Author Topic: Rate the last TV show you've seen  (Read 1193291 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last TV show you've seen
« Reply #4600 on: June 22, 2019, 06:42:31 PM »
Agents of SHIELD S6E6

O.M.G. LMAO
this was quite the filler episode, but that ending... HAHAHA OMG, I did not see that coming.
This is a FitzSimmons Episode. Those are always good episodes. This one did not disappoint.

Basically Fiz and Simmons get trapped in a mind meld against their will, and forced to access each others memories in hopes that they together can solve the equation for time-travel. Simmons tries to hold back, but secrets get revealed, past suppressed memories surface and chaos ensues as they are forced to figure out how to deal with all it. ....*heavy hint towards big moment in episode ahead*in the midst of working out their issues, they came to the realization that some issues tend to work themselves out. for better or for worse. LOL

oh.... "and you're a Grandfather!!"

you gotta love these two.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 06:53:33 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #4601 on: June 23, 2019, 01:19:13 AM »
I love a good Leopold.

Their episodes are unusual in that they are good regardless of how terrible the season might be. I wonder if the actors are involved in the writing. Great actors can only do so much if the script is trash.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4602 on: June 23, 2019, 02:13:40 AM »
You have to wonder why they still need filler episodes despite being only a half length season.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4603 on: June 23, 2019, 02:45:51 AM »
That's because it's not. You can't bring them back together and act like nothing happened. It's more of a pacing issue. They have been rushing so when they did slow down it became very noticeable. They did spend too much time on the freighter.

Everyone knows FitzSimmons is carrying a lot of the show.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4604 on: June 25, 2019, 09:29:33 AM »
Having watched it, it is arguably filler but not really really because FitzSimmons is the the pair which most of the show relies upon emotionally.

Most shows with any form of domestic arguments going on i tend to mentally click off, but i watched these two shout at & over each other with genuine warmth and irritation while being totally engaged.

I'm still really disappointed at the way how the show forgot about Joey from seasons ago after he just "i'm done i'm out!" and walked off

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #4605 on: July 21, 2019, 12:35:39 AM »
During the recent spat of online sales, I picked up a handful of series on BluRay that I'd just never gotten around to seeing, including the original Star Trek series (yes, I've seen some episodes of it, but not most of it and certainly not the remastered versions); the Adam West Batman series; and the subject of this post, Samurai Jack.

I'm only 5 episodes into Samurai Jack's 1st season so far, but it's certainly one of the stranger series I've seen in a while. I kind of loathe the 3-part opening story, which is jarring; kind of boring; and so visually busy that the show's watercolor art style actually comes off pretty ugly. Thankfully, after the 3-part pilot, the show has settled down into the kind of show I was expecting coming in, and the backgrounds are much simpler and less distracting.

The BluRay transfer is not spectacular so far, as there are often times where this looks like an upscale, although with the show's art style that can be hard to tell for sure. I'm enjoying what I've seen so far, but the show feels like it hasn't quite locked into its groove yet, like it wants to be serialized AND episodic without committing to anything. Typical 1st season kinks.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 12:37:31 AM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #4606 on: July 28, 2019, 02:11:48 AM »
Stranger Things 3 thoughts:

Hopper better not be dead!
Billy went out a hero, good for him
Did it feel like there were too many characters this season? Everyone had to have a few little scenes.
Joyce's love life keeps getting screwed over.
Can Steve catch a break? Didn't get to go to college, strike two in his love life, now working a string of dead end jobs...
Speaking of, Nancy seems like she should have went to college.
As someone who was a kid in the 80s, those egaggerated bowl cuts the boys were sporting were out of style by 1985.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #4607 on: July 31, 2019, 05:33:08 PM »
The Boys

As expected, there are many try-hard, edge-lord scenes. If they toned those down just a little bit (dial it from an 11 to maybe a 7), the show would be better for it. To its credit, there aren't as many I thought there would be based on the trailers.

There's a whole subplot where they try to humanize a rapist. Not sure where that's going. I wasn't really feeling it.

This isn't the first time I've seen superheroes breaking bad so The Boys hasn't shown me much I haven't seen before. The show doesn't always seem to follow its own rules. There's a scene in which Translucent, a character with impenetrable skin, has C4 inserted rectally and the C4 detonated, splattering his guts everywhere. If he has impenetrable skin, shouldn't the explosion been largely contained by his skin? Maybe I missed something.

Most of the actors are good to great. Laz Alonso is low-key excellent. Simon Pegg with an American accent is weird and off-putting (his performance is good). Stay for Karl Urban. Best part of the show by far.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #4608 on: July 31, 2019, 11:02:21 PM »
Adrock:  Guardians of the Galaxy 2 explains the flawed logic of your spoiler.  I have cut him from the inside!!!  You are right, but writers almost never think of logic like that when you can have a gruesome joke death like you described.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4609 on: August 08, 2019, 04:01:46 PM »
Is anyone watching Another Life on Netflix?

It has several connections to Stargate Universe, except this is far far more stupid.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4610 on: August 13, 2019, 12:31:22 AM »
The Boys

As expected, there are many try-hard, edge-lord scenes. If they toned those down just a little bit (dial it from an 11 to maybe a 7), the show would be better for it. To its credit, there aren't as many I thought there would be based on the trailers.

There's a whole subplot where they try to humanize a rapist. Not sure where that's going. I wasn't really feeling it.

This isn't the first time I've seen superheroes breaking bad so The Boys hasn't shown me much I haven't seen before. The show doesn't always seem to follow its own rules. There's a scene in which Translucent, a character with impenetrable skin, has C4 inserted rectally and the C4 detonated, splattering his guts everywhere. If he has impenetrable skin, shouldn't the explosion been largely contained by his skin? Maybe I missed something.

Most of the actors are good to great. Laz Alonso is low-key excellent. Simon Pegg with an American accent is weird and off-putting (his performance is good). Stay for Karl Urban. Best part of the show by far.

I enjoyed the **** out of this show.

I thought the same thing about the spoiler, but maybe the impentrability was a one way thing.
As for the sub-plot. I saw it as them giving him a taste of his own medicine. They humbled his ass and put him on the receiving end of his own bullshit. I smirked when that chick forced him down and fingered his "slits" forcefully.

overall I'm really looking forward to a season 2.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4611 on: August 21, 2019, 01:22:35 AM »
Full Metal Panic IV: Invisible Victory

If you like FMP why are you still reading this, go watch it.

Most fans like the second season. For me I have found it to be the bottom of equals. However FMP is a strange beast where every season are all equally good. While each are different they have a consistent high level of quality. The flaws and cons mostly comes down to personal preference due to the kind of stories one might want.

IV is very Sagara focus. This is the primary reason of how much you will like this. This focus does come with a cost however somewhat mitigated by introducing new likeable characters, better villians and how they use Sagara preventing him from being a Mary/Gary Stu that are frequently found in many other shows of this type. My dislike of the Sagara focus is not because Sagara is bad, it's how much time it cuts into other characters.

I would love to see more Tessa (That S1 moment is amazing) and Chidori (Fun Sagara abuse) but the story doesn't disallows it hence is the need for new characters. With so many characters this can become a flaw as ones personal favourites time is cut into.

I definitely recommend it to others and previous seasons are required watch if you want to get the most out of it.

Sword Art Online: Alicization

Quite a lot better and the Big Bad once we finally met them by the end is something else and quite the treat on all levels.

Kirito power has been striped down, mellowed out without suppression, is far more of a character and gets development. He still gets quite powerful but he isn't soloing encounters nor winning just with force or any at all.

The rules of the "Game" is establish like before but it does play a bit loose with them at times leading to some level of dissatisfaction.

Visually stunning as always.

Gets a recommendation.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #4612 on: August 26, 2019, 04:09:07 PM »
GLOW Season 3

Just finished it over the weekend. I was excited to see how much the show would change with the change in locale from the end of season two. There was a bit less wrestling this season (at least it felt like it). The show is still as funny as it has been, but there's more heavy-handedness this season.  There's a six month time skip during one of the episodes that I wasn't a huge fan of. It just felt like a lot of story lines were left to simmer, especially after an episode about spicing things up. It made sense for one of the main characters, but it came at a time when the focus seemed to be split amongst the cast. The season felt like mostly character moments with some characters and relationships developing a bit. While I kinda wish the show could've spent more time in it's status quo, the ending had me excited for where things go from here. I hope Netflix keeps it going.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4613 on: September 02, 2019, 12:00:27 PM »
Anyone watching Power S6?

two episodes in for season 6 and this about sums it up

tension so thicc you not even man enough to approach it. LOL

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #4614 on: September 03, 2019, 03:39:26 PM »
The Boys

I wouldn't call The Deep a rapist, he used his power to get sex in a really sleazy meetoo way but he didn't physically force her to do anything. He gave her the choice. Everything she did was because she wanted to be part of the group. She could have said no and went her separate way. Not quite the same thing. It's still a shitty thing to do, but not quite the level of rape. There should be another name for it. He's definitely a sleazy pervert. That towney girl show who shoved her fingers in his gills is a rapist though. He said no

As far as Translucent goes. Good call. He could have been a floppy shell with real physics. Though we can only rely on the cartoon physics presented to us. His skin must only be strong from the outside. Or that the gigantic amount of co2 produced from the explosion stretched his skin to its limits. Cell phones are scratch resistant, but they shatter when you drop them. Some weird physics stuff happen. I don't remember...did they try spraying him with acid? I bet that would have worked too. This is like trying to figure out how the flux capacitor works on Back to the Future.

Also he was definitely not shock resistant. They could have directly plugged a cathode and anode to him and welded him dead. Maybe all his parts came through his nose mouth and anus. He was punchable.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 03:48:49 PM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4615 on: September 03, 2019, 07:06:21 PM »
Removing the spoiler tags because I can't be bothered.

I wouldn't call The Deep a rapist, he used his power to get sex in a really sleazy meetoo way but he didn't physically force her to do anything. He gave her the choice. Everything she did was because she wanted to be part of the group. She could have said no and went her separate way. Not quite the same thing. It's still a shitty thing to do, but not quite the level of rape. There should be another name for it. He's definitely a sleazy pervert. That towney girl show who shoved her fingers in his gills is a rapist though. He said no
1. There are other terms we can use: Sexual misconduct or sexual abuse. Pick one. I'm not really sure why you spent an entire paragraph quasi-defending The Deep's not-felony-rape of Starlight.

Fine, The Deep is a "sexual abuser". Does that make you feel better? Legally, sexual misconduct may be non-criminal. Going back to my post you quoted, The Deep potentially not being liable under the law for his sexual conduct doesn't change how I feel about the character. The writers can try to humanize him all they want. I, personally, do not care for it. The later scene in which The Deep was sexually assaulted didn't fill me with a sense of justice; legal, poetic, or otherwise.

2. Regarding the bolded parts: it's hella weird that you're so attached to pedantically qualifying this even in a "well, actually" kind of way. A "yes" under professional and financial duress is not consent. "She could have said no." Not really. And gross.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4616 on: September 03, 2019, 10:15:50 PM »
I don't think he was defending it at all, he was trying to figure out what you would charge him with. Rape, unlikely. Sexual assault definitely. Even the "Offer" is chargeable work place harassment regardless if she said no or not and would violate tons of labour laws even without the sex angle.

The Deep is not the only one engaging in Quid Pro Quo coercion but the most blatant.

Deep's other encounter has no legal bearing to Starlight.

He more than likely confused as to how the law applies forgetting the coercion element rather than being gross.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4617 on: September 03, 2019, 10:44:21 PM »
I don't think he was defending it at all
Nah, man. “She could have said no and went her separate way” places responsibility on Starlight who had shown physical and verbal discomfort in that scene which quasi-defending The Deep. That’s the same line of thinking as “She was asking for it” or “She shouldn’t have dressed so provocatively” because it incorrectly shifts blame away from the perpetrator.

People need to learn how to read a room. Communication is over 90% non-verbal; over 50% of non-verbal communication is body language. If someone reluctantly says “Yes,” that’s a “No.” It fills me with dread that I even have to explain this.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #4618 on: September 03, 2019, 10:53:20 PM »
It fills me with dread that I even have to explain this.

I mean...

People need to learn how to read a room.

Consider the audience - one that didn't know taking away a woman's right to her emotions and commanding she look pretty for you is a well-documented type of harassment.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4619 on: September 03, 2019, 11:12:24 PM »
I don't think he was defending it at all
Nah, man. “She could have said no and went her separate way” places responsibility on Starlight who had shown physical and verbal discomfort in that scene which quasi-defending The Deep. That’s the same line of thinking as “She was asking for it” or “She shouldn’t have dressed so provocatively” because it incorrectly shifts blame away from the perpetrator.

People need to learn how to read a room. Communication is over 90% non-verbal; over 50% of non-verbal communication is body language. If someone reluctantly says “Yes,” that’s a “No.” It fills me with dread that I even have to explain this.
I rather give the benefit of the doubt for a moment so we can have a constructive dialogue, have a chance to make it right than to start calling people nasty things. Rehabilitate over punishment yes? It's not like you forfeit being able to go at it a little later.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4620 on: September 03, 2019, 11:31:15 PM »
I rather give the benefit of the doubt for a moment so we can have a constructive dialogue, have a chance to make it right than to start calling people nasty things. Rehabilitate over punishment yes? It's not like you forfeit being able to go at it a little later.
When it comes to sexual violence, no. I won’t give anyone the benefit of the doubt. It’s important as part of a (hopefully) functional society to always nip harmful beliefs in the bud whenever and wherever you see/hear it even in regards to fictional characters because these opinions come from a very real place, and I’d rather not give anyone even a glimmer that they’re even remotely acceptable.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4621 on: September 03, 2019, 11:45:30 PM »
I said for a moment. If you like a time frame, a couple hours for a response. I am not disagreeing with you in nipping it in the bud, a little bit less knee jerk, instant outrage is not helpful. Taking a moment to make it right doesn't change the acceptability, or condone such actions in anyway. It does not forfeit being outraged later. If it doesn't work out have at it.

Let me illiterate: Rehabilitate over punishment.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4622 on: September 03, 2019, 11:55:53 PM »
I responded over three hours after ThePerm originally posted, and yes, I did read it when it was originally posted.

Also, do you like not see the irony of you, of all people, lecturing literally anyone about outrage, instant or otherwise?

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #4623 on: September 04, 2019, 12:38:03 AM »
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 12:40:25 AM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4624 on: September 04, 2019, 12:46:58 AM »
I didn't know you had waited. My apologies.

I still don't like throwing around labels this quickly before perm gets to respond. Tick tock.

You probably don't want to conflate my view on justice and crime with getting pissed off about entertainment. Doesn't exactly equate in a good way for you.

LOL video.