Author Topic: Switch Discussion Thread (Year 3: But where are the folders??!?!)  (Read 273846 times)

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
Re: Switch Discussion Thread (Year 2: Joy-Con Boogaloo)
« Reply #950 on: March 16, 2018, 06:37:17 PM »
Nintendo just announced “Nindies Showcase Spring 2018” for 03/20 at 12:00 PM.
Awesome, can’t wait to hear about that two-button fighter and Wargroove from the LAST Nindie showcase.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: April 25, 2018, 08:22:20 AM »
With Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Plus R and BlazBlue: Cross Tag Battle announced:

Arc System Works Promises More Fighting Games Are Headed To Switch

Dragon Ball FighterZ is Namco Bandai’s decision, but may we have Dragon Ball FighterZ, plz?

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: May 14, 2018, 12:56:05 PM »
According to Eurogamer, Leaks suggest Nintendo's Retro Studios making Star Fox racing spin-off.

Leaks started showing up on reddit and 4chan. Okay, probably fake. Then, Eurogamer corroborated it with its own sources. Looking less fake now.

It’s at least a little funny if true though a part of me hopes Retro Studios leaked this itself and the game is actually F-Zero (even if I never got into the series).
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 12:59:00 PM by Adrock »

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: May 14, 2018, 02:30:56 PM »

Blue Falco(n)

Golden Fox

Texas Brisket? More like... BRISKly paced racing!

Retro have been foreshadowing this for over a decade!!1!

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: May 14, 2018, 02:38:45 PM »
Sounds good. Can't wait to for the endless bitching that's going to happen online.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #955 on: May 14, 2018, 02:58:39 PM »
I'm not going to bitch about it or anything. I just think it's sad.

Like, this is the state of that franchise.

The only way I could see the product being redeemable is if it is truly a space-flight racer, where you have a lot of three-dimensional space to maneuver around opponents and maybe even transformation gimmicks like in Zero that help open up short cuts at the risk of becoming more vulnerable/exposed. Otherwise, just don't bother. Star Fox hasn't been relevant since 64.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: May 14, 2018, 03:30:32 PM »
I’d be disappointed, but I’m not going to complain. Switch has a good enough release schedule that Retro Studios doesn’t have to carry the same load everyone expects and wants it to.

I understand people being upset too. Retro Studios has more potential than being Nintendo’s franchise resurrection factory. Still, I’d like to at least see the game. What if this was like one of the multiplayer modes rather than the full extent of the game?

I am also ready for delicious internet tears. There’s no better seasoning than schadenfreude.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: May 14, 2018, 04:44:52 PM »
Sounds like the sort of thing everyone complains about but I immensely enjoy. Seems to be happening a lot in recent times...

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #958 on: May 14, 2018, 05:57:25 PM »
As someone who has experienced a reinvention of his favorite franchise that turned out to be mediocre and bland, I have no particular hope for Star Fox, which I already considered mediocre and bland. Retro may be great at making old things new, but I can’t imagine enjoying in-race banter between the Star Fox crew.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: May 14, 2018, 07:56:19 PM »
This Star Fox idea seems like a hyper troll job designed to piss off as many fans as possible.  It targets:

1. Those who felt that Retro's potential was "wasted" on the DKC titles.

2. Star Fox fans that want a proper Star Fox game that isn't terrible.

3. F-Zero fans wanting, you know, a new game.

It's funny because if you switch things around a bit and you have something would attract some major attention.  Retro working on a new Star Fox game or a new F-Zero game would create some serious hype.

I fall mostly into group 3.  I love F-Zero and Nintendo starting a NEW racing series with an obvious space theme when they already have one and it's awesome and has been neglected for over ten years is kind of insulting.  It's that very typical obliviousness that's unique to Nintendo that we luckily didn't see for a little while there.  They're going to get Federation Force like backlash on this and they're going to be just as befuddled by it as before.  Though Nintendo managed to totally turn around with Metroid so maybe this will give them a good kick in the pants regarding F-Zero (and Retro and Star Fox).

On the Cube Retro was the dev I was most excited about.  Since then they're probably the Nintendo dev I give the least **** about since they seem to specifically cherry pick projects that would not interest me the most.

But things are so different now with the Switch.  Fine, Nintendo, go make your tone deaf project that appeals to no one.  We've got third party support again, we can skip the odd first party release and still have tons to play.  I feel I'm so much more mellow about this stuff now.  For a long time if you weren't interested in a first party title it was like, congratulations, there's nothing new for you to play for the next four months.  That's not the case anymore.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #960 on: May 14, 2018, 08:05:10 PM »
I must be right in the sweet spot for this because I'm not as confident in the talent of the current Retro Studios team as a lot of people, I like Star Fox but am happy to see anything in the series since I expected it to be dead forever after Zero bombed, and I don't really care about F-Zero. I have to see more, but right now I'm cautiously optimistic.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: May 14, 2018, 08:18:36 PM »
I’m not into either Star Fox or F-Zero. If I had to pick, I’d go with the latter. There hasn’t been a console entry in 15 years. That’s crazy to me.

I’ve always been a fan of Retro studios’ art design so whatever the team is working on, my hope it’s something that really lets the art guys go nuts.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #962 on: May 14, 2018, 10:19:04 PM »
If they're picking up on one of the endings of Command, so be it.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline segagamersteph

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: May 14, 2018, 10:26:40 PM »
I know I am probably the only one who truly enjoyed Star Fox Adventures so I am cool with this. I never played, much less care for F-Zero.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: May 14, 2018, 11:34:11 PM »
The rumors are this game is like Diddy Kong Racing which is why they would have picked Star Fox over F-Zero.  If you're going to make a game that has a mix of flying, ground, and water vehicles, as well as Boss battles, the Star Fox franchise fits that gameplay much better.  Hell I wouldn't be surprised if Retro manages to incorporate some traditional Star Fox action into the game, especially in the single player so even though the game is technically a racing game, some races will almost blend the line between racing and rail gun shooting.

I know we haven't had an F-Zero in a long time but if this Star Fox racer is indeed going to be channeling Diddy Kong Racing with a full fledged Adventure mode then I'd easily take that instead.  We could potentially be looking at one of the most unique racing experiences in decades if not ever.

This is why I find it funny how some act like Retro's talent is being wasted when making a unique high quality racing experience sounds like a good use of said talents.  Hell, during the N64 and Gamecube era, Racing games were literally one of Nintendo's biggest genres.  Compared to last gen where Mario Kart was literally it for racing, and we all know the complaints about lack of meaningful single player in it.  So to get a new racing game with a meaty and unique single player content sounds like the perfect thing Nintendo could use Retro for if you ask me.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: May 15, 2018, 12:03:21 AM »
The rumors are this game is like Diddy Kong Racing which is why they would have picked Star Fox over F-Zero.  If you're going to make a game that has a mix of flying, ground, and water vehicles, as well as Boss battles, the Star Fox franchise fits that gameplay much better.  Hell I wouldn't be surprised if Retro manages to incorporate some traditional Star Fox action into the game, especially in the single player so even though the game is technically a racing game, some races will almost blend the line between racing and rail gun shooting.

I know we haven't had an F-Zero in a long time but if this Star Fox racer is indeed going to be channeling Diddy Kong Racing with a full fledged Adventure mode then I'd easily take that instead.  We could potentially be looking at one of the most unique racing experiences in decades if not ever.

This is why I find it funny how some act like Retro's talent is being wasted when making a unique high quality racing experience sounds like a good use of said talents.  Hell, during the N64 and Gamecube era, Racing games were literally one of Nintendo's biggest genres.  Compared to last gen where Mario Kart was literally it for racing, and we all know the complaints about lack of meaningful single player in it.  So to get a new racing game with a meaty and unique single player content sounds like the perfect thing Nintendo could use Retro for if you ask me.

Yup, I'm with you here. My first response was "Oh great, there's going to be years of bitching about this", but Diddy Kong Racing is one of if not my favorite racing game ever, and I've been hoping the rumors about a revival were true. My second favorite racing game is Excitebots, which also deals with transformations, environmental interaction, and non-racing flair around the main racing action. So all in all, I think this Star Fox amalgam has the potential to be great. The Grand Prix title is definitely lame, though.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #966 on: May 15, 2018, 06:40:44 PM »
I find that personally I regard certain genres and styles of gameplay as being more ambitious and grand than others and what's annoying is that Retro has gone in the wrong direction since they started.  This is a very personal way of looking at it by no means a universal rule.  I think of Metroid Prime as a pretty ambitious type of game.  It was really impressive for its time with all sorts of cool little details and the gameplay involves a single interconnected 3D world with non-linear gameplay.  DKC in comparison has a linear progression and 2D gameplay.  To me that's backwards.  That's the type of game that was ambitious in the 16 bit era.  Racing games I feel are more one-dimensional than platformers so this seems like a step back even further.  Basically Retro's games come across as less advanced, less complicated and less ambitious as time goes on.

Now I'm making big assumptions about this Star Fox game here but right now that's what this feels like.  Now older genres or simpler genres aren't bad.  I feel games of that type should continue to be made and it's actually pretty annoying when certain genres fall out of fashion and disappear for a generation or two.  But Retro's releases are very infrequent.  They made only two Cube games, two Wii games and one Wii U game.  "What's Retro working on?" is practically a catchphrase for a reason - they take a long time to make games.  So if they work on a project that's a little more one-dimensional or simplistic it isn't a small diversion.  It means that that is all we get from Retro for the next several years.  The last game they made I was legitimately interested in was Metroid Prime 3 and that came out in 2007.  Their excursion with DKC, which I just wasn't that into, ate up seven years of their output!

I think back to the N64 years when Rare was working with Nintendo.  They've make something like Mickey's Speedway USA that I couldn't give a **** about... but it was one of many titles they released that year.  That came out the same year as Perfect Dark and Banjo-Tooie and Conker's Bad Fur Day came out like six months later.  It didn't matter that they "wasted" time on a mid-tier title.  Unfortunately dev times are much longer these days then they used to be.

I think of Retro as one of Nintendo's top teams and you don't assign your top teams to make Star Fox racing games.  The top teams make the system sellers while the b teams make the mid-tier titles that give your lineup depth.  Retro could be making the Switch's next Breath of the Wild or Mario Odyssey.  20 years ago Star Fox Grand Prix would be the sort of project you give a junior team and they would finish it in less than two years.  You probably can't finish a game like that in that timeframe now unless it's a download only title or an indie game.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: May 15, 2018, 08:30:14 PM »
The people who made Metroid Prime aren't at Retro anymore. There has been a massive amount of turnover at that studio over the last decade or so. It should not be assumed that they have it in them to make a huge ambitious game in their current state.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #968 on: May 15, 2018, 09:58:42 PM »
DKCR and DKTF may be 2D platformers but they’re damn fine games with plenty of detail, the latter being one of the best of its genre. So Retro still has a great track record in my opinion, the sad thing about Car Fax Zero is that it’s further proof that Star Fox’s traditional formula is dated and irrelevant, which, when you’ve got Sin and Punishment to compete with, pretty much makes sense.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: May 15, 2018, 10:34:03 PM »
So racing games aren't allowed to be ambitious anymore?  It's rather funny how people have complained for decades how bare Mario Kart's single player has been and how Diddy Kong Racing blows it away.  So now we're finally getting a new racing games that could rival Diddy Kong as one of the best single player racing experiences in the genre and that's apparently a low effort not worth Retro's time.

A videogame doesn't need to be open world or a FPS to be considered ambitious.  You can make games in other genre's and still push the limits, which is what Returns and Tropical Freeze both did for 2D platformers.

Anyone that says Tropical Freeze wasn't ambitious cleary didn't play the game or never got past the first world.  So yeah, I look forward to Retro doing the same for the Racing genre.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: May 15, 2018, 11:44:49 PM »

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #971 on: May 16, 2018, 12:05:56 PM »
Retro's DKC suffered a lot from being released at a time where Nintendo had like four teams working on 2D platformers at once.  Retro's games probably were the most impressive but they were one of many of what seemed like a Nintendo formula, during a time where Nintendo was seemingly deliberately making simpler games.

The Switch having that one-two punch of Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Odyssey is like a Nintendo revival.  After a decade of scaled back projects Nintendo is finally cutting loose again and making big grand games that stand out in an era where everyone is trying to make big grand games.  The expectation is that Retro should follow along.  I have my doubts of a racing game being at that level.  I am however very curious to see what this is.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #972 on: May 16, 2018, 03:54:01 PM »
So just because there were lots of 2D platformers with different mechanics, DKC is a lesser game?

Also, Mario Odyssey is not ambitious. Zelda is, but if anything Odyssey takes a previously established concept and makes it worse.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: May 16, 2018, 07:43:46 PM »
I think what Ian is saying is that the genre was diluted at the time. Kinda hard to enjoy a gourmet hamburger if you have been eating at McDonalds and Burger King all week. So yes, it could easily make DKC feel like a lesser game.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: May 16, 2018, 07:59:38 PM »
I can’t speak for anyone else, but I would absolutely appreciate a gourmet hamburger so much more if I was eating garbage fast food all week. If anything, it would stand out more than usual.