Author Topic: Episode 495: Introducing CladPrincess7  (Read 3158 times)

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
Episode 495: Introducing CladPrincess7
« on: October 09, 2016, 11:20:00 AM »

An alias is the most liberating thing. It frees you from your old sins, disassociates you from new ones, and lets you register for a Maestro card.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/43531/episode-495-introducing-cladprincess7

Jon is still being interrogated at a CIA Black Site, so this week we made the dubious decision to invite Syrenne McNulty back onto the show, for this, the last episode before next week's telethon. She leads New Business with a look at Paper Mario: Color Splash for Wii U. I know it LOOKS a lot like Sticker Star. It even plays a lot like Sticker Star. But this is not Sticker Star. She then turns her attention to Persona 5, which she places in contention for her favorite game of all time. The conversation stays focused on mechanics, so no story spoilers within. Gui has a book report on the narrative tour de force that is Shadow Complex Remastered, and we get our show redacted by the NSA. He has a look at SEGA Mega Drive & Genesis Classics, emulated and moddable 16-bit Sega games, now on Steam. Lastly, he talks about his time with the ReCore demo and Syrenne advises against proceeding beyond there. James discusses the true Quality of Life product from Nintendo - Yo Kai Watch 2; however, it seems more intent on despoiling quality. Lastly, Greg takes us to a Metroid Place with his impressions of Axiom Verge.

After the break, we do a shorter Listener Mail segment. The topics this week are the fate of hand-drawn sprites in games, and the rumored Final Fantasy 6 remake. You can rig our 3D models via our inbox.

This is your last reminder: the 7th Annual NWR Telethon is this Saturday, October 15. Donations are now open! Details are available here. If you're curious: RFN goes on at noon, Syrenne at 6, and Jon and James at 10 (all times Eastern).

Finally, we'll be taking next week off for the Telethon, but the subsequent week we'll be recording our RetroActive for LEGO City Undercover. There's still time to get started, but if you already have you can post your thoughts in the thread.

James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
Re: Episode 495: Introducing CladPrincess7
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2016, 02:14:26 AM »
Let me help with the Half-Genie Hero answer here for Capsule-J.

Half-Genie Hero is running on the Ducktales Engine, which was 3D modeled environments with high resolution animated cells worked on by wayforward in collaboration with Disney.

The reason that Half Genie Hero may be confused a bit for having some sort of rendering is because in Half Genie Hero's case, it appears that they essentially drew up animated Flash puppets, which is where you create a ton of assets for a character in flash and then can call upon various bits of that asset library and use tweening to make the motion in those assets seamless.

This is both a budgetary move due to the game being a kickstarter funded project, and the fact that using flash puppets considerably cuts down on the time it takes to animate things.

The FF Remake train never stopped. There's the PSP 20th anniversary versions of FF1 and 2. then Final Fantasy 4 the complete hit the PSP very late in it's life and got converted into a Cell Phone Game, and based on the graphical style and engine of FF4 the complete came the FF5 remake and FF6 remake. and THEN Squeenix found out that they could instead milk it by putting old sprites on your phone in a flashy screen saver that costs money called Final Fantasy All the Bravest. this tradition then continued through better stuff like Record Keeper.

in japan, there is a 3DS version of the Mobile/PSP FF1 remake that's 3D Enabled. there's a video of it on Daan Koopman's youtube channel.

Also, there is an FF9 remake with better textures and cleaned up FMVs.

There's also a weird FF11 mobile reboot. https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--cNXNvtzW--/c_scale,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/krnipuamzrmhszrpfzkm.jpg

... I played waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much FF11.

Also, FF5 has only gotten as much remake love as FF6 has had, which is GBA with extra features, and the iOS/Steam.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 05:45:05 AM by ClexYoshi »

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2016, 09:57:24 AM »
I wasnt perfect, but I really liked Recore. I didnt have and major technical issues, so I got end cut scene and credits.
As for the pacing issues, it unlocks the final dungeon too early. You are better off exploring the world more, collecting cores and finishing dungeons, then going to the final one.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2016, 04:48:41 PM »
Axiom Verge is a good demonstration of the strength of a newcomer to the genre, you're not familiar with the powers you get in the game and cannot immediately recognize spots that require power X. You may see an obstacle like a small gap that obviously needs a power but you don't know what kind of power it will be (or you might expect something other than what you get). A good example of a power that completely changes the perception of the game world is the lab coat, I never expected anything like that to come along.

Shadow Complex's story being silly is even weirder considering they didn't just put a random dev on the job between proper tasks, they got Orson Scott Card to write it. And the end result still comes across a bit like Bionic Commando (the old one). I just imagine that the nukes I shoot at that giant airship hit Hitler in the face.

Offline Rodrigue

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2016, 11:13:49 PM »
I don't really agree with James' assessment of Youkai Watch 2. You are probably quite early in the game right now, but even from the start I found that the coat of polish spread over everything made the experience fresh despite being in the same environment. The music got new arrangements, a bunch of new stuff is added around the map, the youkai detection and battle just feel better. Probably the biggest change is the dialogue and characters being more expressive and interesting. I think the graphics got some adjustments, but it's been so long I played the first one that I don't remember all that well. The game most likely targets people who became fans of the series via the anime as much as people who played the first game. And with the slice of life aesthetic, it would be kind of weird for Sakura New Town to look completely different from 1 to 2.

You do get all the same maps from YW1 back (which is why YW2 has the reputation of being YW1 except better/fixing YW1's issues), but once you progress a bit further and come across the new content (which I don't want to spoil), you might change your mind about it. I agree that not having the bike or warp points is annoying after YW1, and if you played YW1 recently it might be too repetitive to go through it right now (I'm kinda burnt out now after starting YW3 soon after playing 2/Busters), but I think the improvements and new content are more significant than it might seem at first.

If you do keep playing it, I look forward to hearing what you think about the new content and the story.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 11:38:58 PM by Rodrigue »

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2016, 07:05:02 PM »
So i was still a bit on the fence about Paper Mario, but Syrenne's description sold me on it so I picked it up earlier this week. Having now started it, Syrenne seems totally right. It's super funny so far, and the presentation is amongst the very best on Wii U in my opinion.