Author Topic: Can we laugh at the Sovereign Citizen movement,  (Read 3447 times)

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
Can we laugh at the Sovereign Citizen movement,
« on: August 07, 2018, 03:43:03 AM »

This isn't even a political thing to be honest. It's people mostly people being idiots (and lets keep the focus on the people being idiots part.)

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
Re: Can we laugh at the Sovereign Citizen movement,
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2018, 12:44:32 AM »

Your legal system is no match for my staff that I stuck a bunch of feathers on.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 03:47:49 AM by pokepal148 »

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2018, 12:58:21 PM »
What in the world are these people hoping to accomplish?
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2018, 05:55:30 PM »
From what I can tell, they are hoping to find a loophole in the law so that they can break the law without any consequences.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2018, 08:28:18 PM »
From what I can tell, they are hoping to find a loophole in the law so that they can break the law without any consequences.

With a large enough political donation to the right elected official you can break the law without any consequences anyway HEYO!!! GET THE POLITICS IN BEFORE KHUSH WEEK

(Don't get the politics in before Khush week or any other week. Not everything needs to be political. Your mom is a political)

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2018, 11:47:05 AM »
What in the world are these people hoping to accomplish?

Semi-serious answer: I guess they kiiiiinda have a point that it's basically impossible to choose to be a non-state citizen, without moving to like, Antarctica/the high seas/the Moon. Living in a state tends to come with obligations towards that state (taxes, expectation of being held to said state's laws), but because nation-states are so prolific and basically cover most of the habitable Earth, you can't really opt out of those obligations.

In practice, the only benefits of being a sovereign citizen would be precisely that - the ability to break laws and duck taxes. (Well, I guess you might feel super empowered or whatever, being sovereign and all.) That said, these people probably still wanna use roads, public courts, hospitals, maybe schools - so it's not like they're prepared to completely opt out of public life.
Seems like they want to enjoy benefits of modern states without contributing to them by paying tax and obeying laws? I wonder if the movement has sincere believers, or if most of them are like the guy here trying to get out of a DUI haha.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2018, 01:07:45 PM »
Thanks for the answers. Only thing I saw possibly happening was the guy tripping up the judge into making an error that got him out on a technicality, but that judge wasn't having any of that nonsense.

Adversely, now that I watched those videos, YouTube thinks I'm all about watching these clowns.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2018, 10:59:57 AM »
Mostly just attempting tax evasion and fines. I haven't seen one claim Sovereign Citizen for murder.

They should grant them stateless persons status sometime. Refugees are a level above that in many ways. But the paper work wouldn't be worth it.

If you are super lucky you get stuck in an airport which give you comfort and options well above your typical refugee. Laws of the state you currently reside in still apply and what protections you get are bases on international treatise/conventions which have varying levels of compliance.

Outside of an airport is LOL. SC would actually giving up a lot of rights and protections of being a citizen yet have no more ability than before to break laws of the land.

People can't be a nation state without force of arms, a nuke might do it if you could defend that which again falls under force of arms. Or a security guarantee (Taiwan satisfies both) EU, NATO to enforce their own laws or prevent invasion. Diplomatic immunity isn't automatically extended.

Nowhere else would give SC's the time of day even for some amusement so I am not sure why US judges are willing to humour them so often.

If they are really serious the closet they can get is living in a remote isolated wildness like tribes in the Amazon which do have a security guarantee of sort from Brazil, have most of the powers of a nation state without technically being one. Somalia during anarchy.

Nation States is a sort of a derivative as it is fundamentally civilisation.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?