Author Topic: Nintendo Comments on Lack of Same-Sex Relationships in Tomodachi Life Localization  (Read 16149 times)

Offline Steel Diver

• Score: 12
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo Gamer Thoughts
Nintendo is not trying to provide "social commentary."

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/37361/nintendo-comments-on-lack-of-same-sex-relationships-in-tomodachi-life-localization

The localization of Tomadachi Life for North America will not allow for same sex relationships with a representative stating that they "never intended to make any form of social commentary."

Nintendo of America explained their stance in a statement saying "Nintendo never intended to make any form of social commentary with the launch of 'Tomodachi Life'. The relationship options in the game represent a playful alternate world rather than a real-life simulation. We hope that all of our fans will see that 'Tomodachi Life' was intended to be a whimsical and quirky game, and that we were absolutely not trying to provide social commentary."

A recent "Miiquality" campaign started by Tye Marini, a gay Nintendo fan from Mesa, Arizona, had the goal of getting same-sex relationships in the game's localization. In an interview he talked about the game's customization of Mii characters, saying  "You name them. You give them a personality. You give them a voice. They just can't fall in love if they're gay."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh, this would be a good time to remind everyone of our Forum Rules, which are enforced in Talkback just like any other section of the forum. There is a way to discuss this topic and explore disagreements in a respectful way. Much of what I see above fails that test. We will moderate users who use personal insults or break any other rule. There's a reason we make you read that stuff when creating an account.http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/forums/index.php?topic=27460.0

* You may not post obscene, racist, defamatory, or otherwise offensive material.

* You may not personally insult another user.

* These topics are strictly off-limits: politics, religion, sexual orientation.

(Note: A narrow exemption will be made to the above prohibition for the scope of discussion relevant to this specific news story -- posts should adhere to the game and Nintendo's response. This is not the place to step on a soapbox or lay out your platform for broader social issues.)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 12:26:56 AM by Jonnyboy117 »
I'm a staff writer here at good ol' Nintendo World Report, but I also have a Nintendo website at www.nintendogamerthoughts.com

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
While not unexpected, it wasn't what I hoped for. I wonder about the amount of access Treehouse and NoE's localization team had on the game and the personnel and resources they had available. If they had the resources, time, and NCL's blessing, I can't imagine a world where they wouldn't make same-sex relationships available.

Nintendo's public response to the issue was handled poorly. The statements are made of tone-deaf corporate double-speak that can easily be misconstrued. If all they had was bad news, not speaking would have been better than the statements they made.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
Actually I agree with Nintendo on this.

A video game is not the place to putting anything that might be controversial...and the absence of homosexual relationships in a game that has broad appeal for kids and adults is better than the inclusion.

And I do not want to sound insensitive, but honestly, activists should not try to push homosexuality into every aspect of our life.  I understand the need to fight for equality, but its a video game, and not including in a life simulation that will be mostly played by kids that are not even thinking about sexuality is not an act of discrimination. 

Offline Rodrigue

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
I agree they shouldn't have responded at all.

Post edited by moderator because it broke several NWR Forum Rules.

I'm told there's a way to dress up characters as the other gender to "gay marry" in the game without breaking it, and that it has been possible in the JP version for a long time as well (without being removed).

I have no clue why Americans (or Occidentals in general, IDK) believe that you need every video game to be "progressive" and have openly gay characters or the ability to play as a gay character.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 12:02:25 AM by Jonnyboy117 »

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
I agree they shouldn't have responded at all.

According to an IGN interview with Bill Trinen, the data-leak bug and the same-sex marriage were two unrelated issues that became conflated in western reporting of the Japanese articles. The patch fixed the data leak while the same-sex marriage was Japanese players being creative in assigning genders and clothing to their Miis.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 12:38:21 AM by Jonnyboy117 »

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
Sorry, but not allowing same-sex relationships in a game all about relationships is, in of itself, social commentary whether they like it or not.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
No Nintendo. You don't get to say "we didn't intend to make any form social commentary" and call it a day. The fact the game exists in this state is a form of social commentary. You don't get to make a game about relationships (playful or real) and offer a pathetic excuse when people raise a valuable point about how some relationships aren't represented in the game. You're saying the norm is for only straight people(characters, Miis, whatever) to get married.

And I do not want to sound insensitive, but honestly, activists should not try to push homosexuality into every aspect of our life.  I understand the need to fight for equality, but its a video game, and not including in a life simulation that will be mostly played by kids that are not even thinking about sexuality is not an act of discrimination.

I don't understand how having an option for same-sex relationships in a video game somehow pushes homosexuality into your life. But yeah, let's talk about how it makes straight-people feel when gay people can't simulate their life in a freaking life simulation.

Also, the "think of the children" hysteria doesn't hold water when there are plenty of "normal" children being raised by same-sex families.

I have no clue why Americans (or Occidentals in general, IDK) believe that you need every video game to be "progressive" and have openly gay characters or the ability to play as a gay character.

I'll give you a hint: the year is 2014.

Nintendo's response to this was worse than silence. This blows.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Good Heavens, just cancel the NA release Nintendo, say yourself the annoyance. What about Nintendo supporting Trans- players by allowing male appearance and female gender?

Or maybe having only two genders of Mii is hateful all on its own. It's a tricky minefield these days...

Can I report Steel Diver for political discussion? Sheesh.

Mod -- No, you may not.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 12:04:51 AM by Jonnyboy117 »

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
We aren't upset that they aren't supporting types of relationships. We (or at least me and others I know) are upset because their response to this is fucking terrible.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile

Would you say the same to a woman who complained that there wasn't a non-sexualized female character to play as? Just like men like to play men and women like to play women, HOLY ****, gay people want to have the same sort of relationship in their RELATIONSHIP SIMULATOR. Mind fucking blown, right? This is 20 fucking 14.

Sorry, what? All this sounds like is you saying "stop pushing your AGENDA" on me, yuck". There is no agenda from "activists". People of a certain sexuality want to play someone of that sexuality. Post edited by moderator because it broke several NWR Forum Rules.

Like I said, the problem I have with this is their god-awful response to it. They could have said a million things other than what they did and it wouldn't have been this big of a deal.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 12:07:00 AM by Jonnyboy117 »

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
Does it not count if they cheat the system and make a "male" Mii or a "female" Mii and dress it as they choose? It's just a video game, NONE OF IT IS REAL

Offline Soren

• View Profile
It's just a video game, NONE OF IT IS REAL

Dismissive statements don't count as a valid argument.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
It's just a video game, NONE OF IT IS REAL

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
Does any of this count as politics if Nintendo was the one that started it?

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
I'm sorry, is it real?

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
Just because it's real doesn't mean it isn't something that should happen. Post edited by moderator because it broke several NWR Forum Rules.

Because I hate to break it to you, but media influences people and their ideas. It may not be real, but how it affects people is real.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 12:07:47 AM by Jonnyboy117 »

Offline Tora

• Score: -7
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 12:01:01 AM by Jonnyboy117 »

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
Personal insults are not really necessary here, Oblivion.

The great thing about ideas is not everyone has to have the same one. You can not buy the game, Not buy Nintendo, complain about it to anybody who will listen, whatever you want. But when you insult somebody because they disagree with you, that does not do anybody any good.

Offline Tora

• Score: -7
    • View Profile
I'm sorry, is it real?

NO THEY'RE REAL!!

People take games far to seriously these days.  Those responses to your post was dead giveaway.  They feel as though they can't have what they want in a freaking game they need to complain about it.  I've seen so much of this in relation to censorship, misogyny, pedophilia, ect. 

Post edited by moderator because it broke several NWR Forum Rules.  ._.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 12:09:07 AM by Jonnyboy117 »

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
I'm surprised Nintendo of America didn't have more nuanced response ready to go. They must have known this would become a discussion topic as soon as they decided to release the game in America in 2014 (whereas arguments probably wouldn't have gained much traction for the original DS game in 2009).

This kind of controversy is exactly why Nintendo guarded Miis for so long and had very tight restrictions on how they could be used in games. I don't think there was even a game with direct control over Miis until... Mario Kart? Now they are launching a game in which characters that look like friends, family, and you interact in a wacky version of real life events, including romantic relationships. Seeing unexpected pairings is in fact a huge part of Tomodachi's appeal. When you create a game that incorporates players' own likenesses into a kind of simulation, there is an expectation that players can create a reasonable characterization of themselves and see the game play upon that characterization. Seeing these abstracted versions of ourselves form relationships and share personal moments, who might not do so in real life IS THE GAME.

I fall on the side of those who think this is just a basic feature lacking from Tomodachi, and the game is a weaker package without it. It's especially thoughtless to exclude such combinations when this is a sequel. However, if this is something you truly care about, and the game is otherwise appealing, the best thing you can do is buy this one and help ensure that subsequent Tomodachi games will also be released worldwide. There's no way Nintendo can make this mistake again, with the expectations of a multi-region audience.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
Thank you Jonny, for that post. It was well written.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Oh, this would be a good time to remind everyone of our Forum Rules, which are enforced in Talkback just like any other section of the forum. There is a way to discuss this topic and explore disagreements in a respectful way. Much of what I see above fails that test. We will moderate users who use personal insults or break any other rule. There's a reason we make you read that stuff when creating an account.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/forums/index.php?topic=27460.0

* You may not post obscene, racist, defamatory, or otherwise offensive material.

* You may not personally insult another user.

* These topics are strictly off-limits: politics, religion, sexual orientation.

(Note: A narrow exemption will be made to the above prohibition for the scope of discussion relevant to this specific news story -- posts should adhere to the game and Nintendo's response. This is not the place to step on a soapbox or lay out your platform for broader social issues.)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 12:24:51 AM by Jonnyboy117 »
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Soren

• View Profile
1.  Nintendo can do whatever the **** they want in their game.

Agreed.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 12:12:01 AM by Jonnyboy117 »

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
No Nintendo. You don't get to say "we didn't intend to make any form social commentary" and call it a day. The fact the game exists in this state is a form of social commentary. You don't get to make a game about relationships (playful or real) and offer a pathetic excuse when people raise a valuable point about how some relationships aren't represented in the game. You're saying the norm is for only straight people(characters, Miis, whatever) to get married.

I don't understand how having an option for same-sex relationships in a video game somehow pushes homosexuality into your life. But yeah, let's talk about how it makes straight-people feel when gay people can't simulate their life in a freaking life simulation.

Also, the "think of the children" hysteria doesn't hold water when there are plenty of "normal" children being raised by same-sex families.

I'll give you a hint: the year is 2014.

Nintendo's response to this was worse than silence. This blows.

1) If there is a creative way around it there is no problem...and should be left alone.  There is.

2) Deciding to not include something that actually could upset children, parents, and more because it is a minority position isn't social commentary it is applying to the norm.  (with still allowing a creative way to allow all relationships)

Seriously, how are you going to implement the sexuality gauge?  No I am serious for a second think about it.  Are you going to have in the personality quiz, This character likes boys or girls?  Or a sliding scale?  What happens if one of the characters becomes gay and the player didn't want it to happen or is upset by it.

And don't say they should mature because basically the media is attacking Nintendo because they are upset it can't happen...a child, or even young adult could be upset by this happening. 

It is just safer to not include it.  Nintendo shouldn't have responded it all.  It is a non-issue, and I don't think it even requires a response or an outrage.  It is a game.  If you don't like that something is absent, buy the version of the game it isn't absent in. 

Yes there is activists.  Do you know what a normal person does...they say Wow, this is a bummer, I can't have my character in a game be gay.  Oh well.  I can still enjoy the game for what it is." 

An activist goes to the media and cries out.  "How dare Nintendo do this, because this is 2014, and homosexuality needs to be recognized in all areas of life as normal and acceptable."

I personally think people being creative and working the game system to allow things is a perfectly acceptable means of achieving your life simulation orientation. 

« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 12:15:28 AM by Jonnyboy117 »

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Reminder: If you see a post that appears to violate forum rules, DO NOT RESPOND OR QUOTE IT. Report it to the moderators with the link conveniently provided in every single post.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!