Author Topic: DS Hardware Selling Well; Software Sales Slow  (Read 11626 times)

Offline Rize

• Disgruntled
  • Score: -2
    • View Profile
RE:DS Hardware Selling Well; Software Sales Slow
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2005, 07:05:33 AM »
The Dreamcast had unit shortages at one time if I remember correctly.  Don't take that as an indication of future success.  Unlike with the PS2, by the time units come available, Nintendo may have taken all the wind out of Sony's sails.  One thing I'm confident of is that Nintendo will have a lot more units to go around a lot faster than Sony will.

Offline ssj4_android

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: DS Hardware Selling Well; Software Sales Slow
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2005, 10:13:00 AM »
Is there still a DS unit shortage? Meijer advertised DSes in their sale. They had 15% off, so I got a DS for less than $130 (w/o tax). Well, it did say something like 30,000 chain wide, and I went in the morning, and I saw 6 or so more.

Offline ruby_onix

• Obsessive Sailormoon Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2005, 01:05:40 PM »
On the subject of "shortages", these (Japanese) numbers were posted in another thread.

Sold / Shipped
Nintendo DS = 1,657,684 / 1,800,000
Sony PSP = 608,906 / 800,000

This would indicate that there are 142,316 DS units sitting on the shelves in Japan, and that it's had a 92% sellout rate.

While the PSP has 191,094 sitting on the shelves, and a 76% sellout rate.

Of course, Sony has supposedly ramped up their production lately, but still, it looks funny when you see the mainstream media constantly ooohing and ahhhing over the PSP, saying it must be doing amazing, because it's sold out, while at the same time they just dismiss the Nintendo DS.
Poor people should eat wheat!
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2005, 01:22:13 PM »
Everyone's buying a DS then picking up copies of Chuck Rock from Game Gear to play on it, I'm sure of it. I have my sauces. BIG RED.

"Why does my Chuck Rock not work? I shall never buy another game for this system now, I am rage"
"Would you like to play Metroid Hunters death match with me?"
"NO I'M GOING TO EAT SOME TILES FROM THE BATHROOM"
"k"

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2005, 01:22:53 AM »
INFERNAL, YOUR SAUCES LIE! MUSTARD TOLD ME THAT THEY'RE ALL BUYING COOL SPOT BECAUSE IT WAS COOL TO BE A CANDY WITH LIMBS BACK IN THE 90s. EVERYTHING WAS COOL THEN!

Man I miss that game.

Offline Avinash_Tyagi

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2005, 03:39:30 AM »

Of course, Sony has supposedly ramped up their production lately, but still, it looks funny when you see the mainstream media constantly ooohing and ahhhing over the PSP, saying it must be doing amazing, because it's sold out, while at the same time they just dismiss the Nintendo DS.

By now you should realize that when it comes to Nintendo the mainstream media is required to say only negative things.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2005, 06:16:07 AM »

THEY'RE ALL BUYING COOL SPOT BECAUSE IT WAS COOL TO BE A CANDY WITH LIMBS BACK IN THE 90s

Actually, I believe that is the red spot from the 7up cans, not a piece of candy.  

Offline vherub

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2005, 10:56:19 AM »
where's the historical perspective?
where's the software sold when the backwards-compatible gba was initially released?
what's the buying pattern of the typical handheld owner and on what did nintendo initially base their 15 million estimate that they would be so far off the mark?