Author Topic: Metroid Other M  (Read 419881 times)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Re: Metroid Other M
« Reply #925 on: August 23, 2010, 08:13:31 PM »
The only problem Adrock is that fans don't get to pick and choose what they want to be canon. Whoever owns the IP get to choose what is and isn't canon.

As for your logic about SM not mentioning Prime, then most prequels shouldn't count since they are usually not mentioned. The Prime games majorly reference the other games in the series. You are free to think what you want, I just hope you remember that all of the Metroid games are canon (including the Fusion is the last).

OOT didn't retcon anything, everything in the games before and after are still canon (retcon means it changes established canon).

brood, screw Sakamoto. He should not have been allowed to direct a Metroid game again. Luckily he has zero say over what is or isn't canon in Metroid.

The first and last paragraphs in that post contradict each other a bit.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #926 on: August 23, 2010, 08:17:01 PM »
I'm convinced that Nintendo does give two craps about continuity in Zelda games. There were more allusions to Ocarina in Wind Waker than Twilight Princess. Arguably they're both sequels to that N64 title. Even Majora's Mask is a sequel to Ocarina. There has never been consistency, and I don't think there was ever meant to BE consistency.

I view the Zelda franchise as a series of re-interpretations of a single story. You might call it a perpetual mythology, changing with every telling.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline TheBlackCat

• Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: August 23, 2010, 08:34:23 PM »
No, I think it was a cloned version of Ridley that eventually melted, allowing the X to assume its globular form and float away. The ice just broke away at that point. I think it was always an X clone.
I am pretty sure he was there before the X parasites reached that part of the station.  There is also the fact that he radically changed his form after thawing.  If he was an x parasite clone you would have expected him to already have a new form when he was frozen.  There is also the question how he was thawed in the first place if he was frozen.  If he was infected by cold-tolerant x parasites, that would explain him thawing out, but those don't appear until after being on the station for a while.  If he was infected by the earlier, cold-intolerant x parasites he wouldn't have thawed.

Still doesn't explain why Ridley was on SR-388, though.
What makes you think he was on sr388 at all?  Not all the enemies on Fusion are from SR388, many are from Zebes.
Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining.
-Jeff Raskin

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: August 23, 2010, 08:48:18 PM »
Since Zero Mission references Prime, it's canonical. Since the Prime games are canonical, and Corruption references Hunters, it's also canonical (sigh).
Oh, I'm not debating whether Prime is canonical. I know it is. In fact, I've already stated this. I'm only pointing out how loose the canon is. Same with Zelda.
As for your logic about SM not mentioning Prime, then most prequels shouldn't count since they are usually not mentioned. The Prime games majorly reference the other games in the series. You are free to think what you want, I just hope you remember that all of the Metroid games are canon (including the Fusion is the last).
I kind of feel like Samus would have mentioned when radioactive goo corrupted her body and almost killed her..... Just saying....
OOT didn't retcon anything, everything in the games before and after are still canon (retcon means it changes established canon).
Are you kidding me? ALL of the maidens, descendants of the sages (2 of which are a fish girl and a rock beast), in A Link to the Past are regular human/Hylian girls. The Zoras are still alive and well too (no evolutionary Zora descended Rito tribe here either), except they aren't humanoid bipedal fish creatures, they're green and orange fish monsters. Seriously, dude.....
brood, screw Sakamoto. He should not have been allowed to direct a Metroid game again. Luckily he has zero say over what is or isn't canon in Metroid.
What is this? I don't even.....

So the man who co-created the series and has directed every main series entry starting with Metroid II has no say in what is series canon? I just....

/facepalm

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #929 on: August 23, 2010, 09:21:49 PM »
I'm convinced that Nintendo does give two craps about continuity in Zelda games.
It's easy to have "continuity" when you have diverging timelines.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Spinnzilla

• Hippie Kaiju
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #930 on: August 23, 2010, 10:36:37 PM »
I'm curious as to why Nintendo just can't do something that follows Fusion. I wouldn't mind seeing the fusion suit returning.
Who wants heroine brownies?

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #931 on: August 23, 2010, 10:43:28 PM »
I think it would be cool to see a sequel that comes after Fusion where somewhere along the game, an event occurs that cures Samus of her X virus -- maybe by some form of other-worldly planetary radiation -- which in turn allows her to put the Power Suit back on.  That'd be a really epic scene of events if designed properly.
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline TheBlackCat

• View Profile
« Reply #932 on: August 23, 2010, 10:59:51 PM »
Are you kidding me? ALL of the maidens, descendants of the sages (2 of which are a fish girl and a rock beast), in A Link to the Past are regular human/Hylian girls.
Technically they are Hyrulian.  The Hylians are the ancient civilization, during the OoT period.  The race from LttP were called Hyrulians.  They are descended from the Hylians, but they lost most of their powers.

The Zoras are still alive and well too (no evolutionary Zora descended Rito tribe here either), except they aren't humanoid bipedal fish creatures, they're green and orange fish monsters. Seriously, dude.....
The Gorons are also radically different in the earlier Zelda games, more like winged prairie dogs that turn to stone when attacked.

That being said, it is not entirely implausible that Zoras, Gorons, and Hyrulians interbred.  Ruto seemed quite intent on doing exactly that, although it would probably be easier for Zoras than Gorons.
Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining.
-Jeff Raskin

Offline TheBlackCat

• View Profile
« Reply #933 on: August 23, 2010, 11:00:53 PM »
I think it would be cool to see a sequel that comes after Fusion where somewhere along the game, an event occurs that cures Samus of her X virus -- maybe by some form of other-worldly planetary radiation -- which in turn allows her to put the Power Suit back on.  That'd be a really epic scene of events if designed properly.

Doesn't she put the power suit back on after absorbing the Sa-X that was killed by the mega omega metroid?
-Jeff Raskin

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #934 on: August 23, 2010, 11:01:31 PM »
Since Zero Mission references Prime, it's canonical. Since the Prime games are canonical, and Corruption references Hunters, it's also canonical (sigh).
Oh, I'm not debating whether Prime is canonical. I know it is. In fact, I've already stated this. I'm only pointing out how loose the canon is. Same with Zelda.
I kind of feel like Samus would have mentioned when radioactive goo corrupted her body and almost killed her..... Just saying....
Are you kidding me? ALL of the maidens, descendants of the sages (2 of which are a fish girl and a rock beast), in A Link to the Past are regular human/Hylian girls. The Zoras are still alive and well too (no evolutionary Zora descended Rito tribe here either), except they aren't humanoid bipedal fish creatures, they're green and orange fish monsters. Seriously, dude.....
What is this? I don't even.....

So the man who co-created the series and has directed every main series entry starting with Metroid II has no say in what is series canon? I just....

/facepalm

The company decides what is canon, not someone who just helped work on it. Besides, it's not even confirmed he said that.

As for Zelda canon, I suggest you check out a site like the Zelda Wiki where they clearly explain everything. You may disagree, but that doesn't change anything.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: August 23, 2010, 11:07:35 PM »
The company decides what is canon, not someone who just helped work on it.

It's not like Iwata's making the decisions about what's canon and what's not; that's up to those in charge of making the games.  Also, calling Sakamoto "someone who just helped work on" Metroid is like calling Miyamoto "someone who just helped work on" Zelda.

J.P. Corbran

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #936 on: August 23, 2010, 11:27:32 PM »
I would consider the situation similar to comics. Stan Lee may have created Spider-Man, but it is Marvel (well, Disney now) who decide what is and isn't canon to Spider-Man, not Lee. It's the same here, it's what Nintendo as a company says is canon, not what Sakamoto does.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #937 on: August 23, 2010, 11:30:22 PM »
Doesn't she put the power suit back on after absorbing the Sa-X that was killed by the mega omega metroid?
Oh, that's right! I had completely forgotten about that. Well, then I pose this question...  what if when Samus absorbed the SA-X, it of course gave her the Power Suit back, but let's say that the Power Suit it gave her was just the cloned SA-X Power Suit? This would technically have Samus still infected with the X virus... just now she would be in her regular form.. hmmm...
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: August 23, 2010, 11:32:59 PM »

I would consider the situation similar to comics. Stan Lee may have created Spider-Man, but it is Marvel (well, Disney now) who decide what is and isn't canon to Spider-Man, not Lee. It's the same here, it's what Nintendo as a company says is canon, not what Sakamoto does.

Yes, but what Sakamoto does *is* what Nintendo as a company says is canon.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: August 23, 2010, 11:34:33 PM »
As for Zelda canon, I suggest you check out a site like the Zelda Wiki where they clearly explain everything. You may disagree, but that doesn't change anything.
I realize there is a canon. I just don't care because, as I've explained, I find it poorly constructed at best. I like playing the games treating each game independently. That's just how I do things. I don't care what you think. And I do disagree, but I never said it changed anything. I literally prepare the facepalm right before reading one of your posts.
As long as Sakamoto is directing the games, he's deciding what's canon.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #940 on: August 23, 2010, 11:49:04 PM »
This is his first Metroid games in years. And no, he does not decide what is canon. Nintendo says the Prime games (which are the best in the series) are canon, so they are canon.

Why are we even discussing this? broodwars isn't even sure Sakamoto made that ridiculous claim. Even if true, let Sakamoto think whatever he wants. Nintendo considers the Prime games canon, so they are canon.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: August 23, 2010, 11:59:28 PM »
Why are we even discussing this? broodwars isn't even sure Sakamoto made that ridiculous claim. Even if true, let Sakamoto think whatever he wants. Nintendo considers the Prime games canon, so they are canon.

Yeah, I've been looking into that quote, and apparently it originated from this.  I'll save you the trouble of reading it all by quoting the relevant part:

Retro obviously produced the Metroid Prime series; very successful, very influential. Do you consider this a reboot of the series after Metroid Prime? Is this the direction for future Metroids or just another direction?

The games that I've been involved with in the Metroid series have been on the NES, GameBoy, Super NES and the GBA. I actually didn't have a lot of input on the Prime series. But when they're doing with Other M here, it's not so much a different universe, it's just a different part of the story. You can't say that there's no relation here; it's probably best to think of them as being in parallel in this world.

That seems to be the origin of all this, and honestly I have to wonder if something got lost in translation because I'm not even sure what that means.  It doesn't sound like a disowning of the Prime games from the series, though.  I think that's how IGN originally translated it.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 12:01:53 AM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: August 24, 2010, 12:03:50 AM »
It seems to me like he's just saying that Other M isn't tied in with the Prime games at all, which we pretty much already knew.

J.P. Corbran

Offline TheBlackCat

• View Profile
« Reply #943 on: August 24, 2010, 12:21:57 AM »
Oh, that's right! I had completely forgotten about that. Well, then I pose this question...  what if when Samus absorbed the SA-X, it of course gave her the Power Suit back, but let's say that the Power Suit it gave her was just the cloned SA-X Power Suit? This would technically have Samus still infected with the X virus... just now she would be in her regular form.. hmmm...
She isn't infected anymore, she had metroid DNA incorporated into her so she can eat x-parasites.  All the x-parasites that had infected her were consumed by her body once she got the metroid DNA.  That is why she was so sensitive to cold, metroids can't stand cold.
-Jeff Raskin

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: August 24, 2010, 12:35:19 AM »
I thought it's cause she's a woman.

M is for Move that thermostat to the right.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #945 on: August 24, 2010, 01:30:55 AM »
I should probably be insulted by Zap, but I can't not applaud him for his absurdity.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: August 24, 2010, 01:45:45 AM »
How is that absurd?

Move the thermostat to the right, won't you dear? What? Why don't I get up and get a blanket? I don't want to get up right now. You're already up, can't you just do it for me? Huh? Why do I always fight over the temperature? Oh I am sorry for being cold, and that you want me to shave every square every square inch of my back hair and never buy me any decent pajamas that AREN'T lingerie. Yeah, I was young and naive--to ever think you could change!

Now you see where the two hours of cutscenes will go?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 01:53:05 AM by Bit.Trip.Rowsdower »
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Spinnzilla

• Hippie Kaiju
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: August 24, 2010, 11:03:14 PM »
Well, first couple of review scores are up.

Nintendo Power- 8.5
Famitsu- 9/9/8/9 (35/40)
Game Informer (Aus)-8 [apparently, the US score will be very different]

Isn't an 8 on Game Informer pretty much an 11/10? :P  And I'm pretty sure Famitsu gave the game a higher score than any of the prime trilogy, though I could be wrong.
Who wants heroine brownies?

Offline Renny

• Satin
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: August 24, 2010, 11:56:11 PM »
And I'm pretty sure Famitsu gave the game a higher score than any of the prime trilogy, though I could be wrong.

Banzai! Banzai! Banzai!
"... i only see pS2s at the halfway house so its those crazy druggies playing them." - animecyberrat

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #949 on: August 25, 2010, 12:03:58 AM »
And I'm pretty sure Famitsu gave the game a higher score than any of the prime trilogy, though I could be wrong.

Not a real big difference though. The first two both got 33/40, the third got 31/40. It would be like the difference between a game getting 9.3 and 9.5 basically.