Author Topic: Rune Factory 4  (Read 13896 times)

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Rune Factory 4
« on: January 24, 2014, 03:25:40 PM »
Has anyone played this? I know quite a few people here were really into the Wii version, but I didn't want to play something like that on a console so I passed on it. I picked this up around when it came out, but only got around to playing it when it was announced that it wasn't going to be coming to Europe.

I've long been a fan of the Harvest Moon series, so much that before I came to NWR I was a very devoted regular on a forum devoted to that series, and this game combines a (so far) really good version of that gameplay, plus a dungeon crawler and some rudimentary city-management stuff. There's so much here that I can see myself sinking a ridiculous amount of time into it.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
Re: Rune Factory 4
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 05:06:50 PM »
I plan to get the game eventually... but probably not soon enough that I can post in this thread.

Plus, the three DS Rune Factory games were reprinted around the time this came out, and so I used that opportunity to buy them during the lower prices that come from being more readily available. So I should probably play what I have before getting the fourth game...

Not saying that's how it'll go, but it's what I should do...

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 09:57:27 PM »
I got it as a surprise gift from my folks this Christmas. I have yet to open it as all of my recent Wii U titles are taking up much of my gaming time. Once I beat Ocarina of Time 3D and wind down on the Animal Crossing front with Khush (trying for 100% catalog) I plan to break it out and make that my new go-to 3DS title.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2014, 01:10:14 PM »
So I finally go into this game. I really am loving it. Feels like new things keep getting introduced or, more often than not, I stumble upon the new features before the game has a chance to explain them to me.

Some people have complained about that and the lack of strong tutorials, but I like discovering everything through trial and error along with some exploration. The game is really wonderful and not rushing you or forcing you to do anything in particular. You can play however you want. I'm on the game's 3rd story arch and am in no rush to move forward. It is odd that a main character is "incapacitated" in a room while normal town festivities and actions are occurring but I like the laid back approach the game has for completing it.

It is a bit tough to balance the farming with the dungeon crawling on a daily basis. I really worked hard to get three fields rolling with lots of crops and did not focus enough on my animals so I have to develop the animals so they can better help me on the farm. I ended up arranging my crops so that there are dedicated "farm-harvest-plant" days and then other days with little farming needed that are dedicated to dungeon crawling and exploration.
My Game Collection

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2014, 01:55:08 PM »
So I finally go into this game. I really am loving it. Feels like new things keep getting introduced or, more often than not, I stumble upon the new features before the game has a chance to explain them to me.

How long, in real time, do days last, and how big are the dungeons?

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2014, 02:11:31 PM »
The dungeons are relatively small in scale. Big enough to finish in a day or two of game-time. I could rush through the early ones in a game-afternoon but these later ones are requiring me to leave and return two or three times. The nice thing is they have check points you open up that allow you to warp back from the dungeon entrance so that coupled with the flying mechanic to reach dungeon entrances makes world traveling easy once the overworld gets large enough. If you prepare properly and have good animal or human companions with proper equipment it can be much easier. The game rarely feels overwhelmingly hard unless you wander into a very overpowered area (which the game is typically good at warning you of recommended levels).

Just be sure to carry enough food. I carry a lot of baked RP (manna) restoring foods and just use my healing spells to keep everyone alive. If allies fall in battle you can revive them with a healing spell. doesn't seem to impact your relationship with them, thankfully.

Days last about 10-20 minutes I believe. That is completely me estimating on how long I feel they last. A quick Google search did not turn up a better answer. If you spend a lot of time crafting, cooking and forging then the times will be longer since the clock does not run while you are in menus. If I have a crafting day then I could easily stretch a game day to 30+ minutes.
My Game Collection

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2014, 12:29:53 PM »
Thanks! Bit bummed to hear the dungeons are so small again. One of my favorite parts about Frontier was how beating the dungeons took a lot of time and preparation, because they were all massive. The other games make them feel more perfunctory, which is unfortunate in most ways.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2014, 02:45:33 PM »
It's funny, but I just hit a dungeon that is taking me FOREVER to beat. So I think they will pick up mid way through the game as I am just past the half-way point. I think the game is good at slowly cranking up the difficulty and complexity of the dungeons. I wouldn't let it get you down too much. I didn't play much of Frontier but I do notice the difference there.

I will let you know more as I get farther along as they are getting longer as I get farther into the game.
My Game Collection

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2014, 08:28:52 PM »
How far are you exactly, Strat? Have you completed the first story arc, at least? Because pretty much every dungeon in the first arc was pretty small and boring.

I'm preparing for the start of the second story arc but I just feel like I've hit such a wall- I've dated my preferred wife but I'm still too unstable and not far enough to craft that wedding ring yet, so every possible avenue I want to progress down seems so far away.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2014, 08:48:43 PM »
I'm at the end of the 2nd arc and I am having the hardest time with the dungeon known as the "Floating Empire". I think it has mini bosses it is so large. So I think the game is taking a turn for the meatier.

You just gotta keep crafting things so you can eat more crafting bread. I lucked out and got the engagement ring very early but all of the women are as fickle as can be.

I was pursuing Forte but she rebuffed all of my advances despite a high heart level so I began going for Xiao Pai. THEN Forte starts showing affection for me and prompts me to ask her out on my first date with Xiao (she must have been jealous). Now, I am close to marrying Xiao but need her special events to happen first so I started pursuing Forte again for fun and to enjoy a bit of a fling before I get hitched and am dating both of them. I actually feel a bit guilty that I am dating two at the same time. Guess I am just bred to be the faithful type no matter the circumstance.

Just keep crafting and farming (because the little orbs will boost the level of a random skill) and trying to eat the crafting (accessory?) bread and you will get it. Or forge it from scratch if you have enough RP. I think any metal and any jewel will do it. I did silver and ruby. But you have to have the "proposal event" to be able to marry your girl and that is a freaking random event.

Just keep trying to unlock more seeds by completing requests.
My Game Collection

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2014, 11:15:54 PM »
Is it true that the events in this game are random? I have been trying to unlock the post game dungeon Rune Prana but nothing seems to be triggering...
"Nothing tips like a cow."

Offline Triforce Hermit

• This title doesn't make sense.
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2014, 04:12:57 AM »
Is it true that the events in this game are random? I have been trying to unlock the post game dungeon Rune Prana but nothing seems to be triggering...
Yep, completely and utterly random. First file it took me two years to trigger it, second one it took me a few months. There is also a minor requirement of having Amber, Dylas, Dolce, and Leon's friendship at 10, but usually it is really high at that point.
Sometimes, you just want to play a video game.
NNiD: Triforcehermit09

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2014, 06:00:23 PM »
It's 10?!? I thought it was just 6 or 7. The random events just killed the game for me after finishing the second arc. I can't unlock the third story arc, I can't get married and now the game is just a hollow imitation of Harvest Moon. Really grown cold on it due to this. And just de-randomizing certain key events (or allowing a player to somehow trigger them sooner) would have solved everything.

I keep trying to work back up into continuing but I just feel there is little to do besides farm and acquire more lovers. "Meaningless, meaningless! Everything is meaningless folly!"
My Game Collection

Offline Triforce Hermit

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2014, 06:51:39 PM »
It's 10?!? I thought it was just 6 or 7. The random events just killed the game for me after finishing the second arc. I can't unlock the third story arc, I can't get married and now the game is just a hollow imitation of Harvest Moon. Really grown cold on it due to this. And just de-randomizing certain key events (or allowing a player to somehow trigger them sooner) would have solved everything.

I keep trying to work back up into continuing but I just feel there is little to do besides farm and acquire more lovers. "Meaningless, meaningless! Everything is meaningless folly!"

To start the event, it is 6 or 7. But I think to continue the other stages of the event, it needs to be higher. I'm basing this off memory so I might be wrong.

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2014, 02:59:00 PM »
Ugh...that stinks. The game is starting to feel like a chore now as well.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2014, 03:08:15 PM »
I'm going to give the game one last major push after I finish playing Link Between Worlds. It was fun up until this wall and I hope I can find a way past it. I could always try and buy that multi-million dollar house in the Autumn zone to pass the time. I've just been trying to beat all of the assignment missions and make money while half-assing the relationship portion of the game.

I'll post some updates when/if I break the wall once I start up again.
My Game Collection

Online NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2014, 05:01:21 AM »
I didn't play very far into this game after I started it (yes, I know I started this thread, shut up) but I'm getting the urge to go back to it, though some of the stuff in this thread is making me think I should go with a different Harvest Moon game. Would those of you having somewhat negative things to say about the game advise against going forward with this particular game, or is it just the kind of late-game slog that happens with lots of games?

J.P. Corbran

Offline Triforce Hermit

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2014, 08:41:38 AM »
I spent almost 400+ hours into it. The random events are the only evident flaw in the game and also a huge part of it. If you don't get the random events required to push through the game, then it ruins everything. It is kinda like a late game slog in Rune Prana. Every floor has higher level enemies and you are supposed to level up a lot until you get to the end. Only a few enemies are new. Most are just pallet swaps. If you want to continue the courting bit of the game, then be aware random events ruin that too.

I'd say do it though. Still a very enjoyable game.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2014, 07:42:51 PM »
Agree with Triforce Hermit. Great game with a lot of diverse options and fun experiences. I believe I said it earlier but it truly is the random events that bogs the game down. The fact I want to pick it up and try to finish the random events shows how enjoyable this game can be. And playing it will make Animal Crossing feel old because the item management system is far and ahead better (specifically the ability to expand your bad and to switch/use items with shoulder button).

There are three major segments to the game plot which people tend to refer to as "Story Arcs". The first two are a blast and technically that is the end of the game. There is a third arc you can unlock but finishing it supposedly is less rewarding because there is less fanfare upon completion. It really is more of an epilogue to my understanding. This is what is tied to random events. Also marriage proposals being tied to random events have turned me into a playboy as I have almost hooked up with every eligible girl in the game--yes it has become a goal for me now! Though there are a few very attractive women who do not get to be pursued at all...very sad, still boosting their heart level to see what their dialogue says as it is reportedly very suggestive.

Go for it. I carry it around in my 3DS case because I plan to continue it once Link Between Worlds and Monster Hunter have tired me. I don't think you will regret it if you liked the previous DS/Wii titles.
My Game Collection

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2014, 08:15:03 PM »
So what does "random events" mean exactly? Are you saying that events that will advance the story or a character's story can happen on any day instead of set days? What happens if you don't notice this event is happening and you miss it? Will it appear some other time or do you miss it for good?

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2014, 09:01:41 PM »
You don't miss it. Every day you can check with your journal where you save and it tells you what event is happening. And they continue until you complete them. This is another fault because you have to do the little ones to move on to another one and if you do not know who to talk to and where to go the same event will persist and block others from happening. Thankfully they list the people involved and 95% of the time they are in the town or just outside of town so you just need to make a point of talking to everyone every day.

Talking is the best way to boost friendship as well. It is a little bit each day but that adds up and when you later decided to develop a relationship (or hit a task that requires EVERYONE at a high level of friendship) it is easier to start from level 6 or 7 from passive daily conversations than 2-4 from mostly ignoring them.

Any event that involves a group of characters involved in a story situation becomes an event. These can be about one character learning to accept a new concept to someone coming up with a new get-rich-quick-scheme. sometimes you get items for completing them and other times it boosts relationships. None are essential but they do add a nice flavor when they do not hang up your game goals and it provided character development.

The only "critical" events seem to be the third story arch initialization and marriage proposal events (which unlock marriage but you don't have to get married right away). To unlock proposal/marriage events you do have to complete several regular events involving the woman/man or interest. I had to look up which ones online so I am not sure how clear the game is on which are required.
My Game Collection

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2014, 09:25:20 PM »
Ah, okay, it doesn't sound too bad then. Perhaps they designed it like that because it made the world feel more "natural" or something to not have all the events so scripted.

I would probably use a guide for the game as well, I just don't have time to experiment in games anymore and ones like this are lengthy enough.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2014, 09:29:47 PM »
I feel a guide is essential considering the nature of some events and how broad the game can be. The nice thing is that it is very good at giving you second chances. Though, supposedly there is a "point of no return" but I've yet find it unless they mean between starting the "final" stage of the second story arch and completing it.
My Game Collection

« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2014, 12:45:05 AM »
I'll have to echo what others have said. The random events are the only gripe I have. This is a very fun game and I have sunk a lot of time into it.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2014, 02:37:59 PM »
400 hours? jesusfuckingchrist!
game sounds fun and I wouldn't mind trying it but...400 hours? jesusfuckingchristonacracker
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2014, 05:05:32 PM »
Wow,
My Monster Hunter U Time isn't that much.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Triforce Hermit

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2014, 08:32:08 AM »
400 hours? jesusfuckingchrist!
game sounds fun and I wouldn't mind trying it but...400 hours? jesusfuckingchristonacracker
Yes, I'm a "bit" obssessed with the series. I poured nearly a 100 hours into the second title and close to 150 hours in the third.  I never played the first one on a 3DS so I don't know how long but it went over 150+ hours.

But the series is really good,vastly underrated, and can pass a lot time if you don't have money for new games within the foreseeable future.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2020, 04:23:48 PM »
MEGA BUMP!

I picked up this game on 3DS and have been really enjoying it so far. It's a real hoot.

Online NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2020, 06:39:05 PM »
Of course I started this thread, despite not ending up liking the game at all.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2020, 01:31:31 PM »
I'm passing on the Switch version because I played enough of it on the 3DS. I never was able to get married because of how the final event to trigger marriage was completely random and it just never appeared for me. I got so frustrated I ended up getting multiple people up to the level to trigger their event and beat the game.

I'm just holding out for the 5th one they are making.
My Game Collection