Author Topic: How should I pick up Chrono Trigger and FF:IV  (Read 18410 times)

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
Re: How should I pick up Chrono Trigger and FF:IV
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2011, 08:26:08 PM »
There's really nothing wrong with the original version of Chrono Trigger, and it's the version I would recommend picking up if you can wait for it.  Now, Chrono Trigger had minor translation issues that got tightened up in later retranslations, but they were so minor that it doesn't matter all that much IMO.  And hey, you can enjoy Crono passing out from "eating too much soup" instead of "getting totally smashed on Sake".   :P: : : :

Looking at the DS port of Chrono Trigger, honestly the things they added didn't really improve the game much.  You have 2 new dungeons (including one cut from the original game), but neither of them are altogether well-done and one of them is a pure chore to work through due to constant backtracking.  There's a new ending as well that tries again to make Chrono Cross relevant, but it's nothing special really.  There's a new monster arena mini-game added for the DS version, but it sucks so it's not worth bothering with.  The DS version also adds the anime FMVs from the Playstation version, which are kind of neat but the problem is that they play alongside their original SNES cutscenes (so you see the same scenes twice in a row).  Finally, I don't know why (and you would only even notice or care that this was changed if you were a huge Chrono Trigger fan) but there was this one audio effect removed from the game for the Playstation and DS versions of the game.  It was this little "WOOSH!" sound and visual effect that would always play when you had a screen wipe during a dramatic moment (such as in the attract mode demo and the Rainbow Shell quest), and it was replaced with no sound effect and just the screen fading out.  Little things like that bug me about the DS version.

So yeah, wait for the VC version for CT.  It's cheaper, you can play it on a big TV with a Classic Controller (Pro), and I pretty much prefer the original versions of that game.  As for FF IV, I would probably recommend the GBA version if you can find it, or get the PSP collection that just released.  The original version of FF IV just has major localization issues, some from Nintendo's inane censorship policies at the time and some from the then-Japan view on America not being able to handle difficult games.

This isn't really accurate.  They added at least four new dungeons, several new bosses, new ways to get tabs, a way to up some stats that couldn't be boosted before, and a lot of other stuff.  Some of the dungeons aren't so great, but otherwise work well for the game. Overall, it's the best version released so far. If you can find it, and you think you'd be interested, pick it up.  If not, stick with the SNES version, because the PSX one has terrible loading times.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2011, 09:36:50 PM »
Ok I got FF:IV in and it seems to save.  Though I had to go with Plan C and play it on my DS Phat.

A. DS Lite
B. GBA Original
C. DS Phat
D. GCN GBA Player
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2011, 09:58:17 PM »
Won't it play on your Lite?
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2011, 10:48:50 PM »
My son commondeered it to play Dora...
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2011, 03:58:49 AM »
This isn't really accurate.  They added at least four new dungeons, several new bosses, new ways to get tabs, a way to up some stats that couldn't be boosted before, and a lot of other stuff.  Some of the dungeons aren't so great, but otherwise work well for the game. Overall, it's the best version released so far. If you can find it, and you think you'd be interested, pick it up.  If not, stick with the SNES version, because the PSX one has terrible loading times.

I combined 3 of the dungeons into one (and the two Prehistoric dungeons into one as well) when I talked about them because they are just extensions of the same two quests, and they're just remixed versions of existing environments anyway.  None of the dungeons were all that fun to go through in my experience, though it was nice to hear one of the missing musical tracks from the original CT score finally used there.  I don't remember the new way to get tabs, but whatever.  The game's easy enough that you really don't need those tabs anyway.  As for the "new bosses", I can only remember two new bosses: one of which is tied to one of the new dungeons, and another that's part of the new DS-exclusive ending.  I don't remember finding either boss all that notable, especially the one that's part of Square-Enix's eternal struggle to force us to accept Chrono Cross as a legitimate sequel to Trigger.

With the original SNES version of CT already confirmed for the Virtual Console in two regions (and highly likely to reach our NA one at some point this year), I just can't recommend picking up the DS version when the things the DS version really didn't add much that improved the game and the VC version will be cheaper anyway.  Now, if we weren't extremely likely to get the game on the VC, sure I'd recommend the DS version in a heartbeat (especially over the craptacular PS1 version).
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 04:01:27 AM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2011, 12:42:32 PM »
My son commondeered it to play Dora...

This made me laugh.  Totally understand where you are coming from.

I should've been more careful earlier.  My recommendation earlier was really more about playing classic Square RPGs on the GBA Micro than about that particular version of the game... the DS or GBA versions both have advantages, and which one is "better" probably depends on if you like "true to the original" classics or revamped versions.  But it is a great version that plays well - so your certainly didn't make a bad choice!

Hope you enjoy the game!
NNID: ejamer

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2011, 01:52:15 PM »
So far I'm in the Cave after Cecil possible love interest Rosa is sick and you need to get through it to get the Something ruby to cure her.  I've gotten the old man and to the save point in the cave. 

I like how Cecil isn't a hero from nowhere he is a hero.  He has a past.  Fate may had picked him but, its fairly obvious he's actually qualified for the job.  I'm not in love with the battle system.

I like it fine because its what I expected.  What gets me the most about it is Magic is so powerful and the game knows it so, its meterred out accordingly.  My summoner lady can kill 1 maybe 2 enemies and effectively be out of Mana.  The costs are way high.  While Cecil on the other hand may not do 860 damage to a monster but normally kills them in 2-3 swipes now.  What this leads to is most fights are just pressing attack while watching Cecil health so far.

The biggest exception was the Mist dragon that was clever with the wait phase.  Also Jump is a little OP, sad I lost that character.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2011, 03:23:16 PM »
OMG Ran into Zombies... There Eat Mize MP...

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2011, 03:37:07 PM »
What is the place you are in currently called?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 03:43:53 PM by Maxi »
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2011, 03:53:04 PM »
What is the place you are in currently called?

Underground Waterway.  After picking it up again it seems my characters have more MP than before.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2011, 04:03:20 PM »
Yeah there is a camp site in there where you can heal your HP and MP if you use a tent.
The majority of the monsters in there is weak to Thunder. I tended to use one Magic user and the other two would use normal attacks until that first magic user has running low on MP then I would swap up the roles. That tended to make the 2 magic users magic slightly more lasting. Be sure to check out the area before moving on to the next floor. There is some nice armors and weapons around.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2011, 04:08:04 PM »
I found the Shadowblade and the Ice Rod.  Crazy Hair Mage says I'm now where Uber Cave boss will be.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2011, 04:21:02 PM »
Yeah just use thunder attacks on the boss and melee attacks with Cecil.Should be relatively quick to deal with.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2011, 09:54:52 PM »
Got the Octopus down and Summoner Girl died right before the last hit... :( I'm know at Fabul Castle.  Bard is useless and knows it.  I wish they explain the abilities like "Heal" is use a potion on everyone.  Bow and Arrow actually uses arrows...

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2011, 10:24:35 PM »
Yeah I was slightly confused with the Aim ability when I started playing it.I figured that it was make Rosas melee attacks more accurate.
Let me go over some that abilities that I recall.

Pray sometimes heals the party for free.Doesn't work all the time though.Aim which makes Rosa's bow attacks 100% accurate. Rydia's attacks tend to be both white and black Magic and she can summon monsters. Edward's abilitys are okay I guess. Sing has a higher chance of causing a status infliction than his normal attacks but Sing doesn't cause damage. Heal as you know uses one potion on everybody. Hide makes him run away from battle if his HP is low. Tellah the old sage has this ability called Recall which can make him use one of his spells that he forgot.

There is more characters in the game and they have different abilities.So I could mention the abilitys when you come across them.

Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2011, 08:05:28 AM »
I've defended Fabul.  Met the Monks Kick-ass wife and I was on a boat, With my Flippy Floppies.  Boats gone but I'm Still Alive.  Don't know about everyone else.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2011, 09:40:10 AM »
Just got wonder twins.  What does twin do except make them twiddle their thumbs the rest of the fight?

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2011, 10:05:46 AM »
Once they stop chanting, you get Meteor or a multi-target Flare.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2011, 10:33:43 AM »
Lord almighty when do I get to buy Ether...  This is sadistic, make enemies that can only be killed by magic then make my only mana recovery mechanisms be very limited...

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2011, 12:11:21 PM »
Cecil evolve from dark knight to Undead Damager. (Paladin!) Crazy Old Man now properly equipped.

Lol now they tell me how to run...
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 12:18:10 PM by Ceric »

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2011, 06:54:17 PM »
I just got my airship and they said to go northwest but everyone I haven't been I can't land
 I may be doubling my play time wondering to find this place.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2011, 07:46:41 PM »
Now that you have the Enterprise you might want to head to some old towns.Mist the town where you had to deliver the bomb ring has some items in the house up top of the city.There is secret passageways to find them.

Mythril has the best armor and weapons and be sure to check around the city for items. Mythril is south from Fabul or on an island east from Baron and a little north. Don't sell your old armor and weapons! Once done with getting items from previous places head to Troia which is just to the east of a waterfall on the northeastern coast of the Baron continent.There is only one place to land which is  between the town and castle.

About you ether question you can buy it near the end of the game. In the meantime use the  Osmose spell if you have it.It takes MP from the enemy.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2011, 08:39:30 PM »
There's a one-square landing area in the village in the northwest, if you're trying to get to where I think you're trying to get to.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2011, 09:42:08 PM »
I found Asgart and I did go back to the town I bombed.  I'll have to go see Mythril.
I was at the right place the whole time it was getting the airship over that one square which was the problem.
I've made it to the Magnetic cave and I'm trying to figure out how to Min-Max my characters with no metal...  Its weird using a staff as Cecil.
Thx for everything.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2011, 09:58:31 PM »
The majority of the monsters in the Magnetic Cave are weak to Holy attacks. Give Cecil the Great Bow and some Holy Arrows.Holy arrows can be got from Agart at the weapon shop. Yangs claws are fine.Cid should have his Wooden Hammer and Tellah have a non metalic staff.Armor for Cecil and Cid should be Leather Garb, Feather cap and Ruby ring.
Also make sure you have the item from Edward. He is in the Troia Castle.
Alexis, she/her/Miss