Poll

Which N64 game should we play together and discuss on Radio Free Nintendo?

Yoshi's Story
29 (30.9%)
Banjo-Tooie
12 (12.8%)
Wave Race 64
9 (9.6%)
Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Caliber
22 (23.4%)
Perfect Dark
22 (23.4%)

Total Members Voted: 94

Voting closed: September 30, 2010, 11:31:15 AM

Author Topic: Poll for RetroActive #14: N64 Edition  (Read 26950 times)

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
Re: Poll for RetroActive #14: N64 Edition
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2010, 12:01:26 AM »
It is going to be a close call between Perfect Dark and Yoshi's Story. I am confident that Perfect Dark is going to win the vote. Most of the previous retroactive games were developed by Nintendo, so I think that it is prudent to include a game developed by Rare for the retroactive. This is especially true when that developer helped define the N64 along side Nintendo.

RFN, is it too late to include Conker?
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline gojira

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2010, 12:13:37 AM »
I'm voting for Ogre Battle.  I bought the game years ago, but never got into it.  I'd be interested in checking it out again and seeing if I can understand the battle system.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2010, 05:34:45 PM »
Yeah, it's too late for Conker. I'll consider it for a future poll, though.

Mop, good info on the censorship. The remake's online multiplayer would not longer function because Microsoft has disabled the original Xbox Live service in order to upgrade the 360 version. It's too bad they dumped the N64 multiplayer features -- "Beach" is an all-time favorite, even if you're only playing against the computer.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2010, 06:23:06 PM »
I'm pulling for Perfect Dark on this one.  It seems like we've had a lot of RPGs and platformers, so this would be a nice change.  I'm probably one of the few N64 owners who loved this game more than Goldeneye.  Unfortunately, back when I played it, I had the 3rd party RAM expansion, which was a big mistake.  The game locked up on me all the time, especially on the outdoor level where Joanna is being chased by some sort of floating droid. 
Eh, the game, particularly multiplayer, was barely playable even with the extra RAM.  It was just trying to do too much for what the system was capable of, a problem that was magnified by the fact that it was an FPS.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2010, 07:40:41 PM »
I vote for Superman 64.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline greybrick

• Up the Irons!
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2010, 07:45:23 PM »
Voted for Ogre Battle because I'm playing this one anyways :)
Bless you, my child.
Please turn the power OFF.

And Jonny, you don't ride the giant Cheep-Cheep

Offline adadad

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2010, 10:44:48 PM »
Honestly, voting for Ogre Battle 64 immediately after we just did Mother 3 is a terrible idea. The game is great and I'd recommend it to any fan of SRPGs, but I'm over 25 hours in and the story certainly does not look to be wrapping itself up anytime soon. As with most SRPGs it is one hell of a lengthy game, and compared to others I've played like Fire Emblem and Shining Force, I would say Ogre Battle 64 is significantly more complex, at least when it comes to preparing for a battle. Because there's so much to prepare and doing so can take a significant amount of time, the game feels very slow, slower than your average SRPG, and since story scenes do not necessarily occur at the end of every battle, attempting to play this game with a deadline, even over several weeks, would be a total slog.

My vote goes to Perfect Dark, and one of the things I appreciate most about Goldeneye and Perfect Dark is the way they are designed to be both instantly accessible for quick, arcadey multiplayer sessions, whilst the single player is actually a fair length and with the difficulty levels can be played in depth with a lot of replay value. It seems to me like there'd be a great deal to discuss in an interesting way as there are so many ways of experiencing the game, within both multiplayer and singleplayer modes. In contrast a discussion of Ogre Battle could very easily become bogged down in discussions concerning classes, unit formations etc., which wouldn't make compelling listening for me at any rate.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 10:47:19 PM by adadad »

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2010, 12:41:03 AM »
I wish you could do Goldeneye 007 for n64 since the new one is coming. I know the framerate is AWFUL now, and the single player is fairly boring.

I loved Perfect Dark and wonder how much it holds up and if I ever got a 360 which is likely soon, I would download that game asap

Offline BwrJim!

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2010, 01:32:51 PM »
first, to be annoying, Yoshi's story.   but, then I saw PD on the end and well, lets just say I think that would be good for some energetic relatively positive game fun!

Offline Gameboy Freak

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2010, 02:22:11 PM »
I voted for Banjo-Tooie. It probably will not be picked but hey it never hurts to try.

Offline greybrick

• Up the Irons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2010, 04:50:00 PM »
I voted for Banjo-Tooie. It probably will not be picked but hey it never hurts to try.

Sidebar: You have a great forum name.
Bless you, my child.

Offline xcwarrior

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2010, 09:58:08 PM »
Ogre Battle for sure. Great game. Good luck finding it though, it was tough even when the N64 was the system of the time.
Nintendo ID: XCWarrior
3DS code: 1289-8376-3350. PM me if you want to swap.
Steam and backloggery.com are also: XCWarrior

Offline greybrick

• Up the Irons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2010, 10:07:39 PM »
Ogre Battle for sure. Great game. Good luck finding it though, it was tough even when the N64 was the system of the time.

You could always get it on Virtual Console. I assume that most people that participate in RetroActive own a Wii.
Bless you, my child.

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2010, 10:13:11 PM »
My concern for Perfect Dark is I have no clue how faithful the 360 port is, and to be honest the struggles of the N64 rendering that game are important when discussing it.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2010, 10:14:16 PM »

You could always get it on Virtual Console. I assume that most people that participate in RetroActive own a Wii.

For sure.  The N64 version is the best version of the game possible as well due to the ability to play it using component video instead of the N64's crappy composite video.  It makes a world of difference.

EDIT: The Perfect Dark port is pretty much the N64 game with a cleaner visual sheen, some updated models, and a consistent framerate.  Pretty much all the design problems from the original game are still there.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline LittleIrves

• Title = Ha.
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Kill Screen
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2010, 10:03:22 AM »
I'm playing Yoshi's Island right now, and though I know Story has almost zero to do with that, I'd be interested in playing it in advance of Epic Yarn (and just to see what all the hate was about).  I remember being completely psyched when I first saw the screenshots way back when.  And then?  I let the critics steer me away. 
Would someone recommend downloading the VC version over finding an actual cart?  'Cause I'd love to add the real thing to my N64 collection, but I've heard the Wii cleans up the graphics a tad.... probably a moot point.
Apropos of nothing: Wave Race 64 > Blue Storm
Contributing writer at killscreendaily.com

Offline Retro Deckades

• Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2010, 07:12:41 PM »
Despite some compelling opposing arguments, I voted for Ogre Battle 64.

Democracy.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2010, 07:53:00 PM »
Perfect Dark has a lot of potential for discussion, and is in a genre that isn't represented in these polls very often, unlike platformers and RPGs which are always there.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2010, 09:45:07 PM »
I think some people make too big a deal over Perfect Dark's framerate, to me it didn't seem worse than many other Nintendo 64 games. I guess I just got used to it after playing N64 games for so long. The thing is just to make sure the hi-res option is off, otherwise it will get pretty bad.

I'm probably one of the few N64 owners who loved this game more than Goldeneye.
This sounds like another "different circles" type of thing. Everyone I knew preferred Perfect Dark to Goldeneye, at least, in terms of multiplayer. Now, I think more people have played Goldeneye since it was an earlier N64 game, and Perfect Dark was so late on the scene. Guess what was released only four months after PD? I'm sure that really killed the game's chances of success, among other things.

Offline Jet Pilot

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2010, 11:49:50 PM »
I don't know whether to choose Wave Race or Yoshi's Story.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2010, 12:50:28 AM »
I almost forgot, why isn't Superman 64 on the poll? I nominated it a while back, I'm pretty sure at least one other person backed it. Did you think it was a joke response? With the amount of garbage games released on the Wii, it would be a more relevant discussion than it would seem.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 21, 2010, 01:03:39 PM »
I almost forgot, why isn't Superman 64 on the poll?

Probably because

A)  it's horrible, &
B)  it's not currently available on any current gen system

Yoshi's Story, Wave Race 64 and Ogre Battle 64 are all available on Virtual Console.  Banjo-Tooie and Perfect Dark are available on Xbox Live.  It's just easier to pick games that most people have easy access to.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #47 on: September 21, 2010, 02:08:34 PM »
With over a week left, this RetroActive already has more votes than any previous poll. Always a good sign. I think participation will continue to set new records as we play and discuss the winner.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 21, 2010, 04:47:55 PM »
With over a week left, this RetroActive already has more votes than any previous poll. Always a good sign. I think participation will continue to set new records as we play and discuss the winner.

I attribute this to the sheer popularity of the N64 era games. I bet if the next retroactive was another N64 poll the amount of votes would still increase. Are you going back to Gamecube for the next feature?
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 21, 2010, 05:56:11 PM »
With over a week left, this RetroActive already has more votes than any previous poll.
It's because it is Nintendo 64, that always draws crowds. The next one can only go down from here.