Author Topic: Smash Bros. 3DS Characters/Fighters  (Read 2883 times)

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Smash Bros. 3DS Characters/Fighters
« on: October 08, 2014, 03:08:26 PM »
Who do you like? Who disappoints? Who surprises?

I've yet to really try out all characters yet myself but on the whole, I have to say that right now, this game does feel really balanced and there's only been a couple of exceptions where things seem off balance. Ike just acts like a beast to me and is my pick as the most powerful top-tier character. Bowser and DK also seem speedier and more dangerous. DK even has a bit of a roll attack when you run with him and then attack. It might not be what Caterkiller was hoping for but it is something. On the other hand, Ness has felt like one of the weakest to me and I just don't see him being very effective right now. Rosalina took me awhile to figure out with how she controls Luma and how that works. Having gone through All-Star Mode using her, I'm still not that impressed.

My main is still Kirby. Even when he was terrible in Melee, I've stuck with him. He was better in Brawl and I think he's even better here. I was even able to defeat 4 CPU's in Cruel Mode with him which I don't think I'd ever done before. I've played with the Villager a few times but he's going to take more getting used to. One thing I didn't realize but the hint/tip messages on load screen brought to my attention is that his down B of planting a tree is to unleash his axe. Don't chop down the tree. Leave it standing and then you can keep whacking people with an Axe on your down B(special) move. I guess it depends on how you set your controls.

However, having played Zero Suit Samus in All-Star last night, I am quite impressed with her and she looks like she could be an all around great fighter. I don't like Mario's FLUDD special move. It seems to do very little along with his cape. All in all, you pretty much just need to stick with his smash attacks. Luigi, on the other hand, is the Mario Bros. I would use as his special attacks are a lot more devastating in addition to his Smash attacks. I'm way more impressed by him then I ever have been.

Of course, now that you can customize moves, the potential is there to improve all fighters. If you want to make recommendations or mention customizations that work for you, well, now you have a thread for that too.

You're welcome, NWR!
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
Re: Smash Bros. 3DS Characters/Fighters
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 03:28:33 PM »
Villager and Pac-Man: awesome

Everyone else: meh

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 03:48:51 PM »
Pac-Man is Awesome.  Out of all the fighter versions I've played of him.  This is one I like the best right now.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 07:10:47 PM »
(This is a long post so I put the character names in bold for anyone who just wants to skim to a character they may want to read about.)

First things first, Sakurai didn't need to pad the roster with clones because at this point it is already extremely robust. Dark Pit, Lucina, and Dr. Mario could and should have been alts. I would have been perfectly fine with that. He could have fit more characters by going the Bowser Jr. route. Even with that, I'd probably still buy DLC characters.

The set of newcomers in this game is much better than Brawl's. They're more varied and more importantly, seem like a lot more fun to use. Brawl's newcomers were mostly obvious choices despite surprises like ROB. It's a bit strange that it took three games to include Wario and Diddy Kong. I was excited when they were announced then not terribly satisfied when I got to play as them. I was particularly let down by Wario who, even in the 3DS game, doesn't have his shoulder charge (not sure if that's a custom move). Not counting how lame the additions of Dark Pit and Lucina (though I prefer using her over Marth) are, the worst newcomer for me is Greninja, and he's still pretty good.

Wii Fit Trainer is a beast. I still fail at Deep Breathing sometimes, but I'm getting better at it.

I'm still not familiar with Shulk's Monado Arts. I like him, but he'll take some getting used to before I'm anywhere near competitive with him.

I'm glad Palutena is in the game. I'm still working out a strategy with her. I'm having trouble hitting her forward Smash move. I end up just slightly blowing away my opponents with her wings instead of devastating them with pain and suffering.

I think I may actually like Pac-Man more than Mega Man. It seems like a total waste that Mrs. Pac-Man isn't a Pac-Man alt.

Rosalina and Luma are absurdly strong. I haven't spent too much time with them, but I was doing pretty well despite not really having a working knowledge of their moveset.

Additionally, Smash 3DS improves most of the returning characters. King Dedede is still just not very fun to use.

Pit got buffed. He was good at racking up damage in Brawl then absolutely awful at getting KOs. Here, they took away his cheapest move ("Hiyayayahh") and gave his Smash moves more power.

Mario is vastly improved. This is the most fun I've had using him though I haven't really picked him since N64 when there were only 12 characters. The demo kind of forced me to try him and I'm glad I did. I'm still having some trouble hitting his forward attack in the air. And yes, FLUDD is downright useless. The cape is useful in very specific situations beyond just countering projectiles. For example, if Little Mac does that lunging punch, use the cape to turn him around and if he's near an edge, he can't recover.

Link was so amazing in Melee then just not very good in Brawl. Here, they've struck a good balance. Toon Link absolutely deserves a roster spot yet is still a completely wasted opportunity. For a series as important as The Legend of Zelda, it's pretty inexcusable to have two characters still be clones.

Peach is definitely faster now, possibly the fastest she's ever been even by Melee standards. She was awesome in Melee then nerfed to all hell in Brawl. I haven't spent too much time with her. I definitely can't spam turnips as egregiously now. I'm still upset that despite some minor alterations to her moves, none of them take cues from Super Princess Peach. Her final Smash is still awful.

I've definitely put the most time into playing as Busty Samus. She's awesome in this game because of her rocket boots. Her forward Smash move is far improved. In fact, her everything is improved because she was flat out fucking awful in Brawl.

I'll comment more on other characters later as I've spent a lot of time going back and forth between playing a certain character then writing short blurbs about them.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2014, 07:29:27 PM »
Zero Suit Samus was close to being my main in Brawl but the switching play style threw me off (though I was getting better with regular Samus as a side effect). This may sink the deal for her becoming a main now. Kirby has always been my fall back main for the series but I've slowly branched away from him.

I'm thinking Villager could become a very common choice for me as I had a blast with him in the demo.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2014, 07:33:52 PM »
Charizard has the potential to be a full on wrecking ball.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2014, 09:30:27 AM »
Thinking about it I am really disappointed about Peach not having any of her Super Princess Peach abilities.  I buy a DLC character that was Peach with a full moveset only from Super Princess Peach.  It be really easy to do.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2014, 03:15:16 PM »
So, I went through All-Star mode with King Dedede yesterday. Man, he is hilarious to play. I love his expressions and taunts. He has one move where he ends up relaxing on the ground after hitting someone. I am with Pokepal and do miss the callous disregard for Waddle Dees he had by chucking them at players. Maybe it is an unlockable customizable move.

However, the one thing I found most hilarious about him was that he sucks players in like Kirby but you can only shoot the players back out of your mouth. So, on a few stages I went to the edge of the map and sucked in an opponent and then turned and spit them out off screen KO'ing them. I love it. Unfortunately, Dedede struck me as too slow still. Maybe on the next iteration or Wii U version, he'll be a bit faster like DK and Bowser are in this game.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2014, 04:38:50 PM »
I campaigned on Miiverse for well over a year asking for that roll attack and while it isn't that fast it is better than that kongo kick and has much more utility since it pushes enemies forward. I am loving DK and Bowser. Bowser got some major upgrades in his movement options, speed and power. I'll miss the advanced technique of koopa hopping but that might make him too powerful. DK can't cargo throw under the stage... So disappointing but I'll live.

Yoshi has really surprised me and I can't believe how much I'm gravitating to the character I used to pretend to be on the school yard. Same goes for Bowser Jr. I thought I would only pick heavies but these guys just really speak to me. Their animations are just so cool/cute!

Kush I met a Ness who was an absolute demon. I like to think myself pretty good and he just mopped the floor with me every single time. Pk thunder and his grab game throw me for a loop.

Little Mac gives me trouble cause I just don't know how to deal with him a lot of time. Mostly because much of his moves look so similar and have armor! But his weakness is easily exploitable once he is thrown over board.

Duck Hunt is just so cool! Pac Man too!
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2014, 11:45:38 PM »
Little Mac is amusing to me because, to be honest, I've never felt that Final Destination was a perfectly balanced stage and now Little Mac has come in to prove my point.

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2014, 12:44:44 AM »
The more I receive the more I rape your arse.
O.K Lucina's completely different to marth being more agile than him with different specials
Dark pit though.... WHAT THE ACTUALLY FARK!!! why would you put him in in the first place!
And doctor Mario is the same as Mario in every fricken why except that his fireballs are pills {insert drug reference here} even his final smash is the same.

Most characters I like and enjoy but here are some really o.p ones that I hate:
Duck hunt flippin duo so god damn op smash block launch repeat without chance of fighting back
Little mac do I need to explain?
and last but Definitely not least R.O.B the mother of o.p Satanist's himself, the guys a walking tank with so much defence and recovery that it's hard as hell to launch him.

Mii's are pretty lame to except for swordfighter which is actually pretty much a walking badass, O.K. he has no range moves but his close quarters combat is unmatched.

Oh yeah one more thing....
FFFOOOCCCUUUSSS BBBLLLAAASSSTTT!!!to the face!
Yours truly,
Lucario
Made you look ****.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2014, 12:46:23 AM »
The custom equipment pretty much makes every character great in this game.  Like I said in the other Smash thread, any character I don't like, I just make them better.

Can you imagine what it would have been like to make Kirby in Melee stronger, or Ganondorf in Brawl faster?  Well now in this Smash Bros, I can literally do that.  Any character who has a huge weakness like being too weak or too slow, I can fix that.  It really is the greatest feature Smash Bros has every introduced.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai