Author Topic: Rate the last TV show you've seen  (Read 1186270 times)

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last TV show you've seen
« Reply #4375 on: March 05, 2018, 01:37:43 AM »
I know the payoff for AoS is there. This isn't a JJ show or something that prescribes to it like Nu-Trek including STD but the journey hasn't been very good.

Given Zima is clearly product placement like the iMacs, it would be strange for it to be a discontinued present day product.

Yeah, I totally watch RLM. They arrived at the conclusion that it's not trek, Mike very grudgingly. Rich nailed it with it is a generic space adventure thing and ATST ATST ATAT. They didn't touch the story telling much but it's Plinnket level material bad. Mike was easier on it but he was really struggling with his cognitive dissonance. He wants more Trek and it even has the name but he knows it isn't trek. Its why he said he has trouble watching the Orville it is so Trek it's making his head burst.

Orville pokes alot of fun at trek. One of the things STD/Michaels is guilty of on multiple accounts including the ending is to give some speech or talk and have it convince whoever not to do bad thing. He outright say it never works he then inverts that by having it work but not trying to convince them not to kill but waste time arguing about their relationship in front of people who are trying to kill them, trying to get them to agree to their side of the irrelevant argument. It was a ploy to buy time of course but he took the time to setup chekhov's gun the previous episode iirc.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4376 on: March 05, 2018, 01:50:31 AM »
I'll tell you what Star Trek Discovery is. I realized during the Mirror Universe portion.

It's "Heroes" but with the Star Trek property mixed in. Especially the later Heroes seasons.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #4377 on: March 05, 2018, 01:55:08 AM »
I know the payoff for AoS is there. This isn't a JJ show or something that prescribes to it like Nu-Trek including STD but the journey hasn't been very good.

Given Zima is clearly product placement like the iMacs, it would be strange for it to be a discontinued present day product.

I'm not sold on this season of AoS so far either. So the payoff better be good.
Last season spoiled us all though. it was ON POINT from beginning to end.

and I might be mixing up my memory of flavor of Zima w/ Smirnoff Ice... but I never drink those things either. It's like a participatory alcohol beverage for people that don't drink, but want to hang out with the drinkers and pretend like their drinking too... so I may be way off on the flavor.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4378 on: March 05, 2018, 02:04:25 AM »
Holy **** fucking Heroes, good god, that collapsed on itself harder than a black hole. Some people blamed the season 2 writer strike but that season 1 ending was a 200% **** you. I genuinely felt conned for watching that show and you can't even make fun of it. Were you expecting a payoff..... nah **** you. I don't know how people could continue watching it and not only that they brought it back from the dead.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4379 on: March 05, 2018, 02:50:28 AM »
Ha ha ha! But do you see my point? (Heck Fuller was involved with Heroes so maybe he really did try to translate some of that series into his Trek vision.)

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #4380 on: March 05, 2018, 10:32:12 AM »
On October 20, 2008, MillerCoors LLC announced that it had discontinued production of Zima in the U.S., choosing instead to focus on other "malternative" beverages.[3] Zima is still sold and marketed in Japan.[5]

In February 2017, MillerCoors announced that they are in negotiations to bring Zima back to the U.S. market.[6] On June 2, 2017, it was announced the Zima would have a limited release beginning on July 4th weekend.[7]
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4381 on: March 05, 2018, 11:59:34 AM »
I swear they must have reused the sets from Inhumans or something. They stand out hard at how cheap they look even though someone spent money on it.

If you look carefully the Lighthouse is the same corridor and adjoining rooms as what SHIELD's base was. The isolation pod is the main room Kasius had his events in. It looks like they decided to hide the budget cuts by not building new sets and redressing all their existing ones and then keeping it on those sets as much as possible - its possibly why the Zephyr was still available, too. I suspect those cuts also affected the planned story.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4382 on: March 05, 2018, 12:52:20 PM »
On October 20, 2008, MillerCoors LLC announced that it had discontinued production of Zima in the U.S., choosing instead to focus on other "malternative" beverages.[3] Zima is still sold and marketed in Japan.[5]

In February 2017, MillerCoors announced that they are in negotiations to bring Zima back to the U.S. market.[6] On June 2, 2017, it was announced the Zima would have a limited release beginning on July 4th weekend.[7]

So we were both right. I don't remember seeing Zima on the shelf for the longest and wasn't even sure if it was still being made. Turns out it was discontinued a decade ago.
But the it would be weird to advertise a product in a show that takes place in the present, with a product that isn't actively being sold. Turns out they just brought it back last year, and felt AoS was desperate enough for advertising money to allow Zima a spot up in the show.

I swear they must have reused the sets from Inhumans or something. They stand out hard at how cheap they look even though someone spent money on it.

If you look carefully the Lighthouse is the same corridor and adjoining rooms as what SHIELD's base was. The isolation pod is the main room Kasius had his events in. It looks like they decided to hide the budget cuts by not building new sets and redressing all their existing ones and then keeping it on those sets as much as possible - its possibly why the Zephyr was still available, too. I suspect those cuts also affected the planned story.

Lets hope that S6 gets a cash infusion from the Disney Streaming Service so they can do a proper season within reasons. I didn't really notice the reuse of the sets, but I also wasn't really looking for cheapness in production values either. I've already accepted that they are doing the best they can with the little they are allowed.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 12:56:34 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #4383 on: March 05, 2018, 07:57:22 PM »
I still enjoy watching AoS but I agree that this season has been weaker (still a fun show though) and it is clear the budget was slashed, I'm assuming that was why the first half was set indoors. Hopefully this second half will do a bit more (maybe they saved money from the first half and will have more to work with now?). It is sad though seeing a show like AoS suffer from budget cuts, especially after a stellar previous season.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #4384 on: March 05, 2018, 11:18:03 PM »
I really enjoyed the first half of this season of AoS...
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4385 on: March 06, 2018, 12:05:20 AM »
If Person of Interest has taught me anything is that getting your budget slashed doesn't mean you can't tell a good story and two you can build an AI god without it being determined to turn everything into paper clips.

It has been a shift in what it feels is important. Right now it's playing peekaboo, everything leading up to the last 5 minutes feels like filler as it seems the surprise! reveal is all that matters. It feels like the Rick and Morty bit on inter-dimensional TV with mysteries done quick. It's extreme but that is the sentiment.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fzcA3RSVTQ (Youtube embedding in the forums looks broken)

The Hunter/Fritz episode which is hands down the best this season is the opposite, we know he is going to make it but we don't know how and it's all about the journey, how the characters feel about doing what they are doing. The two hugs and complaining about the rescue is incredibly effective. They are little bits of satisfaction and it helps earn that ending, justifying the reveal from last episode. It earned what it did ever step of the way. The big reveal as to the nature of Enok was about half way in but as far as the episode is concerned it wasn't that important or the point.

I usually don't care too much about sets unless they stood out for better or worse. AoS stood out for the worse. While I didn't make to connection with the reuse of the sets which is expected in a TV show it was really off and cheap feeling something I don't expect from AoS. If I equated it to Inhuman something is really wrong. The Krell rooms might as well be empty with a day spa feel and the rest of the sets makes the older Star Trek sets look massive. The cubes in the fight arena were there because something had to be in the room and it didn't even rise to the level of utility as I am not sure the audience could see the fight.

By Zeus, last season really raised the bar.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4386 on: March 06, 2018, 09:41:58 AM »
Person of Interest was an anomaly in the sense that you couldn't tell season 5 had a budget cut, but it still had successfully landed the show for its series finale (which very few shows manage) and used the talents of Michael Emerson and co perfectly.

I think with AOS, like Dark Matter, as soon as i saw the sets and their design i couldn't unsee it.

AOS has good actors and an interesting premise to play with but has been held back. I reckon with more money we'd have got the Zephyr out into space a lot sooner rather than in maybe a few episodes (and when it did, most of the time the camera was pointed away from the green screens).

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4387 on: March 06, 2018, 07:39:53 PM »
Back to the subject of Bryan Fuller... Quote from him at the IMDB bio:

I got into writing to become a "Star Trek" writer. I was a rabid fan. I had shelves and shelves and shelves of action figures in my bedroom that scared away more dates than I care to admit to. So it was really...if back then, you told me 'you're gonna write for "Star Trek" for twenty years,' I couldn't have imagined a happier career. But after writing for "Star Trek" for four years and bumping up against the parameters of the storytelling, which sometimes were very restrictive because there was always that magical reset button and you could never carry story arcs over the episodes because they were so heavily syndicated that it simply wasn't allowed, I began to get itchy and wanting to tell stories with a little more emotional depth, because one of the things about the "Star Trek" universe, especially "Next Generation," and "Deep Space Nine" and "Voyager" were that the characters were so much more evolved than we were that they wouldn't be terrified when they're looking at a giant Borg cube about to assimilate them. They would handle their jobs and they would behave responsibly and calmly, and I just had a hard time relating to that after a certain point.

I don't think making idiots and writing your lead to be so un-likeable only hardcore defenders don't want her dead gives a character emotional depth. For a super fan turned writer and doing some of Voyager's better/worse episodes he really doesn't get how much the system he grew to dislike saved his illogical story telling ass.

The magic reset button pushed so often in Voyager meant whatever dumb ass thing he made the crew do out of character or massive long term plot/character issues he introduced could be ignored and the good bit cherry picked. He didn't figure out the creative freedom he had as long as he could hit that button. Serialisation only exposed his flaws.

PoI is full of extremely talented people. Season 4 was a bit of a game in spotting where they stole a dollar. The big one was the "Control room" in the mental hospital. A darkened room, off the shelf projector, cheap tables, laptops and actors. I am not even sure the it even had 4 walls or ceiling. The other side of the game is seeing where they spent the money and then steal money from that too.

Season 5 looked like it had a very substantial budget increase by smartly only having half a season while still stealing dollars from the dollars they stole. It's a shame that they had to eject some plot lines, side characters and their development. Control is an excellent and complex character. Her disappearance while ironic I still wonder as to her ultimate fate.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4388 on: March 07, 2018, 04:02:07 PM »
It's interesting that he mentioned DS9 and the reset button in the same breath when that series very steadily broke away from that.

You're right about those POI points, i never noticed it at all. But given the nature of the final season it had to dump many things to manage the primary plot.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 05:10:49 PM by Plugabugz »

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4389 on: March 07, 2018, 06:05:18 PM »
The Doctor's mobile emitter is a stroke of genius for the character that blatantly broke pretty much all the rules.

Orville looks to have taken a stab at it by giving Mercer a revolutionary gadget that by the established rules shouldn't exist. He puts it into a drawer forgetting about it or to give a report though it could have saved them a lot of trouble later.

PoI was one of the shows that ate the cake and still had it right from the start.

Voyager in the late seasons especially serialised a lot more as previous events started to carry forward like Seska, Lt Wildman, the Borg saga, Delta Flyer, Tom and Torres, Seven of Nine and the Doctor's evolution. Who knows why it didn't happen more but it certainly wasn't some hard rule that couldn't be broken since its the premise of the show. The same with how unfazed the characters were. Could have made them more stressed but didn't.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #4390 on: March 08, 2018, 08:22:47 PM »
I finally got through Iron Fist. I just put it on while on the air bike so I could hate myself even more while exercising. That was an ordeal. Jessica Jones was released today so I’m three shows behind. I wanted to watch them in order so now I can start The Defenders. I think the rest will be easier to get through.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4391 on: March 10, 2018, 12:14:01 PM »
Agents of SHIELD 100th Episode

DAMN. This episode man.... they really pulled it off.
Daisy with the emotional breakdown about Coulson and SHIELD
Coulson with the initial breakdown for self sacrifice... and then his biggest fear. They actually tied his biggest fear to be that all the event that happened so far to be that it was all a "fever dream" and that he was still on the table attempting to be revived after the Loki Scepter incident. But how they used the events of the previous 4 season as connections to all of it was taking it to a much deeper level. "You really think your skull caught fire...? Or was it actually the burning of the electrodes connected to your brain?". They really have you going for a few minutes here because it all makes perfect fucking sense too
FitzSimmons They finally fucking did it. "I don't deserve you Jemma, and I already know I'm the luckiest man... on any planet" - The journey this unlikely couple had to finally become a couple you'd be mad if they never got to this point was extremely well done. And to know they they survive to enjoy it is all the more satisfying
Zeke The grandson connection.... I figured he was probably related to someone, not really surprised that it was the most likely couple of brown hair white people, also with a full healthy beard. But the confirmation was nice

Overall really good episode that might just break your emotional plane.
The 2nd half has already started delivering, I hope it keeps ramping up from here.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 01:17:02 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4392 on: March 11, 2018, 09:45:06 AM »
Soap Opera Illness is not a good angle. The conclusion to the problem of the episode was "Oh that's it..." which again weakened the clever things they did. Nice to see Coulson being useful again. The first half he was a bit ball and chain with his not-leadering or making plans. Some good emotional parts in there but the dialogue seems to be repeating a lot like they are padding for time.

The villains are not a thing. They get in the way because they get in the way while doing their own thing. The current people that are trying to kill them is doing it because they want to kill them, that's it with some evil for the lol.

The O'Brien must suffer vibe continues as they suffer for the sake of suffering.

They have pulled out of the nosedive for now. I really hope Zima becomes a running joke, got a couple good laughs and he really sells it.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4393 on: March 12, 2018, 07:23:25 PM »
Does anyone watch Counterpart?

Its a scifi-based but EXTREMELY loose sci-fi - the scifi is "something happened and now there are two worlds, the end" - spy thriller featuring JK Simmons in an Orphan Black-style dual role.

He is already a wildly underrated actor, but seeing him play these roles in a slow paced show like this so he really can get into it makes the pace worth it.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 07:24:56 PM by Plugabugz »

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4394 on: March 13, 2018, 12:14:16 AM »
I'd never even heard of this show until now. Thanks for putting it on my radar though I expect it will be awhile before I get around to it.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4395 on: March 15, 2018, 05:30:42 PM »
I'd never even heard of this show until now. Thanks for putting it on my radar though I expect it will be awhile before I get around to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3Bu2DOM66g

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4396 on: March 20, 2018, 06:53:20 PM »
Legends had another fun dark episode this week, with Constantine and with the bonus that if the show gets renewed he'll be joining full time.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #4397 on: March 20, 2018, 07:26:20 PM »
Legends had another fun dark episode this week, with Constantine and with the bonus that if the show gets renewed he'll be joining full time.

Did they bring back the guy from the Constantine LA series to play him again? Haven't kept up with the DC shows this season, and I'd love to see him become a Legends regular.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4398 on: March 20, 2018, 11:59:26 PM »
If Constantine LA is the one NBC cut short and cancelled then yes. He's the same Constantine that showed up on Arrow in Season 4 to help Oliver fix Sara's soul when she was resurrected from the Lazarus pit at that time and they met in flashbacks on the island like nearly everyone else in his life.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4399 on: March 21, 2018, 02:50:42 AM »
I've almost caught up with DC Arrowverse. I'm caught up on Supergirl currently. I'm three episodes behind in each of The Flash, Arrow and Legends of Tomorrow.

I talked a bit about how much I liked Arrow Season 5 and part of me still feels like getting into a lot of why I thought it was one of its best seasons but it takes a long time for me to type, edit and convey my thoughts so who knows if that will ever really happen. However, I have to admit that Legends of Tomorrow Season 2 was probably neck and neck for best show in the Arrowverse last season. Supergirl had a strong start and great momentum but then it slowed down in the middle and began to see some ups and downs before righting itself and having a pretty good finish. The Flash, despite leaning into a lot of its comic ideas and what could have been strong story hooks, just wasn't that fun or unenjoyable. It stumbled from the begining with its Flashpoint and the unwanted changes to its status quo and it never really could recover from the rough start that set the tone of the season.

However, with the current season, Legends of Tomorrow sits alone at the top. It's kept up its brand of superhero fun and is staying pretty smart by not taking itself too seriously which I think is a problem the other shows suffer from at times. That said, I do find the show faltering a little bit from the Crisis on Earth X crossover to where I'm currently at. We've got some characters entering and exiting and shuffling around and I do think it is affecting the pacing / dynamic a bit. As well, I'm not really interested or care that much about Malus. At the moment, he's a bit of a weird dud of a villain though he hasn't really had much given in detail or motivation to care about. After the terrific Legion of Doom who were as fun to watch as the heroes, Malus is a bit of a letdown right now. I also wasn't as thrilled about bringing back Darhk yet again but considering how well he worked last season, I was open to his return. Unfortunately, this seems to be more the Arrow version of Darhk and less the LoT version from last year. Part of that is because he doesn't really have anyone to play off of like last year and, like in Arrow where he had the "weakness" of his wife, his daughter seems to be playing that same role here. Nor do I get Darhk's motivation in being involved with Malus or how they are tied or what the plan is with the totems. Adding Constantine to the cast and possibly doing more magic worries me because magic never seems to work out well on superhero shows and I'm starting to fear it is going to bog down the Legends here as well but maybe my fears will be alleviated in the next few episodes.