Author Topic: Switchmas Eve Rumors and Speculations Thread  (Read 663747 times)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Re: NX Rumors and Speculation Thread (Your guess is as good as mine EDITION)
« Reply #600 on: January 24, 2016, 08:07:57 AM »
In any case, I could imagine moving away from a dual screened design but only if the handheld was compatible as a controller for the home console, thus allowing backwards compatibility.
I can see Nintendo going back to a single screen handheld if it doesn't care about backwards compatibility on the handheld though I get the impression that it does. Since Nintendo is undoubtedly moving away from PowerPC, it probably wants to emulate every previous generation of console and handheld to be playable on both handheld and console. Based on vague comments by Iwata and the fact that Nintendo released a cross-buy game in 2014, cross-buy Virtual Console is the logical next step. Outside of a few more intensive games, I think every first party title will be shared between console and handheld.
Nintendo usually has the project names for a long time, and also the project names are usually cooler names for the consoles then the real names
The project names certainly bucked console naming conventions though I really can't imagine Nintendo getting away with "Dolphin" or "Cafe." I rather liked the names "Nintendo 64" and "Gamecube." "Revolution" was badass, but it wouldn't work in Japan. "NX" is good branding. It doesn't need an abbreviation. It's easy to remember and universally easy to pronounce.
As far as the second screen goes... Why do you need 2 screens if you have just one big screen? 1 large screen could act as 2 screens if you just split the screen.
Portability.
What would be kind of interesting is a 2 part handheld. 1 part are the controls and the other part is the screen. Where depending on if the game is letterbox or portrait you can connect the controller part up in different ways.
I think that creates more problems. The best part of a handheld is that it's a self-contained gaming unit.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: January 24, 2016, 01:02:51 PM »
Do remember, Nintendo patented a handheld with customizable (i.e. replaceable) button configuration.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: January 24, 2016, 02:12:55 PM »
But Nintendo (and most companies for that matter) patents most ideas just in case. Look back at how many patents it hasn't used over the years.

EDIT: auto-correct
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 02:28:17 PM by Adrock »

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: January 24, 2016, 02:46:59 PM »
This is true.

However, a customizable handheld could overcome developer issues with specific control schemes. I truly think western support was lost without the inclusion of a second stick on the 3DS.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: January 24, 2016, 03:30:49 PM »
Western third parties generally don't care about handhelds. Their bread and butter is on PC and consoles. Even if the right circle pad is really a problem, I expect NX-Mobile to have it for parity with NX-Console. Nintendo just has to figure out how to add the click to the circle pads which shouldn't be too much trouble.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: January 24, 2016, 05:11:59 PM »
Maybe Nintendo still sees 3rd pillar. It continues the DS line, revives the Gameboy line, continues the console line with improved connectivity. Then it binds them all together with unified steam style accounts. Play Mario anywhere.

Or maybe if they just made a phone? Gameboy MP
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: January 24, 2016, 05:21:02 PM »
One of their biggest issues right now is that they don't have the resources to adequately support two separate platforms, so I really don't think adding a third is the way to go.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #607 on: January 24, 2016, 07:33:28 PM »
Yeah, they had to pull in people to make mobile games for them, so I don't think a third pillar is the way to go.

I'm thinking the NX portable still has 2 screens, not only for backward compatibility, but also because I think Nintendo will improve on the gamepad concept.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: January 24, 2016, 08:40:27 PM »
Would that be an issue with a unified platform?

What if the platform was being held up by pillars?

Honestly during this portion of development I just speculate wildly.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/forums/index.php?topic=16688.0

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/forums/index.php?topic=16688.msg667008;topicseen#msg667008

some people got pretty close

« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 08:51:12 PM by ThePerm »

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #609 on: January 28, 2016, 02:21:58 PM »
https://twitter.com/serkantoto/status/692755598497046528

Quote from: @serkantoto on twitter

Bandai Namco is currently developing several NX titles. Smash Bros is planned to be a launch title. I am not sure about the date - yet ;).

People seem to be believing this tweet, so I wanted to drop it here.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 02:24:14 PM by nickmitch »

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #610 on: January 28, 2016, 02:25:33 PM »
I still think the NX is a handheld.  Smash 4 can gain a lot more from being on a more powerful handheld than a more powerful console.  I'm also hoping this paves the way for the Ice Climbers to come back.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: January 28, 2016, 02:51:06 PM »
NX collectively is both a handheld and console. It's just a matter of which one Nintendo releases first because there's a case to be made for each. On one hand, Wii U is languishing. Nintendo should try to replace it with a worthy and more importantly finished successor sooner rather than later. On the other hand, Nintendo essentially has the handheld market to itself again with Sony essentially bowing out quietly. Nintendo should be trying to protect that market with a successor as 3DS has been showing its age and New 3DS hardly picking up the slack. Wii U at least has a major holiday release as it continues to tout Zelda as a Wii U game though I think we can expect an NX version. Currently, 3DS has nothing announced for Q4.

Personally, I think NX-Console should launch this year (if not both) since Wii U is in such bad shape, but NX-Handheld is probably more likely. New 3DS, as expected, didn't rejuvenate sales the way Nintendo hoped it would. To date, it has one exclusive. Nintendo knows what its money maker is hardware-wise and will try to capitalize on it.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #612 on: January 28, 2016, 03:14:55 PM »
I think there's two games playable on nN3DS that aren't on the regular 3DS. I remember someone correcting me when I said there was only one.  Not that it's significantly better.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: January 28, 2016, 03:48:35 PM »
My bet is the handheld SKU launches this holiday, with the console in the first half of 2017.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: January 28, 2016, 04:27:53 PM »
As much as we want it, and as much as it would benefit Nintendo, they will not be able to get their console out this year if they want to launch it properly and with good support.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #615 on: January 28, 2016, 05:17:42 PM »
Console should go first since the 3DS is successful enough to hang on for a bit longer and the Wii U clearly is not but Nintendo are morons so they'll do handheld first.

The Wii U seemed to sell a lot better once games like Mario Kart and SSB showed up for it.  Perhaps Nintendo noticed that and think it would be important to get SSB available on the NX from day one.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #616 on: January 28, 2016, 05:48:11 PM »
Console should go first since the 3DS is successful enough to hang on for a bit longer and the Wii U clearly is not but Nintendo are morons so they'll do handheld first.

The Wii U seemed to sell a lot better once games like Mario Kart and SSB showed up for it.  Perhaps Nintendo noticed that and think it would be important to get SSB available on the NX from day one.

I think the handheld needs to go out first for reasons you stated in the second paragraph.  Let the console games cook a little longer.  Wii U had to wait for it's bigger, sexier, more notable titles.  Wait until those are absolutely ready before launching.  Wii U can ride out the year (and probably thus its existence) on Star Fox and Zelda.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: January 28, 2016, 06:17:37 PM »

I think the handheld needs to go out first for reasons you stated in the second paragraph.  Let the console games cook a little longer.  Wii U had to wait for it's bigger, sexier, more notable titles.  Wait until those are absolutely ready before launching.  Wii U can ride out the year (and probably thus its existence) on Star Fox and Zelda.

The Wii U doesn't just have to ride out "the year".  When do you think in 2017 it would launch?  Nintendo usually launches consoles around November so it's really riding things out for almost TWO years.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: January 28, 2016, 06:32:51 PM »
Nintendo has released consoles in the Spring before. I could see them doing it again if they pull it off right.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #619 on: January 28, 2016, 06:48:09 PM »

The Wii U doesn't just have to ride out "the year".  When do you think in 2017 it would launch?  Nintendo usually launches consoles around November so it's really riding things out for almost TWO years.

I was thinking closer to the summer.  But you're right.  However, I think Nintendo's got a few more unannounced games to pad it though.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: January 28, 2016, 08:43:33 PM »
Nintendo launched 3DS in February in Japan and in March in North America and Europe so it isn't afraid to launch new hardware outside of November.

Targeting different territories with specific hardware is something Nintendo should consider, and it would match up to that rumor that Nintendo is planning to ship 20 million units in 2016. Maybe Nintendo can reach that number with two separate NX products. Handhelds are more popular in Japan so naturally, it'd make sense to get NX-Handheld out there as soon as possible. It would launch with virtually no competition from other dedicated gaming products. Then, Nintendo launches NX-Console in North America and Europe. That's why it'd be really, super helpful if Zelda Wii U became NX exclusive rather than pulling another Twilight Princess and launching on both (with the NX version releasing first). Anyone who would get mad probably already attended the Internet Rage School of Boycotting, where they learned to complain, threaten to boycott then just buy the game and console anyway. Pair Zelda with Metroid and Super Smash Bros. for NX and Nintendo has a really strong first party launch lineup.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: January 29, 2016, 08:46:44 AM »
This generations there should be no excuses for a drought. The games that are supposed to come out on NX should have been in development in early 2014 or late 2013.

That's how I would plan it anyhow.

« Reply #622 on: January 29, 2016, 12:42:03 PM »
Nintendo has moved around their handhelds and other devices but have they ever released a home console outside of the holiday or Fall window? Closest I can think of was N64 that came out end of September. I am still not convinced NX has to be two separate machines, but I am convinced something from that initiative is launching this year for sure.
You can call me Mikey if my username is too long.
My favorite games are: Minecraft, Star Wars, Mario, DK, Zelda, Ninja Turtles, and Call of Duty,
I own Wii U, PS4, PS3, and PC.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: January 29, 2016, 03:21:06 PM »
Nintendo launched 3DS in February in Japan and in March in North America and Europe so it isn't afraid to launch new hardware outside of November.
The 3DS also sold poorly in its first year, so Nintendo might consider this was a factor and not just the price.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: January 29, 2016, 04:33:39 PM »
Nintendo has moved around their handhelds and other devices but have they ever released a home console outside of the holiday or Fall window?
I checked Wikipedia. Nintendo launched NES in Japan in July and SNES in North America in August.
The 3DS also sold poorly in its first year, so Nintendo might consider this was a factor and not just the price.
Nintendo knows it makes most of its money in Q4. With 3DS and Wii U, Nintendo has both met and missed releasing in that quarter. 3DS was delayed to 2011 because it wasn't ready. Wii U was rushed in 2012 despite not being ready. That said, I think Nintendo understands the common thread there. When you launch only matters if people actually want what you're selling. Both launches lacked compelling software and were priced out of what consumers deemed acceptable which is especially troubling for Wii U because at least the Basic Set was sold at a loss.

The $80 price drop helped exponentially though 3DS sales naturally improved once Nintendo actually released some software. Nintendo closed 2011 with Mario Kart 7 and Super Mario 3D Land. Depending on the territory Nintendo's first party launch lineup was Nintendogs + Cats, Steel Diver, and Pilotwings Resort. That won't get it done by any metric. Nintendo had more and better games on 3DS in nine months than Wii U did in double that time.

That why NX is probably getting a shared library for first party games. Portable games these days are similarly as complicated and costly as console games, and Nintendo can't keep up.