Author Topic: 5th Annual NWR Live Podcast Telethon for Child’s Play!  (Read 12634 times)

Offline NWR_Karl

• Red Velvet
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
5th Annual NWR Live Podcast Telethon for Child’s Play!
« on: October 09, 2014, 09:47:00 AM »

That’s right - NWR’s doin’ it live again for the kids on November 8th at 12 Noon Eastern! UPDATE: Chat and audio stream now available!

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/38702/5th-annual-nwr-live-podcast-telethon-for-childs-play

The show is over now, but we recorded it all for you! Radio Free Nintendo subscribers will get each part as it becomes available. You can also download each part directly with these links:

Part 1 - RFN Listener Mail, Top Five Personal Games, Nintendoaire, and Unlicensed to Drive (Enhanced AAC) (MP3)

Part 2 - Radio Trivia, 10 Years of DS, and NFR's Start Tank (Enhanced AAC) (MP3)

Part 3 - Famicast, Shenanigans, and Box Office Poison (Enhanced AAC) (MP3)

You read right! We’re back yet again with a gigantic LIVE mega-podcast for charity. For those of you who’ve been living under a rock these last five years, it’ll be an all-day NWR audio event in which we’ll jibber-jabber to support Child’s Play, an international charity that gives toys, games and consoles to sick kids in pediatric hospital wards. When our milestones are reached, you’ll unlock another hour of live content. Check out the awe-inspiring results of years past in 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013!

You can make a donation by clicking on the widget above or by following this link.

JIGGAWHAT: An epic Nintendo/gaming-themed live audio “podcast” telethon!

JIGGAWHY: For Child’s Play, a charity that provides toys and games to sick kids!

JIGGAWHO: Nintendo World Report staff, special guests and you!

JIGGAWHEN: Saturday, November 8th at 12:00 Noon Eastern Time (9:00AM Pacific, 5:00PM GMT) until… you decide!

JIGGAWHERE: Right here, so bookmark this page, folks!

JIGGAHOW: It’s the internet. Maybe you’ve heard of it before.

Here at Nintendo World Report, we've long been supporters of Child's Play, the fantastic charity that provides toys and games to hospitalized kids. If you're not familiar with Child's Play, check out the official website and listen to Jonny's RFN Special interview with Mike Krahulik, co-founder of the charity (and Penny Arcade), way back in 2007. So, when our old friend Karl Castaneda brought us an idea for doing a special, live-streaming podcast to support Child's Play, we got excited. Not only can we do things live that don't make sense in a recorded show, like real-time listener interaction, but the lack of editing means there are fewer constraints on how long the show can run. Then we thought… why not do it telethon-style, all day long? It's been an amazing ride so far, and this year we're hoping to raise more money than ever for this excellent charity!

***If you are new to NWR podcasts, please be advised that the show is LIVE and may contain explicit language. We're doin' it for the kids, but the show itself is for grown-ups.***

Content Program and Fundraising Goals:

(Note: Schedule is subject to change before and even during the event. Each hour of content will be unlocked when the corresponding donation goal is met. Fundraising goals are totals, i.e. all previous donations are counted towards the amount. Pacific time zone is three hours earlier than the time shown below!)

12:00 Eastern - New Business: Our Impressions on the Latest Games w/Special Guests (FREE)

1:00pm Eastern - RFN Presents Their Top 5 Personal Games of All Time ($500)

2:00pm Eastern - Connectivity Presents: Who Wants to be a Nintendoaire? ($1000)

3:00pm Eastern - Jon and James are… Unlicensed to Drive ($1500)

4:00pm Eastern - Radio Trivia Live: Game Music Trivia Show ($2000)

5:00pm Eastern - 10 Years Later: How the DS Ushered in the Touch Generation ($2500)

6:00pm Eastern - Start Tank: Nintendo Free Radio Dives into Kickstarter ($3000)

7:00pm Eastern - Famicast Live: 'Cast Harder ($3500)

8:00pm Eastern - Shenanigans: Please Understand, Because We Don't ($4000)

9:00pm Eastern: Box Office Poison Live Part Deux ($5000 Stretch Goal)

Post-Telethon Stretch Goals:

- To Catch a Pre-Historic Predator w/Zach Miller LIVE Q&A ($6000)
- Connectivity Live Event ($7000)
- Radio Free Nintendo Live Event ($8000)

Check out our huge list of prizes!

Ways You Can Help:

1. Donate! This is the most direct way to help meet our goals for the event and support Child's Play. You can donate money before, during and for a couple weeks after the live event.

2. Promote! If you're a part of a community or group of friends who enjoy Nintendo or video games, please help us spread the word and explain what's so great about this event. (Always be respective -- don't spam on our behalf)

3. Participate! Listen to the live event, play along in the chat room and call in for interactive segments, you'll make the event better for everyone!

4. Prizes! If you've hit the limit on donating money but have some special gaming swag or digital game codes to give away, we could use them as prizes. Please email us with any offers.

----
Karl Castaneda
Associated Raconteur

Offline tyrian3

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
Re: 5th Annual NWR Live Podcast Telethon for Child’s Play!
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014, 04:55:15 PM »
OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG

*"It's the most...wonderful tiiiime....of the yeeeear*"

:cool;
RFN aficionado since 2008, first ever RFN live call-in and live show staple! Affected by the Lindemann Syndrome.
Add me on 3DS/WiiU :D

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2014, 05:36:30 PM »
Good news! I actually have a job this year, so prepare yourself for money!

... really wondering what that Jon and James segment is going to be. :O

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2014, 06:04:21 PM »
Excellent but ... where's the donation link? I need to divest myself of cash and cleanse my many sins.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline NWR_Karl

• Red Velvet
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2014, 06:30:04 PM »
The donation widget will be up within the next few days - now that our site article's up, it'll be 2-3 days before we get our event approved by Child's Play and we can start collecting donations.
----
Karl Castaneda
Associated Raconteur

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2014, 07:04:43 PM »
Yeah!

Offline yoshi1001

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • PIRN-Pokemon Radio
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2014, 08:58:23 PM »
What movie are you doing for BOP? Last year was the 20th anniversary of SMB, so I assume it's either The Wizard (25th anniversary) or Pokemon: The First Movie (15th anniversary). Either way, I'd really like to be involved. I know I can call in, but I consider myself very knowledgeable on both, and I think I would have a lot to add.

P.S. If it's Pokemon TFM, have fun getting a copy-it's been out of print since 2009 when WB's rights expired and goes for about $20 used. The Wizard you can buy off iTunes.
For Pokemon news and interviews, check us out at:

http://pokepress.blogspot.com/

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2014, 09:07:18 PM »
What movie are you doing for BOP? Last year was the 20th anniversary of SMB, so I assume it's either The Wizard (25th anniversary) or Pokemon: The First Movie (15th anniversary). Either way, I'd really like to be involved. I know I can call in, but I consider myself very knowledgeable on both, and I think I would have a lot to add.

P.S. If it's Pokemon TFM, have fun getting a copy-it's been out of print since 2009 when WB's rights expired and goes for about $20 used. The Wizard you can buy off iTunes.
Having Recently bought The Wizard for other reasons I can tell you the best deal I found was http://www.amazon.com/Family-Favorites-Collection-Henry-Thomas/dp/B00AMDA2O4/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1413248806&sr=8-4&keywords=The+Wizard once you took shipping into account.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2014, 12:44:37 PM »
Hey Jon,

You better be doin' your research...I mean this segment is going to be a dumpster fire even if we're on point. Let's not boost the odds.

On an unrelated. I have a number of satirical articles I've written over the years that were simply inappropriate for print. There are three of them.

I will release one them for each of the following: the 4:00 goal, the 6:00 goal, and the 8:00 goal.

First one up for release: Hyrule Warriors Began as a Sake-fueled Bet
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2014, 01:13:56 PM »
Donations are looking a little light, at present.
When I was a kid, I used to watch the Jerry Lewis telethon and the local Variety Club telethon regularly. A fun feature was folks donating some amount and then challenging folks in thier circle to "meet or beat" their donation.

So here goes: I got my $100 bucks in. I challenge all Forumers to meet or beat my donation. Come on, boys and girls, it's for a good cause (our entertainment. And, oh ya, sick kids).
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2014, 08:17:14 PM »
Thanks!

We'll be doing some hard promotion starting this week. Tonight's the first technical meeting. Wait for me to get drunk and try to yell at these guys who are rushing me while I try to set up VAC.

We'll probably stream it, likely by accident.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline readyletsgo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2014, 11:07:41 AM »
Wow, it's a liitle barren this year! I'll be donating something this week, so hope other listeners can too!

Listen to yous every week in Ireland. Keep it up guys!

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2014, 07:23:22 PM »
Just want to mention that the Start Tank has a special guest: Robert Boyd of Zeboyd Games (Breath of Death VII, Cthulhu Saves the World, Penny Arcade Adventures 3/4 and the upcoming Cosmic Star Heroine) will be joining us to discuss Kickstarter and help us with the perspective of someone who's been down that road before.

That is, if we can make that bar grow a little bit... $2100 is nice to see with five days left, though.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline readyletsgo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2014, 07:05:11 AM »
Just listening back to last year's telethon, such a great show! forgot Mario and Zelda came out the same time, such a great time.

But I'm hoping you guys will be doing the WiiU and 3ds report card again and also a review on the ' next gen' twins also.

Payday on Friday for me so I will be donating then.

Best of luck guys!

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2014, 04:22:10 PM »
Just in case you guys have missed it, we have a list of many of the prizes we'll be giving out here:

https://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/38944/prizes-at-the-5th-annual-nwr-live-podcast-telethon
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2014, 10:09:39 PM »
I will be getting in touch with everyone for their prizes and arranging delivery, but if for some reason you have any issues or something goes wrong along the way, please let me know so I can get that sorted out!

Give Love and Wing Commander a Chance!
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2014, 12:14:20 PM »
Soooo pissed that I missed the telethon.

I'll still chip in for the stretch goals, though.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Leo13

• Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2014, 01:27:31 AM »
Is it too late to meet any more stretch goals?

Offline Shaymin

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2014, 07:45:49 AM »
Any funds received will go toward the stretch goals.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline SonofMrPeanut

• (illegitimately)
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2014, 01:22:03 PM »
1.  The first part is now available on the podcast feed.
2.  I got to the part about further animated Nintendo content, and one name that keeps popping up in relation to this is Star Fox.  The cast and space exploration element makes it a great fit for at least an episodic series.  A purist might make it marionettes, of course. ;)
Mother/Earthbound came up, and if that were animated I think the Popeye Test Animation and the trailer for the upcoming Peanuts movie are the template I would like them to take with this hypothetical CG Earthbound film/show.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2014, 05:00:20 PM »
A Star Fox series made by the Thunderbirds studio could be incredible.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2014, 05:26:19 PM »
Only if they get the original N64 voice actors.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Shaymin

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2014, 08:46:23 PM »
Part 2 is now on the feeds, and thanks to the ex-mayor of Toronto* we will catch a prehistoric predator!

* not actually the ex-mayor of Toronto
Tutorial box out.

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2014, 05:20:49 AM »
Now that Segment 2's recording is out on the feed and in here, I actually want to briefly use a platform where I don't stutter like a moron and have a time limit to say my piece on Game 4 of the Radio Trivia segment. I think I'm going to make it a goal to get to speak with TYP and Johnny on a yearly basis like Tyrian does.

Demon's Crest is immediatley a more striking and dark game from the somewhat goofier character designs of the previous game. part of this is hardware limitation and taking advantage of the SNES's graphical prowess, but I feel that even Ghosts n' Goblins has a more frightening atmosphere than either of the Gargoyle's Quest titles.

If you just jam on the start button when you fire up Demon's Crest, you're treated to your slightly less scary ripped ass demonic protagonist being stuck in mortal combat with the sorrowful form of a decaying dragon. the way the possibly once majestic creature's flesh sags droopily while it tries to crawl after you and assault you with flames. escape from your prison with the dragon only yields to the foggy setting of some sort of huge memorial that's being patroled by none other than the Klu Klux Klan. all the while, a very somber organ tone plays in the background, making it feel much like you've escaped to somebody's eulogy.

Other than maybe for boss battles and the stupid headbutt mini-game, the music never tries to convey a sense of urgency or energy to it. if you go back to pieces from the original games that played in levels like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usNCwytMk9U or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMb8rhqeLyU , it's got a sense of foreboding and danger, but there's some march and bounce to these pieces. I love Capcom music being like this, but Demon's Crest I feel experiments with organ and harpsichord in a way that lends to the far more gothic look to scenery and sprites alike. It's probably one of my favorite atmospheric soundtracks in video games outside of maybe... Super Metroid...? It's kinda weird because I usually don't like the less memorable stuff, but Demon's Crest just NAILS it, man.

It was a great honor to be able to talk on behalf of the game, even if this is one of the few corners of the internet I go where it gets proper evangelic praise.

Offline KisakiProject

• Score: -8
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2014, 11:55:00 AM »
Hurray Spirit Tracks defense force.  That game has the best Zelda dungeons and the best characterization of Zelda.  Its my #5 Zelda game.  Glad there are others who love that game.