Author Topic: McDonald's Tries to take on BK games  (Read 12401 times)

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: McDonald's Tries to take on BK games
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2007, 06:22:40 AM »
Places like Moxie's over here will be the first restaurants to suffer in a recession - they focus so much on presentation and atmosphere, while the menu is basically glorified fast food for a much higher price.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
RE:McDonald's Tries to take on BK games
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2007, 06:34:20 AM »
unfortunately, working at a fast food resturaunt iv become somehwat of a conossour of fast food. There is pretty much a big taste difference between all the fast food which is weird, becase they all have the very same ingredients. Though i have to admit, eating fast food makes you feel sick all the time. It is definitely unhealthy. If I eat a Jack in the Box ultimate bacon cheeseburger (which tastes fabulous) then i will definitely feel gross afterwards. Eating fastfood causes more dmage to your liver than drinking regularly. Lately iv been buying alot of cerial(the healthy kind), if I need to ea something, might as well eat something full of vitamins.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2007, 07:33:33 AM »
I've also noticed the subtle differences between fast food brands, between their fries, sauces, etc. Sometimes I've come to relish the taste of oils, saturated fats, and artificial flavoring. I'm not averse to fast food and am perfectly willing to enjoy its artificial, processed flavor... once in a while. The key is mdoeration, because the surest road to irresistable temptation is to make an insincere pledge at 100% absitinence. Oh, make it if you're sincere about it, but how many people truly are?

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline matt oz

• APPLES!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2007, 07:39:10 AM »

Originally posted by: ThePerm
unfortunately, working at a fast food resturaunt iv become somehwat of a conossour of fast food.

connaisseur

if you don't know how to spell a word, why use it?
Wii Code:  7894 - 4898 - 7716 - 3649

Offline IceCold

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2007, 07:52:12 AM »

Originally posted by: matt oz

unfortunately, working at a fast food resturaunt iv become somehwat of a conossour of fast food.

connaisseur

Oh my goodness, the irony is blinding!

It's connoisseur..

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2007, 07:59:24 AM »
I was going to make a snide remark, too, but I think I'll give the benefit of the doubt in case this is one of those color/colour things.

On the subject of McDonald's video games, I agree that the Hamburglar is practically made for video games.

On the subject of fast food, I try not to indulge very often.  When I do, it's usually at Taco Bueno.  I swear there's an addictive substance in their muchacos.  If any of you ever venture into their territory, I recommend you try it out.  I also hope a newer local chain manages to grow that much.  Have you ever wished you could have a huge steak and a baked potato delivered to your door?  Well, I can.  The burgers are great, too.

Offline Renny

• Satin
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2007, 08:43:58 AM »
I have nothing against the cuisine that fast food attempts to copy, just everything else about it. I'm always down for a burger, and I don't fall for that Charbucks crap either. Viva Italia! I suppose for some it is elitism, but I genuinely loathe the food and ethics of fast food corporations. And really, Starbucks coffee tastes like carbonized arsehole.

I do still find myself eating at fast-food megachains occasionally. There's a general dearth of good restaurants in this city, and even less in my neighborhood. If I can help it I take food with me when I'm going into the danger zone (the mall area). For the same price as fast-food that is edible (such as Arby's) you can get better stuff from a local. There's no excuse if an alternative is availible.
"... i only see pS2s at the halfway house so its those crazy druggies playing them." - animecyberrat

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2007, 10:33:57 AM »
Fast food is an interesting beast. It's not really my preference to eat it, but I find myself eating it anyway due to college leaving me no time to cook. I worked at McDonalds for a really long time, and I wouldn't eat a burger there if they were giving them away. Watching a run of them come off the grill was enough to make me sick. However, I will gladly eat Wendy's or Taco Bell, though if I saw food prepared at Taco Bell I probably wouldn't eat there either. Wendy's always seems alright to me, and as far as I can tell their burgers are always fresh so I know I am eating at least halfway decent meat when I go in there.

I too hate the elitist attitude towards fast food, and I see the same with the whole Walmart situation as well. Too many people criticize those who support these businesses and think they are cultured for doing so. I totally agree with what Ian was saying above, these types of people are pretty much asses. Sometimes it just makes more sense to mind you own business and let people do what they want.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2007, 11:00:29 AM »
"I too hate the elitist attitude towards fast food, and I see the same with the whole Walmart situation as well."

I see that too.  I go to Wal-Mart a fair bit because they have good prices.  I'm not rich.  Saving money here or there is important.  I don't want the Wal-Mart in my area to wipe out every private business but when I want a product I'm typically going to go where I can get the best deal.  It's not always affordable to make a special effort to support local businesses.  Though I find that when I want a very specfic product Wal-Mart rarely has it anyway so the local businesses benefit from that.  Wal-Mart usually gets my business for stuff I don't give a sh!t about like deodorant.  But they don't have any CDs I like for example.  Their shoes are crap so I buy shoes somewhere else.  A local game store not only has a better selection but better prices on used games which Wal-Mart doesn't have.  Unless you have perfectly mainstream taste in everything Wal-Mart isn't always going to cut it.  But I need a new extension cord and Wal-Mart's on the way home from work?  Well then I'm going to Wal-Mart.

Offline Amodaus1

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2007, 11:03:55 AM »

Originally posted by: Mr. Jack

I too hate the elitist attitude towards fast food, and I see the same with the whole Walmart situation as well. Too many people criticize those who support these businesses and think they are cultured for doing so. I totally agree with what Ian was saying above, these types of people are pretty much asses. Sometimes it just makes more sense to mind you own business and let people do what they want.

I'm all for hating on elitists, but studing physiology, pathophysiology, and other fun courses of the nature teaches you fun stuff about poeple who neglect moderation in their eating habits.

I'm not bashing fast food, I'm bashing all food eaten out that is not moderated. A resteraunt is no different than McDonnalds in the amount of lipid filled food it gives you. I think this is a common missconception that people have derived. Generally if your eating out, it's proabably not the best idea health wise, but moderately speaking, you can eat out perhaps 2-3 times during the week, it'd be preferable if it were one, but 2-3 out of 21 major meals in the week isn't so bad. It doesn't matter if it's a classic well known fancy resteraunt that costs +$100 per plate, or the dollar menu from McDonnalds. It's all the same.

People should mind their own business, but it's small progress to improving a dire healthcare situation in the states that some people are putting down the burgers (really the fries), however, it's disheartening to see them flock to the Chessecake Factory instead.  

EDIT: The wallmart arguement is a different animal though. I think most people don't like walmart because it eats up small businesses. But for myself, I have yet to shop at one, I never intend to, mainly becuase i like costco, they pay their employees well above minimum wage, i believe it's $11.50 an hour staring and they allow unionization and health care for their workers. Wal-mart doesn't allow a union, doesn't cover it's workers with health care, starts everyone at minimum wage, and they lobbied despreatly against the Chicago law that forces all large retailers in the city to pay it's workers a minimum wage of at least $10 an hour. I like costco, cause their wholesale matches up pretty well to wallmart (or so i've heard), but they're damn chaep for me, and i know i'm reinforcing what i feel is a good buisness model, which more companies should take on.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2007, 11:40:03 AM »
Let's clear up a little bit of your misconceptions about Wal*Mart, buddy.

First off, Wal*Mart doesn't "eat up" small businesses.  Wal*Mart offers services and products at low prices.  Individual customers make the choice of shopping at Wal*Mart or continuing to support the small businesses.  When customers decide not to support small businesses (for whatever reason), either the small business must change their business model to attract these customers back or go out of business.  Wal*Mart doesn't move into town and start shutting down businesses - they close down because the business has failed to attract enough customers to keep it going.  Would you perfer that Wal*Mart raise their prices (thus making more profit for Wal*Mart) just to allow small businesses to remain competitive?  Or how about the proposal that requires Wal*Mart People Greeters to ask each shopper entering the store to present a receipt from a local small business before they're allowed to shop there?  There are plenty of mom and pop stores that have managed to survive and strive in a world of Wal*Marts.  They find a nitch that Wal*Mart doesn't cover or they make up for their higher prices in damn good service, quality or sales staff.  The stores that don't make it... well, apparently the customers didn't like them enough to keep them in business, eh?

As per starting pay - I have worked in 7 different Wal*Marts and I can't think of a single one that starts out at "minimum wage".  The store I'm at now actually starts an individual with no previous job history in a basic position at 50 cents above state minimum wage and is (sadly) one of the higher paying jobs in my community.  After about four years with Wal*Mart, I'm making over twice state minimum wage, which, considering the area and the fact that the job pretty much requires no special skills means that I'm doing pretty good.  What's the starting rate at one of your beloved Small Businesses?

As per the Chicago law - that law was bull crap and we all know it.  Aside from the fact that minimum wage laws are unconstitutional and hurt job growth (not to mention the number of jobs that go overseas because of this kind of crap), the idea of two business who have employees that do basically the same exact job being forced by the government to pay one set of employees extra because they have more employees, well, that's asinine.  If you want to set a minimum wage, then do it - don't make exclusions or you're just going to wind up hurting the free market.

Unions?  Bah.  Don't need 'em.  How many jobs have went overseas because of unions?

Health Care?  Health Care is an individual's responsibility.  Somewhere along the way, this idea has been lost and now everyone from employers to the government is expected to take care of our health care costs (meanwhile, we lazy americans continue to eat our horribly unhealthy food, not exercise, smoke, drink, have unprotected sex, etc., etc and then wonder why our health care costs are so high...)

Anywhoo, beyond that, Wal*Mart does offer fairly affordable health care that really doesn't suck too badly - and is way better than what you're likely to get working at Mom and Pop stores. Which is absolutly nothing.

Is Wal*Mart a perfect company?  Hells no.  But at least have a clue what you're talking about before you blurt stuff out like "Wal*Mart kills small businesses"...
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2007, 11:47:51 AM »
Here is New Zealand the closest thing we have to Wal-Mart is something called the Warehouse. From the sounds of it the Warehouse does seem to have better employee conditions, but it is pretty marginal though. Their prices for most part, are an illusion. Their eletronics are sub-standard, throw away items that are made to be thrown away at first opportunity. Games stores do better in every repect compared to them. All in all, it is pretty dismal.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Amodaus1

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2007, 11:50:49 AM »
Edit: forget it

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2007, 12:07:42 PM »

Originally posted by: Ian SaneHowever if I had Carls Jr., Jack in the Box or In-N-Out Burger in my area I would go to them much more than McDonald's but they don't seem to available anywhere in Canada.  Fast food selection here is pretty weak compared to just a few hours drive into Washington state.

Unfortunately, for anyone not on the west coast of the US, you will be hard-pressed to find an In-N-Out.  It's family owned and they actually ship their beef and other items fresh daily from a single farm in the middle of California.  They have no freezers in any store.  The farthest north they are is Redding, CA and the farthest west is Tuscon, AZ.  So unless you move to California, you are unlikely to ever get an INO in your area.

Carl's Jr. is called Hardee's in the east (not nearly as good and possibly slower).  Jack in the Box probably just hates Canada or something. :P

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2007, 12:38:35 PM »
I actually don't care for fries enough to eat all of them most of the time.  So if I get fast food, I tend to go to Wendy's where I can get the chili instead of fries.  I'm not sure if that's really any healthier, but it's more filling.

I find the quality of each Dennys to be completely independent.  Most of the time they're decent, sometimes they're horrible, and sometimes they're good.  Southern California has a similar diner chain called Carrows with much better food, service, and coffee.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline Amodaus1

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2007, 12:47:29 PM »

Originally posted by: Bloodworth
I actually don't care for fries enough to eat all of them most of the time.  So if I get fast food, I tend to go to Wendy's where I can get the chili instead of fries.  I'm not sure if that's really any healthier, but it's more filling.

Generall speaking, the fries are usually the worst thing you can eat, especially if you eat the large quantity they give you over extended periods of time. The chilli is most likely healther in the cardiovascular sense, comparitively to the fries. I used to eat the wendy's chili, it was pretty good, esspecially for a dollar, but i stopped eating beef, so i don't know how the quality has been for a while.  

Offline matt oz

• APPLES!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2007, 04:45:22 PM »

Originally posted by: IceCold

Originally posted by: matt oz

connaisseur

Oh my goodness, the irony is blinding!

It's connoisseur..

in French, it's connaisseur, from the verb connaitre, meaning 'to be familiar with'

in American, it's connoisseur, because someone messed up

I spell it the way it's meant to be spelled.

My spellng and grammer is always correkt!
Wii Code:  7894 - 4898 - 7716 - 3649

Offline IceCold

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2007, 06:28:18 PM »
Hmm, you're right.. I've been speaking French for nearly 15 years now - I can't believe I didn't realise

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2007, 07:34:26 PM »
I'd start a big discussion with Bob about some of his points (e.g. minimum wage preventing job growth - as if there was any point in having more jobs that pay too little to even afford the rent) but that'd quickly violate the "no politics" forum rule.

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2007, 09:35:54 PM »
I know, KDR.  I'm tempted to pounce on him too.

Perhaps this could be the subject of a Funhouse thread?
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2007, 12:34:29 AM »
BTW, you vegetarianists just don't know the goodness that is horse meat!

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2007, 01:29:36 AM »
"I too hate the elitist attitude towards fast food"

I don't see what's elitist about not wanting to clog your arteries before the age of 30... =)
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2007, 02:21:46 AM »
You're just jealous.... I don't know what of, but you are. =)

I'm trying to not eat so much junk food as in the past, including McDonald's, which is hard because it's on the way from the house to the office and it's very easy to just stop there for lunch.  Usually it's only once a week, but I like to eat... food taste so good.

And I think I am missing that gene that tells my brain I am full, so I eat until I feel like I am going to explode some times. =(
Currently Reading:  Odd Apocalypse ~ Dean Koontz
Currently Watching:  ?

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2007, 03:11:36 AM »
Dang no politics rule...  
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2007, 05:21:45 AM »
I'll admit that I'm one of those weirdos who takes a salad instead of fries at McD or BK but that's more because their fries taste so horrible rather than me wanting to "eat healthy". You can get good fries at any non-chain fast food store but those chain things just suck at them. Well, okay, the best fast food is still available only at the weekly market stands. Neither the bratcurry nor the fries are as good in any regular old place.