Author Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword  (Read 614528 times)

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
Re: New Wii Zelda
« Reply #1150 on: August 18, 2010, 12:09:00 AM »
What in Nintendo's 120-year history makes one think that Zelda will/could have voice acting that's 'great'?

Baten Kaitos Origins, a game they published but outsourced the voice acting to another company.  It had great voice acting.

oh
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: August 18, 2010, 02:08:39 AM »
Part of the reason that Ocarina of Time did so well was because for all of the fans, that was the next Zelda game after LttP.
They could've played Link's Awakening on Game Boy. This doesn't change your point, but still, Link's Awakening needs more recognition!

And Awakening is one of the best Zeldas for me.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: August 18, 2010, 04:02:04 AM »
I get the idea that if Nintendo doesn't totally nail it with voice acting, fans will bitch.  But fans bitched about the Wind Waker's visuals too.  If they don't get the motion controls right in Skyward Sword, fans will bitch.  This is a risk of changing anything or adding anything to the series and I think that sort of risk just has to be taken at certain points or things will stagnate (which will bring out a different form of bitching.)

Recently, video game anthropologists have recently discovered a third way to bitch about video game innovation within game series.  They found that certain peoples decried the changes to a series, not for ruining the series or for being poor, but that the change did not result into an entirely new IP.  Modern anthropologists are puzzled as to the motives of these peoples, as such a position was truly bizarre, even in their times.

By the way, Nintendo has actually used voice acting in an artistic way that added to the game.  The EAD team specifically wanted voice in Starfox 64 because it would allow the game to relay information to the player without them having to read the words at the bottom of the screen.  (Taking their eye off the action.) And this is possibly why there are so many fond memories of Starfox 64's voice acting.  Because in that game, they served the purpose of notification of enemy locations and hints and such.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 07:37:21 AM by Deguello »
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: August 18, 2010, 05:34:15 AM »
yeah true, leave voice acting to Starfox, actually Starfox could be the best series if treated right....Retro?
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline balzzzy

• View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: August 25, 2010, 11:20:28 PM »
Random Zelda fan appreciation moment, brought to you with tesla coils, light sabers and...balloons?? Check this link out.
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music."
- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo Inc. 1989

Offline balzzzy

• View Profile
« Reply #1155 on: August 25, 2010, 11:23:22 PM »
And this is possibly why there are so many fond memories of Starfox 64's voice acting.  Because in that game, they served the purpose of notification of enemy locations and hints and such.
Ummm...Slippy's whining REALLY stands out as well in that game. Often I would shoot him down first to avoid listening to him.
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music."

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: August 26, 2010, 06:46:49 PM »
And this is possibly why there are so many fond memories of Starfox 64's voice acting.  Because in that game, they served the purpose of notification of enemy locations and hints and such.
Ummm...Slippy's whining REALLY stands out as well in that game. Often I would shoot him down first to avoid listening to him.

and thats exactly what they wanted you to do
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: August 26, 2010, 07:40:11 PM »
That's why they made it so you only see the boss health gauge if he's alive. There's no incentive to keep Peppy and Falco alive beyond the added firepower; they have to give you a good reason not to let Slippy die.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline balzzzy

• View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: August 26, 2010, 09:17:52 PM »
That's why they made it so you only see the boss health gauge if he's alive. There's no incentive to keep Peppy and Falco alive beyond the added firepower; they have to give you a good reason not to let Slippy die.
When I was a kid we didn't have health bars, we just kept on shooting. They should have left him on Titania, lol.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1159 on: September 01, 2010, 02:05:53 PM »
Can we get a title change for the thread?

Also here is some more info that I found.

http://zeldauniverse.net/zelda-news/everything-you-need-to-know-about-skyward-sword/
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: September 01, 2010, 02:15:11 PM »
Looks like SOMEBODY didn't collect enough seashells in Link's Awakening...
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
Re: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
« Reply #1161 on: September 01, 2010, 02:19:10 PM »
No voice acting. Oh goody.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: September 01, 2010, 03:00:10 PM »

http://zeldauniverse.net/zelda-news/everything-you-need-to-know-about-skyward-sword/
Hmm...using the brightness of Link's sword to find treasure...limited stamina meter for climbing/running.  Some of this kind of reminds me a little of Shadow of the Colossus.
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline Renny

• Satin
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: September 01, 2010, 06:59:48 PM »

Hmm...using the brightness of Link's sword to find treasure...limited stamina meter for climbing/running.  Some of this kind of reminds me a little of Shadow of the Colossus.

I thought the same. It'll be interesting to see these elements at work in a more expanded game than Shadow of the Colossus, especially in regards to puzzles. SotC leaves you wanting more - but maybe for the better, when the alternative is to allow the exploration to become tedious.
"... i only see pS2s at the halfway house so its those crazy druggies playing them." - animecyberrat

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: September 01, 2010, 07:42:05 PM »
If the split time line theory is correct, then Twilight Princess would exsist in an alternate time line from Wind Waker, right? This would be that Midna, Zant and the Twili must all exsist in the Wind Waker series, right?
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: September 01, 2010, 08:12:12 PM »
If the split time line theory is correct, then Twilight Princess would exsist in an alternate time line from Wind Waker, right? This would be that Midna, Zant and the Twili must all exsist in the Wind Waker series, right?

Depends on whether the destruction of Hyrule in the events predating Wind Waker also destroyed the Twilight Realm.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: September 01, 2010, 08:40:04 PM »

Depends on whether the destruction of Hyrule in the events predating Wind Waker also destroyed the Twilight Realm.

What I was saying is that we could see the return of Zant and Midna in the Wind Waker series in cel-shaded form. Also, here is a nice video that talks about the time line of the series, but it leaves out Spirit Tracks and Skyward Sword.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2g65jL3HDg&feature=grec_index

I am of the belief that Skyward Sword will be the first in the series and is a prequel to OoT followed by the split time line theory.

Split Time line: 

Majora's Mask --> Twilight Princess--> Minish Cap --> Four Swords---> Loz: NES--> Zelda 2--> ?

Link to the Past--> Oracle of Seasons and Ages--> Wind Waker--> Phantom Hour Glass--> Link's Awakening--> Spirit Tracks(?)--> ?

Also, Twilight Princess Link is a descendant of the child Link from OoT and Malon.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: September 02, 2010, 11:08:09 PM »
Here is another theory pertaining to Skyward Sword:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdBEBdnxFo4&feature=related

Offline MoronSonOfBoron

• Little Black Rain Cloud
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
    • moronsonofboron @ deviantART
« Reply #1168 on: September 03, 2010, 02:01:14 PM »
I'm of the "there is no timeline" camp. It's like... zen fandom.
Eat lightning and crap thunder.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #1169 on: September 03, 2010, 02:24:47 PM »
Except there is a official timeline, so you are of the "i'm ignoring the timeline" camp. Since Nintendo is the only ones who can decide if there is a timline or not, there word is final.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #1170 on: September 03, 2010, 02:38:24 PM »
I would like to see multiple Links in a game with the style of Twilight Princess or Skyward Sword similar to the Four Swords games.

In Twilight Princess when Midna or some one else mentioned that the Twili were banished by a group of people called the "Anchient Ones" for trying to reach the Sacred Realm. are are the Anchient Ones? My theory is that the anchient ones are the rulers of Sky Loft and the progenitors of the Twili will be mentioned or revealed in Skyward Sword as a rival faction the Anchient Ones.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 02:51:56 PM by Kytim89 »

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: September 03, 2010, 02:49:35 PM »
Except there is a official timeline, so you are of the "i'm ignoring the timeline" camp. Since Nintendo is the only ones who can decide if there is a timline or not, there word is final.

In the link Maxi posted, one of the questions posed to Aonuma was whether Ganon would be in Skyward Sword.  This is before even Ocarina of Time, where Gannondorf became Ganon for the first time.  That Aonuma would only answer "no comment" to that question instead of outright denying it alone is enough to tell me that Nintendo doesn't really give a damn about the Zelda timeline and only pays it lip service when it's convenient.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: September 03, 2010, 03:01:55 PM »
There's no official timeline. There are a couple vague statements made by Aunoma that give the impression there is a set timeline, but all it really means is that they realized how much fans are interested in that stuff, and decided to throw them a bone while they work on new games that they can sandwich into an ACTUAL timeline.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Online Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: September 03, 2010, 03:06:03 PM »

I am in the "ignoring the timeline" camp.  Nintendo's timeline is stupid and makes no sense.  It's easier for me to enjoy the games if I just treat them as isolated titles with no real conection to each other.  Nintendo just isn't any good at storytelling and it's because they obviously don't care.  However I do feel the fan-assumed timeline of the first six games works quite well and I'll act like those games are connected when replaying them.

I do this with Star Wars as well.  I isolate the unaltered version of the original trilogy and ignore everything else because it sucks and is contradictory.

It's just fiction.  I'm not trying to connect the dots of history using ancient scrolls here.  So why can't I just pick and choose what I like and ignore the rest?  It's all supposed to be fun anyway.  If the creator makes it less enjoyable with retcons, inconsistencies and just plain stupid ideas, why let him ruin it for you?

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #1174 on: September 03, 2010, 03:18:29 PM »
There's no official timeline. There are a couple vague statements made by Aunoma that give the impression there is a set timeline, but all it really means is that they realized how much fans are interested in that stuff, and decided to throw them a bone while they work on new games that they can sandwich into an ACTUAL timeline.

Both Aonuma and Miyamoto have said there IS an official timeline, so that means there IS. You may ignore it, but that doesn't change the fact that you are wrong. The facts are that there is an official Zelda timeline, end of story. Sorry, but anybody who says otherwise is speaking out of their ass and just ignoring facts.

Ian, the Star Wars movies don't contract each other. If you are talking about the books, blame Lucas for saying that they are canon too (except when they contradict the movies, if the movies and a book contradict each other then the movie is automatically correct and the book is wrong).
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 03:20:41 PM by TJ Spyke »
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20