Author Topic: Disney+  (Read 139826 times)

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Re: Disney+
« Reply #175 on: December 29, 2019, 04:19:45 PM »
yeah, it blows my mind they had nothing Marvel ready in the launch window. They have kinda bungled the launch in my opinion. the only highlight is Mandalorian, everything else is yawn.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: December 29, 2019, 05:12:47 PM »
They took to long to do the obvious thing and fold Marvel TV under Marvel Studios, as I guess they were waiting for the rollout of D+to make the transition.

But had they just pulled the trigger silently 1yr prior, D+ could've been launch windowing with a few MCU related properties to carry us to fall of 2020.

Can we get some One Shots at the very least!?
The nostalgia trip is nice, but I need more new content that interest me asap!!

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #177 on: December 29, 2019, 06:55:16 PM »
BnM:  I think the Marvel TV being folded into the Marvel Films also has to deal with the grand plan of the Infinity Saga.  I think Disney and Marvel Films really wanted a full movie experience.  Now that big gamble is over with, they are doing something different.  Smaller and more intimate...television is perfect for that. 

I also think that television is dying and television budgets are harder to justify big expensive shows and productions.  There are a lot of expectations with television that networks want. But all of those things go away with streaming.  Need fewer than the 12 to 24 order shows, streaming that is normal.  Do you need variable run times for your episodes that don't always hit the 24 minute 45 minutes models of television.  Done.  Do you need larger budgets, that can be done too. 

I do find it annoying to wait for original content, but Disney Plus is still hell of a good deal, and I am sure Disney also wants to make sure they have some new first run shows coming out as they roll their service out to the world that will be new to everyone.  They are not going to get that world penetration until late 2020 maybe even 2021.  We will see what happens.  I can wait. 

Just yesterday I watched Thor Ragnarok again and then Lilo and Stitch.  Man, Lilo and Stitch is a great movie but surprisingly emotional. 

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: December 29, 2019, 07:16:49 PM »
Just yesterday I watched Thor Ragnarok again and then Lilo and Stitch.  Man, Lilo and Stitch is a great movie but surprisingly emotional. 

No joke on Lilo and Stich being emotional! I forgot how visceral the sisters bickering was. My niece and nephew were curious about seeing it when we were all at my parent's for Thanksgiving, and they were a little shook by the fighting as they were both rather young and a bit sheltered. I think my parents were about to turn it off but I talked the kids through it explaining how it was hard for them because of their mom and dad dying and so the older sister had to take care of the younger and they were working through how that would work, and it was a bit hard and scarry to go through. It was a good growth moment for the kids I think, because it showed them a very human and very real situation.

I subscribe to the Don Bluth logic for kid shows (paraphrased): "you can show a kid most any scary or terrifying image and as long as there is a happy ending, they will be fine".

It makes me appreciate Lilo & Stitch even more.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: December 30, 2019, 12:40:37 AM »
D+ has got a fair bit to hold my interest yet.

Sure, Mandalorian was by far the trump card, but now I'm making my way through the Clone Wars series.  Will start Rebels after that. 

The World According to Jeff Goldblum is a bit of fun if you like his style. 

Will also go through some of the newer Disney releases that I hear are good but I just haven't got around to like Moana.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #180 on: January 03, 2020, 01:22:09 PM »
Bad news, everyone!

Movies are already leaving Disney+!

The current list per the above is:
  • Dr. Dolittle
  • Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides
  • Home Alone
  • Home Alone 2
  • The Sandlot

And more may be coming in the future!
And there are films that are already set to leave Disney Plus. According to a report from Bloomberg, a few of the service’s biggest titles, like Black Panther, are currently set to lapse back to Netflix in 2026, where they were before Disney Plus launched.

That 2026 date is pretty far off, and who knows what streaming platforms will look like then, so I think Disney and Netflix will work something out.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: January 03, 2020, 01:32:43 PM »
Some of this is expected though, isn't it? 

The only thing surprising is the stealth nature, as you'd expect Disney to be as up front as possible with announcing what/when/why. 
NNID: ejamer

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #182 on: January 03, 2020, 01:43:27 PM »
It should've been a bit more expected, but the rhetoric around the launch was that D+ would be the home for all Disney content going forward.  They've since walked that back a bit.  I was surprised about the Netflix thing, to be honest.  We knew Disney had to work out something to get rights from them, but I didn't expect reversion to be in the cards.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #183 on: January 03, 2020, 03:01:43 PM »
Yeah, some pre-existing contacts gotta be honored.... or renegotiated.

It is surprising, because they left us under the impression that they had worked most of this out, but they got most of that stuff for the launch and into the new year, so I guess that's something. It's a relatively minor amount of content temporarily leaving the platform, but still something to be surprised about.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: January 03, 2020, 08:10:27 PM »
Sadly, this is nothing new for streaming. Back into the Disney Vault!â„¢

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #185 on: January 06, 2020, 07:01:03 PM »
Guess who's getting a D+ series and with the original actor for the main!?

« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 01:25:12 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: January 06, 2020, 10:25:33 PM »
Neat. The original movie is still on my "need to watch soon" list... should have done that over the holidays with my kids.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: January 07, 2020, 01:26:09 AM »
personally, I don't even remember what happens in that movie. I need to watch it again too. LOL

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #188 on: January 07, 2020, 06:08:11 AM »
That is crazy.  Disney + seems to following that Netflix magic of bringing back good franchises.  I don't remember Willow, but I remember as a kid it terrified me.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #189 on: January 07, 2020, 04:52:56 PM »
personally, I don't even remember what happens in that movie. I need to watch it again too. LOL

Good thing it's on D+ :smug:

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: January 09, 2020, 11:30:33 PM »
Well now I'm interested. PECK! PECK! PECK!

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: January 18, 2020, 04:02:12 AM »
Ewan McGregor to reprise role as Obi Wan Kenobi in an untitled Star Wars show on D+

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIcjQYUV14w

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: January 18, 2020, 05:05:37 AM »
Ewan McGregor to reprise role as Obi Wan Kenobi in an untitled Star Wars show on D+

Apparently the show is in a "troubled state" right now due to some creative differences between Disney and McGregor.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #193 on: January 18, 2020, 08:30:46 AM »
So finally sat down and watched Willow on D+.  It wasn't amazing, showing the kind of age you'd expect from a typical 80s fantasy movie, but was better than I had expected and worth watching. I feel like they did a good job with the world-building, mixing in just enough moments of magic and wonder, and that bodes well for the upcoming D+ series.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #194 on: February 14, 2020, 10:52:38 AM »

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: February 14, 2020, 06:42:32 PM »
Not too sure about this one. The Ducks will be the villains in this series, which kinda throws off what came before. But this is all based on an article I read this morning about it which puts it all in a very negative light, so maybe they are wrong?

https://www.theringer.com/tv/2020/2/12/21135245/mighty-ducks-disney-plus-series-sequel-bad-guys
My Game Collection

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #196 on: February 14, 2020, 07:30:14 PM »
Will they be bad guys or will they be rivals?  I mean that article says evil, but really, think about the plot of the Mighty Ducks a ragtag group make it as a hockey team.  They aren't just good but great...of course they would be sucked into the culture of that environment.  If anything this can really talking about competitive sports and the friends it can form and destroy.  Sounds like an interesting movie...

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: February 14, 2020, 07:33:43 PM »
Maybe The Ringer doesn’t understand the difference between antagonist and villain? 🤷â€â™€ï¸

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: February 15, 2020, 11:16:48 AM »
Good points, so I'll keep an open mind for this series. If anything else its a good excuse to rewatch the original films.
My Game Collection

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #199 on: February 26, 2020, 03:08:31 PM »
I don't know how long it takes for new eps to show up on D+, But, check out this poster for an upcoming Simpsons episode.