Author Topic: Tales of Symphonia Remastered  (Read 3866 times)

Offline Grimace the Minace

• Matt Zawodniak
  • Score: 7
    • View Profile
Tales of Symphonia Remastered
« on: February 15, 2023, 05:03:20 AM »

Barely the bare minimum.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/reviewmini/62899/tales-of-symphonia-remastered

I have fond memories of playing Tales of Symphonia nearly 20 years ago. It was one of the first JRPGs I’d ever played, and to this day I consider it a gold standard of the genre. With a complex narrative in a massive world, fluid real-time combat, and a star-studded English dub featuring the likes of Scott Menville, Jennifer Hale, and Tara Strong, there’s plenty to love about this game. There are a few things that haven’t aged too well such as the lack of quality of life features from future Tales titles and a messy opening act with clunky exposition, but I’d still easily recommend the game to anyone looking to play an absolute classic.Unfortunately, I don’t have as many kind words for the latest remaster, which is not only the first time it’s been re-released on a Nintendo system, but also only the third time ever that the game has been made available in the west. There are enough problems with Tales of Symphonia Remastered that it feels generous calling it a remaster at all—not only does it lack any new features or improvements at all, but it retains every technical flaw from previous re-releases while managing to introduce brand new problems of its own.

Symphonia Remastered is based on the PS3 re-release from 2014, and many of its issues are inherited from that version. There’s been a lot of talk about how the game is locked to 30fps—a downgrade from the GameCube version’s 60fps that has its roots in the initial PS2 port. If that were the only issue then things might not be so bad, but the game’s art style was also compromised with inconsistent rendering for the anime-style character outlines featured in the original release. The outlines never manage to look as bold as the original GameCube version, and depending on the scene they sometimes vanish entirely. Some scenes also bizarrely have dialogue that is completely missing in PS3 and Switch versions. This isn’t a matter of censorship or an updated localization; characters will still reply to missing lines as though they were still there.

The issues with the PS3 port (which can also be found on Steam) ultimately don’t add up to much, and if you’ve never played the game before you probably won’t even notice most of them. The same can’t be said of the new issues introduced in the Remaster. Loading times between maps, which used to be miniscule, are now several seconds long. Colors are less vibrant across the board with the game’s brightness being turned down in all scenes. Textures have been AI upscaled, with visual details devolving into a smeary soup as a result. The battle UI now features texture seams not present in any other version, and small icons and text fonts now have visible compression artifacts. One especially egregious example I noticed was a small black line that consistently appeared above any lowercase w in dialogue.

Some of Symphonia’s graphical effects are now simply broken. The pause screen which previously appeared on top of whatever was happening in the game now features a plain black background. The stylish animation that transitions between exploration and combat is completely missing, replaced with a hard cut to black followed by a hard cut to white that fades in after a couple seconds. Cutscenes also appear to have lost the ability to crossfade, now abruptly jump-cutting between shots that used to be slow transitions. The only genuine improvement in this version is that the game runs at 1080p, a record high for console versions of Symphonia—but a lot has been sacrificed to get there.

So much is compromised in this remaster that if it had just been an emulator running the GameCube version in HD, then it actually would’ve been an improvement. That’s not just hyperbole; I actually checked how the GameCube version looks on a fan-made emulator rendering the game in 4K, and the result speaks for itself. There are no compression artifacts in the UI, there are no visible texture seams, the character outlines are fully intact, and the game runs at a smooth 60fps; all aspects that the official remaster fails at. The only thing the GameCube version is missing is the content that was added in the later PS2 port, but at this point I’m starting to wonder if that content is even worth the trouble.

Tales of Symphonia seems to be a game that is doomed to get a bit worse with every subsequent re-release. It’s difficult to justify calling this new version a remaster at all since it includes all of the problems with the previous version while introducing entirely new problems on top of that. The bare minimum for a port of a retro game should be that you won’t notice any technical problems if you haven’t played the original, and Tales of Symphonia Remastered does not even clear that bar. It is playable; it’s still Tales of Symphonia, but that is the absolute least we can ask of it, and that is the absolute most we’ve gotten from it.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: Tales of Symphonia Remastered
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2023, 07:43:44 PM »
What's with all the monkey's paw remasters lately? First Baten Kaitos 1&2 HD, now this (yes, I know ToSR was announced first. Bear with me). And both from Bandai Namco.  >:(

Symphonia is not only my favorite Tales game, but one of my favorite games ever, so seeing Bandai Namco give so little of a **** about the most successful game in the series is alarming

That said, I'm curious how much of the weird new technical issues are due to this being the Switch version or whether all the versions have these problems.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2023, 09:16:59 PM »
I played the Steam version of this near launch a few years ago and it sounds like there needs to be a patch for this much like the Steam version needed one. 

Symphonia is one of my faves in the series but I still have to finish several RPGs on the Switch like Tales of Vesperia, Live A Live, Pokemon Scarlet, Chrono Cross:Dreamers Edition.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2023, 04:57:00 PM »
This remaster seems like a colossal waste of time. Like why even do this if you’re going to quarter-ass it so badly?

I have the GameCube version somewhere though the years have been unkind, and I completely forgot there was a PS2 version with extra content. I looked it up, and I don’t think I’m missing much.

Companies keep whiffing these remasters from what I’ve been reading. I recently looked up Chrono Cross: Radical Dreamers Edition, and that similarly seems like a missed opportunity. Get your **** together, guys. Is it really that difficult to remaster these games?

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2023, 09:50:46 PM »
This remaster seems like a colossal waste of time. Like why even do this if you’re going to quarter-ass it so badly?

I have the GameCube version somewhere though the years have been unkind, and I completely forgot there was a PS2 version with extra content. I looked it up, and I don’t think I’m missing much.

Companies keep whiffing these remasters from what I’ve been reading. I recently looked up Chrono Cross: Radical Dreamers Edition, and that similarly seems like a missed opportunity. Get your **** together, guys. Is it really that difficult to remaster these games?

Funny you should bring up the Chrono Cross remaster, because Square Enix recently announced that they were patching the remaster to make it suck less.

Good luck with that, Square Enix. At the end of the day, it's still Chrono Cross.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/after-a-year-of-tech-issues-chrono-cross-the-radical-dreamers-is-getting-a-performance-patch
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.