Author Topic: Staff Sez: Mario Kart Tracks  (Read 3091 times)

Offline NWR_Josh

• The 23rd Buchan
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
Staff Sez: Mario Kart Tracks
« on: May 26, 2014, 07:56:00 AM »

This week the staff weighs in on their most loved, and most hated, tracks.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/roundtable/37517/staff-sez-mario-kart-tracks

Another week, another Staff Sez! With Mario Kart 8 coming out in a few days, I thought it would be appropriate to ask the staff about the Mario Karts of the past. Specifically, I asked, "what is your favorite and least favorite Mario Kart track?" I received a bunch of varied responses, as you'll see below. What are your favorite and least favorite Mario Kart tracks? Let us know in the comments section below!

J.P. "First Place" Corbran

I don't know if I have a favorite track, but my absolute favorite battle mode arena is Block Fort. I can't get enough of that in the N64 and DS versions.

James "F***ing Blue Shell" Jones

Favorite: Baby Park.

Least Favorite: Baby Park

Bryan "Lightning Bolt FTW" Rose

My favorite track is Wario Stadium in Mario Kart 64. For those who remember, there was a point in the track where you had to jump over a big ledge to land on the other side. What I liked to do in GP mode was to get the lightning item, and just as I finish jumping over, I'd use the item and watch as the usual other 4 people that placed highly fall way back to an earlier part of the course. That was always awesome to me for some reason.

Least favorite...the Rainbow Road courses are awesome and overall I don't have a problem with them. I don't like the one for SNES though because there are no ledges, and that makes the track tough. Obviously, it's the last course in the game so of course it's going to be tough, but that doesn't mean I have to like it!

Zach "Baby Drivers?" Miler

I have such fond memories of Moo Moo Farm (no idea why), and I absolutely hated the Donut Plains 3 from Super Mario Kart.

Andrew "NWR Cup Champion" Brown

Favorites? Hmm.. the original Rainbow Road, Luigi's Mansion, and Piranha Plant Slide to name a few.

I detested Ribbon Road and Sunset Wilds... or most of Super Circuit in general.

Clay "Suck it, Toad" Johnson

I'll try not to think about this too hard, and instead go with my gut instinct. To that end...

Favorite: Rainbow Road from Super Mario Kart. When I think about the quintessential Mario Kart experience from my salad days, I always think about epic Grand Prix outings that culminated in tense races on this track with perfection as the only option to put my nemesis in his place. And the risk/reward element... Awesome.

Least Favorite: Toad's Turnpike from Mario Kart 64. Two things make this track jump out as an unwanted experience. The aesthetic blandness and non-Mario feel of it make it less than endearing, but the annoying non-kart vehicles that roam around put it over the top (or maybe under the bottom, in this case...).

Addison "It has a canon!" Webb

Least Favorite: Yoshi Falls (DS and Wii). It's just a boring track that I felt like I ended up playing way too much of between those two games and now I can't stand it.

Favorite: DK Mountain (Double Dash). Being shot out of the barrel cannon was such a cool thing at the time. I love the sense of speed you feel racing down that track.

Aaron "Super Double Kart 64" Brown

DK Mountain is indeed friggin' awesome. That might be my favorite as well. Although I am majorly fond of Bowser's Castle (N64) too.

My least favorite are the Ghost Valley tracks. No thanks.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
Re: Staff Sez: Mario Kart Tracks
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 07:17:00 PM »
Favorite: Ghost Valley 1, Super Nintendo, if only because it was the greatest shortcut ever and (sadly) got the Feather thrown out of the series.

Least favorite: **** Banshee Boardwalk with a broken hacksaw.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2014, 08:38:56 PM »
Fav: Rainbow road (DS)
Least fav: Luigi's mansion (ds, FRICKEN MUD)
More of a battle person, probaly why i love DS so much!
BLOCK FORT FOR THE WIN,
try: One balloon battle, noone blows up a balloon, one hit K.O
Odd man out: same as top but one person is one a team by himself, but he is the only one allowed balloons.
Classic; 3 balloons only fight to death

Try them out! ;D
Made you look ****.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 08:45:33 PM »
My favorites are:

Bowser's Castle - Mario Kart 64
Delfino Square - Mario Kart DS - I love city courses, so I'm already in love with Toad Harbor
Daisy Hills - Mario Kart 7 - I loved the setting and music.
Rainbow Road - Mario Kart 7
Luigi Mansion - Mario Kart DS
Coconut Mall - Mario Kart Wii
Sky Garden - Mario Kart: Super Circuit
Mushroom Bridge - Mario Kart: Double Dash!!
Dino Dino Jungle - Mario Kart: Double Dash!!
Airship Fortress - Mario Kart DS
DK Jungle - Mario Kart 7
Toad Factory - Mario Kart Wii
Shroom Ridge - Mario Kart DS
Baby Park - Mario Kart: Double Dash!!

I think I've listed enough! :O
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 09:49:20 PM »
Toad's Turnpike was always a group favorite for my friends. We would play it on Mirror Mode with you racing through oncoming traffic and that made it a very fun, very tense match up for us.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2014, 11:43:27 PM »
Favorite: Mario Kart 64 Mario Raceway. Just a really fun technical track for drifting. Everything from hairpin turns to quick left-right sections to even a double apex turn.

Least Favorite: SNES Rainbow Road. Just...no.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2014, 11:54:38 PM »
I like Waluigi Pinball and all Rainbow Roads.
I think Rainbow Road in GameCube game had a mad spiral down from orbit? I liked that. And SNES Rainbow Road in MK7.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline KITT 10K

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2014, 07:02:36 AM »
My to three favorites are 3. Waluigi Stadium (GameCube), 2. Rainbow Road (N64), and 1. The first Mario track in the mushroom course, (SNES, (forgot the actual name), why that one, well it was the first one I ever played so it was one I had the best time playing against my cousin with and had the most fun on).

Offline jarodea

• A man of the world, so suave and discrete, he trips over the women piled up at his feet
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2014, 08:38:12 PM »
My favorite is probably Peach Gardens (Maple Treeway, Delfino Plaza, and Koopa Cape are the runner ups).  My least favorite is Baby Park (runner ups are any of the tracks that are picked over and over in multi-player.