Author Topic: Animal Crossing, what's soo good about the game?  (Read 16516 times)

Animal Crossing, what's soo good about the game?
« on: March 01, 2003, 11:05:39 AM »
The topic says it all. What makes this game soo great?

To me it just looks like the sims in an animal verison. A game which would get very reptitive within one week.

Offline AManatee

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2003, 11:32:00 AM »
Well, you're right, it IS repetitive. But it's not as bad as you might think. You see, you do repetitive things but different things always seem to pop up. The dialogue itself is funny enough to give it a chance. What makes this game so great is you can just kick back and enjoy life in the town, make the ultimate looking pad. Fish and trade items via password over the phone, net, or whatever. It's a very addictive title and I've enjoyed it since I bought it back in September when it was released. I admit, this game isn't for everyone, but my friends and I already have an AC cult around here, and little stories to tell about our expieriences in our town.
Yes, the game is childish, but I still enjoy it so much. It's the only game I have that constantly changes, and theres nothing I can do about it. Heh.

Oh yeah, and I'm 18, if you were wondering about my age.
"Gimme gimme gimme. I need, I need."

Offline Sleepyfoo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2003, 11:33:49 AM »
Actually, the only problem I DO have with the game is the fact of the weeds.  After about 2 months of countless hours i got rather bored and just turned it on occasionally, but then i was forced, yes FORCED to stop by the incessant amount of evil weeds that would keep growing.  But other then the weeds, it is a charming, addictive addition to any game library.  You should go pick it up.

Offline cyrus420

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2003, 11:35:25 AM »
its great for people that don't have the reflexes to play the newer action games that are coming out, or the patience to play adventure games. my mom loves this game, cuz it's so easy. but i agree that's it gets too repetitive. i quit after 2 weeks.
HTML code is not permitted. Special symbols permit some HTML functionality.

Offline AManatee

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2003, 11:37:13 AM »
I admit I dont pick it up as much as when I first bought it, but I've already logged more hours into this game than any game I've ever played. It was worth the money right there, and it really helped ease the Nintendo dry spell last year. I still enjoy my town though.  
"Gimme gimme gimme. I need, I need."

Offline Dolphin64X

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2003, 11:47:43 AM »
Really, if you didn't like The Sims, you probably won't like Animal Crossing.

And RPG of the Year...now that I think about, what game could be better defined as Role Playing Game?
"This town ain't big enough for the two of us," said one Xbox to the other.

"Heck, if Microsoft packaged that eight-minute playable level as a full game it would rank higher than just about any other Xbox game since the original Halo."
-IGNXBOX

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2003, 12:02:47 PM »

To me it just looks like the sims in an animal verison.
You couldn't be more wrong. It is not like the Sims. Play it, you'll find out how very quickly.

It is my favorite game for Gamecube. I am really looking forward to the sequel.

Repetitive? Possibly. This is my 7th month playing the game and I'm just now getting a little bit annoyed at the repetitiveness. And to that I say, 7 months is a long time, dig? Nobody needs be bitching about how it is repetitive, cuz it's not.     Sorta.

Really, if you didn't like The Sims, you probably won't like Animal Crossing.
Don't listen to that. Animal Crossing is the greatest. Everyone needs to have it.

You may be stubbornly asking  "WHY is it the greatest." That presents a problem to me. Because the truth is, AC is so good it's hard to describe in words.

Dude, just trust us, it's awesome. Play it, buy it. Now.

Offline Dolphin64X

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2003, 12:32:59 PM »
I don't know.  I mean, sure, Animal Crossing gives off a slightly different, more relaxed feel, but they are structurally very similar.  I suppose it can truly make a difference, though, with the Japanese perspective on life compared to the American one:

In the Sims, you must constantly increase your position, your power, your skills

and in Animal Crossing, all goes at your own pace.

But I still believe the games are similar enough to be compared to each other.

"Heck, if Microsoft packaged that eight-minute playable level as a full game it would rank higher than just about any other Xbox game since the original Halo."
-IGNXBOX

Offline Scyth3r

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2003, 12:33:02 PM »
I bought it when it first came out but I couldn't get into it.  I returned it after about a week...

Although I do see its potential and may pick up Animal Crossing 2.  The problem is that theres not much to do.. well actually there is a lot, but it is spread out over an infinite amount of days...

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2003, 01:02:17 PM »
i like makign my own wall paper and stuff...my house kicks ass!
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Dolphin64X

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2003, 01:16:06 PM »
Yeah, it's really something everyone needs to try at least once.  It is so unique, it just needs to be played.

-IGNXBOX

Offline RahXephon

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2003, 01:24:06 PM »
my girlfriend has played it everyday since it came out in spring.  We have everything, have not seen all the animals though.  Have alot of K.K.'s music.  Seen all the clothes.  I love designing my own clothes.  Caught about 70% of the fish and bugs and paintings, completed the fossil collection.  Have seen near all Gyroids.

And i still play the game all the time.  What makes it so great is it has no objectives.  I made a mock town and did the worst job ever with it, all the naimls hated me, it was very funny.  The only thing I don't like is the lack of rooms to decorate.  I actually have a cool upstairs theme now.  There is a path, to the other side of the roomed lined with torches.  On either side is tons of rocks.  At the end of the trail is the master sword in all its glory.  Anyway the game is great.
And i cannot in mt 1 lifetime begin to express how much i HATE the sims.  It feels like i am doing chores back when i was a kid.  I think animal crossing is the same genre, but on the other end of the spectrum.
Fry's Grandma in the past-"Killed., In an atomic Blast.... No sir I don't take much comfort in the fact the trigger function worked perfectly."
Fry-"There there, if it makes you feel any better, his body was vaporized, so there's no chance of him coming back as a zombie."
Fry's Grandma-"I'm no

Offline nolimit19

• The Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2003, 03:25:34 PM »
".....AC is so good it's hard to describe in words."

well said my man......well said.
A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue; but moderation in principle is always a vice.

Thomas Paine

Offline aoi tsuki

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2003, 03:41:20 PM »
If you play it pretty hardcore for a week or two, you'll probably get bored with it. i played it for about three weeks, then let my aunt play and cousins play. My aunt got addicted to it and got a Gamecube for Christmas, just to play it. i had stopped playing for a month and now she's got me playing it again. It's funny because now she's telling me about different things and it's renewing a lot of my interest in the game. Since there's no real goal, it's one of those games you can pick up after a month or so of not playing it and not have to ask yourself "Okay, now where was I?"

"Snake felt a hunger for Meryl blossom within his loins."

Offline GoldShadow

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2003, 04:58:48 PM »
Animal Crossing is one of those games you either like or you don't.  If you've read good reviews and can't identify them, you probably won't like this game.  And don't listen to crazy people -  one person liking this game does not mean everyone will!

Offline Sean

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2003, 06:00:01 PM »
I truly think that Animal Crossing is one of the most universally enjoyable games, but it's also the most easily misrepresented based on what it LOOKS like and certain stereotypes.  Universally enjoyable because almost every naysayer who REALLY gives it a chance finds himself taken in by it--and his life destroyed.

Rent the game, play it for at least two hours, and you'll be able to decide if you like it or not.  Factor in the almost scores of NES games, the multiplayer aspect, the interesting GBA connectivity, the charm (if at times annoying) quality of the townspeople, the open-endedness, and the level of VERY STRANGE satisfaction you get from designing your own home and decorating it and collecting STUFF to fill the house with and you've got one of the most fascinatingly addictive games ever created.  However, it does get repetitive.

That said, I played this game every day for a month and a half, well over 150 hours, and I still enjoy it to this day, but the weeds overtook my town after a couple week absence.    Anyway, it's almost impossible to describe why you will like this game, but it's true: give it a real chance and you most likely WILL like it.  It's just a miraculous enigma.
"I think that if the devil does not exist,
and man has therefore created him,
he has created him in his own image and likeness."
from Fyodor Dostoevsky's THE BROTHERS KARAMAZOV

Offline Squall

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2003, 06:07:58 PM »
I kind've get frustrated playing Animal Crossing, because it has so much potential you can't help but feel it's lacking in every single way.  Sure, there's lots of variety in the graphics and it has a nice style, but they suck.  There's a huge variety of music, but it's very low quality (sound-wise and the songs are way too short).  I can decorate my house however I want, but it's still just 2 floors of square rooms.  There's always something to do, but fishing, catching bugs and running errands are all easy.  But I still play it every single day (I got it the day it came out).  It's easy and challenging and straight forward and wide open all at the same time.  I love it. So much so I almost don't want a sequel to come out because I don't want to leave my town!  How many games can you say that about?

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2003, 09:37:02 PM »
*sad face*
If only Nintendo didn't hate Europe, I would actually know what all the fuss is about. Hell, I'd get it just for the NES games contained within. Oh well, The Sims on PS2 will have to do.... *Builds house without shower or toilet*

"GO TO BED YOU STINKY SH!TS!"

Offline Modulus-X

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2003, 07:19:54 AM »
The fact that your girlfriend will get into video games is whats good about it.  My gf started playing it last night, and she was like "wow this is really cool".
-=[Modulus-X]=-

Currently Playing: Zelda: The Wind Waker, WarCraft 3 Expansion Beta, Star Wars Galaxies Beta

Offline SriramSiv

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2003, 10:57:13 AM »
It surprises me to see so many people complain about the weeds. You do know that you dont have to dig em up right, you can just press b to pull them out of the ground.

Oh yeah, and this is much better than the sims, mainly cause its affected by time and you can go out of your house. Also, the furniture takes forever to collects and your character doesnt dissapear for alf of the day like in the sims.

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2003, 11:01:32 AM »
Heh, you could always not get your Sim a job. Ahh, creating a lazy prick and have him play the PC all day. Sounds like me!
The sad part was eventually he got too depressed from lack of interaction with real people, eventually I got pissed off with him and locked him in a room for four days. He died good.

Offline WhoDey

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2003, 12:06:23 PM »
This is one game that everyone just needs to try out for themselves, even if you think it sounds stupid/childish/repetitive, whatever. I'm certainly not saying that everyone that plays it will fall in love with it. I can certainly see some people just thinking it's boring. However, I'm sure there are a ton of gamers out there that will never give it a chance that would end up becoming addicted to it if they just tried it.

I've had the game since launch and to this day rarely miss a day of playing it. That's almost 6 months of solid playing and I'm still not tired of it. I have 16 other GC games and I can honestly say that none of the other ones have held my interest more than two months. You beat them and move on to the next game. This isn't how AC works. You can't beat it, you just live it. There is no replaying levels trying to get through them, no frustrating bosses, no timer to beat....you just leisurely play, whatever way you want to. Actually, I'm having trouble keeping up with other releases because AC has been my primary game since its launch...even with having brand new copies of Star Fox, Metroid, and Resident Evil 0 in that time. Sure I play them but AC is the game that gets played first every day.

There is definite repetition but there's just enough variety to keep me interested. I've probably seen some of the comments the animals make over 50 times each. But then an animal will say something I've never read before that will make me take notice. Not only that but their conversations will center on the time of year or an upcoming holiday which is cool and means you've got a solid year of seeing new things.

I'm 30 years old and own all the Nintendo systems back to the NES. I've probably got over 140 games for these Nintendo systems and yet Animal Crossing is my favorite of all time. I encourage everyone to atleast give it a chance.

Offline JSR

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2003, 12:55:50 PM »
I got Animal Crossing when it released (I preordered it) and I’ve loved it since. You can do whatever you want whenever you want. I do find it a bit repetitive, but when that happens I just don’t play for a couple of days.

As for AC compared to The Sims, I feel that AC is very different. I bought The Sims a while back and thought it was okay. But when I got Animal Crossing I fell in love with it instantly! One of the aspects of AC that The Sims doesn’t have is there is just more to do. You can play NES, go fishing, go bug catching, runs errands, design clothes and wallpaper, write letters, etc. Plus you can talk to neighbors and interact with them more. That’s why I think AC is way better than The Sims.
It's Random and It's Nintendo - Random Nintendo

Offline Rancid Planet

• Hobo pill hypnotizes over the internet
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
Re: Animal Crossing, what's soo good about the game?
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2019, 07:10:52 PM »
God Animal Crossing was so major back when it first came out for the cube.

I think it's damn near all we talked about for a month.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2019, 08:42:34 PM »
Animal Crossing changed paradigms, man...

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2019, 12:06:51 PM »
I still don’t know what makes this series good and seeing people unable to describe its positive traits more than a decade ago makes me strangely... even less inclined to try it.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2019, 05:49:24 PM »
87-Year-Old Grandma Shows Her 3500+ Hour Animal Crossing Town

Hello Nintendo, can we get a new AC?
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2019, 01:55:57 PM »
Talking Cats. Muff said
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline kaijugamer

• Spambot
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2019, 08:31:11 PM »
It's a pretty laid back social simulation game. You can set your own goal at your own pace because there's no definitive objective. It can reinforce positive communication and social skills compare to what Sims does. As an introvert, this is one of a few games that help me gain self-esteem. And also, no salt because there's no losing here.

Offline Rancid Planet

• Hobo pill hypnotizes over the internet
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2019, 01:51:51 AM »

It's a pretty laid back social simulation game. You can set your own goal at your own pace because there's no definitive objective. It can reinforce positive communication and social skills compare to what Sims does. As an introvert, this is one of a few games that help me gain self-esteem. And also, no salt because there's no losing here.

See?

It only took 16 years and someone finally came up with a succinct answer to this thread title.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2019, 02:58:02 AM »
well there's losing money on the turnip market. how is that for losing?

Offline kaijugamer

• Spambot
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2019, 07:21:23 PM »
But it won't make you as salty as losing a match against a Lv. 9 CPU in Smash.  ;D

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2019, 01:29:01 PM »
Dear God, I've gotten into New Leaf again.

I have the last Nook store upgrade and the fortune teller's shop coming up now.

Also, nobody tell Khush, but the welcome amiibo update added some new items so he doesn't have a complete catalog anymore. ;)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2019, 01:43:11 PM »
New Leaf is the only thing I've played on my 3DS in months. I still try to check in most days. Right now a lot of my effort has been going into growing gold roses to line all my roads.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2019, 06:49:04 PM »
Kidd and Elmer are idiots who need to move their houses so I can move one of my bridges closer to the waterfall.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2019, 01:23:40 PM »
Eugene, I like you, I like you a lot, I roleplayed as you in the Animal Crossing mafia game, but your interior decorating SUCKS.

What is that Wallpaper and Floor? Like what is this ****? You're obviously trying to start a band or something but than you think "Oh, I'll just draw a maze on the wall and floor, That'll be fine."

It is not fine Eugene. It is NOT fine at all.

Someone gave me a second copy of this game and since I have a second 3DS I can pull some real shenanigans and break this game's economy into pieces.

The second town's name is eaglelnd and I am totally not at all planning to just plant a **** ton of perfect cherry trees everywhere and totally neglect the town while I milk the place dry for profit.