Author Topic: Rurouni Kenshin  (Read 1688 times)

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Rurouni Kenshin
« on: May 23, 2003, 01:46:05 PM »
I have been watching Kenshin for a good 6 months now.  I have just never gotten around to watching Kenshin before then.  Being that there's 95 episodes, 1 movie, and 6 OAV episodes, that takes a lot of time.  Last night I finished watching the 95th episode, then decided to watch the movie.  It was about 3AM at that point, but I still wasn't sleepy at all.  I decided to throw in the first OAV episode and see how it was.  I had heard that it was good, and I was in the mood for some blood.  The last 20 episodes or so of Kenshin were actually starting to bore the hell out of me.  They just seemed uninspired to me.

I am a strange person.  I have an artistic side of me, but it rarely gets expressed in anything tangible.  I write short stories now and then, and I will sometimes program myself something, but my coding skill just isn't there yet, and I can't focus for a long enough period on my writing to make something great.  Someday it is my dream to bring the two together though, and make a game worthy of recognition.  Nevertheless, I sometimes get dim visions of what I would like to see.  It can be something as simple as watching a leaf fall from a tree, or something as meaningless as watching the sun go down.  But I always have a strange obsession with a landscape that is both serene yet active.  Like I said, I cannot explain precisely what I see, and to do so would involve explaining myself for a good 20 pages of posts.  It does have meaning to me though.  My friends recognize that I am a very twisted person, and although I recognize the real world, and can navigate through it without issue, I am really living in my own nightmare world.

When watching the 1st Kenshin OVA, I felt a connection.  It wasn't showing me what I have been seeing for a long time, but it was showing me what I needed to see.  There was killing, there was misery, there was great tragedy.  Yet it was all sort of surreal.  It was done with a numbness and a foreboding that was played precisely into my deepest thoughts.  It was the effect I was looking for.  The story of the OVA was fairly run of the mill Kenshin stock, but the presentation was entirely different.  This is what I found so captivating about it.  It was the world as if seen through my own viewpoint.

Even if you don't like anime, I urge people to watch the OVA at least.  It's one of the finest works of art I have ever witnessed.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean