• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Re: School
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2008, 04:55:56 PM »
I'm done with school.

"Oh Ian so you have a degree?"

No I'm just done with school. ;)

I do have a Computer Information Systems diploma (two year program).  While in school I got my current job as a programmer.  Since I was working I went to school part time so my two year program took three years.  After I graduated I initially decided to try for my degree but was feeling burnt out from juggling work and school at the same time and after completing the semester I was on I decided to "take a break" from school for a bit to concentrate on my job which I was now working at full time.  That break has become permanent.  I now have a career in the very field I was going to school for and that was the whole point.  I also now have enough relevant work experience that if I ever switched jobs my 8 years of work in the software industry would get me the job, not my education.  So I have no regrets about effectively dropping out of college.  Hell my original plan was to only get the two year diploma and only pressure from my parents made me consider going for a degree.  In retrospect "taking a break" was just an excuse to keep my parents from getting pissed off.  I honestly had no interest in going back.

I just hate school.  I hate classes, I hate homework, I hate tests.  I've always done well at school because I know the formula.  I know how to work the system to get good grades.  Studying and taking tests is a skill.  In class participation is all about acting.  Assignments and homework are all about bullsh!tting and knowing what the instructor wants to hear.  But I find the whole thing excrutiatingly boring and most of what you "learn" is useless bullsh!t anyway which you immediately discover the second you're thrown into the real world.  I did like college initially because of the atmosphere.  I liked hanging out with my friends and such.  But at that point I was just going to school.  Once I had to juggle a career AND school it just ate up all my free time and my life was just stress and deadlines.  It sucked.

I've always however seen school as merely a tool to get a career going.  I never had any romanticized ideal of post-secondary education being anything but a business.  They get your money, you get a line on your resume that helps you get a job.  I've done that.  I don't need to do that again.  The most important things I've ever learned are from life experiences anyway.

I've grown uninterested in my current career but like where I work enough that if need be I can live with it until retirement.  What I really want to do is make movies for a living or make music.  Both are dream jobs that I'm making a serious effort for but will still require a fair amount of good luck to achieve.  Neither career really would benefit from going back to school for.

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2008, 02:22:53 PM »
Finished 5 years ago, cherish the moments my friends, no seriously do, dorm life is awesome.
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2008, 02:44:40 PM »
Finished 5 years ago, cherish the moments my friends, no seriously do, dorm life is awesome.

I was the opposite I just didn't like living with other people and found the classes to be the part I missed most from college (at least some of them).
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2008, 04:09:14 PM »

I was the opposite I just didn't like living with other people and found the classes to be the part I missed most from college (at least some of them).

As long as you're with some interesting people its a good time.  Living in college dorms and apartments is great in that most people are pretty social, its very easy to meet new people.

Then however, when you graduate and get a job, apartments in the "real world" are boring as all hell as some of your neighbors are in their 40's and have already given up on life.  Finally, you get a house, and you're so grumpy you want nothing to do with the guy across the with a boat he never uses sitting in his driveway.

Just sayin.....
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline Renny

• Satin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2008, 02:17:41 PM »
I'm still in school. I started late as hell though, because I just never got my life going till the past couple years. I finally settled on a 'biotech' career, where education=money, so I'll probably never stop attending some form of school. I'm working full-time also, just to have health insurance (USA! USA! USA!). Doing full-time work on top of school is a bitch. I don't have any time to play video games. But when I go to the ER, or have some kind of surgery, I'll only get raped half as hard.
"... i only see pS2s at the halfway house so its those crazy druggies playing them." - animecyberrat

Offline Mysticspike

• View Profile
    • Bim Dizzle
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2008, 06:01:44 PM »
I feel so out of the loop...
Someday, I will make my own Fantasy Factory to make all of my lifelong dreams come true...

Banana Productions<- Check out my Youtube channel.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2008, 08:43:05 PM »
you and me both ;)
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2009, 02:49:11 AM »
i never lived in a dorm, i did have 3 roommates at one time though, but we all lived in a big townhouse.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2009, 12:04:51 AM »
I've been done with school since '96.
Currently Reading:  Odd Apocalypse ~ Dean Koontz
Currently Watching:  ?