Author Topic: Rate the last movie you've seen  (Read 1537962 times)

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last movie you've seen
« Reply #5750 on: January 01, 2018, 09:41:09 PM »
I want to preface this with stating I understand people have different opinions, and I don't say this to try and sway anyone's opinion about The Last Jedi.  I'm gonna spoiler tag the whole thing in case anyone is still waiting to see the movie.

That said, while the universal praise of it being this trilogy's "Empire Strike Back" is silly, it is a very good movie that used a theme (failure and how you handle failure defining you) excellently, dives deep into the character flaws of Luke Skywalker (how the legend of Luke compares to the actual man and how much his image means to the efforts of the resistance/rebellion), and re-structures the concept of Jedi and who has potential to reach the height of the force.

It doesn't matter that Finn's escapades end in failure, that Poe's efforts to corral the resistance to his plans get thwarted, or that Rey's parents are no-ones and that she was wrong about there being good left in Kylo Ren - there's merit in having them not succeed in their mission and learn/grow from their experience.  This episode is just as much about being a character study as it is about progressing the plot forward, and in that sense, they executed wonderfully.

[/size]
[/size]

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #5751 on: January 01, 2018, 11:27:10 PM »
For me, Poe is a dick coming out of this movie.  As you said, he can learn from his failures and grow as a character - but we didn't see that in the movie.  He ignored direct orders at the beginning and got a lot of ships and people blown up for almost no good reason.  Then, instead of being put in the brig or blown out a space hatch, he's given a second chance... which he uses to again directly defy orders, getting even more people and ships blown up.  He learned NOTHING the first time around.

That's not to say he cannot be redeemed going forward, but, in the context of this movie, dude is a dick.  I don't like him.

If you're going to go off the books with some crazy ass plan, that plan had *better* work.  Because, if it doesn't, you're going to have hell to pay.  Except in Poe's case, he gets to continue being the center of attention while all those around him are dead as a direct result of his actions.

They could *really* use this to create a great plot point around his character in nine.  I doubt they will.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #5752 on: January 02, 2018, 12:48:49 AM »
For me, Poe is a dick coming out of this movie.  As you said, he can learn from his failures and grow as a character - but we didn't see that in the movie.  He ignored direct orders at the beginning and got a lot of ships and people blown up for almost no good reason.  Then, instead of being put in the brig or blown out a space hatch, he's given a second chance... which he uses to again directly defy orders, getting even more people and ships blown up.  He learned NOTHING the first time around.

That's not to say he cannot be redeemed going forward, but, in the context of this movie, dude is a dick.  I don't like him.

If you're going to go off the books with some crazy ass plan, that plan had *better* work.  Because, if it doesn't, you're going to have hell to pay.  Except in Poe's case, he gets to continue being the center of attention while all those around him are dead as a direct result of his actions.

They could *really* use this to create a great plot point around his character in nine.  I doubt they will.

I don't particularly love Poe as a character, and I agree he fails in two chances to learn, but the third time where Finn wants to rush to aid Luke on the Salt Planet and Poe holding him back and recognizing that it's not a time to fight, but a time to run, to me was meant to signify he finally got it through his thick skull that stubborn-headed crazy plans aren't the always answer and understanding when to draw back and live to fight another day.

I guess the question is whether it's believable that someone can make the same mistake several times before it finally getting through to them.  I think that's more realistic, but I suppose it may also make for frustrating storytelling if that's something that's grating to you.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #5753 on: January 02, 2018, 02:46:30 AM »
I think a  lot of people think TFA is a reboot, but if Jakku looked more like a junk yard the idea of that falls apart. Aside from that, none of the other characters fit into the same Jungian archetypes. I have to say though the trajectory for the sequel to TFA could have gone into first draft The Star Wars territory.

NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #5754 on: January 02, 2018, 10:45:33 AM »
TFA is pretty much a reboot in all but name. It went out of it's way to destroy, render null or ignore everything that happened before. Regressing character development especially Solo and side lining everyone else.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #5755 on: January 02, 2018, 12:08:15 PM »
Just went and saw Jumanji.

It was very entertaining, but the entertainment started before the movie....
some 30something couple were plainly visible fucking in the front section. I could see her whole thigh and leg as she's bouncing up and down on the dude's lap.... praying that my daughter and her friends next to her never actually notice whats going on.

Luckily another concerned parent had already alerted theater staff, who promptly confronted the couple, with flashlights. The female had to stand up and pull her pants back on, trying to grip her blanket so as to not be exposed to everyone, now that the flashlights were on her.... little did she know, we could already see her before they brought the flashlights in.

but anyway.... back to the movie.

This is a direct sequel to the original Jumanji movie, which I remember hearing wasn't the case...
Everyone was pretty entertaining in this, and a majority of the humor was funny. Definitely a teen comedy, so some humor not appropriate for little children... luckily some of it will just go over their head. Videogame aspects were handled well, and overall a good time at the movies. Don't think too hard, just enjoy your popcorn and be in a mood to enjoy what you're watching. You'll like it.

That's pretty disgusting. And why would someone do that in the front section?  And why don't people think they'll get caught? Was the theatre not crowded?

I thought i responded to this already.... must've never hit send on my phone or something.

We were sitting in the front row just before aisle that separates the bottom just below the screen seats. We had full view of what they were doing from out angle. She was not being slick in her aggressive bouncing up and down. I'm not sure how they thought they wouldn't get caught.
TBH, I even waved at them right when they were getting started just so they knew we could see them. I'm guessing they didn't see me. If someone else hadn't gone to go get Theater management, I was going to go sit right next to them and make it very uncomfortable just so they would stop.... WTF would you do that in the front of the theater and not the back... actually, why wouldn't you just go sit in an empty theater (I think there was a showing of JL at the time too), or possibly a showing of an R rated movie at the very least, where there wouldn't be kids in the room.

BTW, the theater wasn't packed, but it was probably close to 2/3 full @ 3:15 on NYE, so not bad.
movie was good though, and none of the kids I was with noticed them doing anything, so it was all good.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #5756 on: January 02, 2018, 01:42:54 PM »
2/3 full is still entirely too full to be doing that in a theatre.  If there's 2/3 other people then maybe, but jeeze.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #5757 on: January 02, 2018, 04:25:12 PM »
2/3 full is still entirely too full to be doing that in a theatre.  If there's 2/3 other people then maybe, but jeeze.

I agree, back of an otherwise practically empty theater, or at the very least be extra discreet if your gonna play around. Hopefully you choose something a bunch of kids wouldn't be present at... but not everyone is as considerate as they should be. At least they weren't being loud... just visible. lol
if they had gone all the way to the very front row... no one would be able to see them on the floor.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #5758 on: January 02, 2018, 10:10:41 PM »
Sounds like Jumanji...

...Brings out people's animal side!!!
 :cool; :cool; :cool; :cool; :cool; :cool; :cool; :cool; :cool; :cool; :cool;

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #5759 on: January 02, 2018, 10:58:24 PM »
Sounds like Jumanji...

...Brings out people's animal side!!!
 :cool; :cool; :cool; :cool; :cool; :cool; :cool; :cool; :cool; :cool; :cool;

yeah, it's like they became.....
:cool; :cool; :cool;
a bunch of fucking jackasses.
YEEEEAAAAHHH!!!!!

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5760 on: January 03, 2018, 12:58:45 AM »
(I think there was a showing of JL at the time too)

You got me there.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #5761 on: January 03, 2018, 04:33:12 PM »
Glad we got this thread going in the right direction again.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5762 on: January 04, 2018, 06:12:51 AM »
TFA is pretty much a reboot in all but name. It went out of it's way to destroy, render null or ignore everything that happened before. Regressing character development especially Solo and side lining everyone else.

IDK I think TFA took Solo as far as his character could go. The end of the line.

Luke and Leia were definitely sidelined, but it was set up for them to do more in sequels. Like magical things like Mary Poppins rides and disappearing acts. Nothing lame like Luke using the force to pick up and AT-AT and slam it against a series of AT-ATs
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 06:14:35 AM by ThePerm »

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #5763 on: January 06, 2018, 11:58:09 PM »
Get Out - 10/10
Holy ****, why did I wait so long to see this movie? Easily one of the best movies I've ever seen. I don't know that it's very re-watchable on its own, but watching it with different people who haven't seen it seems like it would be a lot of fun. I actually clapped at the end.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #5764 on: January 07, 2018, 12:19:55 AM »
Get Out - 10/10
Holy ****, why did I wait so long to see this movie? Easily one of the best movies I've ever seen. I don't know that it's very re-watchable on its own, but watching it with different people who haven't seen it seems like it would be a lot of fun. I actually clapped at the end.

Man, I tried to tell all of you before this movie even hit the theater, and then couldn't sing higher praises after I had actually seen it in theaters as well.
I'm determined to get me a new white girlfriend that has never seen this movie and make her watch it with me.

This movie was seriously one of the best theater experiences I've ever had. The audience reactions and interactions along with the uncomfortability of a few select white people and mixed couples in the audience made this an 11/10 in the theater.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5765 on: January 07, 2018, 06:37:52 AM »
Birth of a Nation 2016 - I like to see when jerks get their comeuppance. Hard to watch, but there are some satisfying moments. It's Spartacus meets Braveheart meets Roots.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5766 on: January 07, 2018, 09:56:40 AM »
Man, I tried to tell all of you before this movie even hit the theater, and then couldn't sing higher praises after I had actually seen it in theaters as well.
I'm determined to get me a new white girlfriend that has never seen this movie and make her watch it with me.

This movie was seriously one of the best theater experiences I've ever had. The audience reactions and interactions along with the uncomfortability of a few select white people and mixed couples in the audience made this an 11/10 in the theater.
Haha that's awesome. I will admit this movie made me think about stuff, like, have I ever gone out of my way to "prove" that I'm not racist, and made things awkward by doing so, and stuff like that.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #5767 on: January 07, 2018, 11:55:04 AM »
Cannot say enough good things about Get Out.  Welcome to the club.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #5768 on: January 07, 2018, 01:21:36 PM »

Haha that's awesome. I will admit this movie made me think about stuff, like, have I ever gone out of my way to "prove" that I'm not racist, and made things awkward by doing so, and stuff like that.

Yes, immediately after the plot is revealed, you start to think back to motivations of certain characters prior to that revelation.
have one of these moments:

I have to admit, and I'm sure i mentioned it in my immediate impressions of the film but white girl had me rooting for her, especially after that Cop on the side of the road scene after hitting the deer. I was thinking to myself, "she's the one"... but then later I had to admit, I would've got caught in the same damn trap. She had me fooled. She had everyone fooled.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #5769 on: January 08, 2018, 10:18:38 AM »

Yeah this was a perfect theater movie. The main character's friend, the cop/security guy, was like the perfect audience POV character as well. People were yelling at the screen to nope the heck out and right on cue that character would call with just the same message, so funny. Saw it with a mostly non-white audience, I'd be curious how it'd play for a mostly white audience actually.

What's best about Get Out though is that even if you're the least woke person on Earth, it's still a super solid, tense thriller. And the layered themes of experienced racism (both the everyday kind, as well as the systemic exploitation kind), as well as the tendency of (white) people to awkwardly overcompensate out of guilt for past injustices by calling attention their non-racist views... well those themes are just icing on the cake really. Best movie I saw last year.

Offline apdude

• Not Robin
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #5770 on: January 10, 2018, 08:01:04 PM »
I think I enjoyed TLJ, but everytime I think about it I have different feelings on it.  Overall there were some things explained in way too much detail (to the point of bordom) and then others that they completely skip (leading to why are they doing that?) which forces the audience to fill in the gaps and then comes the arguing for die hard fans.  If you can just set everything aside I think it works as a film in the SW universe and does wipe the slate clean to hopefully craft some compelling original stories within the SW sandbox. 

It feels like they are trying to go in a more nuanced direction where its not all good or all bad.  I just hope they can drop the whole there always is a bigger weapon theme and the FATE OF THE GALAXY riding on some rag tag bunch which is already well traveled territory. 

Maybe smaller scaled stories that are more fleshed out giving both sides reasons for doing what they are doing.  Maybe that's the plan with the side story movies coming out or being planned (R1, Han Solo, ObiWan, etc...).  Maybe we can get some side story where the main character is the darkside jedi/sith/whatever and filling in some of there perspective on this dark-v-light struggle.

EDIT: And it just dawned on me. At the end they  used their last ship to lightspeed into the First Order armada. Why didnt they do that with all of the previous ships that they evacuated? The first order would have either stayed on to take the risk of having their own ships destroyed or let them escape. Some actual odds and genuine tension right there.

I liked the film but can understand why some might hate it. 

It's not his fault the new commander didn't bother to tell him what the real plan was.  I mean, what was the point of not bothering to telling your most important fighter that they had a good plan to escape the First Order.?  Instead they made him think they were just going to wander around aimlessly until they ran out of fuel, and when they finally reveal that they'll put everyone on the escape shuttles, never bother to tell him the First Order can't track them so everyone will be safe.  Instead they just let him think they'll be easy pickings, which is the final straw to cause him to mutiny, which ends up causing the shuttles to actually be easy pickings and the First Order to know the survivors are on the planet. 

Yeah Poe's planned backfired but the leaders of the Resistance were at fault for not even letting him no what the real plan was, especially when Leia finally reveals it too him he's actually impressed and OK with it.  Meaning if they told him it in the first place he wouldn't have done the stupid things he ended up doing.

Poe already proved he was a hot headed flyby unwilling to listen to authority - something that decimated the rebel army in both manpower and firepower - and he wasn't even remorseful about it.  Dude should have been thrown in the brig.  No one owes him an explanation for anything.

He was influential enough to lead a mutiny.  I think someone owed him an explanation.  It's bad leadership when everyone under you can be easily turned against you.

Well they were trying to play up the fact that the tracking could have been from a spy so no one could trust anyone else.  Imagine Holdo told everyone the plan then the spy could report it to the First order could just jump right there and wipe them out.   

Granted this was not stated explicitly that they were keeping it confidential for this reason but it could be inferred.  This goes back to my point about things being either over explained or not explained enough which was my main grip with this movie.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 08:10:53 PM by apdude »

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5771 on: January 10, 2018, 09:14:50 PM »
An interesting tidbit I just saw was about when Luke appeared and had the blue lightsaber, even though it had just been destroyed. Kylo never actually saw it explode, and Rey took it before he regained consciousness. Luke used it to piss off Kylo, since it was Anakin's, and he also made himself appear younger, to look like he did when Kylo burned down the temple. I don't think anyone caught on to either of those things, even though they were both blatantly obvious.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #5772 on: January 11, 2018, 04:14:49 PM »
Thought it was just bad and pointless cgi, since it's clearly not cgi when he's speaking. Seems like Kylo would be too excited to finally wipe out the Resistance once and for all to care about Slightly-Younger-Looking Luke from 7-8 years ago. Maybe it really is a good movie if all these things are up for interpretation. Is that what they call "art"?

IGN has this quote from Rian:
“[Luke] is basically tailoring this projection to have maximum effect on Kylo,” Johnson explained. “He knows that Kylo’s Achilles heel is his rage, and so that’s why he kind of makes himself look younger, the way Kylo would’ve last seen him in their confrontation at the temple and that’s why he decided to bring Kylo’s grandfather’s lightsaber down there — the lightsaber that Kylo screamed at Rey, ‘that’s mine, that belongs to me.’”

I love ThePerm's idea; would've been great to see him push over the AT-ATs like dominoes.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5773 on: January 13, 2018, 10:30:32 PM »
The Last Jedi atomic bombed in China. Massive surprise since China will watch just about anything especially with such limited number of release slots available for western movies without the "CCP hook".

https://www.forbes.com/sites/robcain/2018/01/11/7-days-into-its-release-chinese-theaters-abandon-the-last-jedi-dumping-92-of-its-screenings/#7cf573295cc0

After its hugely disappointing debut last weekend, China’s movie exhibitors have taken the big, and possibly unprecedented decision to drop the Hollywood studio film Star Wars: The Last Jedi’s showtimes by 92 percent, from its 34.5% percent share of the territory’s total screenings last Friday to just 2.6 percent this Friday.

I don't normally track screen counts in China on a week-to-week, movie by movie basis, so I can't be absolutely certain, but I suspect this magnitude of abandonment by exhibitors is unprecedented in Chinese cinema history.

Disney (NYSE:DIS) can credibly blame the fact that Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle and a slew of local Chinese movies are releasing wide this weekend and sucking up The Last Jedi's venues, but the real story is that Chinese moviegoers have rejected Star Wars: The Last Jedi like a bad liver transplant. The film earned just $27 million in its debut last weekend, less than one-third of the $87 million that the low-budget rom-com Ex-File 3 earned in its second frame, and it added only $7 million during the week, to reach a distressingly low total of $34.2 million in its first 7 days.

If The Last Jedi had been performing the way most Disney movies have over the past year in China, it would have held on to many if not most of those showtimes for its second weekend. The studio's Pixar animated feature Coco, for instance, is still going strong nearly two months after its China premiere.

The draconian decline in screenings might actually help boost The Last Jedi's per-screen averages, as theater supply falls below the demand of moviegoers who still want to see the Star Wars sequel.

On the other hand, it's equally possible that most everyone who wanted to see the picture in China has already seen it, and Star Wars: The Last Jedi will suffer a swift and devastating demise this coming weekend.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5774 on: January 14, 2018, 12:28:51 AM »
Wish Upon - I liked it. I liked it for the same reasons I liked the evil genie stories in Arabian Knights, and Final Destination. I thought it worked out quite well.

Emelie - another psycho babysitter movie. It was a 7.

Dead Body - A whodunnit. Again worked out well. I liked how my day went.