Author Topic: Episode 529: Maslow's Hierarchy of Oasis Needs  (Read 2932 times)

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
Episode 529: Maslow's Hierarchy of Oasis Needs
« on: July 02, 2017, 12:29:36 PM »

This podcast can only achieve self-actualization by murdering thousands of squirrels for their teeth.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/44939/episode-529-maslows-hierarchy-of-oasis-needs

Our Moral Compass has returned; Guillaume is back from his expedition to slay the Loch Ness Monster. Made whole by his return, we let him kick-off New Business by catching us up on his recent 3DS experiences, most notably lost child simulator Rhythm Heaven Megamix and the third-best game with a Space Abraham Lincoln, Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. Jon drives us through the chaos of Rocket League - coming soon to Switch - and we U-Turn into a conversation about the role of cross-play for the game. James taps into his long experience diving into dungeons and building towns with Ever Oasis. All these inspirations are games he loves (Zelda, ActRaiser, Atelier, Recettear, etc.), but the game is too caught up in the micromanagement to ever rise above the sum of its parts. Greg closes out New Business with a look at fist-flinging fighter ARMS. Does ARMS have legs? I'm sorry...

After the break, it's time for Listener Mail. This week we spend way too much time talking about Sushi Striker: Way of the Sushido, and try to suss out the role of the Mini retro consoles in light of Nintendo's still-unexplained Virtual Console strategy on Switch. You can ask us facetious GotY questions and get uncomfortably serious answers by sending us an email.

Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
Re: Episode 529: Maslow's Hierarchy of Oasis Needs
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2017, 08:50:31 PM »
Note to self: propose main site ban on "ARMS has legs".

I remember finding Codename STEAM at EB for five bucks a year after it came out. I had already bought it digitally. At least I was able to run arbitrage and get $15 trading it to Best Buy.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 08:56:59 PM by Shaymin »
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 07:03:27 PM »
I got Codename Steam recently for $4. I havent started playing it yet, but I remember thinking the demo was ok.

Before Megamix, the only Rhythm Heaven I had played was the DS game. Megamix felt almost all new to me and I loved it. I do plan on buying the Wii game at some point.

With Rocket League on PS4, didnt that originally have cross play with PC? Is that still a thing or was it taken out?

I loved what I played of the Ever Oasis demo. I know Neal and Perry really liked the game too, so its interesting that James didnt. I will be buying the game this week.

When I first saw the Sushi Striker trailer, I had no idea what was going on. Then I watched the Treehouse demonstration and it made a bit more sense. I think it looks pretty fun and there is a good chance I will buy it.

Offline Chiramii

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
    • Neogaf
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2017, 10:58:00 PM »
With Rocket League, Xbox and PS4 can play with PC, but not with each other. Switch will be able to play with both Xbox and PC, but not PS4. Also, the powerslide has been in the game since day 1. :)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 06:17:59 AM by Chiramii »
Lovin' my Pikachu 3DS XL

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2017, 11:59:30 AM »
With Rocket League, Xbox and PS4 can play with PC, but not with each other. Switch will be able to play with both Xbox and PC, but not PS4. Also, the powerslide has been in the game since day 1. :)

Yep, Lindemann just needs to get gud.

Offline Chiramii

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
    • Neogaf
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2017, 07:56:04 AM »
You heard him, Jon. Time to...

Lovin' my Pikachu 3DS XL

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2017, 09:24:02 AM »
Besides the core gameplay of rocket league being fantastic, the best thing about that game is that they've added so many different game modes and cosmetics ( which are varied enough that you never feel the need to buy loot crates) that the game at full price is even more worth every penny.

They can sell loot crate keys all they want if they continue to support the game the way they have so far.  They're also self-aware enough to know that cross platform play is integral to the longevity of their game, especially once there's talk of next gen consoles. 

I went ahead and paid for a PC version after I got the PS+ free version when it came out.  Even bought a few cosmetic DLC when it was on sale, which is something I almost never do.  I know very few people who didn't enjoy playing this game.

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2017, 03:24:43 AM »
The feeling of being able to read your opponents that James described during the ARMs discussion is Yomi

The third eye. the greatest show of skill in a competitive video game, put head-to-head in a fighting game.

Yomi is a strange creature... in a game far too simple or without the pressure to force decisions, it is a sedate drug. it's seduction is much that of a child's first sip of Mike's hard lemonade that they stole from their parents' secret fridge in the garage where they keep the liquor.

Let me posit some metaphorical ideas to you, James Jones.

Imagine that feeling, of knowing what your opponent is going to do... but imagine in 5 or 6 levels deep. your opponent and you understand what you should do on the base level. your opponent knows what you should do to beat their strategy, but are ready to spring a trap on you when you apply the appropriate strategy... but you KNOW they are going to punish you for that, and you try something unexpected, but they've also are mentally on that level and maybe are ready to try something banannas too to try and stuff your attempts to avoid the forseen trap.

Now imagine that happening every few seconds, with your fingers going nuts, hammering the buttons in a rhytmic, practiced manner honed in the same sort of social enclosures that would make a samurai swing his sword in practice several times a day, knowing tomorrow might be his last.

THAT.

That is the intoxicating super heroin opioid numbing death that a Melee player feels. That is why Leffin refused to compete unless he had a GCN controller with the defect in the analogue stick that allowed him to to do quick turns at an effective level, because that's a tool important enough in his arsenal where he would need to reach deep down into that 5th-6th-7th tier of Yomi and pull out of his back of tricks to win a stock, to get a little hit of that amazing drug that is...

Smash Yomi.