Author Topic: Until Dawn + Dark Pictures Anthology  (Read 3902 times)

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
Until Dawn + Dark Pictures Anthology
« on: April 06, 2019, 01:58:03 AM »
I saw this game at Wal-mart and wasn't sure what it was, but it was in the value games section at $14.99

The game starts off kinda goofy, but then it gets really really good.

It's a survival horror game with branching choice timelines. It is almost an interactive movie, but it has just enough gameplay to be an actual game. It stars Hayden Panattiere, Rami Malek, Peter Stormare, and Nichole Bloom. I played through it and beat it in a day. I haven't tried playing it differently to change the story yet.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 02:32:37 AM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: Until Dawn
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2019, 11:40:58 AM »
I'm quite fond of this one, especially with how it pretends to be stupid shlock before transitioning into a legit horror game. However, I think it's best to only play it once. Like David Cage's games, I think the game's severely lessened once you start seeing the strings behind how the game's choices work.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2019, 12:33:37 PM »
I'm quite fond of this one, especially with how it pretends to be stupid shlock before transitioning into a legit horror game. However, I think it's best to only play it once. Like David Cage's games, I think the game's severely lessened once you start seeing the strings behind how the game's choices work.

See....my wife and I enjoyed every successive playthrough we had leading up to us getting the platinum trophy.  You're right that like most games that have a branching path of outcomes, you start seeing the threads of where your choice actually matters or not, but for a video game, Until Dawn has a great story, pretty quality acting, and a lot of well placed suspense and dread inbetween story beats.

I haven't tried playing it differently to change the story yet.

I say try it again once just to see how making different choices affects people's demeanor towards each other and/or whether certain people survive. 

I also suggest now that you've played it if you want people to survive at the end, look up a walkthrough for it.  That sequence has only one set of inputs that allows for everyone's survival, so if you care about trying to get everyone through the night, you'll want to look that up to spare yourself the grief of trial and error.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 12:36:30 PM by lolmonade »

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2019, 01:58:05 PM »
Until Dawn was a lot of fun! It was more cinematics than game, but it worked!

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2019, 05:26:40 PM »
On my first playthrough Chris, Josh, Emily, and Mike died. Emily died cus I kept not giving a ****. I think I know how to keep Chris alive. Matt never seemed to be in any real danger. Mike died because I thought he could make it out at the end. No squirrels, deer,  or birdies died. I only cared about saving the cheerleader.

I'm interested in a no survivor, and an all survivor game.

Overall a very good blind purchase.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2019, 08:50:22 PM »
I also suggest now that you've played it if you want people to survive at the end, look up a walkthrough for it.  That sequence has only one set of inputs that allows for everyone's survival, so if you care about trying to get everyone through the night, you'll want to look that up to spare yourself the grief of trial and error.

Also, turn off your controller's rumble feature, because it WILL screw you over at the end.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2019, 01:09:30 AM »
I Just put my controller on a surface during no shake moments.

I sat on my bed to play.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2019, 08:15:03 AM »
Huh. That's a new one from our burgeoning Skynet: copying another poster's text & then pasting a spam link in.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
Re: Until Dawn + Dark Pictures Anthology
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2019, 02:33:36 AM »
I just played through Dark Pictures Anthology: Man of Medan
It was pretty fun. It seems shorter. I'm playing through it a second time.
8/10

It looks like theres another one coming out soon called The Dark Pictures Anthology: Little Hope
It also looks like the avatar is Will Poulter from Bandersnatch and Midsommar fame.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 03:35:37 AM by ThePerm »