Author Topic: Episode 236: Trauma Hunter  (Read 11257 times)

Offline Chocobo_Rider

• Embrace the status quo.
  • Score: 13
    • View Profile
Re: Episode 236: Trauma Hunter
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2011, 04:26:28 PM »
@LittleIrves

hey man, thanks for the input.  I do think at home things would work better.  and, for me, handhelds get used in nearly the same way as my consoles.  in fact, the only real differences in my portables is that I can take them on vacation and they make for ideal entertainment when falling asleep at night.

so I totally get sitting down and immersing.

as for the price? yea, especially now I really can't justify it but someday the price/bundle/features/stars/my income/whatever will all align just right and I look forward to that day ^_^

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2011, 07:39:53 PM »
As a follow-up to last year's Child's Play RFN marathon, Jon should do a Chrono Trigger playthrough marathon.  People chip in $100/hour to get Jon to livestream a video of him playing Chrono Trigger.  For just $2,000 we can make Jon's dream of finishing this game a reality (plus buy some toys for sick kids).
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline FZeroBoyo

• Score: 12
    • View Profile
    • My deviantART
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2011, 11:32:34 PM »
Nice to hear Greg's enjoying the 3DS and that Jon is still going through Pokemon. When it comes to playing RPG's, I'm halfway between Jon and James: I won't blow through them, but at the same time, I won't take forever playing them.

Also, I am listening to some older episodes of the show on my 3DS, and cracking up at how the foursome sound with high and low voices.  ;D  And with some of the modifiers in the game, you can listen to Radio Free Nintendo as if they were actually on the radio!  :P:
This is where I would write something witty or funny if I had any ideas.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2011, 10:38:12 PM »
I stood through all of HOTD:Overkill and Red Steel 2. Greg needs to work on his lower body strength.

Offline yoshi1001

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • PIRN-Pokemon Radio
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2011, 11:37:37 PM »
Yeah, that scene in The Lion King reminded me of Star Trek III as well. By the way, Greg, have you ever heard the dance version of Star Trek III's theme?
For Pokemon news and interviews, check us out at:

http://pokepress.blogspot.com/

Offline Chocobo_Rider

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2011, 12:42:07 AM »
I stood through all of HOTD:Overkill and Red Steel 2. Greg needs to work on his lower body strength.

hellz yea, bro!

RS2 was a lot of fun in that regard.  definitely full body gaming.  and I sometimes stand for my various Wii rail shooters ... depends on my mood.

anyone ever play the Shaun White games with the balance board? talk about a lower body workout.... sometimes my quads would be so sore I couldn't play 2 days in a row!

Offline Yoshidious

• Silent Partner
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2011, 12:34:13 PM »

Being the dedicated RFN listener that I know you are ShyGuy, you should know that I also played through Red Steel 2 standing up, but of course this was due to the motion controls involved in playing that game rather than the nervous tension James described while playing Trauma Team. I would definitely prefer to play something like HotD Overkill sitting down though, because--as I've found playing stuff like Trauma Team and Sin & Punishment 2--my aim is more reliable when I can rest my arm on top of my thigh. Red Steel 2 does involve some shooting obviously, but it does not require the same kind of consistently precise use of the pointer that those other games do. 

Yeah, that scene in The Lion King reminded me of Star Trek III as well. By the way, Greg, have you ever heard the dance version of Star Trek III's theme?

I have not heard this. Does it evoke the grim majesty of Bill Shatner kicking Christopher Lloyd in the face, but in a funky way?
Greg Leahy
Former RFN Editor

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2011, 03:33:30 PM »
Also props to James for mentioning the Touch Detective Sequel. Both games were excellent.

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2011, 05:07:37 PM »
Also props to James for mentioning the Touch Detective Sequel. Both games were excellent.

Impulse buy for the win!
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Chocobo_Rider

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2011, 03:12:29 AM »
James-

Care to comment on my earlier post RE: 999??

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2011, 05:38:25 PM »
My thoughts...

Monster Hunter Tri - My take on this game is that it's an MMO for people that don't want to play MMOs.  It's kind of an MMO lite.  All of the stuff that you get in most fantasy MMOs are there: navigating instanced areas filled with underbosses to fight giant bosses at the end; boss fights that require group strategy in order to ensure victory; item, armor, and weapon crafting; quests; repetitive completion of mundane tasks to gain an item or reach a goal; the ability to pore over your character's stats and tweak them ever so slightly; the ability to personalize your character to your heart's content.  These are the elements that people that play games like World of Warcraft latch on to, but MMOs provide extra layers like world lore, PvP, and so on.  Just like some people think MMOs are a complete bore and a waste of time, many people will think the same of Monster Hunter Tri.  But there's also just as sizeable a portion of people that fall in love with that concept and can't be dragged away from it.  You're either one or the other.

Digital vs. Physical - As the digital market matures, I think you'll start to see games go on sale more and more.  Sony already has already instituted weekly sales for various games on PSN.  After a while every digital publisher comes to the realization that people usually won't buy games at full price, but will buy they go on sale, and they perceive to be getting themselves a deal.

Greg's Workout Habits - I find it ironic that dudebro FPSes are getting lambasted in this thread, while at the same time Greg is being told to work out.  Mixed messages!

Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline Chocobo_Rider

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2011, 03:43:59 AM »
I do think MH3 satisfied an "MMO lite" void in my gaming habits.

I think the concept behind MMOs is great.  That being: who better to supply dynamic and "realistic" content than OTHER, REAL PEOPLE.

Unfortunately, the few MMOs I've played suffered from what I consider a fatal flaw that MH3 avoids.  That flaw is the idea that, though you have near infinite choices of character customization, unless you want to suck goats, there is one "right" build for, say, each class.

Oh you wanna be good at magic AND attack? Well now you suck at both and no one wants to play with you.  You want to be a support character who sometimes goes on the offensive? Well, again, you spread your stats too thin and now you can't help anyone.

That's been my experience with most MMOs.  But in MH3 I found I had a lot of freedom.  I really felt like I could sit down and say "ok, it would be fun if I could do X, Y and Z" and then I would just look over the weapon/armor/gem combinations until I found the one that best fit my needs.

I can craft a character who is built for offense AND a bit of support, and my skill in playing will determine my effectiveness ... not some under-the-hood stat calculation.

Now, go bug James to tell me what he thought about the end of 999 ^_^

Offline gbuell

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • Grant Buell
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2011, 09:18:41 AM »
This episode makes me really want to get Trauma Team. I haven't played any of the Trauma Center games though. Would it be a mistake to start with this one? (Cross posted to Facebook page.)
Why doesn't Metroid ever take off his armor?

Offline Crimm

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2011, 12:02:14 PM »
I'm pretty sure I covered this in an episode, but the true ending of 999 was kind of whacked. I have questions, but I cannot ask them without massive spoilers. Conceptually I do enjoy the way the peril of their situation was resolved.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Yoshidious

• Silent Partner
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2011, 12:37:40 PM »
This episode makes me really want to get Trauma Team. I haven't played any of the Trauma Center games though. Would it be a mistake to start with this one? (Cross posted to Facebook page.)

As I mentioned during the episode, this was my first Trauma game and I had no trouble getting into the story or handling the difficulty (I played on the higher of the two initially available settings, "Resident"). From what I've read, Trauma Team is apparently somewhat easier than previous games in the Trauma series, so it may be better suited as an introduction than the previous games anyway.
Greg Leahy
Former RFN Editor

Offline Crimm

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2011, 12:57:38 PM »
It's a bit easier, and a bit more inviting.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2011, 01:16:09 AM »
I'm pretty sure I covered this in an episode, but the true ending of 999 was kind of whacked. I have questions, but I cannot ask them without massive spoilers. Conceptually I do enjoy the way the peril of their situation was resolved.

Aksys published a list of answers from the game's creators a few weeks ago.

http://www.aksysgames.com/999/answers

(spoilers abound, obviously)

Alternatively, why not just post them in the 999 thread over in the handheld section?  I'm always happy to discuss this game, and I'm sure plenty of others those who've played it are as well.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2011, 01:01:41 PM »
I'm throwing down an Action Replay (for the Gamecube) Challenge for Greg. I'm emailing it in now.

Offline FZeroBoyo

• Score: 12
    • View Profile
    • My deviantART
« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2011, 01:09:00 PM »
I'm in the same boat as Greg. Didn't play any previous Trauma games, went in on the higher difficulty, and enjoyed it thoroughly and didn't run into too many rough spots. Very good game, pleasantly surprised me.
This is where I would write something witty or funny if I had any ideas.