Author Topic: Miyamoto reafirms Wii Music is still coming along  (Read 93175 times)

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
Re: Miyamoto reafirms Wii Music is still coming along
« Reply #200 on: October 16, 2008, 08:33:43 PM »
Apparently Wii Music is meant to MELT YOUR FACE OFF.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: October 16, 2008, 10:02:37 PM »
Is there a list of the complete set of instruments to be played?

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #202 on: October 17, 2008, 10:10:46 AM »
The comparison to Rock Band and Guitar Hero is legitimate when we are talking about what we hoped Wii Music would be.

Like I've said, I was hoping for a Band Bros. clone with all sorts of new ways of playing instruments.  Band Bros is a press the button at the right time game.

I can't speak for Ian, but what I'm saying is I recognize that Wii Music is a different thing from traditional rhythm games, and that's what makes me sad.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: October 17, 2008, 10:25:42 AM »
The comparison to Rock Band and Guitar Hero is legitimate when we are talking about what we hoped Wii Music would be.

Like I've said, I was hoping for a Band Bros. clone with all sorts of new ways of playing instruments.  Band Bros is a press the button at the right time game.

I can't speak for Ian, but what I'm saying is I recognize that Wii Music is a different thing from traditional rhythm games, and that's what makes me sad.

Don't you mean "..I recognize that Wii Music is a different thing from the traditional rhythm game i expected, and thats what makes me sad"

You can't blame Nintendo for announcing a music game and it doesnt turn out the way you wanted it to be, that all lies on you for expecting Nintendo to NOT do something different, when they usually do.

Nintendo announces a fighting game, we don't get a traditional 1v1 fighter.

Nintendo announces Metroid is going first person, we don't get a traditional FPS

Nintendo announces a music game, we don't get a traditional music game.

See where i'm going with this?
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: October 17, 2008, 10:27:27 AM »
It was a regular rythm game initially but during tests they found out it's more fun when it does NOT score you (scoring was the default until Miyamoto asked them WTF they were doing leaving it as the default when it's not the best way the game can be played).

The Ask Iwata interview sounded like after you finish playing you get asked how you'd rate your own performance?

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: October 17, 2008, 10:48:12 AM »
Where would gaming be today if Taito yanked out the high score from Space Invaders just for the pleasure of repelling an alien invasion?
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: October 17, 2008, 12:07:29 PM »
Space Invaders is boring with or without a score. Now EDF2, that's repelling an alien invasion just for the joy of making **** explode.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: October 17, 2008, 12:18:40 PM »
That's funny cuz from my understanding Ian is fuhmillyar with musak, yet he appears to not get it.

The fact that I am a musician is a big reason why I have no interest in Wii Music.  I hear all this talk about how this is a creative tool.  Well to me playing pre-determined songs poorly or well based on miming an instrument isn't creativity.  It's restrictive and dumbed-down.  Something like Korg DS-10, which is a clear non-game, is more my speed.  Wii Music is not a composition tool and is as useful of an instrument as those toy guitars Fisher Price makes.  And it isn't a game either.  So why should I be even remotely interested in it?

On the other hand GH: World Tour has a create-a-song mode.  So not only does it have a more challenging GAME to it it's also a BETTER creative tool than Wii Music.

Wii Music follows Nintendo's now typical design philosophy of dumbing down.  It's for people who can't play instruments, can't write songs and can't keep time well enough to play a score-based game like Guitar Hero.  It's for the musically inept.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #208 on: October 17, 2008, 12:24:41 PM »
That's funny cuz from my understanding Ian is fuhmillyar with musak, yet he appears to not get it.

The fact that I am a musician is a big reason why I have no interest in Wii Music.  I hear all this talk about how this is a creative tool.  Well to me playing pre-determined songs poorly or well based on miming an instrument isn't creativity.  It's restrictive and dumbed-down.  Something like Korg DS-10, which is a clear non-game, is more my speed.  Wii Music is not a composition tool and is as useful of an instrument as those toy guitars Fisher Price makes.  And it isn't a game either.  So why should I be even remotely interested in it?

On the other hand GH: World Tour has a create-a-song mode.  So not only does it have a more challenging GAME to it it's also a BETTER creative tool than Wii Music.

Wii Music follows Nintendo's now typical design philosophy of dumbing down.  It's for people who can't play instruments, can't write songs and can't keep time well enough to play a score-based game like Guitar Hero.  It's for the musically inept.

i was going to say you still dont get it, but that second paragraph has you coming SO close...
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #209 on: October 17, 2008, 01:30:44 PM »

I think this is spot-on, but the negative connotation it has is the big problem. So what if you are musically inept? It isn't a natural skill for everyone, and isn't a skill many people can even learn. So as a result you have a number of rhythm games that give people the feeling as if they are playing music. Guitar Hero and Wii Music seek the same goal, however their approach is much different. One is only better than the other based on your preference.

Wii Music has potential to succeed for a number of people, but I think many musicians will not derive the same joy from the game as the musically inept. And guess what? That's ok, because the game wasn't being made for them to begin with.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #210 on: October 17, 2008, 01:45:30 PM »
see, Mr. Jack gets it. Ian, you were close, like i said but you keep attacking the game thats clearly not for you. At least when Pale comes off as negative towards the game he states that he's dissapointed its not what he expected (Band Bros.) but you... you just sound like you're trolling, and we all know you're better than that.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: October 17, 2008, 02:19:10 PM »
see, Mr. Jack gets it. Ian, you were close, like i said but you keep attacking the game thats clearly not for you.

The perception I get with this thread from the people who are looking forward to Wii Music is that if I don't like it then it must be because I don't get it or Nintendo did a poor first demo of it.  I feel I do get the point of Wii Music but still don't like it.

It's the natural instinct to defend oneself I suppose, particularly since I was called out by name with my musical background mentioned.

My dislike of Nintendo making such a product is that years ago when Nintendo made a game they made the ultimate mother of games.  Sometimes they turned the genre on it's ear, sometimes they made something more conventional but perfected it.  Five years ago a Nintendo music game would have been incredible.  Musicians would love it.  Gamers would love it.  The only people that wouldn't love it would be those without the slightest interest in videogames or those that have no rhythm whatsoever (and probably some "Nintendo is k!ddy" people too.)  Now Nintendo makes the complete opposite.  And the Nintendo Omega Music game isn't being made and never will.  Nintendo isn't making a Wii Music for gamers that want a challenging rythym game or musicians that want to write and record their own compositions.  When the topic of Nintendo neglecting the core comes up this is part of it.  Wii Music is not just a wimpy non-game, it's the absence of a more advanced Nintendo music game.  I like Wii Sports but where's the more expanded tennis or baseball game from Nintendo?  Doesn't exist unless you count that Mario Baseball game that uses waggle instead of the real-time swing mechanics of Wii Sports.

And the irony is that Guitar Hero and Rock Band HAVE the mainstream appeal Nintendo desires with Wii Music but they aren't nerfed baby games.  Nintendo treats non-gamers like such idiots that they feel offering a true "everyone" game with difficulty levels and the OPTION of challenge and the OPTION of complexity will confuse people and lose sales.  It's a damn insult from a company that used to the most daring and cutting edge game developer in the world.  Guitar Hero: World Tour for the Wii has some jam mode in it as well for musically inept people.  That's a true game for everyone.  Wii Music is ONLY for musically inept people.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #212 on: October 17, 2008, 02:47:43 PM »
see, Mr. Jack gets it. Ian, you were close, like i said but you keep attacking the game thats clearly not for you.

The perception I get with this thread from the people who are looking forward to Wii Music is that if I don't like it then it must be because I don't get it or Nintendo did a poor first demo of it.  I feel I do get the point of Wii Music but still don't like it.

Just for the record:

I won't be getting Wii Music. It doesn't appeal to me or interest me in anyway, with or without my background in music. I can respect what its trying to be and trying to do, but whether that succeeds doesn't really matter to me.

As for the rest of your post:

I just don't feel like arguing it. Either you dont get "it" or you're just so wrapped up in your "Nintendo doesnt love me" attitude" that you'll keep spouting the same lines.

And really, truly, honestly.. I dont want to come off as i'm picking on you or anything Ian, thats not my intent. It's just you keep making the same arguments but they don't hold any water. Neither you nor i know if nintendo has any other music games in the works that might be the MEGATON guitar hero/rock band killer you expect them to make. You can't just say "well they're priority is the blue ocean" and assume they'll never make another Mario Paint-esque music creator, you just can't.

I'm done here.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: October 17, 2008, 02:48:03 PM »
Ian, the game you want Nintendo to make is something they already have, it's called Band Bros and Band Bros DX for the DS.  Even though it's Japan only, it does exist.

Just import them and then you'll have the ultimate Nintendo music game you've always wanted.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #214 on: October 17, 2008, 03:39:58 PM »
First day sales of Wii Music in Japan is 50,000
source
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #215 on: October 17, 2008, 11:49:40 PM »
Just got this in for review today ... not feeling it quite yet. The ability to play all the parts of the song is cool, however actually doing the playing is fairly simple and most times isn't very fulfilling. Anyone able to keep rhythm won't get hung up at all with the game.

The biggest disappointment thus far for me is the awful midi quality of all of the music. It sounds pretty atrocious and though I'm sure they needed to do it this way, it doesn't work in favor of the game. As of this moment I'm severely underwhelmed, however this is only an hour's worth of impressions. I'll keep you guys posted as I dive deeper into it.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #216 on: October 17, 2008, 11:51:47 PM »
« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 11:55:36 PM by Maxi »
Alexis, she/her/Miss

I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: October 18, 2008, 03:57:30 AM »
I actually think Wii Music is a very cool idea, but I doubt I'd have much use for it.  I question its depth.  After I play all the instruments, make a few songs, and send my friends a couple of videos, I think I'd be wondering what else I could do with it.

I'll be interested to see what Nick thinks of it, since his gaming tastes are very much in line with mine.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: October 18, 2008, 04:36:24 AM »
**** this musician elitist bullshit, i'm not dismissing the game because I create real music, I also like to have fun. There will be a way to make awesome stuff out of Wii Music and i'll find it.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: October 18, 2008, 06:05:35 AM »
Lol IGN
If anything, it's only confirmed my suspicions, specifically that Nintendo's first step into the music / rhythm genre is actually a misstep

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: October 18, 2008, 06:29:26 AM »
First step?

Mario Paint
Donkey Konga
Elite Beat Agents

and probably others.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: October 18, 2008, 06:35:27 AM »
Yeah, that's pretty bad on IGN's part.  Nintendo's made/published oodles of rhythm games, such as:

Rhythm Heaven and it's GBA predecessor
Elite Beat Agents and both Ouendan Games
Band Bros. and DX
Donkey Konga

A Majority of which have been developed in-house and all of them released in the past 4 years.  A cursory look on Wikipedia would reveal all, or maybe even their own sites games database, but IGN simply can't do that kind of research because it would destroy the message of "bumbling Nintendo" or "More dumbed down casual for casuals by casual Nintendo casual lausac."  No wonder nobody trusts the games press about Wii games (or DS games in 2004-2006)
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: October 18, 2008, 07:25:48 AM »
If you order Wii Music on Amazon you get a 20 dollar coupon that you can apply toward a future videogame purchase.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #223 on: October 18, 2008, 04:12:49 PM »
That is a pretty good deal.The game is coming out in 2 days so you can get a good deal down the road.RE4 wii edition for 10 bucks.Not bad.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #224 on: October 19, 2008, 01:02:15 AM »
Alright, some more impressions for you guys.

I explored some of the other modes of the game and had varying levels of success with them. The "Games" Mode has 3 different sub-modes, including the conductor mode, the bells mode, and the pitch perfect mode. All three are a bunch of fun, but have pretty limited life due to the very, very small selection of songs that can be played within them.

The drum mode is awful and adds nothing to the game. Playing the drums by holding a sequence of buttons is pretty damn awkward and it doesn't feel anything like really playing drums.

I'd say the biggest thing I walked away with after tonight is the fact that you absolutely MUST play this game with others to enjoy it. Playing alone is boring and completely mindless. However, with a group of people its great to build a chemistry together and hear a decent rendition of the song. Once you learn the boundaries of improvisation, incorporating it will spice up the song when playing in the jam mode.

All in all it is a decent game, but it feels like its missing something. I strongly, strongly advise avoiding the game if you don't have people to play it with, otherwise it makes for a unique and decent party game.
Check out PixlBit!