Author Topic: Switchmas Eve Rumors and Speculations Thread  (Read 668117 times)

Re: NX Rumors and Speculation Thread (Your guess is as good as mine EDITION)
« Reply #650 on: February 03, 2016, 07:19:26 PM »
They might be able to keep the Cross in the name in Japan but I could see some group claiming it was religious propaganda in the west.

I like the idea of making the game cases red. But I want the console to be slick and black like everything else. The only color I would be okay with other than black is maybe silver or a shiny gray.
You can call me Mikey if my username is too long.
My favorite games are: Minecraft, Star Wars, Mario, DK, Zelda, Ninja Turtles, and Call of Duty,
I own Wii U, PS4, PS3, and PC.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: February 03, 2016, 07:47:04 PM »
I'm going to guess that if you asked 99% of the population to read the title "Namco × Capcom" out loud they would say "Namco EX Capcom".  X = cross is not even close to a typical English language convention.  So using something like that would actually be worse than confusing names like Wii U and New 3DS because almost everyone would pronounce the name wrong.  Or, even worse, they hear someone saying the name right but then can't correlate it with this X named system they see in the store.  "Hey you have the N-Cross-ES?" you ask the misinformed store clerk and he says "no, I have the NXES?  Is that the same thing?" and confusion ensues.

I would call it Nintendo [Insert distinct name here].  Put Nintendo in the front so everyone knows that Nintendo's making it and then have something distinct that has nothing to do with Wii or DS or could be confused for some competing product (ie: NX would be naturally confused with Xbox) or a prior Nintendo console.  Nothing like Xbox 1 where you make it near impossible for someone to clarify if they mean your current product or the very first one you ever made.  Nothing that resembles potty talk in the English language so no Nintendo Dik or Nintendo Pu.  It's hard to come up with something catchy or cool but it is NOT hard to avoid something idiotic.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #652 on: February 03, 2016, 09:44:35 PM »
I am one of those people Ian.  EX or just Versus

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: February 03, 2016, 10:26:46 PM »
What about the XES? I like that. Then hipsters can say the Cross Entertainment System and normies can say EX EE ES.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #654 on: February 04, 2016, 12:02:00 AM »
And the first smartass to flip that acronym around is...
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: February 04, 2016, 01:01:58 AM »
X = cross is not even close to a typical English language convention.
Wait, what? There are xing signs all over the United States: school xing, ped xing, deer xing etc.
Nothing like Xbox 1 where you make it near impossible for someone to clarify if they mean your current product or the very first one you ever made.
Was this ever really a problem? The original Xbox came out in 2002. Was anyone even still talking about it in 2013 let alone now in 2016. The problem with the name "Wii U" is that Nintendo did a terrible job communicating that the console itself was a new and more importantly, separate thing from its predecessor. If it looks like a duck and sounds like a duck...

Anyway, I rather like the name Nintendo NX (as in en-ex, though I don't hate en-cross). It's a good name for a family of systems. Since DS, Nintendo has had some weird philosophy attached to the name of its hardware. It could easily say "The 'X' represents 'cross,'" and then everyone forgets about it except on message boards when it's randomly brought up in discussions of about product names like how "'DS' stands for 'dual screens' or 'developer's system.'"

Speaking of, Nintendo DS was the original codename which was changed to Nitro then changed back to Nintendo DS before becoming the official name. That said, it's entirely possible that Nintendo keeps the name NX.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: February 04, 2016, 01:55:31 AM »
And the first smartass to flip that acronym around is...

Hah! I totally missed that one. I could see them stumbling into a hole in that manner.

Maybe get rid of the S? Nintendo Entertainment Platform? Nintendo Gaming System?
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #657 on: February 04, 2016, 02:04:21 AM »
Oh! Even better! It promotes the hybrid between the consoles. The SYSTEM ENTERTAINMENT CROSS!

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #658 on: February 04, 2016, 09:58:37 AM »
"Nintendo Games Machine"
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #659 on: February 04, 2016, 11:34:27 AM »
With how long the NX name has been out there, I wouldn't be surprised if they kept it, honestly. I know someone expressed a similar thought earlier in the thread, but I don't think Nintendo has every really been this open about the code name of a system prior to this.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #660 on: February 04, 2016, 12:14:48 PM »
Has it been a year since they said "NX"?

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #661 on: February 04, 2016, 12:18:32 PM »
When was the DeNA acquisition? I believe sometime in February or March.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: February 04, 2016, 01:02:38 PM »
X = cross is not even close to a typical English language convention.
Wait, what? There are xing signs all over the United States: school xing, ped xing, deer xing etc.

Never for a second thought about those.  Still I think 99% of the population will be read it as the letter X, not as cross.  It's EX-Men, not Cross-Men.  If they made it the Nintendo xing then people might get it but NXED or something like that?  No.  Why even use something that is open to interpretation when it's not necessary?  They can come up with something that has no risk of confusion.  Nintendo's margin of error on the NX is miniscule.  They shouldn't risk anything on something as trivial as a name.  There is no reason to get cute with something so basic.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #663 on: February 04, 2016, 01:26:56 PM »
A particular solution to this, which was emphasized with the DS logo design, is showing a literal image of the concept- the two boxes next to the DS in the logo represent the dual screens. If you put an image of one console in the top "arrow" of the X and one in the bottom, you have them being led towards a centerpoint.

Another answer could be the current Monster Hunter logo- emphasize the first two letters of the words, or even insert "Cross" into the X to better communicate it.

I'll definitely be putting together some mockups.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: February 04, 2016, 05:48:06 PM »
Nintendo did such an exceptionally poor job of communicating with consumers that an absurd amount of people didn't even know Wii U was a thing. That's why naming the console "Wii U" was a bad move. The name may have been okay had Nintendo bothered to explain that it was a brand new console. Then, it went to places like Pottery Barn to market Wii U. It was like Nintendo was trying to keep the thing a secret.

It isn't so much about what Nintendo calls the console as it is people knowing it exists. Being part of public consciousness is the important bit. Even if a consumer doesn't walk into a store looking to buy NX; they should at least know what it is.

Nintendo can do a lot worse than NX. I'm not convinced it can do better, just similarly.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: February 04, 2016, 06:18:12 PM »
I've always felt that "Xbox" was a stupid name, and adding 360 or One doesn't make it any better. But the brand (eventually) did fine despite that.

Now, "PlayStation" I think is an okay name. It's simple and gets the point across. I dunno if it helped the system's success, but it certainly didn't hurt it. Also, I think naming a system with its name and then a number is fine (PS2, PS3, PS4); why do systems need a new name every time? It's never made much sense to me that new systems had new names. This convention is simple and easy to understand that PS4 is the new system to PS3. Why should there even be any need to explain a name or that something is a new system?

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #666 on: February 04, 2016, 06:36:14 PM »
Are you suggesting the Wii U 2?

Because I like where your head is at.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #667 on: February 04, 2016, 07:05:28 PM »
NES8: The Ocho.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: February 04, 2016, 07:19:52 PM »
I've always felt that "Xbox" was a stupid name, and adding 360 or One doesn't make it any better. But the brand (eventually) did fine despite that.
"Xbox" sounds sillier without the history behind it. The console was originally pitched as the "DirectX Box," named after Microsoft's API. Had it stuck, DirectX Box would have been the most utilitarian console name ever. It was named after exactly was it was, more so even than GameCube which wasn't an actual cube.

The meaning behind the original name is practically lost with the truncated "Xbox" label. At the same time, it still works. A product name doesn't have to mean anything so if you aren't going with something literal like "DirectX Box," something simple is a good choice.
Why should there even be any need to explain a name or that something is a new system?
I think that's why NX works. It doesn't even need to mean anything. Nintendo is weirdly attached to assigning some philosophy to the branding of its products yet the best names are the ones that are practical even without said philosophy. For example, Nintendo DS is good branding because its easy to remember and easy to say in most languages, not because DS means anything. 3DS works because its sequential and utilitarian. It's a DS follow-up with 3D capabilities. That said, NX could mean something, but even if you strip that away, you're left with two letters that are, again, easy to say and easy to remember.

I am a fan of simplicity and sequentiality. I think "Wii 2" would have been a better name for Wii U even if that wouldn't have fixed Nintendo's inability to explain what Wii U was. I was in favor of calling a successor Nintendo 7 just because it's so stupidly simplistic. The main purpose of branding is so people know what to call it then it should get out of the way.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: February 04, 2016, 08:54:32 PM »
nickmitch wins.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: February 04, 2016, 10:05:04 PM »
Are you guys counting right?

1. NES
2 SNES
3 n64
4 GCN
5 wii
6 wii u
7 NX

or do you count ColorTVGame?
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: February 04, 2016, 10:41:36 PM »
Well, Nintendo does have a precedent for starting to name things by number when they get to 7.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

« Reply #672 on: February 04, 2016, 11:58:24 PM »
NX is a stupid name for a console it is obviously a code name. Nintendo System X would be okay but they need the Nintendo brand in the name, they need to avoid X though it is too similar to Xbox. That got them in trouble with Game CUBE.
My favorite games are: Minecraft, Star Wars, Mario, DK, Zelda, Ninja Turtles, and Call of Duty,

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: February 05, 2016, 12:01:31 AM »
I don't see how NX is any worse of a name than DS, which was also a code name, and they sold like 170 million of those.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

« Reply #674 on: February 05, 2016, 12:06:02 AM »
It wasn't DS, it was Nintendo DS, people knew it was a Nintendo console, NX is too vague. If they called it Nintendo X it could be confused for X box, if they called it Nintendo Cross there are people in the US anyways who might mistake it for a religious thing, see some of the talk back threads. DS stood for Dual Screen, they made that clear when they were talking about it before hand, so far we know literally nothing about "NX" so what does it supposedly stand for? It is terrible in that regards. It sounds cool and people have gotten used to it but Revolution sounded a thousand times infinity better than that idiotic, piece of ****, no good, nothing, stupid ass, lame, crap fest name they went with.

DS didn't sell one console because the name, not calling it Game Boy had no impact either DS was like the Nintendo Piss, it was right place, right time, but the damn was lame.