Author Topic: 3DS Pedometer Discussion  (Read 21324 times)

Offline dustburn

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
3DS Pedometer Discussion
« on: January 06, 2012, 03:27:25 AM »
I use the pedometer on the 3DS constantly to track my walking. In fact, since launch on 3/31/11 I have walked 1,619,632 steps with a daily high of 34,093. Feel free to post your high as well. Anyways, I really would like them to upgrade and tweak the app in future system upgrades. That would be so excellent. I mean, I love coins, but really, who doesn't walk 1,000 steps a day anyways? Bigger rewards for reaching the doctor recommended 10,000 step total? That would be excellent! Or how about online leader boards complete with totals? I mean, a whole mess of stuff could be done to make it more versatile. How about a game that accesses the amount that you walk and convert that into bonuses in the game itself? Any ideas from the rest of you? What do you think?

Offline bhurak

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
Re: 3DS Pedometer Discussion
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 01:34:52 PM »
Seems to easy to cheat, though.  You can just shake the thing to fool it into getting the coins.  In some ways, I think this actually makes the low limit smart - why bother sitting there shaking it when if you just put it in your pocket today you'll get to 1000.  And getting you to carry it with you seems to be what Nintendo really wants.  (and so do I as a poor Zero StreetPass 3DS owner!)

That said, it's fun to look at the stats, and comparing with friends could be a fun improvement.  How accurate do you think it is? I haven't ever really tested it.

Offline Nintendad

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 05:50:36 PM »
I saw this post right before I went on a walk so decided to test it. After coming home, my pedometer read 9,050 steps while my 3DS read 8,810. Not bad.

My steps are at 1,555,000 starting from 4/5/11. Unfortunately I have 1 month where I only played the 3DS a few hours and never carried it with me. I take it with me everywhere now...don't want to lose a Street Pass!

I think it would be be cool getting some kind of gift for reaching 10,000 steps in a day. Maybe a puzzle piece for a puzzle that only only be put together using pieces obtained by walking 10,000 steps a day. Online leader boards would also be cool, especially if it included the people on your friend's list.

Of course people could cheat but if they wanted to shake the 3DS 10,000 times, let them go for it ;)

Offline bhurak

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 06:27:48 PM »
Nice experimental testing! I'm at 37900 since Christmas... Max in a day so far was only 6000 for me.  Guess I'll have to shake it when they start offering prizes! :)

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 07:23:59 PM »
I don't know how the 3DS pedometer fares, but Iowa State researchers found that the PokeWalker is more accurate than some other dedicated pedometers.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline finchiekins

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 10:54:54 PM »

I thought i walked with my 3DS a lot, and i'm only at 559,473 since 3/29. I'm even a little embarrassed to say my record day was only 8,248 steps after seeing dustburn's 34,093!

I usually carry it with me on my bike ride to and from work, but sometimes i forget, and i just don't feel like it's worth carrying around after i reach my 10 coins. After i beat Find Mii and got all the puzzle pieces before the update, i stopped carrying it with me. It's too big to comfortably carry with my keys, wallet, and phone. If i was still earning coins i'd do it anyway!
I think it'd be as much or more of a real pain to sit and shake the thing to reach 10,000 steps as it would be to actually walk around with it.
3DS Friend Code: 0259-0305-2221

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, 10:59:23 PM »
I think my pedometer is broken.

It doesn't matter how fast, how far, or which direction I walk in, it seems to always show that the young kids are getting further and further away from me.  I just can't find them.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2012, 03:19:09 AM »
LOL

maybe you should get your van back

Offline Nintendad

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2012, 11:07:44 AM »

I usually carry it with me on my bike ride to and from work, but sometimes i forget, and i just don't feel like it's worth carrying around after i reach my 10 coins. After i beat Find Mii and got all the puzzle pieces before the update, i stopped carrying it with me. It's too big to comfortably carry with my keys, wallet, and phone. If i was still earning coins i'd do it anyway!

If I wear jeans it's a definite problem. While the 3DS is small, it's not that small. However, I usually wear cargo pants/shorts with numerous pockets so that works out well for me.

Offline xcwarrior

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2012, 11:43:36 PM »
I think the 3DS Pedometer is more accurate than the Pokewalker if nothing. I generally keep both in my pocket during the work day, and somehow magically the Pokewalker was getting more steps every time.

To save battery life now, once I get to 1000+ steps, I turn the 3DS off since I am stuck in an office and streetpasses won't be happening in there at least.
Nintendo ID: XCWarrior
3DS code: 1289-8376-3350. PM me if you want to swap.
Steam and backloggery.com are also: XCWarrior

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2012, 01:14:09 AM »
Once you hit 1000 steps, set your 3DS to tomorrow and collect another 1000 steps.
Just make sure you change your date back before doing anything date dependent like Swapnote.

Offline maria adams

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2012, 06:06:01 AM »
I use the pedometer on the 3DS constantly to track my walking. I checked and it is showing me 1,000,632 steps with a daily high of 24,093.

Offline xcwarrior

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2012, 04:58:10 PM »
I use the pedometer on the 3DS constantly to track my walking. I checked and it is showing me 1,000,632 steps with a daily high of 24,093.

Wow that is impressive. My Pokemon walker is that impressive, but to save battery life, if I'm not in a public area, I shut my 3DS after 1000 steps or so. Despite that, I think I have close to 700,000 and I picked up a 3DS about a year ago today.
Nintendo ID: XCWarrior
3DS code: 1289-8376-3350. PM me if you want to swap.
Steam and backloggery.com are also: XCWarrior

Offline Nintendad

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2012, 06:40:35 PM »
I'm now at 3.6 million steps. I take it with me everywhere and walk a lot. Even upgrading to the XL has not stopped me from carrying it.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2012, 07:50:27 PM »
If I had a coin in NSMB2 for every step I took...

I'd only have 87, 651 coins... T-T
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline TheFleece

• K.K. Slider Vinyl Collector
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
    • I Draw Machine Foods
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2012, 03:52:38 AM »
I like the Pedometer feature in the 3DS, but my girl always complains that it isn't as accurate as our pedometers for Personal Trainer Walking. The PokeWalker is great, but those pedometers are basically the same hardware, but without the Pokemon interface and may even be more accurate. Check the Iwata Asks: http://personaltrainerwalking.com/iwata-asks/section-1.html
My battery has died in my PTW pedometer and I've been lazy to replace it and also settling for my 3DS pedometer because I take it everywhere with me.
My total steps are 1,848,879 and my daily high averages about 6-8,000 steps a day.
Handhelds at Heart
---
It's like a finger pointing away to the moon....
You don't want no part of this ***!
Animal Crossing New Leaf Pics