Author Topic: et tu, Toys R Us? Retail getting hit pretty hard lately thread  (Read 25901 times)

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
Re: et tu, Toys R Us? Retail getting hit pretty hard lately thread
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2018, 09:12:28 PM »
I predict most retail stores except a handful will go out of business. You can expect companies like Wal-mart and maybe Target to stick around, but most will go out.

Food places, Furniture places. Places that do stuff you cant really get online will stay in business. If I we're running a mall I'd get really creative with how I run things.

A good number of malls raised their rent, this caused some businesses in my mall to vanish,  but what they should have done is selectively find business that attract people to the mall for the mall ambience and given them temporary free rent. Most of the mall's business is just rent. If business stop paying rent all together then you don't make any money. It would be better to give them a break than to let them permanently get destroyed. You don't want your long term income to be eliminated. I would take a temporary loss for a long term gain.

I go the mall and I think about how out of the many stores in the mall, only 2 are ones I would buy stuff at. Gamestop and Hot Topic. And maybe not even Hot Topic, I hate their T-shirt material. It's too thin. I'm not going to get **** at Dillards, Macy's, JC Penny, or Sears.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 09:32:00 PM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2018, 10:29:10 PM »
Mitt Romney's old company did it.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2018, 01:53:07 AM »
I predict most retail stores except a handful will go out of business. You can expect companies like Wal-mart and maybe Target to stick around, but most will go out.

Food places, Furniture places. Places that do stuff you cant really get online will stay in business. If I we're running a mall I'd get really creative with how I run things.

A good number of malls raised their rent, this caused some businesses in my mall to vanish,  but what they should have done is selectively find business that attract people to the mall for the mall ambience and given them temporary free rent. Most of the mall's business is just rent. If business stop paying rent all together then you don't make any money. It would be better to give them a break than to let them permanently get destroyed. You don't want your long term income to be eliminated. I would take a temporary loss for a long term gain.

I go the mall and I think about how out of the many stores in the mall, only 2 are ones I would buy stuff at. Gamestop and Hot Topic. And maybe not even Hot Topic, I hate their T-shirt material. It's too thin. I'm not going to get **** at Dillards, Macy's, JC Penny, or Sears.

I always thought a mall should add a big venue. Some place that has concerts and shows booked. Give people a reason to visit and they can browse the stores before and after.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2018, 02:19:02 AM »
Tiffany used to sing at the mall. The first episode of WCW after Turner bought it I believe was at the mall of America. I was thinking of appending my smart city design to include a Plaza Mayor.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2018, 03:37:05 AM »
They already have Santa Clause and the Easter Bunny show up for events. What more do you people need to get your bodies in there and shopping?!?
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2018, 06:45:26 PM »
On my way in for likely the last trip ever, I saw someone taking a picture out in front. Maybe the last time they would ever set foot in one and wanted to remember the moment. Not kids; maybe late teens or early twenties. What was it that Kylo Ren first said? "Look how old you've become." Yes, we've all become old, but the toys make the years seem small. Inside, I walked past the place (long since reorganized to sell other, lesser goods) where I first saw Mario running around a 12-poly castle façade controlled by a three-headed monstrosity. He kept going and going, never got tired, didn’t seem to get scraped or bruised even if he jumped and dove headfirst; he kept going no matter what. Then he rode a turtle shell like a skateboard and launched himself in the air from a cannon! He was whooping and hollering the whole way. Such joy and freedom! These yelps called directly to me as they leaped, long-jumped, and wall-jumped through my heart and arrived at the tip-top of my soul where they have yet to leave. Why sell any other toy, why have an entire toy store at all, when that was possible?

Of course, that’s probably what they said about Star Wars back in the day. I meandered through where I thought might be miniature ships for my desk. I saw things and brands I didn't recognize. Row upon row of playthings for imaginations not from my time. A squishy ball shaped like the head of Predator. What in the world would you crazy youngsters do with that?! (Besides, they're not even old enough to watch that movie...) Just across the aisle were Legos. I wasn't sure if the Technic brand wind surfer was on sale so I continued on to the Lego Star Wars to pay my respects for a once great franchise. Strange--I didn't remember seeing a flash-forward scene of Rey in 50 years in Episode 7 or 8, but then I realized it was supposed to be Lego Supreme Leader Snoke. My bad. On to the videogame section, rightly situated in the front corner of the store was the place I wanted to be.

~20 years ago, a Star Fox or Wind Waker Link plushie, Boo backback clip-on buddy, and Slippy Toad World-of-Nintendo figure would've been at the top of my Christmas list. Now, all I could do was shrug at dozens of unwanted Tom Nook Amiibos and laugh at the greedy son of a gun getting his due. What’s for sale today, Tom? Any overpriced total uggo carpet for sale? Not one decent DS game on the shelf? Nope, it’s all in 3D now. Oh, I could tell you about 3D; this was the first and only place I ever got a Virtual Boy-induced headache and the only time I have wondered if I would ever be able to see another color other than red. It was also the only way I had to try out Sega games, or any other game that wasn't due out for awhile. "Early access," for you 2000's babies, was going to the Toys R Us or Blockbuster and hoping they had a demo unit to try out. If they didn't, then you simply didn't play it until launch and looked at a screenshot of it in a magazine instead. The only thing I really wanted from the store today was something from a franchise I didn't yet have a plushie or statue from: Pikmin, which first came out half a lifetime ago. Life-sized red Pikmin from the World-of Nintendo line, all of 2 inches tall, $4.99. Red, like my watering eyes after Mario’s Tennis circa 1995. Like the company’s profits, circa right now.

My last purchase at Toys R Us on 3/25/2018 at 12:52pm, red Pikmin, is a determined fighter that will fight anybody and carry anything you ask of it. Toys R Us did the same, never getting tired, jumping and getting a little bruised along the way, carrying our memories and imaginations off to be used to make better things, better ideas. Then one day the whistle calls, the day is over, and it’s time to find a new place to explore. Let's-a-go  :'(

« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 07:25:44 PM by Invincible Donkey Kong »
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2018, 07:09:18 PM »

[...]

If Poetry for Corporations isn't a genre yet, I think you may have just invented it.

Offline King of Twitch

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2018, 07:20:34 PM »
I think you may be right. If anyone wants to hire me as a corporate shill, feel free to slide into my PM's  ;)  (I don't do Sundays or holidays)
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2018, 08:22:17 PM »
When Toys R Us shuts down and the last sales have been made and the fixtures and shelving all sold off then anyone who enters one of their empty buildings at that point will find only a small pile in the corner of Animal Crossing Amiibo still taking up space. We may have a new E.T.: The Game situation about to unfold. There's a pit in Arizona just waiting for K.K. Slider and friends.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline King of Twitch

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2018, 09:49:21 PM »

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2019, 07:17:18 PM »
Apparently K-mart and Shopko are on their way out as well. They both kind of dug their own Graves though through shifty management so no real surprise there. My first job was at a shopko and dear God that place was a trainwreck.

Offline King of Twitch

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2019, 07:20:20 PM »
Story time please!

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2019, 10:09:20 PM »
K-Mart has been a poop show for a long time. I remember when I worked there way back in the 90s, a manager told that a company K-Mart's size should have about four vice presidents. K-Mart had fifty.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2019, 10:33:47 PM »
I knew k-mart was sketchy when they closed the electronics section at a certain time of day and left the rest of the store open. Did they not want my money?

What is really strange is K-mart was clearly better than Wal-mart where I lived for a while. Then it just went downhill.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 10:35:33 PM by ThePerm »

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2019, 10:25:11 AM »
K-Mart is owned by Sears, right?  The guy running the Sears Holdings has done a lot of sketchy **** over the years like selling business lines/brands and pocketing the money via dividends; selling prime store real estate to a company he runs; and acting as the company's main creditor as he bled their cash flow.

One of the things he would do is basically cut costs as much as possible and blatantly refuse to reinvest the money into the actual stores, letting them crumble in the process.

It's weird that the collapse of major retailers is at the hands of hedge-fund managers, but Amazon gets most of the blame.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2019, 10:51:11 AM »
K-Mart is owned by Sears, right?  The guy running the Sears Holdings has done a lot of sketchy **** over the years like selling business lines/brands and pocketing the money via dividends; selling prime store real estate to a company he runs; and acting as the company's main creditor as he bled their cash flow.

One of the things he would do is basically cut costs as much as possible and blatantly refuse to reinvest the money into the actual stores, letting them crumble in the process.

It's weird that the collapse of major retailers is at the hands of hedge-fund managers, but Amazon gets most of the blame.

Not only that, but Sears had a long, bad track of either selling off their most valuable brands or trading on the good reputation they had while reducing their quality (see - Craftsman Tools).

Amazon/online retailers get a lot of the blame instead of hedge fund managers/short term profit seekers because

1) Not everyone knows/understands business practices

2) Everyone buys stuff and most people have likely found their buying habits trending more towards online.  It's easy for people to project their own personal experiences towards a larger trend. 

My town is littered with the corpses of dead/dying retailers, some that have been vacant since the 90s (anyone remember the retailer named Venture?).  I really don't know what happens to all that space.  We've even lost our Best Buy recently, making the closest electronics store 30 miles away.

Offline Morningshark

• Xander Morningstar Animation Junkie
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2019, 09:47:52 PM »
This impacted me pretty hard. I was preparing to move to NYC to work for Fisher Price. But they laid off 20% of their staff, and told me to not come to NYC for my internship, because of how hard Toys R US' closure hit them. Hoping things improve.
Xander Morningstar
NWR Associate Editor and Video Producer
http://www.xandermorningstar.com

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2019, 11:54:06 PM »
At that point is when Fisher Price needs to expand. There's a power vacuum.

The space should be bought up by movie studios and turned into sound stages.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 12:00:15 AM by ThePerm »

Offline King of Twitch

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2019, 12:32:04 AM »
Sorry to hear that Morningshark, I hope things turn around for you.

There seem to be talks to open under a different brand somehow:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-02-11/new-toys-r-us-emerges-looking-for-partners-in-u-s-and-u-k

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2019, 09:01:36 AM »
At that point is when Fisher Price needs to expand. There's a power vacuum.

Fisher Price is not a retailer, they're a manufacturer and distributor.  That's like saying if Ford went under that a car seat manufacturer should be ramping up production of seats to buy car dealerships and sell their own vehicles.

This impacted me pretty hard. I was preparing to move to NYC to work for Fisher Price. But they laid off 20% of their staff, and told me to not come to NYC for my internship, because of how hard Toys R US' closure hit them. Hoping things improve.

Sorry to hear of your misfortune on this, Morningshark.  I imagine there'll be some sort of void filled by retailers who weren't used as a debt pump-and-dump.  Kids will still want to see toys at a store to show parents what they want for special occasions, hopefully the opportunity will still be there for you eventually.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2019, 12:08:33 PM »
Wal-Mart to soon open separate Wal-Mart Kids stores around the country.

They will focus on expanding the kids departments into their own dedicated stores.
this obviously hasn't happened yet.... but it wouldn't surprise me. LOL

Offline Morningshark

• Xander Morningstar Animation Junkie
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2019, 12:54:42 PM »
Thanks for the best wishes, Lanky in the Sky with Diamonds & lolmonade. I'm hoping things improve too. Things seem to be getting better for them. Perhaps I will try again.

Not sure I'd ever buy from GameStop after having worked there and realizing how rough it is. They're a glorified Thrift Store.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 12:58:13 PM by Morningshark »
Xander Morningstar
NWR Associate Editor and Video Producer
http://www.xandermorningstar.com

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2019, 01:45:26 PM »
Wal-Mart to soon open separate Wal-Mart Kids stores around the country.

They will focus on expanding the kids departments into their own dedicated stores.
this obviously hasn't happened yet.... but it wouldn't surprise me. LOL

You kid, but this makes a lot of sense.  The spaces are there for them to expand to locations where they may not have as large of a presence, but the retail space might be too small for a full blown Wal*mart.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2019, 10:51:10 PM »
Thanks for the best wishes, Lanky in the Sky with Diamonds & lolmonade. I'm hoping things improve too. Things seem to be getting better for them. Perhaps I will try again.

Not sure I'd ever buy from GameStop after having worked there and realizing how rough it is. They're a glorified Thrift Store.

I worked at Gamestop too. It was my first job. They hired me during the opening and then kept me on payroll for 3 months. I had to quit because they never fired me. They hired 30 people to work at the one store. I helped set up the store and I worked for a couple of days once it was opened. Then it was me calling every few days wondering if they would give me hours. This was in 2004.  I should have just stayed on for the discount.

Though to be honest I go in there sometimes, but I rarely ever buy anything.

I am also happy Sears is going out of business. I felt totally dissed during a job interview for their call center. **** em.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2019, 04:43:52 PM »
So Payless Shoes is going out of business and it is such a shame because they have always had affordable prices since the 80s and now they are going out of business.  This affects me because they are like one of the few shoe stores to have affordable size 11 and 12 normal women's shoes. Most places don't go up to that size aside from one or two places in town but they aren't as affordable. 
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.