be the yardstick against which all games on the Wii will be judged.  The story, the controls, the characters, the art design, all of it is brilliant.  This game is a masterpiece, and would be a 10 if not for the odd annoyance (doors not opening, some irritating motion controls).  There are two things I know.  One, Retro needs to get to work on their next project fast.  Two, Nintendo should have them put on a clinic in Wii design.  With this game Retro may have established themselves as Nintendo’s best design team.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
RE: Metroid Prime 3: Very Late Review
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2007, 03:11:24 PM »
lol, late. Still waiting for the game in countries that aren't America.

Offline Crimm

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
RE:Metroid Prime 3: Very Late Review
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2007, 03:28:35 PM »
Oh Nintendo, you and your region timed releases.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Online Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2007, 11:32:45 AM »
I see what you did there. Posting your application review. I think I will join you. Might as well make the review good for something.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Crimm

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2007, 11:36:07 AM »
I think the Reader Reviews could be a really good section of our lovely forum.  I improved my writing by posting on message boards, and had fun doing it.

But yeah, that's my application review.  I intend to write a fan review for every major title I play during my time as Community Hack-Job
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Online Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2007, 12:04:51 PM »
I agree with you. I think the Reader Review section is one that could use some work and ideas. I actually have a couple in that regard. I keep asking Windyman if he wants my ideas but he never wants to get back to me. So let me share some with you. It might make you look really good at the next staff meeting.

One idea I thought might be of benefit is to do a retro-review. Now, initially, I would limit this only to Gamecube games, Game Boy Advance games and early DS games. The reason being most other games are getting review or mentioned through the virtual console these days. Now I don't know if the staff or Windy would be interested in posting these retro reviews on the main page but it's just a thought. Anyways, the retro-reviews wouldn't go into the review section of the site, they would come here to the reader review section.

I think these might be of benefit for a few reasons. First, a lot of people don't always get a game the first week comes out. So when they do finally get the game, if they want to post their thoughts, they have to do so by either bumping up an old thread or creating a new one. This way, by having these retro-reviews, those who bought games later now have an opportunity to post their thoughts along with others who are reminiscing about the games. Second, it would help give a more streamlined approach to how people get give their impressions of a game. Rather than bumping threads or creating new ones, they can come here and look up the review and add their thoughts. This would tie into the earlier idea of this part of the forum. Plus, these retro-reviews can reflect more on whether the game has held up to today's standards after its orginal release compared to the Virtual Console reviews which only give recommendations. This may be beneficial for people who are looking to buy an old game and want to know whether it is still worth it or it may remind people about a good game that got a limited release or has been forgotten about. Plus, if someone doesn't like the retro-review, they can always post their own here in this section of the forum.

Another thing that may cause more usage of this forum is if we take a page from the Nsider foums. Can we actually learn something from there? Well, perhaps. The Nsider forums had a section called Sage reviews of which only people certain people could use and post review in. When Nintendo redesigned Nintendo Power, they added a section called community. And in that section, they would pick a sage review and print it in the magazine. But after awhile, they opened it up to any Nsider who posted a high quality review. This may be an idea worth considering. NWR could always do a Reader Review of the Month or (if this forum ends up getting this much traffic) Reader Review of the Week. Often times, I've noticed now that the forum members seem to be complaining more and more about some of the reviews posted on the site. So, this would now give them a chance to make a rebuttal, so to speak, and have another opinion about the game posted since often times they call for a second review. So, this way, they don't have to wait for another staff member to post another review and hope their opinion matches theirs. So, this might also provide more incentive to use this part of the forum.

I have one last idea I thought of doing but I'll post that later before this post becomes too long.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline animecyberrat

• Official NWR Lindsay Lohan Fan
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Metroid Prime 3: Very Late Review
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 07:21:00 PM »
I honestly have never finished a single Metroid ever, but I keep playing them. 3 is also one of my favorites right now and it does have alot to do with the controls.

"You can call me THE RAT, thank you very much"

Offline SpeedRaptor

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2008, 10:28:23 AM »
Nice review, though I disagree on your score for the graphics. The textures and such wasn't Gears of War, but the environmental design and obsessive attention to detail was astounding.
Why so serious? Let's put a smile on that face!
http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa244/NINTENDO-GAMER/moon-1.jpg

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2008, 11:53:04 PM »
Agreed the graphics are outstanding, the game looks heaps better than the likes of Resistance.

Good idea Khush, another pro for that is it would lead to more Reader Reviews.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2008, 01:59:09 PM »
Did I ever comment on another Metroid Prime 3 review?  Eh, whatever, I'll say it again...This awesome game is STILL in my top ten favorite games ever... ='D
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2008, 03:14:25 PM »
the game looks heaps better than the likes of Resistance.

Lindy would be ASHAMED of you.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2008, 03:26:25 PM »
Meh. The equipment felt too uninteresting in the game, especially the lack of beams that let you 1-2 shot enemies (like the plasma beam in the other Metroid games, these beams felt just like keys, the damage increases were hardly felt) and the uninteresting containers (since the energy tanks doubled as ammo for your super weapon the missile and ship missile containers felt doubly useless). The environments also didn't feel as varied but maybe that's because I spent (or feel like I did) the most time on the cloud city thing compared to the other locations.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2008, 04:35:18 PM »
(like the plasma beam in the other Metroid games, these beams felt just like keys, the damage increases were hardly felt)

Eh, the thing is you start fighting tougher enemies around the same time you get stronger weapons...If you went back to, say, Bryyo with the Nova Beam, you'd notice the difference...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2008, 05:09:24 PM »
There's an intense difference on Veteran the first time, considering enemies take 2.5X the amount of damage as Normal.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2008, 04:57:34 AM »
Even going back doesn't make the beams THAT strong, you still have to rapid-fire them at anything larger. I already hated the number of shots needed at normal, playing veteran sounds downright painful then. If they need a way to make the missiles remain useful throughout the game why not just remove the LOOOOOONG reload they have in Prime games and let us rapid-fire them? Not like we don't have enough missiles with all those containers. Can almost just use the charge beam with that reload time... Seriously, how are you supposed to burn through more than maybe 80 missiles in reasonable time?

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2008, 10:25:37 AM »
I wouldn't.  I just typically begin an attack with a charge beam, followed by a burst of rapid fire, then follow up with a missile, followed by more rapid fire.  My fun part is dodging everything during the offense.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2008, 03:51:02 PM »
Yeah but it makes finding all those 255 missiles pointless. After I had ~100 or so I just considered the containers useless and was annoyed when all I got out of a find was a missile or (worse) ship missile container. The energy containers were the only ones I liked finding (health AND hyper mode ammo!). In Prime you at least had the beam combos and slamming supers into things would quickly eat through your ammo.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2008, 12:52:12 AM »
Just like Zelda heart pieces.  You can easily get by without getting all of them (especially with Twilight Princess's stupid reduntant 5-piece system with a bunch of heart pieces being hidden in dungeons making for lame placement and a poor excuse to add real puzzles to hide these extra pieces).

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2008, 03:28:23 AM »
Well, health is at least something you're likely to use involuntarily, ammo for weapons doesn't get used until you choose to use it and if the weapon blocks better ones (can't shoot while reloading after a missile I think?) the chance of it getting used is... slim. Yeah, yeah, I know, I suck for dying/using loads of potions at the final bosses in TP and WW but I still had more use for health than missiles.